• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA |OT| I Have No Mouth but I Will Scream, on The Dark Descent into A Machine

Robiin

Hm, strange. Bought it this morning (07:30) in the german psn. Late update for the rest of the world.
Yup, bought it as well around 9-10 am here in Norway. I was planning on buying it midnight but glad I went to sleep instead. Why the f is PS4 wifi downloads so slow though?? Onky just finished downloading the game and patch, almost 3 hours later. Is this a common problem? I only have one ethernet outlet by my TV area and it's connected to my Wii U for Smash...

Robiin

Just a note for people who can't find it in the store, you are searching right? It wasn't on the new releases page for me, had to search by letters!

drotahorror

I can't write, I can't code, I can't compose, I can't draw

I'm not saying the game is bad. Mechnically it's awesome! And for most people it's going to be scary. I just... Can't get into the atmosphere or the enemies. I shouldn't have gone in blind. That's my fault.

Also, hilarious was not referring to the quality of the game: Simply the atmosphere build up to the enemies.

I went in blind. Haven't seen a video since the promo vid a couple years ago or whenever that was. I thought the first enemy was pretty silly. I like the atmosphere though. I've already played it longer than the Amnesia games combined, so that's saying something.

shmoglish

Yup, bought it as well around 9-10 am here in Norway. I was planning on buying it midnight but glad I went to sleep instead. Why the f is PS4 wifi downloads so slow though?? Onky just finished downloading the game and patch, almost 3 hours later. Is this a common problem? I only have one ethernet outlet by my TV area and it's connected to my Wii U for Smash...

The Downloadspeed is often slow (I just started it via Smartphone, can not check it in this case), just a PSN problem.

SomTervo

i'm an hour in and this is fucking hilarious

this is NOT scary or suspenseful to me

gutting

I can't write, I can't code, I can't compose, I can't draw

I'm not saying the game is bad. Mechnically it's awesome! And for most people it's going to be scary. I just... Can't get into the atmosphere or the enemies. I shouldn't have gone in blind. That's my fault.

Also, hilarious was not referring to the quality of the game: Simply the atmosphere build up to the enemies.

I've got a feeling it'll be a slow builder. In terms of the horror as well as the atmosphere/quality. Will be interesting to see how you feel 7-8 hours in.

Atolm

I gotta say, visuals feel very dated. As my hype was through the roof I didn't watch any trailer, but I expected something better than this.

Robiin

I gotta say, visuals feel very dated. As my hype was through the roof I didn't watch any trailer, but I expected something better than this.
I only played about 40 minutes so far, but I disagree. The wall/floor textures are not the best, but the details on paintings, signs and notes so far have been great and readable without pressing R2 for text (this is on PS4) for me. And the lighting is incredible with the blues and reds. Very beautiful sci-fi atmosphere for me.

Amnesia was definitely not a looker, bu this is a great step up in my opinion.

artsi

It's not that great looking, but I can feel the creepy atmosphere and it's enough for a game like this.

I kind of got lost and stopped playing after getting frustrated, trying again later.

Atolm

I only played about 40 minutes so far, but I disagree. The wall/floor textures are not the best, but the details on paintings, signs and notes so far have been great and readable without pressing R2 for text (this is on PS4) for me. And the lighting is incredible with the blues and reds. Very beautiful sci-fi atmosphere for me.

Amnesia was definitely not a looker, bu this is a great step up in my opinion.

I Don't mind the visuals, really. It's just that I expected a bigger upgrade from Amnesia.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror. Can't play Silent Hill, F.E.A.R., or Dead Space alone (campy horror like RE or Parasite Eve is fine though). Would I be able to play this game?

no jump scares right? I don't like jump scares.

there are a couple of minor ones. but I don't really think of this is a horror game. it is scary in parts, but it's nowhere near as gimmicky about trying to scare you as something like alien isolation. I think of this more as a really cool adventure game, it has a story to tell. the atmosphere is pretty fucking brilliant, so that can be quite scary I guess. and the audio is absolutely fantastic, mostly the environment but the voice work is great too.

I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror. Can't play Silent Hill, F.E.A.R., or Dead Space alone (campy horror like RE or Parasite Eve is fine though). Would I be able to play this game?

possibly. it's pretty cheap right? I think you should give it a try. hehe.

pa22word

Anyone see this on gmg? I still have guano credit from a few months ago and was hoping to burn it on this, but I haven't noticed it in their store.

Well fuck now I dont know wether to save my cash.

I feel the loading and frame rate issues are being blown out of proportion a bit.

The game takes about a minute or so to load upon boot up, which is annoying and then perhaps 40-50 seconds to load a saved game (PS4). The mid level loads are literally a few seconds each and there isn't a cut to a loading screen, the game just occasionally pauses for a moment to load. This happens quite rarely.

Framerate to my eye has been steady 30fps most of the time. It dips occasionally but only very slightly. It's not harmful to the experience and I say that as someone who picks up on drops quite easily. The game works just fine so don't let these minor issues put you off, as it's otherwise pretty amazing all round.

danowat

Banned
Watched a load of reviews, and I can't make my mind up.........

Would this be good for someone who doesn't like "walking sims", like Ethan Carter and Rapture, but does like Sci-Fi / Horror games, Dead Space et al?

SomTervo

Would this be good for someone who doesn't like "walking sims", like Ethan Carter and Rapture, but does like Sci-Fi / Horror games, Dead Space et al?

These developers don't make walking sims. There will be plenty of puzzles, world interaction, things to do. Usually with an active narrative. Much more Dead Space or Alien: I than Rapture or Ethan Carter.

danowat

Banned
These developers don't make walking sims. There eill be plenty of puzzles, world interaction, things to do. Usually with an active narrative. Much more Dead Space or Alien: I than Rapture or Ethan Carter.

Sure some of the reviews I watched compared it to Ethan and Rapture though.

There will be stealth and puzzle elements. Apart that the... "intensity" of the game is much higher than other "walking sims" I played like Ethan Carter, Proteus, Dear Esther, Kairo, or Gone Home, which tends to be more calm and reflective.

pa22word

I think the reason alien reviewed worse than this at least from American outlets,alien is punishing and this is very forgiving and easy.

Alien's biggest problem is that it was too long.

It took amnesia's format and stretched it out to "Official retail game length (tm)", and it botched the pacing in the process. Also, they bungled a lesson that frictional learned the hard way in their first outing back in the mid 2000s: combat doesn't work in these games. In a lose-lose scenario, presenting an option to fight back just leeds to unnecessary frustration in an audience that's been conditioned to win if they have a weapon of any kind in their hand.

Lord Phol

Had no idea this was releasing now :O. Oh man Do I dare to buy it? According to the op there's dangerous marine life in this game, that's the worst ><.

Has anyone done a PC vs PS4 comparison yet?

Alien's biggest problem is that it was too long.

It took amnesia's format and stretched it out to "Official retail game length (tm)", and it botched the pacing in the process. Also, they bungled a lesson that frictional learned the hard way in their first outing back in the mid 2000s: combat doesn't work in these games. In a lose-lose scenario, presenting an option to fight back just leeds to unnecessary frustration in an audience that's been conditioned to win if they have a weapon of any kind in their hand.
I dislike horror games with combat, but I wish more games gave you ways to defend yourself and delay enemies. Weaponless doesn't need to mean defenseless.

Xater

I really like the game but I am not that scared by it tbh. The first Amnesia was still more effective. The atmosphere is incredibly creepy though.

Top Bottom