• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

Rulp

1363686906500.jpg

This guy knows. This guy knows a lot.

Regiruler

You know what... I don't like this one bit. really don't like the new style (especially the music). I am also not thrilled by the gameplay info. While it may be a good 3D action game, it really does not sound like a platformer at all. I really don't want to see Sonic turn into a western franchise should this series overtake Sonic Team's games popularity/profitability wise. I'm not saying it looks like a bad game, but I have conflicting feelings about it. However, I would be more accepting if it was based off Sonic Underground stylistically. On the other hand, I have very little faith in Sonic team doing anything right. I am just a guy that wants a good 2D Sonic game.

They always use different music for trailers than what's actually in-game (since generations I think). It's a stupid trend but at least we don't have to deal with it in the game itself.

sphagnum

Banned
The art style is pretty bland and some of the graphics are up in the air - the environments look nice but the shading/lighting seems of on the characters. But it seems to have a good pedigree behind it, so I may give it a shot.

Rulp

They always use different music for trailers than what's actually in-game (since generations I think). It's a stupid trend but at least we don't have to deal with it in the game itself.

I figured as much, it's just the idea that they might that bothers me.

I'm going to be frank here: I've been waiting for something like this. What Sonic Boom is going for has always been my dream Sonic game (character models for Sonic and Knuckles aside).

A Sonic game done in an action-adventure style (akin to Spyro and Jak and Daxter) that encourages speed and exploration with a multitude of playable characters.

If the game is sound in both mechanics and design, it may prove to be the best game in the Sonic franchise for me.

Elixist

I'm going to be frank here: I've been waiting for something like this. What Sonic Boom is going for has always been my dream Sonic game (character models for Sonic and Knuckles aside).

A Sonic game done in an action-adventure style (akin to Spyro and Jak and Daxter) that encourages speed and exploration with a multitude of playable characters.

If the game is sound in both mechanics and design, it may prove to be the best game in the Sonic franchise for me.

im gettin those feels oh noes

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pass I will wait for the proper true Sonic game and not some imposter crap. I can't ducking believe this is the third exclusive Sonic game for the Wii U, oh well since it's for the Wii U it will bomb...hopefully.

Note: I am not being serous with the hopefully part it was meant to be a joke of a entitle gamer, I would never wish for a game to bomb even if I don't agree with it.

bon

Amy has the best redesign. If she got rid of the bandages I could see that design fitting in a Sonic Team game.

Tails looks mostly the same except they strapped belts, pouches and goggles to him, which I don't really like.

Sonic looks too scruffy, and he would look better with tan arms.

Knuckles looks like his upper body was stung by bees.

As for the game itself, I'm cautiously optimistic. Doesn't look as good as Lost World but it could be a fun spinoff.

Elixist

im wondering how rolling is gonna be handled. if they cant use physics i say just design something new hopefully.

Oriel

Pass I will wait for the proper true Sonic game and not some imposter crap. I can't ducking believe this is the third exclusive Sonic game for the Wii U, oh well since it's for the Wii U it will bomb...hopefully.

That's a terrible thing to say. I'm seriously contemplating getting a WiiU just for this game now.

Riki

You sicken me...

JazzmanZ

Not liking a game doesn't mean you should wish for it to fail...

I don't know, the 'proper' Sonic games have been mediocre at best for a long, long time.

The designs of the characters might be too different for some tastes, but if the game itself is good, I'm totally interested.

RagnarokX

The game could be good. Character design is mostly bad. Putting a focus on plot and characters is bad for Sonic.

Not sure why they gave everyone energy whips. Tails activates his by twisting his belt buckle in the cartoon teaser. Sonic and Amy are using theirs to hit some devices, and Sonic can be seen swinging around on his in the trailer. They seem to have given Tails a gun, too. Not sure how it will be as a Sonic game, but it could be a good 3D platformer/adventure game.

Get to work :)
Psh, I was already on it.
The Cryengine Demo trailer was is a bit blurrier than the Sonic Trailer but you can still get an idea on what changed.
Since this is a cartoon tie-in with a western focus, I'm still wary that the soundtrack will be filled with Wubstep and Buttrock.

Axass

-Big Red Button is lead by Bob Rafei, a Naughty Dog veteran of the Jak & Daxter series and Uncharted 1. A lot of the team members also worked on Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.
-The game director notes that his experience on Uncharted was part of their influence in making the game in a more action/adventure direction, and that the team is making a game they would want to play. However, they want to make sure it still feels like a Sonic game instead of just Jak or Ratchet with a Sonic skin.

That explains so much about the designs and the general vibe of the project.

Smellycat

The game looks fun and it is pretty. I am surprised that it might not make it to Japan.

So, is this the 3rd game that Iwata talked about?

Teppic

They need to fix the awful character designs and music. Other than that it looks good. They just have to nail the controls and gameplay.

Oriel

Psh, I was already on it.

The Cryengine Demo trailer was is a bit blurrier than the Sonic Trailer but you can still get an idea on what changed.

Since this is a cartoon tie-in with a western focus, I'm still wary that the soundtrack will be filled with Wubstep and Buttrock.

That actually looks quite stunning. Though I too share your concern about the music. Sonic Adventure had too much emphasis on rock, which I find quite alien to Sonic. I'm hoping Richard Jacques and Jun Senoue are involved with the music.

shaowebb

-They made Amy Rose a much bigger character in the game because they wanted there to be more strong female characters and also for the game to appeal to girls more. They also note "If she was to break out and have a game of her own you'd probably get an idea of what that would look like based on this game."

FUCK NO.

0wRiKoR.gif

Bring in Sally.

Ricky 7

This game actually sounds pretty decent. Plus the entire game is co-op? That just makes it even better.

so kinda confirmed to be Jak and Daxterish, that gets me excited. im down with some co-op too, split screen?

The Wii U has two screens so co-op is going to be pretty awesome.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
This is like one of those platform games that are generally praised but I barely ever touched because of bad/wack char design like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet, Crash etc. Just irks me out.

Hope it's well received though.

Thanks for confirming my thought. It is terrible character design indeed.

nampad

I don't know about BRb but Sanzaru did a solid job on Sly 4 and it is sad to see them moving on to Sonic 3DS instead of Sony keeping them as a second party developer.

Don't like the character design and WUB WUB in the trailer.

greg400

Banned
I'm actually really looking forward to learn more about this because of the development team. Designs could use some tweaking but I personally don't care so long as there's solid gameplay; co-op throughout the campaign is definitely a huge plus.

Thanks for confirming my thought. It is terrible character design indeed.

yeah they should have just kept it simple and iconic.

No need to "edge" em up.

Western devs always love putting their own spin on iconic eastern characters that dont need changing.

If Sonic has to wrap his shoes with bandages, then it's time to buy some new freaking shoes, Sonic!

Top Bottom