• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

Codes 208

My gut is still going with 2019 for sony and 2020 for MS.
So say AMD GPUs come out in 2020 with this "new" macro-architecture and the new Microsoft or Sony nextgen consoles come out in 2020 why wouldn't they also have the same updated "new" macro-architecture? Considering that the nextgen consoles come out with mid range GPUs, not high end of course.
Because if they release both in the same year, that gives a very small design gap for either system. On top of that, itll be too expensive.
People expected a more modern cpu for the X but we still got jaguar for example. Or how nintendo and nvidia opted for tegra1 for the switch despite tegra 2 being new at the time.

llien

What's the deal with bashing Jaguar?
It is a remarkable piece of engineering, given manufacturing restrictions.

It is roughly 1.7 times behind modern CPUs at instructions per clock, but you have 8 cores!
What it effectively did was force developers to embrace multi-threading (I recall Blizzard explicitly stating they have optimized for 6)

svbarnard

Banned
What's the deal with bashing Jaguar?
It is a remarkable piece of engineering, given manufacturing restrictions.

It is roughly 1.7 times behind modern CPUs at instructions per clock, but you have 8 cores!
What it effectively did was force developers to embrace multi-threading (I recall Blizzard explicitly stating they have optimized for 6)

You sound like an expert to me, so heres what I think, correct me if Im wrong but I beleive a lot of people here are underestimating greatly how powerful nextgen consoles will be, I know for a fact the GPU will be twice as powerful as the Xbox One X GPU it has to be, but twice as powerful and then some, so I honestly think we are going to see at least a 14 Teraflop GPU in nextgen consoles.

Recall how back in 2012 people were trying to guestimate how much RAM the nextgen consoles would have? They were saying things like no way nextgen consoles will have more than 4 gigs of RAM no way! How wrong they were. I think 2020 for the next xbox and 15-18 teraflops GPU. Sony will most likely drop in 2019 seeing as how the PS4PRO came out in 2016.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Will Bitcoin have a effect when they come out ? I'm no expert but with high ram prices etc if a new Ps4 in 2019 it may not be as powerful as we think. Just a thought.

Lort

Banned
You sound like an expert to me, so heres what I think, correct me if Im wrong but I beleive a lot of people here are underestimating greatly how powerful nextgen consoles will be, I know for a fact the GPU will be twice as powerful as the Xbox One X GPU it has to be, but twice as powerful and then some, so I honestly think we are going to see at least a 14 Teraflop GPU in nextgen consoles.

Recall how back in 2012 people were trying to guestimate how much RAM the nextgen consoles would have? They were saying things like no way nextgen consoles will have more than 4 gigs of RAM no way! How wrong they were. I think 2020 for the next xbox and 15-18 teraflops GPU. Sony will most likely drop in 2019 seeing as how the PS4PRO came out in 2016.

They also said the cpu and gpu would be way more powerful than they actually were, and the PS4 was only going to have 4 gigs of ram until it changed at the last minute.

Price and physics defines the capabilities of the next gen console .. not public perception.

Last edited:

llien

I know for a fact the GPU will be twice as powerful as the Xbox One X GPU it has to be, but twice as powerful and then some, so I honestly think we are going to see at least a 14 Teraflop GPU in nextgen consoles

I'm no expert in the field, merely following the tech news, sometimes diving into detailed articles and here is my humble opinion: 14 Tflops AMD GPU today is liquid cooled Vega 64, besides being expensive, it consumes up to 350 Watts on its own (but it must be noted that it runs at frequencies well beyond it's optimal perf/watt and even beyond diminishing returns point) typical power consumption is less, but still nearly double of what entire consoles consume.

What we get in the next level console depends on when that transition will happen, the later into mature 7nm and what AMD will have to offer. So far they only promised Vega transition from 14nm to 7nm. According to Global Foundries product brief 7nm means either 60% power reduction or 40% performance boost. It isn't clear at this point when Navi is coming.

I'd tip at 8-10Tflops for XMas 2019 PS5 (unlikely) and 10-12+ TF on 2020 PS5.

DonF

My bet is summer 2020. I feel like this gen hasn't peeked yet in terms of games, not graphics.
Spec wise, I believe it will be awesome. I mean, take a look at what a new $99 ryzen processor can do.

edit: my summer is the american winter.

Last edited:
I can see em be announced and released in 2020.

Would have said 2019 if the updated consoles had not come out released, they way the PS4 is selling (Xbox too, its no 360 but its far from a failure) they could even push it to 2021 reveal and release.

I think you are looking at 8+ teraflops and cpu that can get current 2017/8 titles to ~60fps at higher settings/resolutions of course devs will push the hardware to its limits so you should never expect the next AAA visually amazing title to be 4K/60.

Allandor

My bet is summer 2020. I feel like this gen hasn't peeked yet in terms of games, not graphics.
Spec wise, I believe it will be awesome. I mean, take a look at what a new $99 ryzen processor can do.

edit: my summer is the american winter.

don't forget, it is just the processor well APU. The chip alone cannot cost much more in a console if you want a 299 price tag. With a 399 or 499 price it can be better.
But what do you expect from the CPU. Yes jaguar is not the best cpu, but I didn't see any "console-compatible" game on PC that really uses the cpu in an efficient way. Most of the time the CPU is just seen as a bottleneck for the GPU. This should change a bit with Vulcan/dx12 but engines have to first really get there. If you want 60fps on the current level of games, yes than cpu would be a problem. But if the next get has a better cpu, games will just do a bit more AI calculations or something like that an we get 30fps again (depending on the game).

NahaNago

I was hoping 2019 for release but nowadays I'm thinking that 2020 will most likely be when ps5 will release. I'm still not sure if it will release in the spring or the fall. Spring worked well for Nintendo and they had decent amount of games to buy by winter so Sony could copy that move. Microsoft could release another console in 2020 easily considering that they have already released a xb1,xb1s, and xb1x within 4 years.. That would at least give them 2 years to wait for technology to get cheaper/mature and give folks time to enjoy the xb1x for a little bit longer. Granted waiting until Sony releases their product and counterattacking works best for them, so that they can release a more premium product.

DonJimbo

E3 2019 reveal with holiday 2019 release at a price of 399 bucks with of the shelve hardware like this generation

Leocarian

Banned

Not sure about 15 to 18 T flops.

I work in the industry and been hearing of the PS5 having around 11 or so T flops. So think between 10 to 13 range.

Have not heard anything on regards to Xbox next thing. But if Microsoft plans to still hold the throne in the power seat then it will be maybe around 13 to 15. But to be honest I highly doubt it If there will be such a difference. The difference will likely mostly be 1 or 2 tlfops between the tlfops. I can see the Xbox sitting at 13 with PS4 at 11 as their final base version of consoles. If they gonna do another PS5 Pro or Xbox Steroids 2.0 then obviously we will see more increase after 3 or so years of release.

Then again sometimes this industry is unpredictable. We will see.

Last edited:
Unless one of them jumps the gun, expect 2020 to be the earliest. Yields for 7nm fabrication aren't going to be ready until then. Also, ram prices need to come down.

Who can say what the specs would be, but i'd like more of an emphasis on cpu power, less on gpu. And we need SSDs as standard. 8 core ryzen at 3+ghz, 24-32gbs of ram, ssd, 8-10tf gpu would be a nice balance.

Last edited:
Not sure about 15 to 18 T flops.

I work in the industry and been hearing of the PS5 having around 11 or so T flops. So think between 10 to 13 range.

Have not heard anything on regards to Xbox next thing. But if Microsoft plans to still hold the throne in the power seat then it will be maybe around 13 to 15. But to be honest I highly doubt it If there will be such a difference. The difference will likely mostly be 1 or 2 tlfops between the tlfops. I can see the Xbox sitting at 13 with PS4 at 11 as their final base version of consoles. If they gonna do another PS5 Pro or Xbox Steroids 2.0 then obviously we will see more increase after 3 or so years of release.

Then again sometimes this industry is unpredictable. We will see.
I doubt >15TF is even feasible @ <399$ even in 2020.

Ar¢tos

I think there will be much disappointment when next gen specs are announced, if people are expecting a 399$ 100W console to have a 15tf gpu + 20gb or more HBM2/3 RAM in 2020.

THE:MILKMAN

I think there will be much disappointment when next gen specs are announced, if people are expecting a 399$ 100W console to have a 15tf gpu + 20gb or more HBM2/3 RAM in 2020.

More likely it will be 150-200W but yeah. 10-12TF and 16-24GB GDDR6 is more realistic I think. And if they can get it out for 2019 they will!

Leonidas

I beleive a lot of people here are underestimating greatly how powerful nextgen consoles will be, I know for a fact the GPU will be twice as powerful as the Xbox One X GPU it has to be, but twice as powerful and then some, so I honestly think we are going to see at least a 14 Teraflop GPU in nextgen consoles.

Even if they reach 14 Tflops, that's still only 2.3x what is in Xbox One X(~half the difference between Xbox One and Scorpio).

Xbox One X GPU has over 3x the power of the original PS4 and over 4x the original Xbox One. Next gen graphically will be less impressive than the jump we've seen with Scorpio. We'll need 20-26 Tflops before we see another Scoprio-like increase in graphics.

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
Even if they reach 14 Tflops, that's still only 2.3x what is in Xbox One X(~half the difference between Xbox One and Scorpio).

Xbox One X GPU has over 3x the power of the original PS4 and over 4x the original Xbox One. Next gen graphically will be less impressive than the jump we've seen with Scorpio. We'll need 20-26 Tflops before we see another Scoprio-like increase in graphics.

If developers are allowed/encouraged/have a business reason to make exclusive titles for the next generation of consoles you will see developers less constrained by old devices and thus better able to use the extra power available in ways that do not easily scale. It may be more than just invest in higher and higher resolutions and higher resolution textures for UHD displays you do not notice as much on a HD one :).

Unless they are stuck in an interative/cross-generation world...

Leonidas

If developers are allowed/encouraged/have a business reason to make exclusive titles for the next generation of consoles you will see developers less constrained by old devices and thus better able to use the extra power available in ways that do not easily scale. It may be more than just invest in higher and higher resolutions and higher resolution textures for UHD displays you do not notice as much on a HD one :).

Unless they are stuck in an interative/cross-generation world...

Maybe if PC didn't exist. Virtually all 3rd party games are on PC now so games will remain scalable next-gen.

Even still the power of Scorpio can be used however developers see fit. Xbox One X is rumored to be the lead platform of an upcoming exclusive...

Swizzle

Gold Member
Maybe if PC didn't exist. Virtually all 3rd party games are on PC now so games will remain scalable next-gen.

Even still the power of Scorpio can be used however developers see fit. Xbox One X is rumored to be the lead platform of an upcoming exclusive...

Lead does not mean that the Xbox One S is allowed to run like crap or not run at all.

Regarding PC’s, they will (in time... as there will be cross generation games in the beginning) reset their baseline to the new consoles’s specs while they mostly have the baseline set to Xbox One and PS4 now (not Xbox One X or PS4 Pro). Supporting from Xbox 360 like specs to Xbox Two specs in a single game would likely screw either end of the spectrum.

Console generations are actually good for PC gamers too as they push for PC game engines to scale as well as allow higher end PC specs to more easily push for very high resolution and IQ, very high frame rates, and much higher resolution assets compared to the console baseline specs (use PC higher and always evolving specs to brute force problems into oblivion).

Last edited:
Given that the PS4 is selling great and that MS just released the X, I have a hard time seeing next-gen in 2019 already. I'd think 2020 is the safest bet.

THE:MILKMAN

Given that the PS4 is selling great and that MS just released the X, I have a hard time seeing next-gen in 2019 already. I'd think 2020 is the safest bet.

Why though? Look to the most recent past:

PS4 announced February 2013.

Sony alone went on to release GoW: Ascension, TLoU, Beyond: Two Souls and GT6. Saying PS4 is selling great or too many big games are coming out doesn't rule out a new console coming.

MilkyJoe

The whole "PS5 in 2019" is just a knee jerk reaction to X1. I'd be amazed if this gen, with a mid gen hardware refresh on both sides, only lasts 6 years. Folk are still going to shell out for games no matter how long it lasts, as they did last gen. 2020 at the very earliest. 2021+ more likely.

The whole "PS5 in 2019" is just a knee jerk reaction to X1. I'd be amazed if this gen, with a mid gen hardware refresh on both sides, only lasts 6 years. Folk are still going to shell out for games no matter how long it lasts, as they did last gen. 2020 at the very earliest. 2021+ more likely.

100% agree and I'm fine with this.

bitbydeath

Will Bitcoin have a effect when they come out ? I'm no expert but with high ram prices etc if a new Ps4 in 2019 it may not be as powerful as we think. Just a thought.

I think that's more of a consumer issue because we haven't (AFAIK) seen it impact the current consoles.

Unless they have plug and play keyboard/mouse support in all games, specs are secondary from my perspective. Just let them run any title at 60fps by default.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Late 2020.
7nm CPU and GPU.
8 core Ryzen 2 or 3 @ 3-3.4Ghz.
Custom Navi GPU with 10-13Tflop compute.
1TB Hybrid SSD/HDD, Sony customized.

Memory is going to be the wild card; GDDR6 at this stage appears more likely than HBM, but by 2020 that could change.
There's also the possibility of either one plus some DDR4/5, used for OS so all the fast RAM is used on gaming.

My current guess for RAM is 20GB GDDR6(320 bit bus @648GB/s) + 4GB LPDDR5.
But my confidence in that memory configuration is not high.

LordOfChaos

I think that's more of a consumer issue because we haven't (AFAIK) seen it impact the current consoles.

I think batch prices projected forward are set when a console launches, so it didn't impact the 8th gen, but it could come into negotiations for the 9th.

I am expecting no longer needing a computer, 4D and 120fps minimum. I want my Giant Enemy craps in 8k with 4k textures on the models and diagonal dynamic volumetric lighting systems sponsored by strobelite.

No but seriously, next gen we might actually have 60fps as a standard. Visual effects like lighting shadows, and fire/water/etc will also take less memory allowing more realistic worlds. I need my grass swaying in the breeze and 400 creases in the leaves.

The real question will be for Microsoft, will they target VR with the Scarlett console. They can't afford to let Sony have a 2nd generation of VR without answer since I believe PSVR 2 will be good.

The real question will be for Microsoft, will they target VR with the Scarlett console. They can't afford to let Sony have a 2nd generation of VR without answer since I believe PSVR 2 will be good.

Yes they can. 2nd gen VR still won't be a mass mainstream device looking at the upcoming specs.

Top Bottom