• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Green Hill Gameplay

Needs more EDGE

tumblr_ooxwlmRjC11vjuh1lo1_1280.png

I'd play that tbh

Honestly it looks exactly like Sonic Generations but I don't care since I'll buy it anyway.

Sonic, Mario and Zelda have a hypnosis over us 90s gamers, no matter how many times they release the same game we'll still keep coming back because.....

childhood.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just don't understand why classic sonic or his gameplay is even here? What was sonic mania for if you weren't going to commit to one style for the other game

I was wondering that myself. Just stick to the modern one and make it as good as you can, because you are never going to make everyone happy with the other. It just gives the game an air of "You don't like it? How about this? No? Well shit".

LordKasual

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that if most players' experiences of the game are having to switch characters and having to stop and fight enemies in order to proceed, then that is the intended design decisions that Sonic Team saw fit, that is how they intended players to play through the game. If they didn't, then the designers clearly screwed up, because the emphasis of teamwork mechanics --through both the gameplay mechanics and level design-- is clearly the main focus of the game's design.

"Good players" bypassing all of the stuff with the "momentum" examples you've presented reads less like something actually designed as part of Heroes' core gameplay mechanics that the developer wanted players to utilize; and more akin to glitches / exploits or unintended / overlooked design choices players can exploit to speedrun through levels. They are arguably a result of the game's existing design, but not an intention by the game designers.

The notion that Sonic Team specifically designed Heroes' levels so that boss encounters and entire setpieces can be skipped entirely with switching characters / timed jumps / momentum I find to be really questionable, because it brings up the question of why would the studio would even spend their resources designing and implementing said boss encounters and setpieces in the game in the first place.

That's the thing though -- even in that speedrun video, the player didn't do anything special regarding switch mechanics or fighting enemies...he was just good at it.

There were no glitches to deal extra damage, no special way to bypass their mechanics. He's just killing them. Nothing about the teamwork aspect is sacrificed in this instance, and all of the little movement techniques involve using your teammates and your momentum, and all the stage gimmicks that REQUIRE you to use them are still present. The only difference seems to be that most people didn't realize it was possible.

Whether or not Sonic Team intended for the game to be played that way...is completely moot, if he's doing everything a normal player could do. Switching characters inbetween actions isn't a glitch, and abusing momentum isn't an exploit in Heroes anymore than it is in any other sonic game. The level design of Heroes just gives you more opportunities, and since the levels are longer, the reward is greater.

Just because most people didn't play the game that way doesn't delegitimize it. I personally can't destroy those levels as fast as he can, but i've long since realized just how much time you can cut from the levels just by thinking outside the box, and very few of the methods are glitches. And even in places where you're forced to sit and fight the enemies with shield mechanics / big health meters....you can always just team attack them if you have it saved up, and at Lv3 Knuckles pretty much 2-shots everything in the game anyway.

Honestly, the mechanics of the game had the majority of the bitching of Heroes covered, and you didn't have to be a speedrunner to do it. I just think the game did itself a HUGE disservice by seemingly telling you when you should be using your teammates instead of letting the player figure it out by themselves. The game added a bit of technicality to the formula, and unfortunately it just didn't mesh with the fans i guess.

I feel like you're more describing an idealization of Sonic Heroes instead of the game we actually got.

I mean, sure, the game allows for that stuff, but that is blocked off to the vast majority of the players because the controls were so awful. It's pretty much a constant struggle throughout the whole game to not fly off at any given instant. Sometimes you rocket forward after landing for no good reason. The pinball physics are completely busted. Rail switching is not reliable. And don't even get me started on the special stages.

I say this as someone who replays Sonic Heroes from time to time. There's something there but it's completely mired by all the problems with having your characters do what you actually want them to.

Well what i'm talking about is definitely meta-play. But I don't think that makes it an "idealization" anymore than, say, SSBM being a competitive game is an idealization. But the concept of forward momentum definitely seems to be ingrained in the actual game design itself, as it was already a key design choice in Sonic Adventure 2, with its introduction of the score combo system, rails and changed mechanics designed to make the game flow better.

From a design standpoint, I think the thing about Heroes is that there's no clear indication that the game intended for you to approach it in all the ways that you can....but the fact that you can (and consistently can) is the reason it's my favorite 3D Sonic game when it comes to replay value. And as for the physics....Heroes' engine was SIGNIIIIIIIFICANTLY more stable than the SA1/SA2 one, which would go haywire if you so much as let go of the analog stick on a slope.

The only thing that really bothered me was how dangerous it was to slow down in Heroes...but there are so many ways to avoid that pitfall (jumping, switching to tails on landing) that it's never really been an issue to me.

Dario ff

Banned
The lighting looks a lot better on the screenshots than the video. You can actually see the details on the bricks, while on the video they look really flat. (And the ring placement is different)

aAE3WLh.jpg

AMRhBOI.jpg

Music is bad and sounds Sonic 4-level of synth.

Also, don't like the way the robots explode. Seems to focus on rather than focusing on the flow of the game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
From a design standpoint, this looks way better than Green Hill in Generations. But I'm confused what this game is supposed to be because Sega's communication and marketing is terrible.

- If they must use Green Hill again, why in the world would they use generic and boring new music rather than a brand new remix?

- Why are we even seeing this at all? I thought this wasn't supposed to be another Generations and was instead the two Sonics coming together in a post-apocalyptic world?

- Is Sonic Team physically unable to program correct physics for classic Sonic or do they refuse to, stubbornly thinking they can do something better? It clearly isn't the classic physics.

- Enough with pushing the player through the stage automatically. That isn't what "classic" Sonic is supposed to be. If you run into a spring, you should stop like a wall and then jump on it if you want. And no hidden springs at the bottom of every damn ledge.

I do have one theory: perhaps this is an introduction stage for classic Sonic where we see Green Hill invaded of "destroyed" in Act 2, which pulls him into whatever world modern Sonic is?

WillyFive

Game looks a bit more lower budget than Generations. Graphics aren't as good, animations aren't as good, no orchestra music....

I thought this was going to be a 3D Sonic Adventure style game. No?

How Sonic Team keeps tacking on these 2D sections on these 3D Sonic games is my biggest beef with them over the past few years.

Mman235

The lighting looks a lot better on the screenshots than the video. You can actually see the details on the bricks, while on the video they look really flat. (And the ring placement is different)

aAE3WLh.jpg

AMRhBOI.jpg

Wow, even taking shitty video quality into account the bottom picture is far better. It's like there's something wrong with the video beyond recording quality (like using an older version of the game), or the bottom picture is one hell of bullshot.

Eh, that was fine, I guess? I like the way the grass actually moves with the wind, that's a nice touch. Other than that, I don't know how anyone can really be excited for this when Sonic Mania exists.

PKrockin

It seems to have the Sonic Generations physics, so I'm not interested. The biggest reason Sonic 3&K is one of my favorite platformers is the pinball physics. I can't explain how much more fun it is to play a Sonic whose jumps send him perpendicular away from the surface of the slope than a Sonic who always jumps straight up, for example. It adds so much potential for experimentation.

They did that with Lost World. People complained because it had a learning curve.

You can do some insane stuff provided you have a wall to work with. Really fun to mess around in that game.
And even then lost world still had that grid feeling to it.
The most interesting thing I've seen out of 3D Sonic in the last 15 years has been a fan project, Sonic Utopia. Big rolling Sonic CD intro looking spaces, momentum based physics, free form locomotion, fully controllable ramp/speed sections, spin dash and super peel out, etc.

I know there's a part of the fanbase in love with the boost gameplay and the whole obstacle course racer thing they've been doing for a while now, but Sonic Utopia is what I was dreaming about in the 90s. I'd love to see a fully fleshed out version of this.
Seriously that and that old GDK demo are the only thing I see that can be fresh. Give sonic some room to move and do whatever he wants. All this locked in gameplay is so old feeling to me. Its tried and true but we done played it already. Give sonic like 20 stages the size of breath of the wild and let him run wild.

RowdyReverb

Well, the physics look right at least, and it looks like it has branching paths. The music is grating though. Still better than 4

Yukinari

The youtube comments are always so predictable.

"Am i the ONLY one who likes the music?" "Man Sonic fans are impossible to please"

Yeah its really hard to make good sounding music and have a fresh new level idea for a sonic game.

I wonder what other game is doing that right now. https://youtu.be/_l6JNagt4AY

brad-t

Sonic Team makes games in response to fan feedback in the same way Nintendo made Breath of the Wild as a response to fan feedback about Skyward Sword. Communication is a two-way street; a developer is blind to the desires of their fans and thus can't design a game around any of it until their fans actually tell them what they want. Otherwise, Breath of the Wild as we know it would not have existed. Subsequently, Colors and Gens are in part the result fan feedback- shitty fan feedback, but feedback nonetheless.

True, it's not all the fans' fault these games are kind of middle of the road. But since everyone blew a load over "middle of the road" game design, I don't give them a pass either.

You came so close to stating the actual truth here. Communication is a two-way street, indeed: in this case, the audience gives feedback and the creator interprets it. The difference between Breath of the Wild and Sonic isn't in the quality of the feedback; it's in the skills of those interpreting that feedback and developing a quality solution. That's on the developer, not the players.

Blueblur1

I don't know if anyone has said exactly this way but it's clear the 2D Sonic in Sonic Forces controls exactly like the character did in Sonic 4. I cannot fathom how Sega decided that would be a good idea when they actually distanced themselves from that blunder with 2D Sonic's control and gameplay in Sonic Generations.

The stage and gameplay look fine to me.

But I'll echo everyone else's sentiments.

Retire Classic Sonic already, the classic die-hards have Mania already. Let 3D Sonic fucking be 3D.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sonic Mania is far more compelling to me.

This just looks like weird mishmash of things.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I never thought I'd be asking this, but...what happened to the post apocalyptic setting that was supposed to be in this game?

Kinsei

Banned
The music is really good.

Can we please stop remaking Green Hill? It's really time to move on.

I never thought I'd be asking this, but...what happened to the post apocalyptic setting that was supposed to be in this game?

This is most likely the first level. I imagine it takes place before things get totally messed up just like the first level in Generations.

Oblivion

Also, people like Sonic Generations now?

I guess this is part of the Sonic Cycle as well.

BaconHat

Also, people like Sonic Generations now?

I guess this is part of the Sonic Cycle as well.

Sonic Generations was hated?

Everyone i talked to that played the game seems to range from indifferent to loved it. I did not know it was hated.

On-topic, the music is really bad. At least the game-play seem really good.

Oblivion

Now? It's been well received since it was released.

Sonic Generations was hated?

Everyone i talked to that played the game seems to range from indifferent to loved it. I did not know it was hated.

On-topic, the music is really bad. At least the game-play seem really good.

Uh...I was here when it was both unveiled and released. People hated it (well, at least those stupid werehog levels anyway).

Kinsei

Banned
Uh...I was here when it was both unveiled and released. People hated it (well, at least those stupid werehog levels anyway).

You're confusing Sonic Generations (The game with Classic and Modern Sonic) with Sonic Unleashed (The game with the Werehog).

Oblivion

Okay, saw the video this time with sound.

Man, that music SUCKS.

Also, there's something really off about the way Sonic runs and jumps. The jumping in particular when he does so on flying enemies, he doesn't appear to bounce of them but goes right through? What's up with that?

Sami+

aAE3WLh.jpg

AMRhBOI.jpg

What the hell is going on with this game's marketing? Why do they keep showing old shit?

Bottom looks pretty aight.

Looks great and classic Sonic . Don't why people harp on about Greenhill Zone myself, but hey it's ok for Yakuza to take place in the same place game after game, just not Sonic . I forget it's so cool to knock Sonic

Gardenjam

Neo Member
The music sounds absolutely horrific! Which is a shame because the music has been the only consistently good thing in the recent sonic games (i.m.o)...hopefully the rest is better.

Zalman

It feels like Sonic Team still has no idea what to do with this franchise. Generations is six years old and this video is exactly that but with worse music. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for E3, but I'm not sure what to think of this right now.

Vidiot

Even though he's not needed because Mania I don't mind classic Sonic returning. I just hope modern Sonic stays 3d in his gameplay for the most part.

The game doesn't look like it plays anywhere near as true to the classics as Mania but it could still be okay I guess. Music is truly awful though.

Top Bottom