• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
orochi91 said:
UK and Germany had great deals last holiday season, if I recall correctly.
Yes Germany had Slim@199 as early as October - but IIRC most of Europe had similar deals at some point or another last holiday. The point is it showed they had a lot of price flexibility in the Slim even last year, so unless competition drops the ball really badly, it'd be weird not seeing them @199 this year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Amazing how you keep repeating the same comment with absolutely no reasoning.....

I won't believe it until it happens. This generation feels like it started only a little while ago and they supposedly are selling at this rate?

JusDoIt

They'll pass the NES in lifetime sales (62 million) before holiday season, yo. Before the four year mark! Crazy.

Gero

And I'm here debating on whether I should buy another PS4 and another copy of Persona 5 so that my brother won't hog my PS4...

I never imagine myself buying a PS4 so early in its console life, I bought my PS3 when GameStop was having the God of War bundle on Black Friday.

Some Nobody

I won't believe it until it happens. This generation feels like it started only a little while ago and they supposedly are selling at this rate?

That's what growth in the hobby, reasonably priced system, and tons upon tons of great games will do for you. The PS4 > PS3, and soon the sales will reflect that.

And I'm here debating on whether I should buy another PS4 and another copy of Persona 5 so that my brother won't hog my PS4...

I never imagine myself buying a PS4 so early in its console life, I bought my PS3 when GameStop was having the God of War bundle on Black Friday.

Perhaps wait until E3? See if they're planning some sort of bundles. Perhaps a Persona 5 slim bundle... Who knows.

cheesekao

Sony predicting 18m sales when they have a far better lineup this year seems strange. I'm guessing that's because there won't be a hardware revision this year.

Is it still ahead of ps2 launch alligned?

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/857850697135554561
C-eydZfXcAAOz5q.jpg:large

Mooreberg

PS3 was dipping below 100K monthly sales in the US throughout 2007. The price killed that thing for three years. So exceeding the LTD sales on it in under five years is not a huge surprise. Modern console launch lineups are not that exciting with so few games being genuinely exclusive, but $399 and the software the system has gotten is what sells a console these days.

wapplew

Sony predicting 18m sales when they have a far better lineup this year seems strange. I'm guessing that's because there won't be a hardware revision this year.

More competition too, tough year. Still 18m is a lot of units, it will be keep tracking ahead of PS2 if they hit that target.

AmyS

20 APR 2016

SHUHEI YOSHIDA REPORTEDLY UNSURE IF THERE WILL BE A PS5

Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has said that PlayStation boss Shuhei Yoshida has expressed uncertainty as to whether there will be a PlayStation 5.

Lanning made the comments on the Game Informer Show (as spotted by excellently monikered NeoGAF user generic_username), where he said he asked a question about the possible future console ahead of an on-stage interview between the two:

"I said, 'well, what does the PlayStation 5 look like?' and he said 'you mean if'. [...] I said 'are you willing to say that on a stage?' and he said 'yeah, it's an if'."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/shuhei-yoshida-reportedly-unsure-if-there-will-be-a-ps5

Somebody ask Shu again now, 1 year later!

Inuhanyou

What is the likelihood of Sony hitting their 18M target this year i wonder. They have basically had every major game locked in at this point for marketing rights before the year even started

is it just me who keeps thinking with these kinds of advantages they didn't even really need to invest in pro

vpance

Sony expecting its second biggest profit ever next year. Crazy.

Biggest since 20 years ago. Took them 2 decades to return to where they peaked. Damn.

Sony forecasts operating profit to rise to 500 billion yen ($4.50 billion) from 288.7 billion yen a year prior, when earnings were roughly in line with a revised estimate announced earlier this month.

The outlook compared with the 510.58 billion yen average of 27 analyst estimates compiled by Thomson Reuters.

If achieved, it would be the highest profit since its peak, of 525.7 billion, set in the year through March 1998, on strong sales of consumer electronics and a boost from box-office hit "Man in Black" as well as the popularity of the first PlayStation.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
is it just me who keeps thinking with these kinds of advantages they didn't even really need to invest in pro

I doubt they ever expected the Pro to be a serious seller, it was a niche product for hardcore fans and was marketed as such.

Bundling games like rdr2, destiny 2, Star Wars battlefront 2 and cod ww2 will roll in the dough for them so no price cut will be needed unless Scorpio is aggresively priced at 399

I'd instantly bite on a Pro this holiday if any of those games get custom console bundles.
A Pro version of something similar to this with Destiny 2, i'd be all over it.

sense

I doubt they ever expected the Pro to be a serious seller, it was a niche product for hardcore fans and was marketed as such.
I think it was more of a test to see how something like that will be received/adopted. We will know by next year if the pro stops the decline in hardware sales tat usually happens around this time of a generation.

Inuhanyou

i've been arguing that since before it launched, which is why it baffles me why they even bothered. Atleast with MS, they are trying to get back the power crown so they can gain some advantages and marketshare, so it makes sense for them to launch an iterative machine. Pro still feels like an answer to a question that was not posed

Feorax

I'm assuming the Wii hit a wall just after the period depicted on this graph.

IIRC, support for the Wii really dried up towards the end of its lifespan. Cheaply made party games stopped selling big numbers and nintendo's own efforts weren't quite as successful (Wii Music anyone?).

PS4 absolutely dominating this generation. I just hope Sony gets why they're having this success and doesn't go Sony 2006 or Microsoft 2010 on us.

Melchiah

Inconceivable. Its barely been 3 years and a few months. To get close to PS3 in this short a time period...ridiculous.

And to think, that in the beginning of this gen people claimed none of the current systems would reach the sales of last gen, because console gaming is dead.

EGM1966

What is the likelihood of Sony hitting their 18M target this year i wonder. They have basically had every major game locked in at this point for marketing rights before the year even started

Pro has always been positioned clearly by Sony: niche device for those wanting more oomph as the gen goes on and allowing for better alignment of AAA games with PC across the gen.

They clearly never expected - nor even tried to encourage - majority to shift from regular PS4.

No doubt they expect the scales to tip more to Pro over next 2 to 3 years but it was always positioned as a high end version for a minority of their install base.

An above-average portion (relative to previous generations) of the total consumer spend on games this generation has been from the hardcore segment, that's why you're seeing Sony (and Microsoft with Scorpio) try to create more products that cater to them.

Things look bleak for MS this holiday though... a lot of people on Gaf seem to think it'll be a generation reset where MS will simply start winning because they have the more powerful box that will be "the best place to play the big AAA 3rd party titles"... but all those third party titles have exclusive marketing agreements with Sony. Microsoft literally can't even mention Call of Duty, Battlefront 2, Red Dead, Destiny, etc's names in their marketing. That's not even getting into the likely price drops and bundles Sony will likely deploy simultaneously with Scorpio.

bombshell

So this report only seems to have gaming revenue number for whole year.

I searched Google and found previous quarter revenue numbers. Is this calculation correct?

Q1+Q2+Q3: 330.4 + 319.9 + 617.7 = 1,268 billion yen.

FY2016: 1,649.8 billion yen.

Q4: 1,649.8 - 1,268 = 381.8 billion yen revenue for the gaming and network sector in Q4 alone.

= $3.43 billion.

Compared to MS's combined gaming revenue of $1.928 billion last quarter.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
i've been arguing that since before it launched, which is why it baffles me why they even bothered. Atleast with MS, they are trying to get back the power crown so they can gain some advantages and marketshare, so it makes sense for them to launch an iterative machine. Pro still feels like an answer to a question that was not posed

They bothered because, even though it was niche, there was a demand for it. I don't have any figures but AFAIK it's been selling reasonably well, most people that own one are quite pleased with it. I know I am.

jayu26

Sony overall or PS only?

Sony.
Does not account for inflation.
Also...
Sony may be projecting slightly fewer consoles sold, but its interesting to note they also project higher sales overall. In fact, their current forecast would give them the highest gaming related revenue of all time, beating Nintendo at the height of DS/Wii mania (FY09) by about 50B yen.
How? Sell more buildings?
They have a very agressive forcast for their Semiconductor division.
Any news about revenue?
Yes, read the OP.

Neonep

$199 would be kosher.

They'd be insane not to hit that price going into this holiday season; Scorpio and NSW gonna be gunning for them.

LOL... Gunning for what? On Dec. 31, 2017 add up all the sales of the Switch, Xbox One, & Scorpio and that number will still be well well under what the PS4 has done.

Inuhanyou

Pro has always been positioned clearly by Sony: niche device for those wanting more oomph as the gen goes on and allowing for better alignment of AAA games with PC across the gen.

They clearly never expected - nor even tried to encourage - majority to shift from regular PS4.

No doubt they expect the scales to tip more to Pro over next 2 to 3 years but it was always positioned as a high end version for a minority of their install base.

If it takes that long for scales to tip, what's the point if they are going to be introducing PS5 only imminently by then? Retire base PS4 and sell a slimmed down Pro as the main PS4 model in addition to PS5?

Well deserved. They put gamers first with their hardware and software decisions. And just look at all those stability updates. Trust-building!

Tratorn

To be fair the PS2 didn't have the luxury of having simultaneous worldwide launch.

Yes, that is right. But this discussion is old already at this point. It wasn't expected by many that it would still hold that position so long. And I think noone is expecting it to come even near the LTD numbers of PS2.

But if they reach their goal for next FY, PS4 will still be at top at this time next year. That's still a great achievement.

Melchiah

They bothered because, even though it was niche, there was a demand for it. I don't have any figures but AFAIK it's been selling reasonably well, most people that own one are quite pleased with it. I know I am.

The Pro was sold out in some parts of Europe, and Asia I believe. It seems like there wasn't quite as much demand for it in America though, or maybe the other regions got smaller shipments?

Top Bottom