• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

-Big Red Button is lead by Bob Rafei, a Naughty Dog veteran of the Jak & Daxter series and Uncharted 1. A lot of the team members also worked on Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.
-The Sonic Boom series as a whole is being run out of Sega of America as a fully Westernized version of the franchise, whereas Sonic Team in Japan is managing the Japanese based series.

Holy. shit.

Okay, Sega. You have me officially excited.

Elixist

so kinda confirmed to be Jak and Daxterish, that gets me excited. im down with some co-op too, split screen?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Isn't it by the people behind Sly 4?
I never played that, but even if it was good, knowing how to make a decent game with PS3 limitations is not the same as knowing how to make a good game with 3DS limitations.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
While playing Jak I hd recently, falling in love with it all over again, I kept thinking how great it'd be if we got another game like it this gen. If this is it, I'm all for it.

Kriken

I'm actually excited about the gameplay, but god the narrative is going to be horrendous.

The concept actually started with the TV show (made in France) and then they decided to make games with Western devs to support that.

I'm curious to how similar to the show it's gonna be, will it follow the narrative completely with a few tweaks here and there, or will it be its own story?

Foshy

While I agree that Uncharted 2 was pretty amazing, the old Crash games and the first Jak were pretty much perfection.
Never liked Crash compared to Mario. Same annoying shitty "edgy mascot" like Sonic. And Jak, while pretty, was your run-of-the-mill collectathon.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't like the artsyle, if I'm being honest. Tails is the only passable one. I can see why people are interested in the gameplay, it looks more diverse (and looks a lot like R&C, Crash etc.) But I'm skeptical. I'm wondering if they are going to be able to mesh all these different game mechanics with the level design. Whether it will all flow together. One of the reasons I didn't love Sonic Lost World's, is because I felt the gameplay didn't quite mesh together with the concept they went with. I liked parts of the game, but not the whole.

My 12 year old son's actual chat replies when I sent him the video link from work:

"whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat happened to knuckles?"

"Whats up with everyone looking like outlanders from jak and daxter? Look at all the straps on them."

He's excited, though. Just found it funny that he made a Jak & Daxter connection without knowing anyone from that team was working on this.

TheOGB

Banned
The funny thing about the Guile jokes is that he and Knuckles have the same VA.

And if you're gonna make Amy a strong female then STOP GIVING HER SLUTFACE
has nothing to do with the game admittedly, more to do with whoever's doing the promotional art for the characters. In fact, this game's problem is Amy's "I've seen some shit" face

Why? Eggman is fine. They keep trying with these new bosses, and they just end up being silly. The furious five, or whatever, from the last game? Deadly five? Fuck it--you follow me--they were abysmally silly. Eggman is that right mixture of cartoony yet sinister.
Ice King tier
without the downright sad

It's happening

I really like the idea of giving Amy more to do than just be a pretty face, and it's telling that she and Tails have the more tolerable redesigns (he comes off just fine, lol). But strong narrative my ass, you can't even make Eggman foreboding anymore!

They're trying to fit four different games into one, which didn't work out too well for the Adventure games overall; for us it's a travesty, but for youngins this will be their first big Sonic experience, one where platforming is just one quarter of the "fun". None of this feels like Sonic to me, and I still feel Adventure 1 is mostly platforming, so this might be the first truly New Sonic game in a long time. So my final beef with this is that they think kids will want to play one kind of game at a time, as though they weren't going to alway be playing and realize that each level's a dull, spectacle-driven grab-bag of second-rate design elements after another. Depressing.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Expected a single-player Guile game at first though
BMIlJII.gif

LOL you're not alone

doofy102

I'm more pleased at the information that this Big Red Button company exists.

Was wondering where all the Gen 7 platformer guys went. This means that the next Team Sonic game won't be Wii U exclusive, right? :D

I'm curious to how similar to the show it's gonna be, will it follow the narrative completely with a few tweaks here and there, or will it be its own story?

It's apparently gonna be a prequel to the show, and this subseries is in its own continuity.

I'm sorry guys. Nothing about this looks good. At all.

Also, My nephew is a huge sonic fan (he's 8) and this was his reaction to new designs:

KalmMtZ.png

EhoaVash

I'm not a fan of those jak & dexter/ sly cooper games. they're too much fight this collect this nonsense

Much rather have a gotta go fast sonic game. Hopefully this game has a lot of speed, and not the awful Sonic adventure style knuckle collecting shard pieces garbage.

They're both taking their own approach apparently:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sonic-boom-brings-a-brand-new-sonic-to-wii-u-3ds-and-tv

"It's a Cartoon Network series, so it has to work for kids, but the goal is to make a smart, funny comedy that will play on two levels," says Sonic Boom executive producer and showrunner Evan Baily. "We never write down to the audience and we tell stories that are really complex for kids TV. The goal has been from the beginning to make something that fans will love and kids will love." 

That said, Baily does point to Adult Swim's Regular Show as an inspiration for Sonic Boom. He doesn't believe the 11-minute format is "limiting at all," but Sonic Boom won't have story arcs and progression either. 

"It is episodic and the world does reset at the end of every episode or beginning of the next. It's not arc-ed. We're not making deep long-term changes to the continuity. We're telling stories that exist in a moment of time," Baily tells me. 

Both Baily and Rafei told me that their teams have a lot of freedom to define the characters. Neither group is completely tied to the other, so you can follow either the cartoon or the game without partaking in the other version, 

"I think we have a lot of leeway. It was a major collaboration between Sonic Team, the TV people, Sega West, and Big Red Button," says Rafei. "There was a lot of conversation and we pulled the character in experimental directions and ultimately found the right mix that was true to the franchise." 

"We've taken a different approach," adds Baily. "Video games and TV are good at different things; we want to let the game do what games are great at and let the show do what shows are great at. They definitely have a lot in common, but they're not identical."

TL21xx

Banned
Cross quote from another thread on the topic.

Another point of interest involving this title: Chris Senn, one of the lead developers on Sonic X-treme, is working on the project!

Source: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senntient

I thought I recognized the developer, but it didn't don on me that it was the studio he was working at. I'm certainly more excited for the game knowing he's working on the title.

I'm wondering if they are going to be able to mesh all these different game mechanics with the level design. Whether it will all flow together. One of the reasons I didn't love Sonic Lost World's, is because I felt the gameplay didn't quite mesh together with the concept they went with. I liked parts of the game, but not the whole.

That's been Sega's problem in general with Sonic. Not being able to focus and refine a gameplay style, most notably in Lost World.

Who knows, they may be able to do it, but I really doubt it will be coherent enough to feel like Sonic rather than some generic platformer.

Son Of D

no 3ds screens, oh well

I'd imagine that the focus will be on Wii U, with some occasional screens and vids of the 3DS version. Like what happened with Lost World (and Smash).

I'm more pleased at the information that this Big Red Button company exists.

Was wondering where all the Gen 7 platformer guys went. This means that the next Team Sonic game won't be Wii U exclusive, right? :D

Rumour is that it's PS4, XB1 and Wii U.

-While speed is an element in the game, it's not the main focus for the Sonic Boom series.

Fuck this shit.

-Combat and "strong narrative" are major aspects of the game.

Doubly fuck this shit.

-Sonic Team will still make games focused on speed that aren't part of the Sonic Boom series. These are being developed in parallel, so (Nirolak's conjecture) expecting annualization is not unreasonable.

GOOD.

Now that the chaos has settled down, we can draw less dramatic conclusions. I'm taking a wait and see approach, and reading all of those bullet points in combination with the unique styles of play along with the pedigree of the studio, I can allow for some hype. Now if they could apply some shin shortening surgery, that would be grand.

One thing that I thought from the beginning is that the game looks fantastic. I almost thought that we were seeing next-fen footage. Pretty good for the WiiU. Which brings me to my other point, what a shame it's only on the WiiU. Are they sending the Sonic Boom franchise out to die? They simply won't get the marketshare they deserve with the WiiU's player base.

Those new character designs look awful. The environments look like they could turn out well though.

Either way, I don't have much hope for the game. We all know how this goes.

NotLiquid

I really like the idea of giving Amy more to do than just be a pretty face, and it's telling that she and Tails have the more tolerable redesigns (he comes off just fine, lol). But strong narrative my ass, you can't even make Eggman foreboding anymore!

They're trying to fit four different games into one, which didn't work out too well for the Adventure games overall; for us it's a travesty, but for youngins this will be their first big Sonic experience, one where platforming is just one quarter of the "fun". None of this feels like Sonic to me, and I still feel Adventure 1 is mostly platforming, so this might be the first truly New Sonic game in a long time.

I don't think I'd go as far as calling it "four games in one" which sounds like something more applicable to Unleashed, and this doesn't seem nearly as splintered as Sonic Adventure is. The point of having different playstyles here seems to be that each character functionally controls the same but comes with an additional "ability" or gimmick to them. Seems more like DK64 in terms of multiple characters.

Sounds like it's set up like Banjo Kazooie. I know I'm about the only one, but I always enjoyed the open world collect-a-thon games, so I may actually follow this.

Roid Knuckles upsets me though.

-Big Red Button is lead by Bob Rafei, a Naughty Dog veteran of the Jak & Daxter series and Uncharted 1. A lot of the team members also worked on Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.

This bit makes me excited, but the character designs, how shitty I expect the story to be, and the overall image they're making for it (dubstep trailer) makes me wish these people were working on something else.

D-e-f-

Banned
Cross quote from another thread on the topic.

I thought I recognized the developer, but it didn't don on me that it was the studio he was working at. I'm certainly more excited for the game knowing he's working on the title.

So

Current

Lead Level Implementer at Big Red Button Entertainment, Inc.

is that good?

Oriel

I'm actually more hyped for this now than I was earlier after slowly digesting it all. There's loads of potential here, IF done correctly.

BTW, it's clear we need a SonicGAF sub forum. ;)

Top Bottom