• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

Ridley327

I don't know about BRb but Sanzaru did a solid job on Sly 4 and it is sad to see them moving on to Sonic 3DS instead of Sony keeping them as a second party developer.

Don't like the character design and WUB WUB in the trailer.

Sanzaru's used to doing contract work. They even did a Mystery Case Files title for Nintendo on the Wii.

Elixist

I'm actually really looking forward to learn more about this because of the development team. Designs could use some tweaking but I personally don't care so long as there's solid gameplay; co-op throughout the campaign is definitely a huge plus.

interested in hearing more about how co-op works for sure.

Drago

Really excited about this. Both the WiiU and the 3DS version have some fantastic devs behind them. I expect great things!

Hopefully it will make up for the mediocrity that was Lost World. :|

Mlatador

Banned
Psh, I was already on it.

The Cryengine Demo trailer was is a bit blurrier than the Sonic Trailer but you can still get an idea on what changed.

Since this is a cartoon tie-in with a western focus, I'm still wary that the soundtrack will be filled with Wubstep and Buttrock.

Excellent work, bobby! Looks almost identical to me (apart of the bluriness).

Revven

Wasn't Shadow the Hedgehog sort of pushed by SoA? I know the actual Sonic Team made it but I thought SoA was instrumental in that game getting made in the first place so... this is like somewhat of a second-attempt at directly appealing to the Western market -- except on a bigger scale lol (going so far as to redesign the characters).

I'll keep my eyes on this game but I'm not really amped about it like I would be if it was another Sonic game by Sonic Team on the level of Colors/Generations.

Edit: Oh my god Hero of Legend, that matches up with the two years of dev. for this game so far, too. Hunnid P hype! (
not being serious calm down pls
)

Day one, this looks great. I'd be upset if was replacing the OG/main/speed-based Sonic series, but as it's not, I'm totally down for this. The only thing I'm not crazy about is Knuckles' redesign, but I can live with it.

Cartoon looks great too, I can't wait!

Effect

Nintendo had better be damn smart about this. They better treat this as their own, it being an exclusive, and go to bat for this. They should be championing this every time they can talk about the Wii U.

Maedhros

I think what they're doing with Amy Rose is what Sonic Team should've done a decade ago.

They're doing this on the comics too. Amy is a much more enjoyable character recently. She still wants dat hedgehog penors... but at least she's much less annoying and kinda useful.

So, having her being playable is a great plus for me.

Another thing I HATE from Adventure series. Fuck this shit, attrocious music!

Gagaman

Even after mulling over it for a bit I'm still at the conclusion that I'm probably gonna be sitting out this entire Sonic Boom thing. Not a problem, I never cared for Underground, X, pretty much every game between SA2 and Unleashed either. There's so much Sonic I don't have to like all of it. I feel so indifferent about this new spin off I could take it or leave it.

I don't feel like I hate it, simply that it doesn't appeal to me much at all. It's looks like most western platformers (Racthet, Sly, Skylanders etc) which I find incredibly boring and unappealing.

Considering the pedigree involved No doubt the game won't turn out bad, in fact I bet a lot of people will love it, it's just nothing about it looks very 'Sonic' to me. People complained that Lost World was too Mario but at I'd rather that than being too fetch-quest-openish-world-key-puzzles blah blah blah. It's probably too early to assume it'll be like that but I'd love to be proven wrong.

All this game is gonna do is create yet another fraction of the fandom that will want all future games in their preferred style, making it even harder for Sega to figure out what anyone wants. We already have 16-bit purists vs Adventure fans vs Boost era fans vs people clinging on to SATAM and other dead spin offs etc.

Having said that I hope there is at least some clever new ideas in this that actually suit the Sonic franchise, and not just focus tested copy-paste concepts from other games.

I'm actually warming up to the new Eggman design in the TV show teaser. He's pretty campy looking in a good way like a baron. Anything's better than bolt nipples.

OG Loc

Pass I will wait for the proper true Sonic game and not some imposter crap. I can't ducking believe this is the third exclusive Sonic game for the Wii U, oh well since it's for the Wii U it will bomb...hopefully.

Wow, what a shitball post.

Hoping a game bombs because it doesn't interest you? Grow up.

Sciz

Since this is a cartoon tie-in with a western focus, I'm still wary that the soundtrack will be filled with Wubstep and Buttrock.

Well, they're no strangers to dubstep in recent years, but the music's in perfectly good hands if the usual team's handling it.

That actually looks quite stunning. Though I too share your concern about the music. Sonic Adventure had too much emphasis on rock, which I find quite alien to Sonic. I'm hoping Richard Jacques and Jun Senoue are involved with the music.

You think SA had too much emphasis on rock... and want the guy responsible to be involved?

You know what! You know what.

I think I know what I find so off-putting about the character designs in-game.

They have no eyebrows!

h96YvfI.jpg

It's the Brad Dourif in LOTR effect.

Skyzard

Banned
Trailer looks awesome! Despite the new character designs.
Hopefully this turns out better than the last, which I also remember enjoying the trailers of but this looks more fleshed out and detailed.

Oriel

Well, they're no strangers to dubstep in recent years, but the music's in perfectly good hands if the usual team's handling it.

You think SA had too much emphasis on rock... and want the guy responsible to be involved?

Jun Senoue is capable of making good, non rock music as well. The stuff he did for Generations was excellent.

ohlawd

Sonic Lost World was such a piece of shit oh man you can't fool me twice.

oh. different devs and is totally a different game? OK I'll give these guys one chance.

.la1n

I wasn't on board right away but the team has pedigree and I think it might be exactly what Sonic needs. Japan studio is still working away on another entry like we are used to I am sure.

RagnarokX

Day one, this looks great. I'd be upset if was replacing the OG/main/speed-based Sonic series, but as it's not, I'm totally down for this. The only thing I'm not crazy about is Knuckles' redesign, but I can live with it.

Cartoon looks great too, I can't wait!

Come now, Ash. Sonic looks pretty awful, too, and you know it :p

His legs are creepy long and he's been partially mummified.

The game itself could be good but boy are Knuckles and Sonic ugly.

Pass I will wait for the proper true Sonic game and not some imposter crap. I can't ducking believe this is the third exclusive Sonic game for the Wii U, oh well since it's for the Wii U it will bomb...hopefully.

Every time I see someone complain about WiiU's library being slim, this type of malicious port-begging comes to mind.

Sciz

Jun Senoue is capable of making good, non rock music as well. The stuff he did for Generations was excellent.

Almost everything he did in Generations was rock. He does have a better range than that, yeah, but even when given the opportunity he almost never breaks from busting out the guitar. Even Black Knight's riddled with it and that game's half middle English folk music.

Just a quick question since I'm reading a lot of people saying this will be the last exclusive Sonic on the Wii U (the 3 games deal). What's the second game? Are we counting the Mario&Sonic one? Is there any word on this from SEGA/Nintendo?

Just curious as I wouldn't really include the Olympics game in the batch since it really isn't a Sonic game.

Anyway, I'm in the team that doesn't really like the redesigns but I'm liking the graphics and environments.

TunaLover

I think I would dig the new design, but the bandages still bother me, they serve to no purpose, they even have bandages in the shoes *sigh*

Riki

Just a quick question since I'm reading a lot of people saying this will be the last exclusive Sonic on the Wii U (the 3 games deal). What's the second game? Are we counting the Mario&Sonic one? Is there any word on this from SEGA/Nintendo?

Just curious as I wouldn't really include the Olympics game in the batch since it really isn't a Sonic game.
Nintendo and Sega said the first two were Mario and Sonic Olympics and Lost World.
This is the third.
At least for right now. There will likely be others, like always.

It is the 3rd, it was in the PR and the twitter account answered a fan directly saying it's the 3rd. The Nintendo PR might've been misinformed or the messenger (Joystiq?) made a typo.

Edit: Beaten. :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
yeah they should have just kept it simple and iconic.

No need to "edge" em up.

Western devs always love putting their own spin on iconic eastern characters that dont need changing.

If Sonic has to wrap his shoes with bandages, then it's time to buy some new freaking shoes, Sonic!

Uh thats support wrap like boxers wear.

Actually not that bad looking I think. I like the worn down stranded look they got going on.

Nintendo and Sega said the first two were Mario and Sonic Olympics and Lost World.
This is the third.
At least for right now. There will likely be others, like always.

It is the 3rd, it was in the PR and the twitter account answered a fan directly saying it's the 3rd. The Nintendo PR might've been misinformed or the messenger (Joystiq?) made a typo.

Edit: Beaten. :)
Cheers.

Kind of disappointing. :\ Not the exclusive part, I was just hoping that we could have two more Sonic games in the near future to be curious about (the next gen one and the 3rd from this deal), even though I don't usually play Sonic games.

Kokonoe

Banned
This looks pretty cool.

-They made Amy Rose a much bigger character in the game because they wanted there to be more strong female characters and also for the game to appeal to girls more.

Awesome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You sicken me...

Not liking a game doesn't mean you should wish for it to fail...

...Are you serious?

Wow, what a shitball post.

Hoping a game bombs because it doesn't interest you? Grow up.

Guys I wasn't being serous about wanting the game to bomb, it was my attempt of
making a bad joke of an entitled gamer. I would never wish for a game to bomb even if I disagree it with it.

Every time I see someone complain about WiiU's library being slim, this type of malicious port-begging comes to mind.

Urm I wasn't port begging, since I don't intend to buy the garbage at all.

Codeblue

I think Amy and Tails look alright. The other two though need an overhaul or something.

Also Dubstep? Bring Naganuma back damn it.

HardRojo

Are they by any chance working with Sonic Team? I mean, did Sonic Team approve of these designs? Were they out of their minds?

Are they by any chance working with Sonic Team? I mean, did Sonic Team approve of these designs? Were they out of their minds?

Yeah I just don't know wtf happened. It's so weird to watch how Mario and the gang have become classic, lovable, staples in terms of appearance, while Sonic has gone through so many awkward, ill-executed designs.

Come now, Ash. Sonic looks pretty awful, too, and you know it :p

His legs are creepy long and he's been partially mummified.

The game itself could be good but boy are Knuckles and Sonic ugly.

Nah, Sonic looks fine to me. The only thing that's bugging me now that I notice it is the fact that his arms are blue, which looks even weirder since Amy's arms are skin-colored like hers and Sonic's have always been. Can't unsee that now.

But nah, I'm cool with his overall design. I like OG modern Sonic more, but that series is continuing too so I have no issues.

Top Bottom