• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

Forkball

I imagine it's a lot like Starbound.

Go to planets in Sector 1
Find material for fuel to jump to Sector 2
Jump to Sector 2
Now find NEW material for fuel to jump to Sector 3
Jump to Sector 3
Rinse and repeat

Starbound had a lot of challenging enemies and other random junk to find though. I'm not sure what No Man's Sky will focus on.

Fuck Crash. Fuck Jak and Daxter. Fuck those attitude games. Naughty Dog was wise to move away from that completely and leave it to others to continue on the natural path of awfulness. If Naughty Dog continued down that path, they'd become as irrelevant as the Sonic Team. With Uncharted and further, they've finally elevated the videogame medium to be something respected. The general public looks at Uncharted/TLOU and they get it. Real human characters and emotions. Plotlines and character arcs that they can get invested in. Some people just watch others play the game because it's just such a satisfying experience when you don't have to contend with the game-y parts, fiddling with some dainty controller that ruins the immersion. Even Hollywood has come a knocking. Uncharted is one of the most influential franchises ever. Did Crash or Jak and Daxter influence any other developers? Fuck no.

Good riddance.

4yi.gif

Fuck Crash. Fuck Jak and Daxter. Fuck those attitude games. Naughty Dog was wise to move away from that completely and leave it to others to continue on the natural path of awfulness. If Naughty Dog continued down that path, they'd become as irrelevant as the Sonic Team. With Uncharted and further, they've finally elevated the videogame medium to be something respected. The general public looks at Uncharted/TLOU and they get it. Real human characters and emotions. Plotlines and character arcs that they can get invested in. Some people just watch others play the game because it's just such a satisfying experience when you don't have to contend with the game-y parts, fiddling with some dainty controller that ruins the immersion. Even Hollywood has come a knocking. Uncharted is one of the most influential franchises ever. Did Crash or Jak and Daxter influence any other developers? Fuck no.

Good riddance.
Well..damn lol so many emotions.

You just went full 2pac hit em up style

Azure J

Good riddance.

Today has produced some real gems post wise. :lol

Derp

It's amazing how many times this has been answered yet everyone refuses to read. Yes, nothing has been shown, but if you were to go off what we have been told and what we've read, then we already extensively know what the game is about. If you want to go off what has been shown then the game is about flying out of planets and landing on new ones for no reason whatsoever. So yup, you do nothing in the game. Game is stupid. Don't buy it please.

am I the only one
And why do people ask this? Is it for the attention or something? Just ignore the countless number of posts in other threads asking the exact same question, and then yes, you are definitely the only one. Without a doubt. You're the chosen one. Don't fail us almighty chosen one.

system11

This seems like such an odd thing being asked here on GAF. Like if you want to know why not bother reading some articles online? It's been explained many times what's the goal of the game is. Do some of you really need everything spelled out for you in a trailer?

The frustrating thing is how many times it has to be explained. Sometimes repeatedly in the same thread. Can you imagine if this mindset had existed when Elite was released?

HighOnPCP

I don't have to kill or collect stuff but if flying to all those locations and looking at them for a while is the whole "purpose" of this game then well, shit. I can just search for some beautiful pictures of locations on earth on google or something, still plenty to see lol

Tobor

Cool, now we have a thread specifically for the people who refuse to look at any of the info we have about this game. Now you guys can be obtuse in here and leave those of us with some common sense in the other threads to talk in peace.

People seem to get really defensive or annoyed when you ask this, which is odd. But the lack of... showing what you can do in the game... in trailers for the game, justifiably raises questions. Then you get people flying off the handle, "oh you want exp and gunzz, fetch quests and killin shit thats what you want cuz you can't appreciate anything else huh?!" No I want to know what the game is about, is there a story, what do you do in the game. I don't find any of that outlandish. Answering those questions is so tiresome for some people that are following the game more closely for whatever reason, and I don't get why they're trying to push people away from the game. You'd think people would be chomping at the bit to get people hyped about it but most responses are condescending, angry, annoyed, etc. It's bizarre.

Thankfully some people are willing to answer questions.

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers. That is where interest for some people starts and ends. That is a completely valid criticism.

This question keeps getting asked because people see a new trailer, the game looks great, you see the transition between, planet-space-planet and it looks goddamn amazing, but nothing else is really shown... so they ask. On this here forum about games where you talk about games. They are interested in the moment but that may not carry over to tomorrow or the next day so doing a search for past threads or using search engines isn't something that enters their mind because... we're on a forum for discussing games, asking what you do in this game when a trailer just got released and didn't show that isn't some absurd concept.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The Dark Souls and Don't Starve examples as a means of answering the question "What do you do. . ." are fucking ludicrous. Both have pretty clear goals (ones goal is in the damn name for goodness sake).

As for "What do you do. . ." for NMS, while the game designer did come out (I believe during E3) and mention what the end goal was you still haven't seen much of that through the gameplay videos. It's just been fly from one planet to the next in 10 seconds. Long story short, I'm not surprised people consistently ask "What do you do. . ." here as it's not been consistently hammered into the interested public.

Also laughing at people thumbing their nose at people asking this question as if it's equivalent to demanding a waypoint. Please. Get over yourselves.

Zomba13

The Dark Souls and Don't Starve examples as a means of answering the question "What do you do. . ." are fucking ludicrous. Both have pretty clear goals (ones goal is in the damn name for goodness sake).

As for "What do you do. . ." for NMS, while the game designer did come out (I believe during E3) and mention what the end goal was you still haven't seen much of that through the gameplay videos. It's just been fly from one planet to the next in 10 seconds. Long story short, I'm not surprised people consistently ask "What do you do. . ." here as it's not been consistently hammered into the interested public.

Also laughing at people thumbing their nose at people asking this question as if it's equivalent to demanding a waypoint. Please. Get over yourselves.

It's more that in every thread you have people asking "what do you do?" "where is the game?" and we have answers to that and even when posted people then go "yeah well they haven't shown it so that doesn't matter". Think about it this way, you are making a game with a unique selling point. You market that USP instead of showing the same stuff you can do in other games. You probably bring that stuff up closer to release but to build hype you show off the stuff not done before rather than showing a trailer in a cave of a guy shooting robots and harvesting rocks and then buying a bigger gun.

You exist in the Galaxy and your 'aim' is to make it to the centre of the Galaxy. Or not. You find planets and animals and plant life, you upgrade your ship and space suit, you can fight or not fight. Its a Sci Fi Exploration Space Opera without any overriding linear story (as far as I am aware) and it just about looks like a game made specifically for me. No leaderboards, no kill/death ratios, no time limits, no quests. You exist in the Universe and that is quite enough for me. I cannot wait.

Tagyhag

Even if the game was just exploring it'd be fine, (Although I still feel that the planets will feel recycled and while you won't exactly see the same planet as someone else, you'll be noticing similarities everywhere kind of like Minecraft. So 1 or 2 playthroughs will be enough) but a bit more exposition would be good.

I mean, they talk about ground and space combat, but is the game even going to be deep or is it going to be extremely basic?

Guess we just have to wait, I just hope that the insane hype people have for this game doesn't come to bite it in the butt, because GAF and hyping....Yeah.

Aselith

It's a shame that people now have to be given an objective rather being allowed to do what they want.

They still have to build the things that you *can* do. The designers still have to build out stuff for you to do regardless of whether there's one thing or a myriad of things.

Zabant

Hahaha, and the sad thing is. some folks will look at this and think 'i'd actually prefer if it was like this'

Let's just say, some folks are going to blindly buy this fuelled on their own baseless hype and be massively disappointed. This is Starbound crossed with Day Z and a little bit of journey thrown in.

This isn't one man Mass Effect.

I for one am looking forward to it. (both the game and the bitching)

Bluenova

Neo Member
anyone see the twitch stream of gameplay for whole length? what did you think, i missed it.

night under no mans sky thingy

People seem to get really defensive or annoyed when you ask this, which is odd. But the lack of... showing what you can do in the game... in trailers for the game, justifiably raises questions. Then you get people flying off the handle, "oh you want exp and gunzz, fetch quests and killin shit thats what you want cuz you can't appreciate anything else huh?!" No I want to know what the game is about, is there a story, what do you do in the game. I don't find any of that outlandish. Answering those questions is so tiresome for some people that are following the game more closely for whatever reason, and I don't get why they're trying to push people away from the game. You'd think people would be chomping at the bit to get people hyped about it but most responses are condescending, angry, annoyed, etc. It's bizarre.

Thankfully some people are willing to answer questions.

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers. That is where interest for some people starts and ends. That is a completely valid criticism.

This question keeps getting asked because people see a new trailer, the game looks great, you see the transition between, planet-space-planet and it looks goddamn amazing, but nothing else is really shown... so they ask. On this here forum about games where you talk about games. They are interested in the moment but that may not carry over to tomorrow or the next day so doing a search for past threads or using search engines isn't something that enters their mind because... we're on a forum for discussing games, asking what you do in this game when a trailer just got released and didn't show that isn't some absurd concept.

So much this.

Aselith

Good riddance.

Hollywood came a knocking for Doom and Street Fighter too.

Lucent

It's a shame that people now have to be given an objective rather being allowed to do what they want.

That can get boring though. Imagine if there were no missions or anything at all in GTA except to drive around and kill stuff endlessly. I'd get bored pretty fast. But the objective can suck, too. Like how every objective in Destiny is shoot things while robot hacks stuff. =/

It can go both ways really. I'm all for a huge, procedurally-generated galaxy to explore, but I'm just kind of worried about how great it'll actually be to explore. Just how good is the procedurally generated stuff? It just feels like a game this big can't have that much interesting stuff in it if it's being made by just 10 people.

But who knows, I guess.

Good riddance.

Can't agree with this at all. I don't care if the general public doesn't get a game. The general public can shove it. They're not hardcore gamers (duh). I loved Crash and Jak and Daxter. I really wish Naughty Dog or someone talented enough to handle those games would bring them back. And you think Nathan Drake doesn't have an attitude?

Chev

Some of you people wouldn't have survived the 80s and 90s when there weren't a hundred gameplay walkthroughs and let's plays to watch before playing a game.
If they'd been in the 80s or 90s they'd immediately recognize it as an Elite-like, even.

I don't get why people now seem to have such gigantic problems visualizing an open universe space exploration game. Has the industry managed to kill their imagination so thoroughly? "is it a shooter? They don't shoot at every moment during the trailer. I guess that must mean you at least can't shoot in atmospheres. I heard that bearded guy talking about creating planets, is it a god game? There are creatures with legs in a galaxy, is it spore?".

That can get boring though. Imagine if there were no missions or anything at all in GTA except to drive around and kill stuff endlessly. I'd get bored pretty fast.

Just have a look at roosterteeth's things to do in GTA on youtube. Racing up mountains, trying to do motorcycle jumps from satellite dish to satellite dish, bowling using cars and explosives, sending cars into the stratosphere, infiltrating military bases, tons of activities that have nothing to do with mission objectives yet tons more fun and inventive. Many people don't get what a sandbox really is for. It's not for sitting around and waiting for orders, it's for experimenting and building sandcastles. But you have to put some of yourself in it.

Wow, really disappointed to see that only 10% of planets have life, that seems like a huge mistake to me. The creatures in the trailer were pretty cool, I was hoping discovering new animals would be a big part of the game.

I've been under the assumption for awhile that the game is basically Proteus with awesome graphics and a space ship, which sounds awesome to me.

Many people don't get what a sandbox really is for. It's not for sitting around and waiting for orders, it's for experimenting and building sandcastles. But you have to put some of yourself in it.
Right, provided that the tools are there to support that. We won't really know the depth of the systems available to us in NMS until the game comes out, though.

Chev

Right, provided that the tools are there to support that. We won't really know the depth of the systems available to us in NMS until the game comes out, though.

For the GTA stuff I mentioned above the only systems you need is be free to move around and shoot stuff in a game that supports basic newtonian physics.

red731

I can tell you one thing that matters to me -

from what I saw, this is absolutely expanded idea from the game - Proteus.
I spend many hours in that game just walking, exploring, playing with stones, playing with time/season, etc... and it was awesome.

NMS looks like it will up this a hundred notches and that, for me, is the reason I just want to lay in my bed and explore the galaxy. I just wish I can explore the galaxy in Morpheus. That would be so cool and I don't want to get my hopes up, but I believe this is a perfect game for it.

If you really have to ask that, No Man's Sky is not a game for you.

then that would be me out. As someone who works full time "big" games like this are not a positive for me...less free time means i really want to get through a game and quickly, rather than having a huge open world to explore or heaps of fetch quests (DA:I / Assassins Creed)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
A whole thread dedicated to skepticism and concern about NMS? Really?

I honestly can't tell if people are joking/trolling anymore.

Top Bottom