• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces Xperia Z1 Compact – a premium compact smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like an amazing phone and I want it, but it's a shame it runs Android. :(

Sony makes some freaking awesome phone, hopefully their Windows Phone are the same high quality as their Android Phones.

Would love it if this same phone had a Windows Phone version.

rrs

How much lower is the battery compared to the normal z1?

Also, I need to upgrade my phone after having my galaxy s (original) all these years.

What kind of difference in battery life are we talking about here.

Not too happy about 720p, but the z1 is just too big and probably wont fit in my pocket lol

720p on 4.3" is crazy good. It can apparently can last a day with heavy use.

Looks like an amazing phone and I want it, but it's a shame it runs Android. :(

Sony makes some freaking awesome phone, hopefully their Windows Phone are the same high quality as their Android Phones.

Would love it if this same phone had a Windows Phone version.

Windows Phone ? lol... I mean Windows phone is a great OS by the fact that it's functional but it's sooo gimped and sooo late in features compared to Android and iOS it's not even funny. I had a Windows Phone for 2 months and couldn't stand it, there's so many frustrating things in Windows Phone. No surprise MS have problems selling them because they mostly suck if you compare to others.

Android on my Xperia Z1 is fucking amazing ! It's probably the best Android flavour compared to all other Android phones like Galaxy and HTC One. It's fast, it's packed with very cool features and it's the nicest.

I see a bright future for Sony smartphones.

Got mine (white) on Thursday and I love it! I upgraded from an HTC Desire Z and the boost in speed is impressive. I was waiting for this device since it was first rumoured. I did not want to have such a massive phone with 5" but I wanted to have some power without compromising anything. On top of this I did not want a phone out of so much plastics so there were not many options. Damn, the wait was worth it. I really love it. Set everything up again within a few hours and it all worked like a charm. I do not use Google to sync everything, instead I use owncloud and caldav/carddav.

The UI changes made by Sony are small and feel great. I have a Nexus 7 with vanilla 4.x and it's not that much of a change as HTC Sense (which I do not like much).

The only problem I have right now is, the walkman app does not recognize my pcs anymore. It did work yesterday but they are not listed now. Any idea how to fix this again?

vivftp

I'm extremely hopeful the screen quality and battery life of this phone are indicative of what Sony are striving for on all the 2014 high end units.

I do wonder if they're going to continue with the glass back and shatterproof sheets though. While I appreciate the shatterproof sheets for making the phone more durable in case of drops, they are easier to scratch than the actual glass screen and handle fingerprints differently.

Water

How so? It has one of the lightest custom UIs and the Walkman and camera apps, which I believe are considered great.
That doesn't sound too bad, although not as good as unskinned UI (Moto) or the gold standard of updates straight from Google (Nexus). Has Sony been good with OS updates?

Man

I imported an iPhone from the US (to Europe) back in 2007 and I have stuck to iOS since.
Ordered the Xperia Z1 compact so first time switching to Android (latest phone is iPhone 5).

did verge also deducted marks from iPhone due to being blocky like z1c

It's a Vlad Savov review. That guys screams to high heavens about 'viewing angles, bezels, ergonomics, and 5 inch being too big.'

Guys like Joshua Topolsky who usually ends up reviewing the iPhones don't care so much about phone size and ergonomics. In fact, he's been singing praises for the Xperia Z1, saying that it's way better than an iPhone in everything except the camera ( and viewing angles, but it doesn't bother him that much. )

Fezan

It's a Vlad Savov review. That guys screams to high heavens about 'viewing angles, bezels, ergonomics, and 5 inch being too big.'

Guys like Joshua Topolsky who usually ends up reviewing the iPhones don't care so much about phone size and ergonomics. In fact, he's been singing praises for the Xperia Z1, saying that it's way better than an iPhone in everything except the camera ( and viewing angles, but it doesn't bother him that much. )
o_O

Everyone at the Verge gushes at the 5S camera. How it captures a great shot 99 out of 100 times, easy to use, many shots have great detail, more textures are visible, colours are more vibrant, etc.

In fact, I would say their opinion are so biased at this point that they instantly believe any other camera is inferior even if it's comparable.

A recent Vergecast actually had Josh troll the hell out of Nilay by having them look at photos and guess which was iPhone, and they kept thinking the Z1 photos were captured by the iPhone.

With that being said, Josh still thinks that the iPhone has better camera. Only a weeee bit better, but still better.

Water

The video capability of the cameras is massively skewed in favor of the 5S at least. I'm amazed that Sony, of all companies, would not even have 60fps video on their flagship phone.

vivftp

The video capability of the cameras is massively skewed in favor of the 5S at least. I'm amazed that Sony, of all companies, would not even have 60fps video on their flagship phone.

Well at the very least it looks like they'll be correcting that with the next flagship with both high speed recording (guessing 120 FPS?) and 4K video recording. Given they'll have those features, I can't see them not having a 60 FPS option

I'm actually hoping they'll use the same video recording technique they're using in the new RX10 camera where when recording a video it's the entire sensor that's being utilized and just not certain parts of it like most other cameras do. Should make for better overall video quality if they use this technique.

Plus I'm also curious if they'll be utilizing any form of OIS or if they'll continue to use their own digital image stabilizer. Not that their digital option isn't any good - it's actually quite good. It's just that it limits the field of view when in use.

munroe

Argh what to do?

So basically I've been waiting for this phone to finally launch on the Three network basically because of no extra charge for 4G and unlimited all-you-can-eat data plans.

It has finally launched on the network and no unlimited data plans! Max they do is 2GB and that costs £37/month with a £29 upfront cost, not what I was expecting at all.

Especially when compared with other providers like O2 (through Carphone Warehouse), who currently offer, £28/month with 1GB data and no upfront cost, a comparable plan at Three would be £31/month, £29 upfront 1GB data.

How are O2 now-a-days, not been with them for years.

vctor182

To the guys or gals who already have it, how's the phone? It's been released here in Mexico but it's quite expensive and I've read somewhere that the camera has issues taking pictures with flash, UI has bugs and stutters...

To the guys or gals who already have it, how's the phone? It's been released here in Mexico but it's quite expensive and I've read somewhere that the camera has issues taking pictures with flash, UI has bugs and stutters...

ive had it for a month or two now and its very good phone. the few complaints i have are:
the vibration is not nearly strong enough and i dont know why but the vibration start of really mild and get stronger, i may have a defect phone
the camera takes longer to focus than iphone
the power button isnt big enough and the volume buttons are not as good as iphone

its minor stuff really, i have had iphone 4s, nokia lumia and htc one and this is as good as my experience with iphone 4s. the camera quality is solid and i havnt run into any stutters but once i did experience a bug where the reception dropped and i had to restart the phone but i have experienced that with virtually all the phones. very good phone, highly recommended

Zutroy

Anyone had the KitKat update yet? This is my first android phone so I'm not entirely sure how it works. I read its the carrier who rolls it out, but does it make a difference that mine was bought directly from Sony?

Anyone had the KitKat update yet? This is my first android phone so I'm not entirely sure how it works. I read its the carrier who rolls it out, but does it make a difference that mine was bought directly from Sony?

It should come faster because you bought it directly from Sony as the carrier doesn't need to customize it to their needs.

Make sure you check the update center. There's oft been times where I hadn't received a notification.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just bought mine off of eBay for 350$ US.

Measurements online don't make it seem much smaller than my Nexus 4, but I hope it'll fit in my pockets better.

Saro

Any chance of a Z2 compact? I've been holding out on getting one, or maybe I should wait for a good price.

Randam

anybody know hoq I can get rid of all the copies of pictures the phone creates?

I have every picture, no matter if I took it myself, or got it send by a friend or so, in 5 different versions(different resolutions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom