• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Hero of Legend said:
But like I said, I don't recall if critics preferred the Wii or HD day stages, maybe the fact the Wii version was more commonly the higher-rated one points to the Wii day stages actually being preferred? Wasn't the Werehog seen as worse on Wii? Particularly due to the controls (which I myself found to be okay, and I only used the Wiimote + Nunchuck setup)?

I like the Werehog stages much better in the Wii version, but don't play with Remote+Nunchuk, they require very unnecessary motion controls. Just play with a Classic Controller.

Interestingly, playing Sonic with a CC gives you a slightly different control scheme than if you play with a GC controller, and I actually prefer the CC one.

The HD Day stages are probably better, but I liked some things about the Wii version too. I just wish it didn't run so dry on Day content so fast. There are stretches of the games where you play tons of Werehog levels, then one main Sonic stage, maybe a objective-based version of that stage, then back to Werehog.

Could you tell us a bit about the story behind Sonic Colours? It looks more like the old games, which were set on Moebius, than the new-style Sonics set in Station Square...

So... much... derp...

We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side.

This is also der- wait, Iizuka said it?
190925-son1_18_super.gif

Pray tell, who lived in these buildings? The six inch tall animals? Did Eggman just build them so he could move around from night to night, never staying in one place for too long?

GoldandBlue said:
Questioning little minor details like this is what makes people think Sonic fans are nuts.

Bullshit. It's not a little detail. It's the old "Humans were never in the old Sonic games" argument I've gotten sick of, I'm just shocked Iizuka of all people basically said something to that effect. It's one more sign among plenty he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Kulock said:
Bullshit. It's not a little detail. It's the old "Humans were never in the old Sonic games" argument I've gotten sick of, I'm just shocked Iizuka of all people basically said something to that effect. It's one more sign among plenty he really doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah, I find gold coins every time I jump head first into a block.

DeVeAn

I never once care or thought about those buildings in that zone. Another reason why the Sonic fan base is so screwed up.

Kulock said:
Wow. :lol I don't see why this is in the least bit that big of a deal. Like I said, I think it's stuff like this that make people think Sonic fans are nuts.

Teknoman

This is why games like Sonic and Mario shouldnt explain too much about their universe. Just add new parts that make sense in the series context and go with that.

Oh give me a break. I was pointing out something I feel he fucked up, and it's not like most people have a lot of confidence in Iizuka's grasp of the series as it is. Why don't you post OMG Meltdown next, that'll be clever.

DeVeAn said:
I never once care or thought about those buildings in that zone. Another reason why the Sonic fan base is so screwed up.
I ripped the frames and posted that avatar you're using by the way, the one you stole from Huelen who actually asked to use it. I know because it animates too slowly. So, way to be an ass to the person that did you a favor.

Teknoman said:
This is why games like Sonic and Mario shouldnt explain too much about their universe. Just add new parts that make sense in the series context and go with that.
I'm actually ok with this. It's the divying up Sonic games into "human" and "non-human" worlds that's weird to me, for one of the reasons above. I'm definitely ok with not seeing the humans, but the old games had at least hints they were there (and some Japanese materials that flat-out said there were).

Teknoman

Kulock said:
I'm actually ok with this. It's the divying up Sonic games into "human" and "non-human" worlds that's weird to me, for one of the reasons above. I'm definitely ok with not seeing the humans, but the old games had at least hints they were there (and some Japanese materials that flat-out said there were).

I think its because people are wary of having Sonic 06 style quests or Sonic Unleashed style city/hubs whenever they hear about Sonic universe humans other than Robotnik. Really he probably just means that all the games take place in the same universe...just some will have humans prominently featured while others not so much.

Also say what you will, never wondering about the buildings in Sonic games, but im sure its crossed your mind at least once when running through even Spring Yard zone :lol

Teknoman said:
I think its because people are wary of having Sonic 06 style quests or Sonic Unleashed style city/hubs whenever they hear about Sonic universe humans other than Robotnik. Really he probably just means that all the games take place in the same universe...just some will have humans prominently featured while others not so much.

I wondered about that, there is a good chance that the translation chewed it up a bit, or that he was trying to simplify his explanation. Still, unless there's something more like the Adventure games in the works for the anniversary next year, it's kind of odd to insist on categorizing the titles now, unless he just wanted an easy way to separate perception from the prior 3D games.

http://www.wikiupload.com/28ZUlHQy

I ripped direct-feed voice clips of Roger as Sonic (all are from Alton Towers apparently but there's like a couple I haven't heard. :p) from AAUK's Radio Redux show from this season, there's five in total I was able to find. Two were from a single episode, the others each are from a different one. There's were all near the beginning.

A definite improvement, apparently there was a lot of editing with the clips for the park showings, so that's why these sounded so bad there.

The levels in the original Sonic games were made to be fun to play and appealing to the eye. There's nothing to read into.

You can't analyse things that never had any underlying meaning, and say you're not being obsessive.

TheOGB

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
http://www.wikiupload.com/28ZUlHQy

I ripped direct-feed voice clips of Roger as Sonic (all are from Alton Towers apparently but there's like a couple I haven't heard. :p) from AAUK's Radio Redux show from this season, there's five in total I was able to find. Two were from a single episode, the others each are from a different one. There's were all near the beginning.

A definite improvement, apparently there was a lot of editing with the clips for the park showings, so that's why these sounded so bad there.
Oh my fucking god it's Jaleel White :lol

Scribble said:
Those buildings don't look like humans to me.

And that doesn't look witty to me. So I think we're even.

Don't worry SonicGAF, I've learned my lesson about trying to discuss the details of an unpopular series. Nevermind the tiniest of "revelations" in the Cloudbush thread, here I'm dubbed obsessive to point out the level art. I just thought it was a strange thing for Iizuka to say, and I felt I had justification.

On a more topical note, I don't think this video has been posted yet. It's a German preview of the Wii version with direct-feed footage.

IrishNinja

wait, no, i'm curious: if you find it odd that Robotnik was the only human in the classic sonic games, how do you feel about Peach in the mushroom kingdom? did Bowser/Wart/etc build all those places & plant all those veggies just to have goombas perpetually walk off the cliffs?

WillyFive

IrishNinja said:
wait, no, i'm curious: if you find it odd that Robotnik was the only human in the classic sonic games, how do you feel about Peach in the mushroom kingdom? did Bowser/Wart/etc build all those places & plant all those veggies just to have goombas perpetually walk off the cliffs?

Except Mario games don't try to make a serious storyline of it. Sonic did.

Heck, the Mario RPG's were comedies that parodied gaming logic in general.

IrishNinja

ok, which brings me to: at what point do you feel Sonic games were going for a serious storyline? i'm not taking the piss here; i beat 1-3, knuckles, CD etc, and they were cool but at no point serious. if you mean the setting...someone's gonna post Carnival Night Zone here, i figure.

WillyFive

You'd think this would be more popular, since it's a Sonic game that looks good.

But no, the Sonic community is run on hate. :lol

We just riding the Sonic Cycle.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Willy105 said:
You'd think this would be more popular, since it's a Sonic game that looks good.

But no, the Sonic community is run on hate. :lol

We just riding the Sonic Cycle.
Actually I think Colora is still on stage one. I have yet to see widespread backlash unlike Sonic 4 (although I see less for this one as of the new version, but it seems more people are wary of 4)

WillyFive

ILikeFeet said:
Actually I think Colora is still on stage one. I have yet to see widespread backlash unlike Sonic 4 (although I see less for this one as of the new version, but it seems more people are wary of 4)

I guess it's the name to blame.

Sounds like Mario Paint.

Green Wisp sounds like they made the light speed dash as a temp power-up. Hopefully this means they won't be relying on it too much in level design.

Posted by TimmiT at TSS and Sonic Retro:

Hey guys.
I was at Gamescom.
And I played this game.
Sweet Mountain act 2 and Planet Wisp act 1 and 2.
It's awesome. (and better than Sonic 4 IMO, which I also played)
You no longer drift by tilting the nunchuck, you now have to press B to drift. I think the boost was disabled in the parts where you had to drift, but I'm not sure.
I think I might have skipped part of act 2 by using the rocket wisp at some place, or it could have been an alternate route.
The title screen is awesome. It shows Sonic running alongside all the wisps, and you can rotate the camera around him.
Also, I think I may have been filmed while playing Sweet Mountain act 2.

M. Bison: YES!!!

Davey Cakes

ILikeFeet said:
I'm much more excited for this than Sonic 4 :D
I can understand why. If anything, Sonic 4 is a red herring for which Sonic game people should be looking forward to.

The idea of the new 3D Sonic being better than the new 2D one is far fetched to a lot of people, but it could end up being true in the end.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Rash said:
I can understand why. If anything, Sonic 4 is a red herring for which Sonic game people should be looking forward to.

The idea of the new 3D Sonic being better than the new 2D one is far fetched to a lot of people, but it could end up being true in the end.

if Colors is criticly better than 4, I will LOL till the sun goes now :lol

.la1n

ILikeFeet said:

the 3D sonics created the sonic cycle so of course you are going to see denial, acceptance, then pain. This whole fancy smancy Sonic 4 thing is alien to us, it needs it's own cycle and that cycle is apparently full of torment and pain.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:

Best frigging news ever.

But seriously who was the dummy that made that decision in the first place?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

TimmiT

Hero of Legend said:

Oh hi.
A couple of more details:
- You can only use the quickstep when you're told to use the quickstep.
- It looks like it could take some effort to get a S rank. I played through the stages normally, and I got a C or B rank
- Act 1 of Planet Wisp begins on a field of flowers or grass (don't remember which one) and you eventually come across Eggman's machines. I remember there being a grind sequence where you had to switch rails.
- Act 2 takes place on this tower:
sonic-colors-20100817022124256_640w.jpg

And screw the Sonic Cycle, this game is the best Sonic game since the Genesis days.

Also, Sega officially revealed the Green Wisp, with a couple of new screenshots: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/20/sonic-colors-go-green-with-the-green-wisp-in-sonic-colors/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hero of Legend said:

You no longer drift by tilting the nunchuck, you now have to press B to drift. I think the boost was disabled in the parts where you had to drift, but I'm not sure.
Jesus Christ, yes.

.la1n

You can dress crap up all you want but at the end of the day it's still crap. You can quote me on that too because I know this game will be nothing but.

Penguin

.la1n said:
You can dress crap up all you want but at the end of the day it's still crap. You can quote me on that too because I know this game will be nothing but.

Right now Sega hasn't shown anything that would make this game look horrible.

I hope they do it soon so I can stop being interested in it!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
.la1n said:
I liked Unleashed and apparently it's crap too so it's cool!

Top Bottom