• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solid Eye! The MGS4 Photo Thread

Remy

***WARNING:**** THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS. If you haven't played through the game and you're the sort of person who wants to be surprised by every last thing, this isn't the thread for you. Enjoy the stunning photography at your own risk!

Since Konami had the forethought to allow you to export your camera photos from within MGS4 to the XMB, it's easy to share them with the rest of the world. Hence, the inevitable GAF photo thread.

The camera can be found
by driving the Mk.II around during the Act 2 Mission Briefing. Remember that you can always go back to earlier mission briefings via the main menu, so if you don't grab it the first time around, you can snag it at any point after you've started Act 2.

The camera operates in two modes: 1P (first person shots - this takes over for your weapon; press R1 to take a picture), or 2P (the second controller can be used to take third-person pictures by pressing R1). Switch between these two modes by pressing Circle while in the Item menu.

To get your photos out of the game:

1. Main Menu > Photo Album
2. Select the photo you wish to export.
3. Play with the editing controls if you feel the need, then pick "Export"
4. Select "Normal Upload" for a full size picture.
5. Confirm that you want to export the photo.
6. You'll receive a confirmation that it's been exported. The file can be found in the Photos section of the XMB. Copy it off to a memory card or flash stick and do what you will!

If you could, please label your posted photos with the Act, location, and any other info that might be useful for people wondering how you did that.

I'll get us started with some of my pictures from Act 2:

Still Life:
2578443084_3f3f3fa3da_o.jpg

Laughing Octopus:
2577611341_38124c986f_o.jpg

Sleeping FROGS:
2578443462_36986c232e_o.jpg

Handprint Plate Easter Egg:
2577610975_90959fd4b1_o.jpg

Mash

Anyone mind showing me Act 4 and why it is so awesome? I can't play the game yet and I don't care about spoilers.

Datrio

Remy said:
Where's that from?

I'm replaying Act 4 and 5 again with the camera, so I might get some interesting photos. I got (Act 4)
some ghosts in Otacon's lab and Crying Wolf as a Beauty
, will upload them after saving now.

Doc Evils

Datrio said:
Where's that from?

I'm replaying Act 4 and 5 again with the camera, so I might get some interesting photos. I got (Act 4)
some ghosts in Otacon's lab and Crying Wolf as a Beauty
, will upload them after saving now.

south america when you have to trackdown Naomi's footprints.

traveler

Not Wario
I know the OP warns about spoilers, but if it's not too much to ask, could everyone please post the Act their photos are from before posting them? Thanks in advance.

Awesome, I was wondering when this thread would happen.. hopefully this will reach the heights of the Halo and PGR photo threads.

tak

This'll be a good thread, hopefully stuff doesn't get hidden behind spoiler links, embed images are a lot more nicer.

Datrio

Act 4

Turns out
the ghosts get exorcised, so sorry :(

The Policenauts poster (Hideo Kojima was here)
qxwgtl.jpg

Some other ghost was here, looking a bit like
Baker, the Arms-Tech president
2a0nyhv.jpg

And the beautiful Mieko Rye (too bad the storm is going on)
2wlwqix.jpg

Use a second controller for pictures? Looks like my old Sixaxis isn't so useless after all...I didn't get the camera in my first playthrough so I got to do the briefings and start a new game and get back the Mk. II.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Not looking now because I haven't finished the game yet, but I hope this thread blows up. Awesome idea.

Hiltz

If I had a PS3, MGS4 would be the reason for me to get one. It seems like a lot of fun.

I have one thing to ask though.

Does the game offer any more colors beyond the muddy looking brown and gray graphics ?
That's all I have seen so far and it's pretty disappointing.

traveler

Not Wario
Y2Kev said:
oh jesus christ deepblue

Given how great it looks in these screenshots, isn't that a compliment?

Hiltz said:
If I had a PS3, MGS4 would be the reason for me to get one. It seems like a lot of fun.

I have one thing to ask though.

Does the game offer any more colors beyond the muddy looking brown and gray graphics ?
That's all I have seen so far and it's pretty disappointing.

Tons of variety. If you don't mind being spoiled, look up.

sprocket

Banned
Deepblue said:
Game looks way better in motion.

yeah one thing people dont realize is when you look at a screen shot .. all the lighting and shadows that are normally baked into the objects in most games actually move and respond in real time in MGS4. It is absolutely stunning.

Xtyle

just a thought, what if Kojima make the next policenauts the next "metal gear"?
I didn't really play that game enough to know the whole story but it looks like a good potential candidate.

gregor7777 said:
Those screenshots are decidedly average...the videos of the game that I've seen blow them out of the water.

I know, I'm waiting for some better photos.. with all the pre-release gif making that used to happen you'd think people would be all over this thread.

sprocket

Banned
GauntletFan said:
I know, I'm waiting for some better photos.. with all the pre-release gif making that used to happen you'd think people would be all over this thread.

every one is too busy playing. :D

$h@d0w

DoctorWho said:
Any way to get a camera in multiplayer? There is a photoalbum in MGO.

Yeah the camera is there, I think you can use a USB keyboard or second controller to trigger it too.

Holy shit at strap detail dabookerman :)

CAUTION ENSURE STRAP IS TIGHT

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Do you have to get the camera at the very beginning of act 2?

I am now in the middle of act 2 and did not do the MkII thing during the briefing. Is it too late? :(

$h@d0w

chespace said:
Do you have to get the camera at the very beginning of act 2?

I am now in the middle of act 2 and did not do the MkII thing during the briefing. Is it too late? :(

If you select Mission Briefing from the main menu you can grab it there. When you come back to the menu and save you should have it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
$h@d0w said:
If you select Mission Briefing from the main menu you can grab it there. When you come back to the menu and save you should have it.

Come back to the menu and save from the main menu? Or load a saved game and then save?

$h@d0w

chespace said:
Come back to the menu and save from the main menu? Or load a saved game and then save?

Press mission briefing, load the save you are playing, select act 2 then pick up the camera. When you come out of the briefing and back to the main menu, it asks you to save - this saves the camera pickup to your game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chespace said:
Che, I don't think that works. If you wait until the act 4 briefing, you will get exclusive photos of Naomi. You can get it later.

edit: Or it does work. I haven't tried it.

$h@d0w

Y2Kev said:
Che, I don't think that works. If you wait until the act 4 briefing, you will get exclusive photos of Naomi. You can get it later.

edit: Or it does work. I haven't tried it.

I think it worked for me, I was in act 3 when I realised the briefings had items to pick up. I went back to act 2 and found it, saved and could use it.

Top Bottom