• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic with remastered soundtrack, time attack, widescreen announced for iOS/Android

TimmiT

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/03/gdc-2013-sonic-1-remastered-and-more-headed-to-mobile-devices/

This is not just another re-release. It looks like Christian Whitehead, who did the Sonic CD 2011 version may be working on this. It includes a remastered soundtrack, a time attack mode, widescreen and everything runs at a full 60 fps.

EDIT: Also, this comes from a GDC press even where SEGA announced a bunch of iOS/Android stuff. Could be that they just haven't announced the console/PC versions yet.

EDIT 2: Taxman and Stealth from Sonic Retro are confirmed to be working on this.

Drago

Why no home release

Why why why why
Still, I'll buy this for Android. Just, release it on PSN or something too please :(

oh my lord!
DML2mi1.png

TimmiT

Oh, forgot to mention this: SEGA announced a bunch of iOS/Android stuff. Could be that they just didn't announce the console/PC versions yet.

NotLiquid

Remastered soundtrack?

Since this is another partially fan made affair I'd be giddy if Falk would be responsible for it. He seems incredibly involved with the scene as of late.

only questions here from me is all this effort to make / rebuild an awesome sonic 1 version but only apply widescreen, new music and a time attack mode? unless there is more to come I would have thought some other things could be implanted, maybe it will save progress too being that it is on mobile.

It would be awesome if there was a toggle to show new art assets or something, thought it would end up being modern green eye sonic's sonic 4 model, ick.

I've never understood why the modern console versions of the classic sonic's aren't from the Jam collection instead of their original versions.

but that seems odd for a mobile release, i can't see that being very fun to play. I'm interested in the remixed soundtrack though.

Drago

Speaking of Sonic Jam, will this rerelease have a spindash option?

I would love to play Sonic 1 with spindash. I think only the Jam version and the crap GBA port had that feature.

Roto13

Dunno about phones, but the PS3 port of Sonic CD was really great. Couldn't have asked for a better one, really.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, where's the Sonic that was supposed to be announced last month?
That stream was for a 24h Puyo Puyo event. Sonic was not the main event of that stream. Would've been kinda bleh if they announced a new game on that stream, tbh. Poor rumour.

They usually announce stuff in Feb-April. Patience.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
No PC? But Sonic CD got released for pc!
I think it'll happen eventually. The wrinkle is that they already have "lazy" emulated versions of Sonic 1, 2 and 3+K on Steam at $4.99 each, which is the same price as Sonic CD even with all the latter's enhancements.

Those will have to disappear or be massively price cut...or maybe the new version will just be $10.

Ramune

I remember Taxman's efforts on Sonic Retro and Sonic CD 2011 was a must buy for me, so this one sounds to be solid as well! Just...can they also port these things to the Vita? iPhone, while it controls well, isn't my ideal portable Sonic CD situation ya know?

I can see it taking the elements of Sonic Jam as a base though. Remastered music sounds interesting! Though I always wanted to see a "what if" scenario kinda like what M2 did for Fantasy Zone II in the Fantasy Zone Sega Ages and make Sonic a System-16 game. The original game always did feel more arcade like to me than the others.

dani_dc

I really do hope they release it on other platforms, I'm not a big fan of playing this type of games with virtual controls.

CDX

iOS/Android only?

Sonic CD was multiplatform ....I didn't really like the touchscreen versions

I'd like widescreen versions of all the Sega Genesis Sonic games on the Wii U, including Sonic CD too. Buttons + Off TV Play

I guess if you can play it on the Ouya with the controller that'd be OK

TimmiT

It's confirmed that Taxman and Stealth from Sonic Retro are working on these new versions:
Oh wow, I didn't realize this was already announced haha.

SEGA asked me not too long ago to go back and revamp the mobile versions of Sonic 1&2. No more emulation, these are Retro-Engine remakes.

"We've already played Sonic 1 a million times!"

I know, so have I :p But this is more about bringing the other games into line with Sonic CD (iOS will get these as an update to the existing version). I can't mention specifics, but there will be the usual improvements and (non-sexual!) fan service

I'd like to also take this opportunity to mention Simon Thomley (Aka Stealth) has been working with me on this project. With our combined experience and different styles of "porting", this should be even more accurate than what I did alone with Sonic CD.
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&view=findpost&p=736332

As for the remastered music:
To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&view=findpost&p=736345

Come on Sega, 3&K... you know you want to...

Hopefully there's a definitive Sonic 3 & Knuckles (to follow a Sonic 2). All in the Sonic CD port fashion but with even more extras and features (remastered soundtrack, etc). S3&K deserves a huge release to itself with that kind of effort.

For next gen consoles, Vita, and Windows Phone. Not just iOS/Android.

Ferr986

Speaking of Sonic Jam, will this rerelease have a spindash option?

i woul bet it will have it.

It may have an option to remove the speedcap too, ala Sonic 2.

Taxman said it will have the usual enhancements and something more.

If we can get remasters of S2 and S3+K I'd honestly buy a compilation disc with all 4 on it.

widescreen S3+K + remastered music + leaderboards/achievements would be godly beyond belief. That game holds up so amazingly well.

I wonder if they could actually get Knuckles in Sonic 1 after all these years. iirc they wanted to do it originally, but there were technical issues.

Yeah, playable Tails at least should be in there. They added him to CD and that kinda broke the game, so they'll add him to this.

It'd be neat if Taxman got his engine running on 3DS too- that'd be a good place to have these games.

Yeah, playable Tails at least should be in there. They added him to CD and that kinda broke the game, so they'll add him to this.

It'd be neat if Taxman got his engine running on 3DS too- that'd be a good place to have these games.

It broke the game, but it's not like it mattered, you couldn't get achievements or anything with Tails, so it was purely a "for fun" mode.

Knuckles and Tails would be great additions. As would playable Metal Sonic, but that's not happening lol.

Murrah

Banned
Was the iOS version of Sonic CD really that good? I have it on Steam but never checked it out since I played the GameCube version a billion times, but I'd triple dip on my iPad if it's cool

It broke the game, but it's not like it mattered, you couldn't get achievements or anything with Tails, so it was purely a "for fun" mode.

Knuckles and Tails would be great additions. As would playable Metal Sonic, but that's not happening lol.

Yeah, I wasn't complaining. I loved using Tails!

Ferr986

Was the iOS version of Sonic CD really that good? I have it on Steam but never checked it out since I played the GameCube version a billion times, but I'd triple dip on my iPad if it's cool

yes. Smooth 60 fps (unlike the GC version) 1:1 graphics (without the weird water of the GC ver.) with native widescreen, playable Tails, extra control options (S2 spindash), soundtrack selector, and some nice little touches coming from the betas (music loop files, restored Sonic monitor in the background of Q Q G.F....)

Valnen

There better be a toggle for the remastered music.

oh, and a console version. Pfft touch controls.

Since it's on Android it might have controller support. Get a gameklip (or make one yourself) and you'll be good to go if you have a PS3 controller.

abasm

Sonic 1 is really...experimental. That was the game where they were figuring things out, so it tends to be more frustrating and punishing.

Top Bottom