• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces Xperia Z1 Compact – a premium compact smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

Sony introduces Xperia Z1 Compact – the world’s best premium compact smartphone

xperia-z1-compact-hero-black-1240x840-0da4cf75109b8803ab8362c6b82bafdc.jpg

xperia-z1-compact-gallery-03-1240x840-379a94f1ecf7a07d51b8e1393ed8c189.jpg

Xperia Z1 Compact highlights
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core 2.2 Ghz processor
  • 4.3” TRILUMINOS Display (1280x720)
  • Sony G Lens, 1/2.3 inches 20.7 MP Exmor RS for mobile image sensor
  • Water and dust resistant (IP55 & IP58)
Basically: The same high-end specs as the current Xperia Z1 flagship (save for the smaller screen size, resolution and lower battery) in a compact 4.3” form. Many have been begging smartphone makers for years for this. Recent 'mini' offerings from Android manufacturers have all been terribly downgraded specs-wise in comparison to their bigger brothers, so this is a most welcome change.

Impressions

Sony announces Xperia Z1 compact, a smaller flagship with full-size features (Engadget)

Sony heeds the call for a small superphone with Xperia Z1 Compact (The Verge)

Release
  • Europe: February 2014, €499-€549 | £440-£470
  • North America:
    :(

Compared to the size of an iPhone:

CronoShot

720p flagships in 2014?

Not really a flagship, but an spinoff of a flagship.

Still, nice for people who want a small Android phone with great specs.

I don't think I could go smaller after having a 5" screen though. I pick up my old iPhone 5 every now and then, and it just seems so tiny.

Burt

Thank god there's at least one manufacturer that realizes I don't feel like walking around with a pancake in my pocket.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why do their American sales team suck so much? T-Mobile exclusive?

Looks like an awesome phone.

Kiraly

Nice job dimming the brightness and putting a horribly obscuring screen protector on the iPhone for the comparison pic, guys.

It is about the comparison of the size, not a single thing else.

I knew I should have added something Apple in the thread title to draw the masses in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice job dimming the brightness and putting a horribly obscuring screen protector on the iPhone for the comparison pic, guys.

Dude...

It's just a size comparison. The iPhone was probably the one in the photographer's pocket. It's not like the Sony phone is presented in a particularly charming light, either.

It is about the comparison of the size, not a single thing else.

I knew I should have added something Apple in the thread title to draw the masses in.

well to be fair they are loaded up to the same site, so someone was trying to compare something.

If I had any interest in buying an android phone it would be this one. Sony's designs are nice but not comfortable to hold at 5 inches; this looks to have the right amount of curve.

krae_man

I think 4.3" is a tad small. I like the size of my Nexus 4, but 4.5" would work too. I hope this takes off. I feared upgrading my phone in a couple years and having 6" be the smallest around.

Dead Man

Fuckin' A. 4.3" is the sweet spot IMO. Not too big, but then not small either.

Just got myself a HTC One mini a couple weeks ago, could not agree more. Perfect size. I hope this one does well so we can start getting more good phones in the smaller screen sizes.

krae_man

Will this work on any Canadian Carrier if bought unlocked?

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20)

Looks that way. Will work on everything, even Wind/Mobilicity.

vivftp

They love their wasted space below the screen, don't they.

The Z1 camera requires more space than your typical smartphone camera so it has to be housed in the frame above the screen rather than behind the screen itself. That's why the top part is so relatively large. The bottom is equally as large as the phone is built on their omni-balance design philosophy.

Of course it's not like it's wasted space. All of that has to go towards the oodles of hardware and relatively large battery they stuffed in there.

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't ever really care about phones. But I'm hoping this is popular and they make another one that's upgraded even more next year.

So I can upgrade to it.

It certainly looks great, but I preferred the Z's look to the roundedness of the Z1s.
But they probably couldn't keep that look without making it too chunky.

FYI - there is no T-Mobile release planned for this phone as far as I know. It is not slated for any US carrier as they all rejected it on the basis of being "too small and too expensive". It will be out everywhere else though.

The Z1s for T-Mobile is a 5" 1080p device which is basically the same as the Z1 but with 32GB and a central headphone jack.

Zapages

I wish it was 1080p screen instead of 720p...

FYI - there is no T-Mobile release planned for this phone as far as I know. It is not slated for any US carrier as they all rejected it on the basis of being "too small and too expensive". It will be out everywhere else though.

The Z1s for T-Mobile is a 5" 1080p device which is basically the same as the Z1 but with 32GB and a central headphone jack.

WTF is this true?!

Burt

Those motherfuckers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sony's mobile presence in the US just sucks.

that's sony for you

always overcharging for their stuff

it's no wonder they're on the verge of bankruptcy

Koreans make better and more affordable electronics. even American firms do... this isn't the 80s anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom