• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

Belker

Presumably Sony will want to Slim the Pro at some point. If that happens in two years - which is a year sooner than the new Slim - maybe we'll see something in 2022?

It might allow MS to release first, but they'd presumably be fighting an even bigger install base by then. My guess it depends on how Sony overall are doing; if they have the reserves and desire to let MS launch and then leapfrog them a year or so later with more powerful, cheaper, hardware, while perhaps investing in something like PSVR 2.

Also it sounds really weird to use the year 2022 as an actual time frame and not part of a sci-fi plot.

Edit
That's assuming they don't want a machine to go along with proslim. I wonder if they'd give up that install base by making the machines incompatible with each other - though based on what cerny said they might.

anothertech

Holliday 2019 ps5. They won't wait longer than that when the superior tech is available.

After reading about HBM recently, I think HBM 3 is possible for ps5 in that timeframe. Everyone will say it's too expensive or not feasible early on in 2019, but it will be a GDDR5 2013 situation imo.

Ryzen next iteration, hbm3, 20-30tf gpu. Won't seem all that impressive in 3 years tbh.

Would be much more exciting if they wait a year, and release the same time as Xbox tho, I will admit. Really brings some competition to the table when they go head to head.

After reading about HBM recently, I think HBM 3 is possible for ps5 in that timeframe. Everyone will say it's too expensive or not feasible early on in 2019, but it will be a GDDR5 2013 situation imo.

Not gonna happen. As it is HBM still only exists on 3 cards--the 3 cards in the R9 Fury lineup. Those came out over a year ago and we haven't seen a single card with it since then. HBM1 had a lot of flaws, but HBM2 will be more expensive and difficult to work with, which means we probably won't see a single card with HBM2 get a wide release until the end of this year, with it taking another 2-3 years for it to be present on all high-end cards. Then it will take equally as long for HBM3 to get rolled out.

HBM inherently costs more than DRAM because you have to deal with a third party doing the TSV connection required to get the memory on the chip (at least that's how it worked with HBM1 and I believe 2). It's more likely we'll see GDDR5X or it's successor have wide adaptation by 2019 than HBM3 or even HBM2.

bman94

I'd say 2020 would be a safe bet. With PS4 Pro just releasing in 2016, and Scorpio in 2017, it doesn't seem like anyone is rushing to get another console out anytime soon.

In terms of specs, I don't know shit about tech, but I feel that Microsoft and Sony sees the impact of backwards compatability and would offer it on launch for their perspective new consoles. Since things are much more unified in terms of game development this shouldn't be an issue.

I also think that VR will be a huge selling points for those future consoles. We're in the baby steps of VR now but by 2020 we should see the tech grow tremendously and Microsoft and Sony will definitely take advantage of that.

And just for shits and giggles, Switch 2, a hardware revision of the Switch with better graphical capabilities and more power, would launch either fall 2019 or early 2020.

Larogue

Technology is advancing faster than ever. If they wanna catch up with the growing PC gaming market, it would be 2019 for Sony, 2020 for Microsoft.

Renekton

I still think PS5 will hit for holiday 2019. I think PS4 will be on it's last legs in 2,5 years, heck we are already nearing 60 million sold. Sony wouldn't wait for another year for a possible power boost.
Where can they get the power boost from?

Cost-effective 7nm likely not ready by 2019.

tr00per

Amd's new exascale mega apu might be the base for the upcoming ps5/xbox 2 gen consoles . This tech will help to integrate backward compatible chips better as modules but also upgrade to more modules for pro versions .

This sounds delicious. It also sounds like engines will have to be rewritten to take advantage

kennyamr

Feb 2019 - PS5 announcement

E3 2019 - PS5 official reveal / main presentation

Holidays 2019 - PS5 North American + European + other Western territories release date

Sony will probably keep releasing new consoles every 6 years with revision models in between.

Averon

Where can they get the power boost from?

Cost-effective 7nm likely not ready by 2019.

I don't see the PS5 coming out until at least 2020 because of this. AMD and GF are skipping 10nm and heading directly to 7nm. The release date for the PS5 will be dictated on AMD and GF's schedule for mass manufacturing 7nm APUs.

MS can wait a bit longer if the Scorpio is as powerful as MS claims it to be.

I'm gonna try to be honest here. I expect both consoles to be underpowered again.I have a feeling my ancient 980 will be more powerful than them. I picture a future of eye candy and 30fps. Hopefully they say fuck it and say "from now on we will release all our games on pc as well". It's a win win in that case. I'll still complain though

Some things I want:

• A significant power jump. I'm hoping at least 12-14 terrys.
  • Resolution targets maintained at 1080p (more on this below)
  • 24 gigs of Ram.
  • Some time for the industry to coast on current gen. Its not ready for next gen and a lot of studios have only released one game so far. If they manage to release another one this gen, that takes them out of any respectable launch timeframe for the next game. If ND releases TLOU2 in 2019, they aren't releasing a PS5 game til when? 60% through? At least...
  • The perfect time would be 2021, simply to get devs working on current gen games now sufficient time to transition to the new gen. Consoles really need positive momentum for the health of the industry and top tier devs need to release games early.

What I think will happen:
  • Games target 4k. This will result in a minimal upgrade outside of resolution due to the harsh power requirements of 4k. If it has to be done, hopefully they continue the checkerboard rendering method. I would love 1080p with a "Pro" revision 2-3 years later giving 4k gamers what they want. Sadly I can't see 1080p being standard.
  • 2019 release. Scorpio will push Sony to release a console faster since they wouldn't want to be the weaker console for more than 2 years to maintain their image. MS will then have to respond but it would be a year later. They definitely don't want to concede a year advantage though, tricky spot to be in.

AmyS

Holliday 2019 ps5. They won't wait longer than that when the superior tech is available.

Ryzen next iteration, hbm3, 20-30tf gpu. Won't seem all that impressive in 3 years tbh.

Would be much more exciting if they wait a year, and release the same time as Xbox tho, I will admit. Really brings some competition to the table when they go head to head.

I don't think HBM3 is going to be available for consoles coming out in 2019. HBM3 is meant to be out *by* 2020, with 2019 being the most optimistic, and even that's like HBM2 was in 2016, which got pushed to 2017 for high-end gaming cards (Vega) and Nvidia might not have GTX cards with HBM2 until Volta in early 2018. But we'll see.

HBM3 released by 2020, offers more bandwidth, less power
HBM3 will offer up to 64GB of VRAM on graphics cards, should arrive by 2019-2020

HBM3 will offer improvements over HBM1 and HBM2 in nearly all areas, with HBM3 offering more RAM stacks. HBM3 will feature 8 or more stacks connected via through-silicon vias (TSVs), which is up from the 2/4/8 stacks on HBM2. The upgraded HBM3 tech will see individual memory dies of up to 16Gb, up from the 8Gb on HBM2, meaning 64GB of VRAM on next-gen graphics cards will become a reality. Lower core voltage and twice the peak bandwidth will be offered on HBM3, which is another great thing to see, but HBM3 won't be arriving until sometime in 2019-2020.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53583/hbm3-released-2020-offers-more-bandwidth-less-power/index.html

-PS5 in 2019 probably means HBM2 most likely
-PS5 in 2020 means either HBM2 or possibly HBM3
-Xbox Next in 2021 would allow enough time for HBM3

As for process tech: 2019-2020 means 7nm for sure (7nm is like 10nm in size i think). It's also looking more and more likely that EUV (Extreme ultraviolet lithography) isn't going to be ready in time for 7nm, it most likely starts with 5nm. Both of which I would not expect until 2021.

I'd really like the next gen to be the last one. Tired of upgrading.

Games don't need to look much better than they are, just make it more efficient, make the OS faster, load times quicker, don't throttle download speeds on PSN, don't sound like a hoover having a baby, that's all I want.

truth411

I don't see the PS5 coming out until at least 2020 because of this. AMD and GF are skipping 10nm and heading directly to 7nm. The release date for the PS5 will be dictated on AMD and GF's schedule for mass manufacturing 7nm APUs.

/Thread

AmyS

Agreed.

7nm is the main thing to watch.

anothertech

I don't think HBM3 is going to be available for consoles coming out in 2019. HBM3 is meant to be out *by* 2020, with 2019 being the most optimistic, and even that's like HBM2 was in 2016, which got pushed to 2017 for high-end gaming cards (Vega) and Nvidia might not have GTX cards with HBM2 until Volta in early 2018. But we'll see.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53583/hbm3-released-2020-offers-more-bandwidth-less-power/index.html

-PS5 in 2019 probably means HBM2 most likely
-PS5 in 2020 means either HBM2 or possibly HBM3
-Xbox Next in 2021 would allow enough time for HBM3

As for process tech: 2019-2020 means 7nm for sure (7nm is like 10nm in size i think). It's also looking more and more likely that EUV (Extreme ultraviolet lithography) isn't going to be ready in time for 7nm, it most likely starts with 5nm. Both of which I would not expect until 2021.
7nm and HBM3 is possible by Holliday 2019. Not the most likely, but neither was 8 gigs of GDDR5 in a 2013 console aimed at $399 launch.

If they stick with AMD for the APU, I can see it as quite possible and within budget tbh.

Man a lot of people will be pretty mad/disappointed when nothing happens in 2019.

Sry its just not going to happen.

This gen will take a little longer again. And i mean we got Upgrades for current systems which doesnt make it really bad at all.
It was annoying last gen when we stuck with Hardware from 2005 until 2013.

But with the current systems everything is scalable. I think a new gen of consoles wont pop up until 2021 or 2022.

Boney

Banned
Seems like they're both going to be moving for softer upgrades, with Scorpio positioned as a substantial upgrade that will be knee capping the XBO by 2019.

AmyS

Seems like they're both going to be moving for softer upgrades, with Scorpio positioned as a substantial upgrade that will be knee capping the XBO by 2019.

Mark Cerny implied that full generations are not gone, that PS4 Pro arrives during the middle of the PS4 generation.

JordanN

Banned
Man a lot of people will be pretty mad/disappointed when nothing happens in 2019.

Sry its just not going to happen.

This gen will take a little longer again. And i mean we got Upgrades for current systems which doesnt make it really bad at all.
It was annoying last gen when we stuck with Hardware from 2005 until 2013.

But with the current systems everything is scalable. I think a new gen of consoles wont pop up until 2021 or 2022.

I honestly think if these consoles were coming sooner, we would be hearing it from developers.

Remember at the end of the PS3/360 gen, studios like Crytek or EA Dice were crying every day "Man, I wish we could have 8GB ram. We just need more memory. If Sony/MS are listening, please just give us more ram"

But now, how often do we hear developers whine anymore? They've all pretty much gone silent.

Something more next genny. The exact specs never mattered too much. Just a substantial leap forward

The games ecosystem will matter more to me.

Mambo Maniac

Neo Member
Ps5 - releases no earlier than 2020
Completely backwards compatible with PS4
Backwards compatible with PSVR, unless they release a new 4K PSVR at or near launch, then it may not be.

24GB to 32GB of usable game memory at least, not including OS memory.
Focus will be 4k games with 4K VR, meaning space needed for very high res textures
PSVR will be a VR/AR Hyrbrid model, built in cameras, flip-able screen, possibly wireless. Could be two different headsets but Im betting one hybrid model.

They will focus on making it an option for non TV gaming, watching media, where they arent really pushing that right now. Room tracking and self tracking in headset They will focus heavily on AR even in TV games (playing a game on a TV while wearing the headset will have side views, animations, alerts, characters, etc). This is whats going to set the next gen apart. Games will now interact with you in your home environment.

AMD CPU/GPU/APU based on whatever AMD's latest or year before launch architecture is.
Will surpass current GPU's if released in 2020, will have a better beefed up CPU in the APU compared to now.

Much improved AR/VR controllers will be released, better cameras for not only tracking, but will have a Kinect like room scanner for AR, or small room devices you set.

Dualshock 5 - Not sure of what they will update for AR/VR, but will have more customization options this time, like an Xbox elite controller but maybe not as much. lights will be able to turn off if still used.

E-Cat

PS5
Launch date: Q4´20
CPU - Zen+ 8 cores, 16 threads
GPU - 14.2 TFLOPS (AMD) @ 7nm
VRAM - 32GB, 900 GB/s bandwidth
Storage - 2TB SSD (stock)

Sulik2

I wanted a return to a five year cycle badly but the pro and scropio mess that up. I'm guessing 2020 now. Probably something in the 20TF range. 5 to six times the pro sounds about right when you aren't willing to sell your console at a loss anymore.

E-Cat

I wanted a return to a five year cycle badly but the pro and scropio mess that up. I'm guessing 2020 now. Probably something in the 20TF range. 5 to six times the pro sounds about right when you aren't willing to sell your console at a loss anymore.
No way are you getting a 20TF console in 2020. That would take a 5nm process.

Before Pro/Scorpio I was thinking 2018 or 2019. Now I think 2019/2020 depending on og console sales and new more powerful technology availability.

They are tied to the release (and maturity) of 7nm tech, so probably the year after that arrives.

PS5 though I imagine needs to be at least double the TF performance of Scorpio which would make it 6X+ the OG PS4. That's pretty feable to me though and I think it's best to wait now until a console can get closer to 20TF. Next gen is going to be ~4K only and so lots of power is needed.

With the Pro - Scorpio staggered release I see Microsoft doing the same again. The decent hardware of the Scorpio will help give it an extra year of life and then MS can comfortably launch new hardware more powerful than the PS5 again.

2020/21 earliest.

Hairsplash

The next playstation console will be like their Flagship TV's, or High end TV's... which is to say that they are designed as a masterpiece, designed for the future but priced to make a good profit. (And thus the store can sell it a "discount")

Which means the PS5 will be sold like a (back-in-the-day) ES series CD player... makes money.

So i think it will have a ryzen 8/16 3g2 processor (which would be effectively twice as fast as the ps4pro processor (40+% IPC increase x 3.2G = approx "4.2 Ghz" which is 2x the Ps4pro 2.1Ghz speed)
16GB ram...
2 to 3 times the power of the RX480.
Which could make it 600 US. Remember the price does not matter because it is a flagship, and while it will run ps4(pro) games...

BUT, i think They could also the reduce the NEO chip (ps4pro) to TMSC's 7nm... and add three to the new console with a HBM2 buffer to " stitch " together the output of the three chips for 4k60 output. (1280 x 3 = 3840)

Or go Ryzen modified NEO chip (3g2), put two in and use then for a 4k PSVR headset (or a 2k x 2k circle of 3D)
(Or just allow being able to play a HD game in the headset... the psvr is not set up allow the full panel to be used as a gameing monitor... because of the optics for 3D.

I think the most plausible Console will be one that is designed to allow 2k x 2k VR (4k but the circle of VR effectively will be 2k squared)

The flagship console or profit making one, would allow it to have Super Specs and allow the ps4pro to co-exist. Or allow the Console to take two years to build a base without really harming the base ps4/ps4pro installed base.

BTW, IMO Microsoft really F''ked up be not having a 3.2Ghz processor in the XBOXONE. that speed would have compensated for its 12 Shader units instead of 18 in the PS4...
I hope the Scorpio has a 3.2 or 2.7 Ghz processor in it.

IN ANY CASE, i do not care about what is in the box ( yet it is very interesting, I like the technical details but, ) what is more important is 4k60 game play... supersampled to 1080p... or 1080p120 for VR.

Whoa! 20-30 tflops GPUS in a console by 2020 seems impossible to me.

AmyS

TSMC is surging forward with process nodes, and AMD has amended their agreement with Global Foundries so they can turn to any of the other chip foundries if needed.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331489&page_number=4

7nm+ using EUV seems doable for console APU in 2020.

EUV rolls into 7+nm node in 2018

TSMC's plans to use EUV on an enhanced version of its 7nm process was perhaps the biggest eye opener of the event.

The foundry achieved similar yields using immersion and EUV steppers on a 7nm test chip. In addition, it hit 125W with its ASML 3350 EUV system, providing confidence it can hit about 250W for high volume manufacturing with EUV in 2019 on a 7+nm process.

Samsung announced late last year it plans to use EUV in a 7nm process that could be in production by 2019. ”We believe we will be the first one" to use EUV in volume production, said TSMC's Woo with risk production starting by June 2018.
TSMC used an unnamed ”novel resist" chemical to replace five immersion masks with one EUV mask at pitches ranging from 26-30nm. Liu said the company currently expects EUV could compress as many as 16 immersion masks to four or five.

The enhanced 7nm process, in part, serves the needs of companies such as Apple that demand enhancements for each annual smartphone generation. The 7+ process promises 1.2x greater logic density and 10 percent more speed or 15 percent less power than TSMC's first-gen 7nm node

I think Sony should aim for no less than 18 TFlops - 10 times stronger than base PS4 and 3X stronger than Scorpio.

15TF+
16GB RAM
Half decent CPU
4K only (with downscale obviously for old TV's)

2020 for Sony and the year after for Xbox, if they do another one. No earlier.

Nintendo similar time. ~4TF max lol

Honestly, going by their track record, I would be surprised if they hit 1TF by that time.

Apathy

2019 at the earliest, 2020 at the latest.

Either of these times could make it so that we get something like TLOU2 as the last big game of the PS4 (like the first TLOU) and let a game like Horizon 2 be a launch game for the PS5

AmyS

2019 at the earliest, 2020 at the latest.

Either of these times could make it so that we get something like TLOU2 as the last big game of the PS4 (like the first TLOU) and let a game like Horizon 2 be a launch game for the PS5

I very much agree.

AmyS

Sorry for the DP.

Phil Spencer Comitted To Console Gaming, Already Planning What Comes After Project Scorpio

The next Xbox console is already being planned.

There have been questions surrounding the future of Microsoft in the console space – even though the company is committed to launching the Xbox Scorpio later this year, their push towards Xbox as a service over the last few years has been enough to give everyone a bit of a pause and contemplate if the future of Xbox may not be as a device agnostic service, rather than as hardware.

However, speaking to Gamasutra in an interview, Xbox boss Phil Spencer has admitted that planning for what comes after Scorpio for Xbox in the console space – in other words, the next Xbox console – is already underway at Microsoft. ”I'm a strong believer in console, and what that appliance means in my family room, under my TV," Spencer said.

”And I've said, and this is actually true, the planning for what happens after Scorpio in the console space is already underway. You have to think about it that way. Like, what is the next thing? We — I — remain committed to the console space. We think it's critically important."

Spencer explained the recent push towards services that Microsoft has been making, pointing out that Microsoft views it as a supplement for Xbox consoles, not a replacement altogether.

”So I definitely think about Xbox Live as something that's more pervasive than just sitting on the console. The console itself, I think, is a foothold for us, a strength for us, and something we definitely have longterm belief in."

This is perhaps the first clear indication that we have received of a proper Xbox One successor existing beyond the Scorpio- the question, of course, is just how much of a leap this mysterious new Xbox will be. Is it going to be another iterative update like the Scorpio, or will Microsoft jump ahead to a proper successor entirely?

http://gamingbolt.com/phil-spencer-...ady-planning-what-comes-after-project-scorpio

In 2020-2021, ZeNd me to High Bandwidth Memory Heaven.

Oh man. I know it's still early but I think Ryzen is a good (and realistic) candidate for nextgen consoles' CPUs. By then maybe we'll have 16C/32T at a reasonable price? Even if we get 8/16 it could be a good choice, much better than current gen's Jaguar.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
2020 would be my guess too. But, not too sure with these mid gen releases. If scorpio turned out to be a great success, will sony be forced to try to release it earlier? then if thats a success, will it be same for MS?.....and so on......

Coda

The year 2020 has that unique marketing value where it's just cool to say something like "The PlayStation 5, the future has arrived in 2020" or something to that effect.

Shin

Banned
I know it's still early but I think Ryzen is a good (and realistic) candidate for nextgen consoles' CPUs.

Zen will be in AMD's next APU, including semi-custom SoC's (as per their last conference call), it's all Zen till 2019 (Zen 3).
Speed > amount of cores, personally I'm hoping it's a 6/12 or 8/14 at 3.5Ghz minimum for the PS5.
Also TSMC is starting 7nm risk production next month, 7nm is due 2h 2018 from GloFo & TSMC.

The two foundries are on track, Sony/AMD used them for the PS4, unless they hit a big hurdle 7nm will be in mass production by 2019.

TLZ

Banned
I'd say 2019-2020 PS4 and 2021 Xbox.

Edit: and I just saw the post above mine. Damn dude. Lol.

Top Bottom