• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

WillyFive

Kaijima said:
... I am going to file this under "joke post of the month" and move on.

What about Sonic 3 being the best in the series offends you? Do you not agree?

joetachi said:
you know what else happend in the nineties mario making a good 3d game were you alive in the 90's?

Look at France today. Does that mean Napoleon didn't exist?

AniHawk

Leviathan1 said:
Nintendo's competition at the time was Super Mario World versus Sonic 1, 2 and 3K. Sega won the "platformer" battle with three games (Sonic 3K being the flawless victory). You know in the era where a video games console was called a "SEGA" and when people thought a game was shit they would say "looks like a Nintendo game".

Were you alive in the nineties?

Were you alive in the 90s? Sonic became irrelevant after DKC hit.

Also, one game being outsold by the combined total of four doesn't really support your case that one was more popular than the other. That's like saying Halo has more widespread appeal than Wii Fit because all three Halo games have sold about 25m copies while Wii Fit has sold about 20 million.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
joetachi said:
you know what else happend in the nineties mario making a good 3d game were you alive in the 90's?

nineties2.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Willy105 said:
What about Sonic 3 being the best in the series offends you? Do you not agree?

"Wow! Mario is so SLOW! Sonic is FAST!"

1991 TV commercials taught me everything I need to know about video games.

AniHawk said:
Were you alive in the 90s? Sonic became irrelevant after DKC hit.

And DKC became irrelevant when people realised beneath that soulless high resolution shit was slow-ass gameplay from hell. Hence why in retrospectives DKC is poorly reviewed (without a fanbase left to give a damn) whilst a new Sonic game creates a 250 page thread.

I can do this all night bro. Your move Drago.

141282_std.jpg

WillyFive

Kaijima said:
"Wow! Mario is so SLOW! Sonic is FAST!"

1991 TV commercials taught me everything I need to know about video games.

But we aren't talking about commercials, we are talking about critical reception.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yoshi's Island is better than any Sonic game anyways. Heck, it's the best game across any of the 16/32 bit consoles.

DKC2 is also great. If you deny that you have bad taste.

joetachi

Leviathan1 said:
And DKC became irrelevant when people realised beneath that soulless high resolution shit was slow-ass gameplay from hell. Hence why in retrospectives DKC is poorly reviewed (without a fanbase left to give a damn) whilst a new Sonic game creates a 250 page thread.

141282_std.jpg
Your talking like Sonic games are still relevant

AniHawk

Leviathan1 said:

I can do this all night bro. Your move Creed.

Sonic games get 250 page threads because your settings aren't on correctly.

Also, Sonic games get 250 page threads only because the game looks like it's taking a giant shit on what the shrunken, crazy fanbase liked or expected from a proper numerical sequel. When the game doesn't look like the worst thing ever, it tends to be relatively calm (see this thread).

You originally made this about Nintendo platformers versus Sega platformers, and their levels of success. Saleswise, Sonic didn't matter anymore after DKC stole the spotlight and Sega bungled the Saturn (may it rest in peace). Quality-wise, Sonic didn't matter anymore after DKC stole the spotlight because Sega stopped making them at such a high quality.

There was a brief time in the 90s, between 1992 and the end of 1994 when Sega was on top, and Sonic was very popular, especially in Europe, but it essentially was a fad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
Sonic games get 250 page threads because your settings aren't on correctly.

Also, Sonic games get 250 page threads only because the game looks like it's taking a giant shit on what the shrunken, crazy fanbase liked or expected from a proper numerical sequel. When the game doesn't look like the worst thing ever, it tends to be relatively calm (see this thread).

You originally made this about Nintendo platformers versus Sega platformers, and their levels of success. Saleswise, Sonic didn't matter anymore after DKC stole the spotlight and Sega bungled the Saturn (may it rest in peace). Quality-wise, Sonic didn't matter anymore after DKC stole the spotlight because Sega stopped making them at such a high quality.

There was a brief time in the 90s, between 1992 and the end of 1994 when Sega was on top, and Sonic was very popular, especially in Europe, but it essentially was a fad.

You say fad, I say cult.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Loving the 90's throwback with this discussion and the Street Fighter versus Mortal Kombat thread.

goldenpp72

Leviathan1 said:

141282_std.jpg

Fool, sonic was awesome but DKC shat all over them in terms of meat, graphics and music, those games are fucking awesome.

1.jpg

vlcsnap192221.png

TOO. MANY. NINTENDO FANS.

Okay now it's four against one. Fuck that. If we're going into pedantics the original argument was Sonic versus Mario (which I won when I destroyed you with the reviews and sales stats). Having lost you guys pulled in DKC which pretty much just shows how much I owned you.

For fuck's sake the last time I had an "Internet argument" was in 2001. Alright I'm out. When the other Sega fans come in here you guys are in big trouble. :lol

AniHawk

Leviathan1 said:
Sonic versus Mario (which I won when I destroyed you with the reviews and sales stats).

I don't remember seeing any sales stats.

Also, using two reviews to prove a general consensus isn't a very solid way to prove a general consensus.

joetachi

Leviathan1 said:
For fuck's sake the last time I had an "Internet argument" was in 2001. Alright I'm out. When the other Sega fans come in here you guys are in big trouble. :lol
So your giving up like SEGA.

AniHawk

Leviathan1 said:
My favourite games company gave me this:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Your favourite games company gave you this:

SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

We were talking about platformers, so fixed.

And regardless, the slew of casual games never reached the pits of hell that the shittiest Sega games have spawned from this last decade.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Leviathan1 said:

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/1/19430-98121-Gumbmp-468x.jpg[IMG]

Your favourite games company ditched you for this:

[IMG]http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/seniors_thumb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVNsfF21DE"]Let's not get into who gave who what.[/URL]

Edit- Beaten by Ani.

Well one of my favorite games company (Sega) is making a potentially great game (Sonic Colors) on one of my other favorite games company's (Nintendo) console (Wii).

Why are you all fighting? Can't people have their own preferences? Can't we just talk about what looks to be a great game?

Fuu

Hero of Legend said:
Well one of my favorite games company (Sega) is making a potentially great game (Sonic Colors) on one of my other favorite games company's (Nintendo) console (Wii).

Why are you all fighting? Can't people have their own preferences? Can't we just talk about what looks to be a great game?
Preposterous. It has to be as great as Sonic deserves and better than Mario.

Leviathan1 said:
Fuck I just derailed the thread into a 16 bit console war. Fuck it:

Super Mario World (SNES): 96.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)
Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN): 90.17% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

You know what dude you're right. Mario was reviewed better than Sonic.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN): 91.88% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oh wait. We're getting closer. Looks like Sonic 2 was a little better. Still no Mario though.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN): 97.50% (Review average: Gamerankings/Metacritic)

Oooh. Ice burn from Ice Cap Zone! Sonic 3 is reviewed better than motherfucking Mario. Why? Because it was a better game (and for the record: combined Sonic > combined Mario in sales in the Genesis/SNES era).

Sonic wins on both fronts! Seriously when Sonic came out shooting round the screen at mach speed Mario looked years out of date. Sonic was a revolution (at the time).

I do appreciate that this depends on location (Sega killed Nintendo in Europe) though I put that down to all you Americans being brainwashed by the shitbomb that was the NES.
1) sales don't matter because there are 3 sonic games and 1 mario game (by the way I think mario world outsold all of them even if you included CD and S&K, mainly since it was packaged in with most SNESes)

2) gamerankings doesn't matter because those reviews were written in the early 90s when every magazine were propaganda tools for sega/nintendo and there are also only like two of them

I prefer 2D sonic over 2D mario but come on

goldenpp72

Leviathan1 said:

19430-98121-Gumbmp-468x.jpg

Your favourite games company ditched you for this:

seniors_thumb.jpg

I'm a huge Sega fan, I think the Dreamcast is one of the best consoles ever and have owned all of their platforms (even the 32x and nomad), but as far as i'm concerned, Nintendo at their best (or rare) absolutely was able to trump Sega in the genesis era, and here is why.

Sonic titles all take an hour or 2 to beat, the best sonic title ever crafted was sonic 3 and knuckles which was TWO games in terms of how we had to purchase them.

Streets of rage series, ristar, almost all of segas non rpgs were really short, great games, but short. But when looking at Nintendo when they decided to pump out a first party game it was just simply bigger, badder and more badass, mario world 1 and especially 2 were much longer than any genesis sonic, and in the case of both, totally drastic departures, much better composed music, and more meaty in general. The DKC series is LOADED with shit to do, filled with beautiful music, amazing graphics for the time and yes, the mechanics were excellent.

Just taking a look at any first party nintendo game (star fox, mario, mario kart, etc) or rares efforts with DKC, and you can see they just had a lot more budget and time put into them in comparison, i really don't see how it can even be argued.

Now the dreamcast, that shit was awesome :p

Maron

Andrex said:
And it's not something they show in demos, either. For all we know there could be 3 hours of cutscenes in this thing that make the opening music seem like
oh blast what's a band kids consider good these days...
Madonna.

Actually they said this game will have a much lower focus on cutscenes and that they won't be long like past games. I have no problem with them though...I don't even remember Rush having cutscenes at all. If you're bothered by that low amount of cutscenes, you'll probably be very frustrated with Colors I guess.

Fuu

We were just chilling for a while with quickstep and drifting news but then posts #505 and #543 changed everything... everything!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
This thread actually did kinda have a good run, considering its subject matter...but ya'll lost me.

Leviathan1 said:
vlcsnap192221.png

TOO. MANY. NINTENDO FANS.

Okay now it's four against one. Fuck that. If we're going into pedantics the original argument was Sonic versus Mario (which I won when I destroyed you with the reviews and sales stats). Having lost you guys pulled in DKC which pretty much just shows how much I owned you.

I am a huge Sega and Sonic fan... you are still insane.

what ion the holy mother of fuck is going on here? I felt my nonsenso meter going off when my mouse hove over this thread, now its completely broken upon clicking the link.

RobbieNick

geeko420 said:
Deciding whether you like a game or not made on alpha/beta footage and gameplay always amazes me. It's cool to voice your opinion on a game, but to push that opinion upon everyone else as a fact seems pretentious.

LOL Go see the Sonic 4 thread.:lol

Sciz

I didn't want to get into this, but I can't let a couple of these claims stand.

goldenpp72 said:
Sonic titles all take an hour or 2 to beat, the best sonic title ever crafted was sonic 3 and knuckles which was TWO games in terms of how we had to purchase them.

Streets of rage series, ristar, almost all of segas non rpgs were really short, great games, but short.

Just taking a look at any first party nintendo game (star fox, mario, mario kart, etc) or rares efforts with DKC, and you can see they just had a lot more budget and time put into them in comparison, i really don't see how it can even be argued.
Sega's entire design philosophy was centered around making short, fast games. The Genesis hardware itself is a testament to that. They were an arcade company, they made short, wildly replayable games. When Nintendo does dip into arcadey games like Star Fox and F-Zero and Punch-Out, they're pretty short too. But for the most part Nintendo's expertise isn't in that sort of game, so they made longer, slower-paced games (and again, the hardware design reflects this).

You can't just draw direct comparisons between them like that.

goldenpp72 said:
much better composed music
Fightin' words.

Also, I really hope the people praising DKC are basing it primarily on 2 and 3. The first one is just plain painful to go through, and I'm not sure how Nintendo ever let it get out the door.

Also, Colors looks pretty damn good. I like the old pinball physics as much as anyone else, but the series does have a few other fun tricks these days.

Top Bottom