• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA |OT| I Have No Mouth but I Will Scream, on The Dark Descent into A Machine

There is something inherently more creepy and scary about a well told horror story with elements of terror, then just BOO jump scares. This has some jump stuff, but it's much more former then the later.

I don't mind jump scares as long as I don't feel as though there is an emphasis on them. They should be earned because of and through pre-existing tension.

This def has puzzles. One that require for example moving power and figuring out how much space is on a hard drive without over loading it. It's not insanely hard but there is a few moments. Another one has you directing power via a grid. It's got more to it then just pushing a button here and suddenly able to go somewhere else. Little bit more thought into it then that. And for anyone worried, Alien has the far more repetative enviroment that repeats, here we see lots of unique locals inside these facilities, sure they are all metal but they have unique layouts and most don't look a like.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it shouldn't be a major issue for me. Rest of the game sounds awesome. Would you say the puzzles
are similar to Amnesia?

Unlocked on pc/steam here, but it's doing some crazy unpacking thing. It said 5 minutes and has gone as high as 2 days. I don't think I've seen this particular process before.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unlocked on pc/steam here, but it's doing some crazy unpacking thing. It said 5 minutes and has gone as high as 2 days. I don't think I've seen this particular process before.

All pre-loaded games unpack. The data needs to be decrypted. It only took about five minutes for me.

Buburibon

Has anyone been able to downsample with DSR or otherwise? I can't get it to scale properly for some reason. Tried various scaling settings in NVCP and disabling/enabling "DIsable display scaling on high DPI settings" but no luck as of yet. The only in-game AA is FXAA and that's just not going to cut it unfortunately.

Has anyone been able to downsample with DSR or otherwise? I can't get it to scale properly for some reason. Tried various scaling settings in NVCP and disabling/enabling "DIsable display scaling on high DPI settings" but no luck as of yet. The only in-game AA is FXAA and that's just not going to cut it unfortunately.

Modding will no doubt add more tweaks for graphics but for now just enjoy the game.

Stiler

So just played for a few minutes, didn't think this game would give me any issues in terms of performance but on my 780/2600k I am getting some noticable lag/stuttering, even if i turn shadows down and aa low.

Anyone else?

nib95

Banned
Weird how the PC version is so much higher rated than the PS4 version on meta. Would have thought the PC version reviews would carry over.

Can confirm for PacificCoastGAF. No PSN showing at Midnight

California here, it's not up. That doesn't surprise me tbh since I don't even remember it up in the "Coming Soon" or "Pre-Order" section of the PS Store before today, so a midnight launch seemed highly unlikely.

Can you develop please ?

I can't write, I can't code, I can't compose, I can't draw

I'm not saying the game is bad. Mechnically it's awesome! And for most people it's going to be scary. I just... Can't get into the atmosphere or the enemies. I shouldn't have gone in blind. That's my fault.

Also, hilarious was not referring to the quality of the game: Simply the atmosphere build up to the enemies.

webkatt

Some say it's inside the cupboard. I'm guessing the location is randomized. Still can't find it though.

I found it in the cabinet above the microwave.

i1iFeGf.jpg

Lingitiz

Played about an hour and half. Story starts out slow but sets up a lot of intriguing things. Hasn't been to tense so far, although the one encounter got me a bit.

This does feel like your System Shock 2 or Bioshock intro of WTF is happening though. I like it.

Melchiah

:( but you guys had the better ps+ for years. The trade off was fair lol

We got better games on PS+ for a year or two, you've got games even months before us for console generations, and pay less for them even today. Hardly a fair trade.

Now you know how us Europeans feel, get games after NA, a lot of games flat out don't get a preload option.

Always the same complaining, when on the rare occasion the Europeans get something few hours sooner. We had to wait Dying Light for a month.

OK I now feel like a complete asshole
I electrocuted a defenseless robot which may or may not have had the consciousness of a man trapped inside it, the scream was pretty unsettling.

We got better games on PS+ for a year or two, you've got games even months before us for console generations, and pay less for them even today. Hardly a fair trade.

Always the same complaining, when on the rare occasion the Europeans get something few hours sooner. We had to wait Dying Light for a month.

It's usually three days later.

Melchiah

It's usually three days later.

For Europeans? It's nowadays usually a day later, which makes the complaining about it for once being the other way around rather irritating. Where were these complaints, when the most of downloadable games/DLCs were released a day before in NA?

This sucks.

"You can not progress further until the game has finished downloading."

Now all I can do is look at a timer, estimating the remaining download time. v_v

Top Bottom