• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

Mlatador

Banned
Speed not being the main focus of the game is actually a good thing. Children want an adventure, some kind of story, action and not just running through the levels as fast as possible, especially those 6 to 11 year olds.

-Big Red Button is lead by Bob Rafei, a Naughty Dog veteran of the Jak & Daxter series and Uncharted 1. A lot of the team members also worked on Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.

This bit makes me excited, but the character designs, how shitty I expect the story to be, and the overall image they're making for it (dubstep trailer) makes me wish these people were working on something else.

The character designs (and probably the story, too) are completely out of the developer's hands since they have to match up with the show, which the developers have no control over.

I really hope that the music isn't all dubstep, though.

Castcoder

Banned
I don't understand mainly Knuckle's design. Amy and Tails look fine to me, though. Sonic is too tall, slim, and not very iconic in this. It will look jarring for the uninitiated to understand why Sonic is taller and smaller depending on the upcoming games.

HOWEVER, this is the first time I've really seen a Sonic game look exceptionally fun to play. The gameplay may very well be the winning part of this that we can't see yet. I'm afraid it will be ruined like Ratchet & Clank All 4 One was, but if handled well, it could be a decent four-player experience like Super Mario 3D World.

MilkBeard

Oh god they actually used Bangarang on the trailer? Jeez.

Anyway, the gameplay looks like it could be quite fun, and the ex-Naughty Dog developers gives me confidence, although this may end up being another rushed Sega product that ultimately doesn't let the developer flex its muscles.

I liked Lost World, so I'm going to remain optimistic about how fun this game will be, but I have a feeling it's going to get middling reviews as well.

I don't think I'd go as far as calling it "four games in one" which sounds like something more applicable to Unleashed, and this doesn't seem nearly as splintered as Sonic Adventure is. The point of having different playstyles here seems to be that each character functionally controls the same but comes with an additional "ability" or gimmick to them. Seems more like DK64 in terms of multiple characters.
Maybe not, but they'll need to exploit those differences to get the most out of their level design, and so they're still going to get away from any pure identity that could otherwise be attained.

I'm with Congressman on this one: there's too many risks involved with this many developers culled from the Sony quartet of platforming games (Crash/Jak/Sly/Ratchet—poor Spyro) who each want to call something their own. This is why we have smaller studios making smaller games, so that they can feel they own their work. Experimentation and taking influences from other games is important, but now would be a good time for Sonic Team to simply hunker down on one of their previous design documents and figure out what they can refine.

Shun

Please let Japanese Studios be the only studios to develop Japanese IPs. With sole exceptions for Retro and Next Level.

Another gif
knuckleupulawt.gif
\
Hilarious climbing animation aside. I really like how open it is. Seeing all the rings in the background and all the gaps even further in gives an idea on how open it can be.

MilkBeard

The character designs (and probably the story, too) are completely out of the developer's hands since they have to match up with the show, which the developers have no control over.

I really hope that the music isn't all dubstep, though.

It won't be. Remember the Sonic Lost World trailer? That song was nowhere to be found in the actual game, as far as I can remember.

Mlatador

Banned
Another gif
\
Hilarious climbing animation aside. I really like how open it is. Seeing all the rings in the background and all the gaps even further in gives an idea on how open it can be.

Man, your gifs are just too awesome. Makes it muuch easier to get a better look at the game. The gameplay elements in the trailer were super-short.

Pretty bad-ass way of climbing by using your... knuckles.

Interesting how much of this big push can be attributed to the STI connection. Yasuhara and Cerny both went to Naughty Dog, and now Naughty Dog alumni want a piece of the Sonic pie. If only Yasuhara would collaborate with Sonic Team, or even Cerny with BRB and Sanzaru...

Maedhros

This game give me better feelings than Lost World did. The visuals don't looks like a custerfluck. I noticed the character design was very western inspired (the only ones I'm not fond are Sonic and Knuckles, but I'll get over it pretty fast).

Making all of them playable is pretty much a plus for me. The bandages seems to give them some different powers.

I'm pretty much ok with the game. Too bad it's exclusive for Wii U, I'll probably have to watch someone playing it. I'll support them trying the 3DS version though.

Oriel

Another gif

Level design looks remarkably like Red Mountain from Sonic Adventure.

Mononoke

Banned
That's been Sega's problem in general with Sonic. Not being able to focus and refine a gameplay style, most notably in Lost World.

Who knows, they may be able to do it, but I really doubt it will be coherent enough to feel like Sonic rather than some generic platformer.

I have my fingers crossed. I'm always hoping for a great Sonic Game. Lost World had potential, and despite the negative criticism it got, there was a lot of things I liked about that game. But it just never came together. That's my only fear for this one. I hope the gemeplay and the level design all flows.

Rulp

You know what... I don't like this one bit. really don't like the new style (especially the music). I am also not thrilled by the gameplay info. While it may be a good 3D action game, it really does not sound like a platformer at all. I really don't want to see Sonic turn into a western franchise should this series overtake Sonic Team's games popularity/profitability wise. I'm not saying it looks like a bad game, but I have conflicting feelings about it. However, I would be more accepting if it was based off Sonic Underground stylistically. On the other hand, I have very little faith in Sonic team doing anything right. I am just a guy that wants a good 2D Sonic game.

The trailer makes it look and sound like a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon (and considering it's a tie-in to the new show, it all makes sense), and character designs are still...kinda off-putting, but the gameplay and levels look awesome. I know, I know, sonic-cycle, Lost Worlds looked awesome too. Point is I'm very cautiously optimistic. A little. (Not liking the sound of speed not being the focus here.)

Did they mention at all, what the Japanese side of Sega is cooking up for Sonic? Also, I thought Sanzaru was a Sony studio since they did Sly.

Ushiwaka

-Sonic Team will still make games focused on speed that aren't part of the Sonic Boom series. These are being developed in parallel, so (Nirolak's conjecture) expecting annualization is not unreasonable.

I'll wait for Sonic Team's game then.

Beth Cyra

it's a shame Sanzaru has to slum it making this shit. Sony should have kept them on board to make a platformer.
they likely still are.

Also who says their slumming it? Beware worked on Sonic and it was by choice, its very possible the exact same thing happened here.

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, particularly the bit about Sonic being about "joyous movement," and turning Amy into something other than an annoying chick character. I kind of hope this game blows away the Sonic Team Sonics just to see what the reaction would be...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm not a huge Sonic fan, I've played all the Genesis games and Sonic Adventure 1/2 but goddamn that Knuckles design is hi-larious. They just stuck his tiny head on a giant body.

A Sonic game not made by Sega, how much you wanna bet its the best Sonic (3D) game ever made?

it's a shame Sanzaru has to slum it making this shit. Sony should have kept them on board to make a platformer.

I'm pretty sure that they are making another one for Sony. On their Facebook they updated with this and mentioned that it's just one of the things that they're working on. But last year they posted this, which i'm guessing is a pretty big hint of what they're also doing

untitled1ekdk.png

khaaan

Was neutral towards the idea but I'm starting to warm up to it, seems more interesting than any of the recent games at the very least.

Elixist

Another gif
\

the graphics are pretty fuckin slick specially for wii u, i actually like the animation too. nice gifs man

Riki

the graphics are pretty fuckin slick specially for wii u, i actually like the animation too. nice gifs man

Which is why it's so sad that this is the first Cry3 game on the WiiU. We know the engine runs well on the system but no one uses it.

Top Bottom