• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

Alright. So let's say they are implementing what they're saying for a second. That still means that there will barely be any interaction with the environment, since walking around on infinitely large planets that are populated by the same shit is just not going to be very interesting.

Imagine Nintendo making another Wind Waker, but now the ocean is infinitely long. How is that fun? That's why there are DESIGNERS that actually LABOR over putting proper content into these games, that LABOR over making that content FUN. Saying that this'll be replaced by procedural generation is A grade BULLSHIT. And the dev does nothing to make people understand how far the procedural generation actually goes. I've been reading misinformed crap like "Every object in this world is procedurally generated" - Well, here's news: All these ships you've seen, all the dinosaurs, they were carefully modeled by an artist. You'll see as many of these models as they have manpower to create. And since they're 10 people, I wouldn't expect a whole lot, except for maybe cheap tricks like changing the hue of the textures, etc., but that's just... blah.

Now, I still hear people constantly comparing this game to Minecraft. It's not Minecraft. In Minecraft, you can interact with absolutely everything, that's part of it's genius. I can promise you that with the tech they're using, that will not be the case for NMS. And it bothers me that they're not clarifying that, that they just leave people thinking that you'll pretty much be able to do EVERYTHING in this game (Which is why I'm saying that the Molyneux is strong with this game), when in fact you'll be able to do absolutely nothing.

IF you guys are actually super happy about Fetch Quest: A Space Adventure, then fucking A, this will be the game for you. I bet the gameplay will literally be:

Fly around in the universe. To get closer to the center, you need a ship that's made out of resource X. Fly to Planet Y and run around like a crazy person to find that resource. Get out of your spaceship and mine it. Bring it to some outpost in space and sell it to buy a better space ship. Rinse and repeat.

Now, the question is: Is that fun? There's a VERY GOOD reason why AAA developers are NOT jumping on this shit, even though procedural generation hasn't been anything magical for a long ass time. IT's because the resulting gameplay is impossible to scale. Most of the time, the game will feel like Proteus. And if that's your thing, great, you'll get Proteus x 5.000 with this thing. But I do think people expect WAAAAAAAAY more and if you just read over what people and (and that's the sad part) THE PRESS has been writing about this game, they're just inflating what you'll actually be able to do to infinity.

And it should be very obvious to anyone who's thinking rationally that them not showing any real gameplay has a real reason: There isn't any. If you just add a couple of 'simple systems that everyone is able to code!', like Amirox states, then this game will just be absolutely mediocre, laborious and boring.

Guys, there's a reason why a Nintendo works with 100 developers on a game like Zelda and tries to put as much cool stuff into every single area as possible: That's the only way to turn this kinda stuff into something that's fun to play. This is pretty much a tech demo, not a game and the developers misleading people into thinking that there'll be soooo much to do is just a modern equivalent of a Snake Oil Salesman showing people his miraculous wares that actually turn out to not work too well or at all.

At the end of the day, games are about fun. They're about gameplay. Gameplay is all about interactivity. In an infinite galaxy that's just based on some stupid algorithms, you'll not have that. There is no 'Make Art' button in technology and there never will be. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just a fact.

If you guys are cool with doing super boring simple fetch quests in an insanely large world while boring yourself to death, this will be your game. If you expect actual gameplay and being able to interact with this world... I doubt this game is what you think it is.

MouldyK

He didn't warp to an undiscovered planet, he warped to a unexplored solar system.

and that last question is kind of weird, idk how to even answer it other than what's on the other side of the planet is...the other side of the planet?

Still, what prevents you from warping to a unexplored solar system MUCH closer to the centre?

And what I meant is: Do we have to explore every inch of a planet just to find one small outpost or mine or something? Because what i'm seeing is 99.99% of the Planets...or even the whole Universe, in this game being useless.

I just think this game really needs to balance exploration of the unknown and FUN really well. Like, reading a Zelda U thread, people are saying that world looks empty, but No Man's Sky could suffer from that on a grander scale depending on how they handle it all.

1. That is part of the "portal" gameplay they detailed in the Game Informer article. Basically, some planets have abandoned alien technology like the portal. The portal is a risk for the player... it takes you to a completely random place in the universe (entire unexplored solar systems or planets or whatever). So it can take you to a planet teeming with life and interesting things to see, or it can take you to a barren wasteland. Or very special secrets. It works exactly like you see in the trailer. You see the portal, and then if you decide to walk through it you'll be somewhere completely different. It could potentially be on the entire other side of the universe, putting you further from your quest to get to the center of the universe. Or it could bring you much closer.

2. Most planets are going to be dead husks that are only viable for resource gathering/cargo gathering. 90% is the quoted number for that. The other 10% will have life, alien technology, objectives, etc. As you get closer to the center of the universe, you'll begin to see more related to the narrative.

1. Does the ship follow you through the portal? Because if not, you might be closer, but shipless.

2. 90% of planets will be useless except for minerals, sure. That's fair, but how much space of that planet will be actually useful? I might decide to land on a planet and just land in the wrong area and deem it useless. And the other 10% will have life, sure, but how much of that planet will be lively? I might just land on a part of the planet which is useless, when really the planet holds valuable things, but I have to search THE WHOLE PLANET for that 1% which has the base.

It would be graet if you can land o any place of a planet gut I guees it will be fixed points like the first Mass Effect, although it seems once you land you can travel to any place yuo want but maybe it is somethint that wont let you travel so much distances like oxigen depleting on your mask , weather , food , etc like in real life.

I was thinking this might be the case too.

Amir0x

Banned
Alright. So let's say they are implementing what they're saying for a second. That still means that there will barely be any interaction with the environment, since walking around on infinitely large planets that are populated by the same shit is just not going to be very interesting.

Imagine Nintendo making another Wind Waker, but now the ocean is infinitely long. How is that fun? That's why there are DESIGNERS that actually LABOR over putting proper content into these games, that LABOR over making that content FUN.

Now, I still hear people constantly comparing this game to Minecraft. It's not Minecraft. In Minecraft, you can interact with absolutely everything, that's part of it's genius. I can promise you that with the tech they're using, that will not be the case for NMS. And it bothers me that they're not clarifying that, that they just leave people thinking that you'll pretty much be able to do EVERYTHING in this game (Which is why I'm saying that the Molyneux is strong with this game), when in fact you'll be able to do absolutely nothing.

IF you guys are actually super happy about Fetch Quest: A Space Adventure, then fucking A, this will be the game for you. I bet the gameplay will literally be:

Fly around in the universe. To get closer to the center, you need a ship that's made out of resource X. Fly to Planet Y and run around like a crazy person to find that resource. Get out of your spaceship and mine it. Bring it to some outpost in space and sell it to buy a better space ship. Rinse and repeat.

Now, the question is: Is that fun? There's a VERY GOOD reason why AAA developers are NOT jumping on this shit, even though procedural generation hasn't been anything magical for a long ass time. IT's because the resulting gameplay is impossible to scale. Most of the time, the game will feel like Proteus. And if that's your thing, great, you'll get Proteus x 5.000 with this thing. But I do think people expect WAAAAAAAAY more and if you just read over what people and (and that's the sad part) THE PRESS has been writing about this game, they're just inflating what you'll actually be able to do to infinity.

And it should be very obvious to anyone who's thinking rationally that them not showing any real gameplay has a real reason: There isn't any. If you just add a couple of 'simple systems that everyone is able to code!', like Amirox states, then this game will just be absolutely mediocre, laborious and boring.

Guys, there's a reason why a Nintendo works with 100 developers on a game like Zelda and tries to put as much cool stuff into every single area as possible: That's the only way to turn this kinda stuff into something that's fun to play. This is pretty much a tech demo, not a game and the developers misleading people into thinking that there'll be soooo much to do is just a modern equivalent of a Snake Oil Salesman showing people his miraculous wares that actually turn out to not work too well or at all.

At the end of the day, games are about fun. They're about gameplay. Gameplay is all about interactivity. In an infinite galaxy that's just based on some stupid algorithms, you'll not have that. There is no 'Make Art' button in technology and there never will be. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just a fact.

If you guys are cool with doing super boring simple fetch quests in an insanely large world while boring yourself to death, this will be your game. If you expect actual gameplay and being able to interact with this world... I doubt this game is what you think it is.

so conjecture and more conjecture about what you think is fun and what you think they'll be able to do with the gameplay systems already announced (all of which sound fun to me and many others)

This right here sums up the brazenness of your commentary, I suppose because of your 'ten years of illustrious game development experience';

That's the only way to turn this kinda stuff into something that's fun to play.

Because it's not the only way and it has never been the only way and your extremely specific analysis of what you think is fun to play is irrelevant to Hello Game's ability to deliver on the systems they've already announced.

None of which are difficult to do, relatively speaking. If you read these features and expect anything other than exactly what they have been described to be, that's not Hello Game's fault.

Chev

That's an assumption that's already contradicted by previous free roaming space games though.

Because it's not the only way and it has never been the only way and your extremely specific analysis of what you think is fun to play is irrelevant to Hello Game's ability to deliver on the systems they've already announced.

I'll be back to tell you 'I told you so' when this game gets 6/10s and 7/10s and 'holy shit, we thought you'd be able to do much more!' commentaries in all reviews later this year.

That's an assumption that's already contradicted by previous free roaming space games though.

Yeah? How many games that used procedural generation in the way NMS is doing it have actually become big hits?

Yes, Elite was cool back then, but it was mostly cool due to its novelty. What else? The games industry hasn't adpoted procedural generation as a means to an end for an obvious reason: The games that tried it sucked.

Shengar

lol you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
I've seen this shit before, played the hell out of it from a game that created 10 years ago by russian developer.
It have randomly generated galaxy
It have trading
It have turn based space combat
It have RTS element
Randomly generated world doesn't mean all the shit in it is randomly generated

I'll be back to tell you 'I told you so' when this game gets 6/10s and 7/10s and 'holy shit, we thought you'd be able to do much more!' commentaries in all reviews later this year.
Holy shit, you really take this seriously, do you? Does this game existence and people hope to it hurts your dignity and pride that much?

Yeah? How many games that used procedural generation in the way NMS is doing it have actually become big hits?

Yes, Elite was cool back then, but it was mostly cool due to its novelty. What else? The games industry hasn't adpoted procedural generation as a means to an end for an obvious reason: The games that tried it sucked.
lol playing the industry trend card I see
I guess there's no point further we can made with this man, people.

Amir0x

Banned

i'm sorry you thought argumentum ad populum was going to be effective? I don't give a shit how it reviews, as long as it does what it says it was going to do.

I know exactly what we can expect and exactly what gameplay systems there are. Unless you believe they are lying and none of that stuff is in the game, there's nothing to debate.

It's possible the actual execution of those features will be less than stellar, but that's the same risk every game release has before I play it. None of that is related to No Man Sky or how ambitious (or not) it is being.

So, basically all you're telling me is the exact same thing any fucking idiot knows about gaming: surprise, the game you're anticipating might not turn out great!

*clap clap clap*

Still, what prevents you from warping to a unexplored solar system MUCH closer to the centre?

And what I meant is: Do we have to explore every inch of a planet just to find one small outpost or mine or something? Because what i'm seeing is 99.99% of the Planets...or even the whole Universe, in this game being useless.

I just think this game really needs to balance exploration of the unknown and FUN really well. Like, reading a Zelda U thread, people are saying that world looks empty, but No Man's Sky could suffer from that on a grander scale depending on how they handle it all.
Well, we know you have fuel that you have to maintain to fly your ship, but whether that is used for warp drives or not idk, but surely some kind of resource is required, if it's not fuel itself.

Answer to second question is not very clear either, but we've seen waypoints for the player at least THREE times now, first time (in the portal trailer) led to a crashed ship with a portal to a whole new planet next to it, second time (ice planet of the galaxy trailer) led to an outpost where the player could trade resources, and the third time (desert planet he warped to) it wasn't shown exactly where the waypoint led to, but you could see it leading to a large structure off in the distance. There may have been other times as well but I haven't watched the old trailers in a while really.

The world does seem very alive though, animals EVERYWHERE, robots flying around, ships flying around, entire fleets in space, space stations floating in space. Yes, we've seen a good amount of emptyness when they fly over some planets, but we've also seen other areas that are alive with many things around you. And even if you do find yourself in a barren wasteland, you can easily just get in your ship and fly somewhere else for the most part, unless you run out of fuel or something.

1. Does the ship follow you through the portal? Because if not, you might be closer, but shipless.
no, it doesn't. you're meant to go through the portal and bring back as much stuff as you can find, at least thats the way it sounded when the dev talked about it a little bit.
I was thinking this might be the case too.
you can land wherever you want, and walk around the entire planet if you want. No boundaries or limits at all.

tmespe

Imagine Nintendo making another Wind Waker, but now the ocean is infinitely long. How is that fun? That's why there are DESIGNERS that actually LABOR over putting proper content into these games, that LABOR over making that content FUN.

The Wind Waker comparison is bullshit. There are an incredible amount of planets to explore, with different environments, creatures and possible mysteries. It's clear from all the threads you come into and shit on this game, that this kind of game is not for you. That's okay, and nobody cares about that. Go play other games that have clearer objectives, a narrated story and shooting. There are thousands of those games you can chose from. Can't you just accept that for some of us exploring an entire universe of different planets and creatures is enough? They have been plenty clear on that ultimately, this game revolves around that. That is their vision, and this vision sounds very appealing to some people. The developers don't owe you anything. They don't need to cater this game specifically around what you want in a game.

legacyzero

Banned
This thread...

ibhLk70D6SvqNE.gif

dalin80

Banned
The only area I would like to see expanded info on is ship customization and choices, how diverse that area is and what effects it has. I don't think it's going to happen but would love to see the player fly larger ships as well, I'm not greedy but having my own millennium falcon to chill about in would be sweet.

Also a little buggy that bolts onto the back of the ship would be great as well, hell we put a buggy on the moon for ease of travel so why not one for exploring planets?

Gray Matter

If we keep getting threads/posts asking what NMS actually is, hello games have done a poor job explaining what their game is about.

Magnus

This gets asked, and answered, in every topic about this game.

That in itself should be pretty telling of a communication problem about the game imo - the message isn't clear about what the point of the game is. I mean, yeah, the info's out there if you want to search and look up posts on GAF etc, but it seems like with all of the time in the spotlight the game's had so far, it could have done a better job of showcasing what it's all about besides just being huge

sappyday

If we keep getting threads/posts asking what NMS actually is, hello games have done a poor job explaining what their game is about.
It's an exploration game. You explore the universe. That's shown in the trailer. The problem is people expect/want more out of it for some reason.

Or people have done a poor job in comprehending what they have seen/read.

That in itself should be pretty telling of a communication problem about the game imo - the message isn't clear about what the point of the game is. I mean, yeah, the info's out there if you want to search and look up posts on GAF etc, but it seems like with all of the time in the spotlight the game's had so far, it could have done a better job of showcasing what it's all about besides just being huge
Sean literally explained it just about every time he went up on stage before a new trailer was shown what the basic premise of the game is. Procedural galaxy for everyone to share and explore. Then the trailers proceed to show exactly that.

People are just way too hung up on exact details and blowing the slight lack of info out of proportion. The game isn't coming out next week, there is still plenty of time for them to reveal every little detail they decide to reveal.

If the goal is to reach the center of the universe, it'd be nice if they came out and said a) why that is your goal, b) why you can't just go there immediately (need more of an explanation than "you need fuel"), and c) how the side stuff works into the goal or whatever story there may be.

I don't even need a goal, for example I loved Minecraft before there was The End and whatnot, but if Minecraft is exploration and building, NMS obviously has the former but I still don't understand what it's equivalent of the latter is. Exploration is great but it gets old without anything driving it, I'd consider the "game" of Minecraft to be the building.

Kuraudo

Banned
I hadn't really been following this game until this weekend, but the trailers and this thread have totally sold me on it. The style is incredible and I've a huge weakness for space, but the gameplay description sounds phenomenal. I hope they pull it off, because if so I think it could probably be one of the most immersive experiences ever.

wildfire

Banned
Thankfully some people are willing to answer questions.

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers. That is where interest for some people starts and ends. That is a completely valid criticism.

That's disingenuous. All it takes for most people to like a game is seeing a little bit of combat in the trailer.

The NMS trailers have shown more than that but the presentation has been bland.

It's obvious there is space combat as well as ground combat. Whether or not the mechanics are actually enjoyable is a another matter.

In the most recent trailer they showed off that there is a lot of exploration you can do and that you can collect resources. The resource collection interaction looked very barebones. As for exploration it all depends on whether or not by having literally hundreds of thousands of star systems that at least 1 unique element can be found in that star system ( take not that system is a superset of planets (it was implied some planets in a system will be boring)).

It was shown that there will be NPCs. How you interact with those NPCs remains unclear.

Or some people are not willing to except games can exist that are outside of their predefined rules of what a game should be.

I'm pretty shocked by the developer at the top of the page and his view of what is and isn't fun.

Yeah but no game has done it to this extent..

And for your other post.. The more you do on a planet (i.e mining ) and change the planet makes you a target for the robots on the planets that try to keep the balance of planets. So the more you do has consequences. Hell you could go to a planet and kill off a entire species.. And from then on out that species is extinct.

You find another player.. shoot him and steal his loot. You'll get the "police" on you. There's AI enemies too.

You have this notion that this game literally is just "go to a planet.. get things.. trade.. get fuel.. get to a closer planet.. and repeat" There's enemies you have to worry about.. there are other players you have to look out for.. environment to look out for.

I mean if "this game isn't for you" then why worry about the mechanics of it?

tmespe

It's an exploration game. You explore the universe. That's shown in the trailer. The problem is people expect/want more out of it for some reason.
Exactly. It's plenty clear what the game is about. For some reason it's to hard for people to accept a game without objective markers and a scripted narrative. Sometimes I wonder what people do in real life. Do you set up your phone to show you objectives to get through the day?

sappyday

If the goal is to reach the center of the universe, it'd be nice if they came out and said a) why that is your goal, b) why you can't just go there immediately (need more of an explanation than "you need fuel"), and c) how the side stuff works into the goal or whatever story there may be.
There's a reason for it. They're just not gonna spoil it. It's taking it story very minimal.

legacyzero

Banned

Bullshit.

Hello has been PERFECTLY OPEN to what the game is. THEY EVEN SHOWED THE FUCKING TECHNOLOGY FOR A HALF HOUR

People just want to check their boxes, fill their bars, blow shit up, travel in a straight line for 5-6 hours, press X to not die, etc.

This game is clearly not that, and for some reason, it's confusing to some.

IT'S EMERGENT GAMEPLAY. That game creates the palette. YOU paint the picture.

Bullshit.

Hello has been PERFECTLY OPEN to what the game is. THEY EVEN SHOWED THE FUCKING TECHNOLOGY FOR A HALF HOUR

People just want to check their boxes, fill their bars, blow shit up, travel in a straight line for 5-6 hours, press X to not die, etc.

I think Hello Games needs to throw in a "Press X to understand" prompt in the next trailer and hit the X button for these people.

Nokterian

Bullshit.

Problem is also CoD/AC Crowd have been brainwashed instead using there imagination and curiosity for a game like No Man's Sky.

To address some questions here

You can't warp however far you want to. Sean was pretty much on god mode for trailer purposes.

I remember reading/hearing that walking through portals ALWAYS takes you to a planet closer to the center, but I can't remember for sure where I got it from.

You can't bring your ship through a portal.

When the game is actually released, the OT title has to be something along the lines of 'But what do you actually DO in the game.' It's worse than corridor racer at this point.

Gray Matter

And how long will that last until it gets dull? According to Sean Murray there are millions upon millions of planets to explore. At some point, like any other game, it's just going to get boring. And for me, I think that will come faster because so far I haven't seen anything else to do besides exploring.

What about community events where players get together to gather resources that are difficult to attain.

Setting up "communities" that people make their base.

There's a lot of things that can be done, they have just been saying the same thing over and over since the reveal. We get it, is big, very big. But what else?

PS: apologies if it seems I'm shitting on the game. Is not my intention, I'm just really skeptical that hello games have a vision that is too ambitious for them to deliver on.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
None of the people who are so confused about what the game actually is seem to have been interested enough to even check the game's own website, which lays out all the basic details pretty clearly. If anything, that's a good job on the dev's part of distinguishing who is actually interested in the game.

madp0k

Will only buy if there is double XP, a season pass and an eight hour tutorial with a horde mode.

I am being sarcastic as fuck if you couldn't guess, day 1 for me, all up for something different, the more of these kind of games that do well, the more our pastime will be pushed beyond endless continuations of the same 8 games

Amir0x

Banned

a) Explaining why you reach need to the center is ruining the plot (it's meant to discover what is going on in the center that is disrupting the universe). They have very clearly chosen to not give out that information so that plays can get the sense of discovery:

Sean Murray said:
There is a lore to the universe and we adhere to that but we're not going to tell you," Murray said. "We're not going to describe it to you. You can read into that whatever you want. We're not going to tell you who you are or why you're there. We have our story.

We know that pretty quickly that is your main thrust to find out what is going on at the center of the galaxy. It takes 40-100 hours to get there. You will find out why you're going there when you load up the game, or when someone spoils it for you :p

b) Because your initial spacecraft is not powerful enough for true interstellar exploration.

When you start the game off as this...somebody, you start off with a ship. It can go as far as space but not deep into interstellar travel. To do that, you'll have to invest in bigger and better ships.

I asked Murray how you would go about "leveling up" to get better suits and weapons. "I could do it just by exploring," he said. "I could do it by taking guys out like this [Murray lifts his controller a bit to emphasize that he is flying in space and shooting other ships]. So if I go up to that fleet that was being attacked I could've joined in and attacked one of the freighters and get a little reward for that."

Note here is also an example of the type of emergent gameplay systems the title has. You can choose to help a fleet that is being attacked, and you'll be rewarded for that - which could lead to you getting a new ship that can travel greater distances, as well as fuel, resources, etc.

The answer to your c) is lengthy, but all of these details factor into how the side stuff plays a role. It's objectives to help you better reach the center of the universe, and as to how it's tied into the story they're intentionally being vague about it because they want players to discover it.

Note that ARE multiple alien races/factions and they do have a story and a role:

But do you have any friends in this world? Anyone who won't attack you and could even help you?

"We're not telling you, 'Oh this race is good, this race is bad,' or anything like that," Murray said. "You will find that, say, little things like the insignias on their ships, things like that, they're actually consistent. And you can read into that what you will and you will see consistencies in who seems to fight."

Link

Portugeezer

Fuck off. Exploring a vast universe and seeing new things sounds "fun" to me. Don't like it? Don't play it. You have heard it before. Some people don't think Dark Souls is fun, yet it's a fucking cult hit loved by many.

Maybe NMS is just similarly destined to not have mass appeal, I personally don't care whether it sells 1 million or 10 million, I just know that I like what I see and what we know so far. The vagueness adds to the my curiosity, it's intriguing in the same way we really don't know what is truly out there in our galaxy.

And how long will that last until it gets dull? According to Sean Murray there are millions upon millions of planets to explore. At some point, like any other game, it's just going to get boring. And for me, I think that will come faster because so far I haven't seen anything else to do besides exploring.

What about community events where players get together to gather resources that are difficult to attain.

Setting up "communities" that people make their base.

There's a lot of things that can be done, they have just been saying the same thing over and over since the reveal. We get it, is big, very big. But what else?

PS: apologies if it seems I'm shitting on the game. Is not my intention, I'm just really skeptical that hello games have a vision that is too ambitious for them to deliver on.

There's not going to be any "communities" as there is no voice chat. And it would be almost impossible to "meet up" somewhere. I believe they don't want people to gang up on other players.. They don't want you to come out of warp drive and have 20 people waiting to steal your loot

I have to admit that I'm starting to get disappointed with No Man's Sky. When I first heard the big concept for the game I was hooked because I assumed that they'd do a lot more with it. Now, interview after interview it is the same thing: "Unbelievably huge galaxy that you can do whatever your want and we don't care because there is no point to the game."

The Game Informer article instead of allaying my fears about the game, is confirming them. While its good that they are now trying to add combat as a first class citizen, it is becoming abundantly clear that this was an afterthought.
  • The are ancient robots left behind by who knows what. They are a constant, they will be different types but they will act the same way, you can use tactics you learn to defeat them. They describe it like Halo and its main types of enemies. "we discovered we needed something like that in the game. We're still experimenting with this quite a bit."

The part I highlighted suggests that they must have done some testing on the game and found out that just creating pretty worlds is not enough. There has to be a challenge, opposition, and goals too. Hopefully they'll be able to add these elements, but it is troubling that they weren't core components from day one.

I'm sold on the procedurally generated content. Now Hello Games needs to sell me on the combat systems and AI. I want to see a video showing why dog fighting in No Man's Sky is fun and something I'd want to do. I want to see if the AI on the planets can navigate the generated terrain, or simply stand still trading shots with you. Because this wasn't a main part of No Man's Sky I fear that these elements will just be tacked on.

MouldyK

You know what this game needs to stop all this asking? More transparency and information all in one place.

Like Dev Walkthroughs weekly or monthly with the devs showing you something and talking you through it.

Don't gimme that bull about them "Not wanting to spoil the game". Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen all would have the same things asked if they left people in the dark like NMS does. But going on their website, i'll be able to know what to do or where to go for more information.

Going on NMS's site, the game still just seems to talk about a game which is early, not a game we have known about for more than a year.

I mean look at X: Rebirth in 2013. Egosoft barely told the community much on the game, so we were left in the dark for quite a bit and then our worries turned out to be true and the game was out in a state that would make Ubisoft games this year look polished.

They've got a huge game on their hands, but they are just not putting the information all in one place or telling us enough.

Buggy Loop

Wow.... So your argument, if i understand correctly, is that if a game use this tech, it will suck...
Lol. When was the last time a large scale procedural game was released? Probably frontier Elite II, 20 so years ago ? Did you know that its still refered to in programming classes for procedural generation and still few peoples understand its concept? The industry learned a way of doing things and they kept doing the same thing because procedural generation back in the days were not up to par for close details. So the industry built themselves around a polygonal frame textured by many many artists, and it just kept getting bigger every year because they simply dont WANT to look at an alternative, since their recipe works. The tech we have nowadays can push things way beyond any procedural game exemples you could come up with, its all in the algorithms. Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVutbSqBI0

You can add whatever depth you want in procedural generation, you could end up with a infinite cities like LA in GTA V if the algorithm is developed enough.

This will either be amazing or Spore levels of disappointment.

I am just iffy about the type of content the galaxy is going to provide. I don't want just random spaceship battles and resource gathering the whole time.

Personally, I want to be able to set up my own space station or civilization on a planet. That's a bit too ambitious, but I'd think that would add a lot of replay value for me.

Just give me an organic story that grows with my choice of exploration or whatever actions i choose to do, make it dynamic and engrossing, it's going to have to be one of those type of games where your journey to the center of the universe is only a slither of your encounters and your journey

it's what makes star trek interesting...exploring new worlds, civilizations...choosing to help or not how does that shape things....might be to massive of a scale but it's much more intriguing that way

I am not going to get to hyped about the game though it's something that can easily blind people with unneccesary levels of hype

it's the perfect wait and see game

Top Bottom