• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

If it takes that long for scales to tip, what's the point if they are going to be introducing PS5 only imminently by then? Retire base PS4 and sell a slimmed down Pro as the main PS4 model in addition to PS5?

PS2 continued to make Sony lots of money after PS3 came out, no reason to think that won't also be the case with PS4 and PS5.

cheesekao

So this report only seems to have gaming revenue number for whole year.

I searched Google and found previous quarter revenue numbers. Is this calculation correct?

Q1+Q2+Q3: 330.4 + 319.9 + 617.7 = 1,268 billion yen.

FY2016: 1,890 billion yen.

Q4: 1,890 - 1,268 = 622 billion yen revenue for the gaming and network sector in Q4 alone.

= $5.58 billion.

Compared to MS's combined gaming revenue of $1.928 billion last quarter.
If your calculations are true then that's crazy. Sony may have a 2:1 lead in hardware sales but approximately 3:1 lead in revenue.

wapplew

How many PS4 sold last year from NPD? Want to know how much of that 20M ship to NA.

If your calculations are true then that's crazy. Sony may have a 2:1 lead in hardware sales but approximately 3:1 lead in revenue.

2 new hardware plus a new revision.

Xando

The Pro was sold out in some parts of Europe, and Asia I believe. It seems like there wasn't quite as much demand for it in America though, or maybe the other regions got smaller shipments?

Pro still sometimes has supply issues on Amazon or Gamestop here in germany. I believe it sold more than they expected

I searched Google and found previous quarter revenue numbers. Is this calculation correct?

FY2016: 1,890 billion yen.

Q4: 1,890 - 1,268 = 622 billion yen revenue for the gaming and network sector in Q4 alone.

= $5.58 billion.

Interesting to note if the numbers are correct.
That is a pretty hefty gap between Sony and MS digital storefront revenue.

Another benefit of being a global system in effect.

Edit: Ah I see your edit bombshell! So Sony 3.3Bbn vs the MS $1.92bn.
That is more in line with the global 2:1 lead Sony has.

Thank you for updating.

bombshell

OléGunner;234996673 said:

Whoops, rookie mistake. I used the FY2017 forecast number instead of FY2016 lol

Please see my post for updated calculation (please update your quotes).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Inuhanyou said:
i've been arguing that since before it launched, which is why it baffles me why they even bothered.
The way I heard it - Pro was a "free" artifact of the process switch - ie. they had to pay that cost if they wanted to get on smaller node, taking the upgraded APU was just a side benefit.

MS was in the same boat - but they had interests beyond process shrink, obviously.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with Sony predicting $4.5 billion PROFIT next year, they'll make about the same profit as Microsoft made this year, and what a company like MS usually makes? Surely that can't be right I though MS were 5X as big as Sony.

bombshell

OléGunner;234996673 said:

Edit: Ah I see your edit bombshell! So Sony 3.3Bbn vs the MS $1.92bn.
That is more in line with the global 2:1 lead Sony has.

Thank you for updating.

My eyes just went to the rightmost column to find the newest number, forgot that was the forecast :)

Yeah, $3.3bn vs. $1.92bn revenue for Q4. It should be noted that the MS number includes all gaming ventures, XB1, W10 PC, Minecraft etc., so it's not a perfect 1:1 comparison.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with Sony predicting $4.5 billion PROFIT next year, they'll make about the same profit as Microsoft made this year, and what a company like MS usually makes? Surely that can't be right I though MS were 5X as big as Sony.
Quarter versus whole year

dQoyfb4.gif

KZObsessed

According to ZhugeEX PSN once again generated more money than the whole of Nintendo. Quite a bit more.

ZhugeEX said:
Sony generated ¥715 billion from PlayStation Network sales alone in FY16.

That's more than Nintendo's total FY16 revenue (¥489 billion)

Crazy. And 78million units by next March means easily 100 million LTD eventually.

ethomaz

Banned
They shipped the 60m... amazing.

Revenue for game division for Q4 posted on the doc is 381.8bn yen = $3.43 billion.

bombshell

They shipped the 60m... amazing.

Revenue for game division for Q4 posted on the doc is 3.81bn yen = $3.42 million.

Right, thanks for confirming that I'm blind! :p

So my calculation was not that far off. I got $3.3bn instead of $3.42bn.

Edit: Wait no, I got it exactly right: 381.8bn yen as stated in the report, that's $3.43bn like I wrote last page.

yurinka

Sony predicting 18m sales when they have a far better lineup this year seems strange. I'm guessing that's because there won't be a hardware revision this year.
They have a very strong 1st party line up for this year with sales from Horizon, a new Uncharted, a new Gran Turismo and maybe a new God of War. Same goes for the extensive 3rd party games with RDR2, Battlefront 2, etc and maybe the next AC.

They will sell a lot. Having released Slim and Pro this year obviously there won't be a revision next year. I think they may have a price cut in 2018, will release slimmer Pro SKU in 2019 and PS5 in 2020.

FY13 = 7.5 million
FY14 = 14.8 million
FY15 = 17.7 million
FY16 = 20 million
FY17 (predicted) = 18 million

I'm curious if 2016 is really going to be the peak.

According to ZhugeEX PSN once again generated more money than the whole of Nintendo. Quite a bit more.

Crazy. And 78million units by next March means easily 100 million LTD eventually.

2nd year in a row iirc where PSN generated more revenue that the entirety of Nintendo.

FY2016: 1,649.8 billion yen.

Q4: 1,649.8 - 1,268 = 381.8 billion yen revenue for the gaming and network sector in Q4 alone.

= $3.43 billion.

Yep! I just used USD figures reported by Sony for 2016 annual then subtracted each of the past 3 quarters based on the investor relations library below, the Game & Network Services figure I saw was: $3.03 billion.

Sony Annual 2016: $14.73b

2016Q3: $5.325b
2016Q2: $3.167b
2016Q1: $3.208b

2016Q4: $3.030b

Very close to yours, so that calculation is accurate just depends on the exchange rate you are using.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/er.html

Edit: I just saw the actual 2016Q4 figure quoted was ¥381.8b or $3.42b in the slides below. But good to have sanity check too, but mine was a bit different due to older exchange rates ;-)

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q4_sonypre.pdf

Very good for Sony .
They going for 18 million this year .
Still they might be able to get 19\20 million depending on price drops and USA BF and xmas sales.

Bod

Neo Member
A shame that the rest of Sony is going down shitter. The company as a whole has taken a 50% hit in net profits.

Top Bottom