• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doubles forecast of annual loss to $6.4bn

Jhriad

Are you fucking kidding me? Who would buy that? It's no wonder the sony brand is failing.

I would consider buying it if it didn't look like a cheap piece of shit and it reverted automatically to a tasteful watch face when not in use.

171010-CES-Sony-SmartWatch-7.jpg

That thing is just fucking ugly.

Lol, I don't know why Sony Electronics do this, they made tons of expensive and completely weird products that has absolutely zero market ( VPT and 7.1 headphones, Rolly,Smart Radio/Oneseg-radio,PSX DVR, Mylo, Bloggie 3D,Aibo,that stupid 3D HD Binoculars..ect) instead of focusing on what people want to buy.

I would have loved an Aibo and *almost* pulled the trigger to buy one but the software he came with didn't support Macs. Their loss.

RiverBed

Banned
Lol, I don't know why Sony Electronics do this, they made tons of expensive and completely weird products that has absolutely zero market ( VPT and 7.1 headphones, Rolly,Smart Radio/Oneseg-radio,PSX DVR, Mylo, Bloggie 3D,Aibo,that stupid 3D HD Binoculars..ect) instead of focusing on what people want to buy.

Because Sony's Japanese R&D labs did NOT communicate with their consumers. No feedback, or anythings. Sony's own divisions didn't even communicate with each other. No division knew anything about what the others were doing. Not even after a product is on shelves and in homes.
But Sony is aware of the problem and has been in Reconstruction for years. Kaz's will be the biggest move. Their TV division is doing so bad that analysts are telling Sony to simply sell it...

I love Sony, and I fear this is the beginning of the end. After all, it is extremely rare for a company to live more than 3 generations.

BARKSTAR

Banned
It's funny how if a company like Sony release these type of products (smart watch, Aibo, Rolly etc) it is a gimmick but if Apple release these types of product it is revolutionary. . .

Mandoric

Banned
But Sony is aware of the problem and has been in Reconstruction for years. Kaz's will be the biggest move. Their TV division is doing so bad that analysts are telling Sony to simply sell it...

Division doing bad: Analysts: "Sell it"
Division doing good: Analysts: "Sell everything else"
Division performing on average: Analysts: "May we suggest a spinoff to improve shareholder value"

Sony's mass TV manufacturing is fucked and they need to hunker down into high-value sets rather than assembling Samsung's sloppy seconds with guys who are pulling in an order of magnitude over Korean factory salaries, but that's definitely a stopped clock/twice a day thing.

Raoh

It's funny how if a company like Sony release these type of products (smart watch, Aibo, Rolly etc) it is a gimmick but if Apple release these types of product it is revolutionary. . .

This. I feel the same way about how people treat sony in gaming.

as for the watches

iWatchz Q Series watchband for iPod nano
H3791
H3791_AV2

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3791ZM/A
http://youtu.be/C-K-piRoT8A

Introducing WIMM, the 1 inch Android wrist computer
http://betanews.com/2011/08/02/introducing-wimm-the-1-inch-android-wrist-computer/
http://youtu.be/iDYGcvLZMiM

7672.jpg

7674.jpg

7675.jpg

view1_with_text.jpg

Fossil MetaWatch – $199
Fossil-Metawatch-225x300.jpg

Sony LiveView – $78
http://youtu.be/KN2qoA0FfHQ

Sony has to do better in a lot of areas but I don't think it matters to people, sony could have the cure for cancer and people will just hate them.

Raoh

lol I'm dying here

EDIT: as for the dumb sony android watch thing, I thought it was dumb when motorola did it.

Sports are a great market for small digital devices. A watch that has Bluetooth for stereo headsets
Jaybird-Freedom-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-544x328px.jpg

Mobile Watch that doubles as a music player (cloud saved songs) and Phone with health apps = WIN...

If your a tablet user, you tend to stop using your phone for a lot of things. ipad beats my iphone for comic books, news etc. My phone can continue to get smaller for all I care.

Not to mention.. we all saw it coming...

2705__320x240_dick_tracy.jpg

Why do you think the iphone arm band became so popular.

armband.jpg

The problem with the armband is the cover can be unresponsive, you may have to pull your iphone out to use it and when entering workout routines this is a headache, etc, much more subtle and convenient to use a wrist watch that is a phone/music player/app device

Only thing is its time to drop the cord and go wireless headphones, no one wants to have a wire from their wrist to their ear, I don't even like the wire with my armband which is why I have bluetooth stereo headsets.

But if your not into activities like working out, running etc, many won't see the need/use until it starts to become more standard as opposed to necessity.

Another overpriced Sony product, Sony Walkman Z. http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...deas-wrapped-in-a-flawed-and-outmoded-device/

Its an android mp3 player, $250 for 8gb (4.6GB usable), no memory expansion.

RIMG_1500_1600x1200_thumb.jpg

The Walkman Z is a device that contradicts itself at every turn. It's beautiful (and I do mean that) and well-built, but it's large and cumbersome and has oddly sharp edges. It runs a relatively stock version of Android 2.3, but charges only via a proprietary cable, and has no expandable storage. It has excellent DSP and equalizer controls, but they only work with Sony's music and movie apps. Its size and shape are perfect for playing games in landscape mode, and yet it's not PlayStation Certified. And while its main market competitor, the iPod Touch, has haptic feedback, front and rear cameras, and an ambient light sensor, the Walkman Z has... well, none of those things. And yet it costs $50 more.

Well, this pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with current Sony electronics. No synergy with existing company products, questionable design choices, unrealistic pricing compared to the competition...as an Android phone owner, how could I possibly recommend this over an iPod touch? How?

Top Bottom