• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces Xperia Z1 Compact – a premium compact smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I'm using an Xperia Go as a backup at the moment and it's the worst fucking phone I've ever used. Slow, crashes and the small screen is shitty for Android. Getting my Nexus 4 fixed next week.

Mario007

I'm using an Xperia Go as a backup at the moment and it's the worst fucking phone I've ever used. Slow, crashes and the small screen is shitty for Android. Getting my Nexus 4 fixed next week.
You can't really judge Android, the Xperia Brand or which screen is good when you're using a 2 year old low-end device as your reference point. That's like me proclaiming Android and Samsung to be shitty after using Galaxy Mini 2 or iPhone to be shit after using the 3GS.

vctor182

I'm keeping an eye on this, I liked the Z1 but it's size is really big for my taste. I'm an S2 user (currently trying the htc one though but the camera issue really messed it up) so the screen size is perfect for me.

Randam

i have a xperia go and besides the performance, i realy like it.
3.5" is more than enoigh for me.

hope there will be stronger 3,4" phones in the future as well.

Comparison shots on Xperiablog.net

Sony-China-Xperia-Z1-event_5.jpg

Sony-China-Xperia-Z1-event_6.jpg

Sony-China-Xperia-Z1-event_7.jpg

Sony-China-Xperia-Z1-event_8.jpg

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/01/1...orful-edition-aka-compact-will-cost-cny-3999/

vivftp

Yeah, it seems funny that they used great looking panels for the Z Ultra and Z1 Compact, but the panel lottery meant the Z1 itself wound up with sub-par screens at least as far as viewing angle go. Head-on, even the sub-par Z1 screens are quite nice.

Hope this means Sony is finally done with sub-par screens on their flagship phones.

Zutroy

I wasn't planning on getting a new phone soon, but because my dissertation project is going to be an Android app, I've decided to make the jump from my iPhone 5 and pre-order the Compact. After I sell my iPhone it's not going to really cost me much, and I also get a free Smartwatch 2 so I could sell that and make it cost even less.

It's apparently going to arrive early next month, so I'm quite excited to try it out. If I don't like the move to Android I'll just sell it towards the end of the year and get the iPhone 6.

spwolf

First Sony phone that is getting 5/5 scores, no if's or but's.

The smallest of the Xperia Z line feels good in the hand, is sturdily built and is waterproof. It has a great screen, an excellent camera and applications simply fly on its powerful processor.

It also lasts around two days on a single charge without having to resort to aggressive power management. It is slightly thicker than competing phones like the 4in iPhone 5S, and is slightly heavier too, but in general usage its not noticeable. Its smaller frame makes it easy to use one handed and slip into your pocket.

The Sony Z1 Compact is the first of a new generation of small, premium Android phones. Now its time to see if that market gap that Sony seems to have identified really exists.

Star rating: 5 stars

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-review-this-phone-is-small-premium-and-great

catmincer

Yeah, it seems funny that they used great looking panels for the Z Ultra and Z1 Compact, but the panel lottery meant the Z1 itself wound up with sub-par screens at least as far as viewing angle go. Head-on, even the sub-par Z1 screens are quite nice.

Hope this means Sony is finally done with sub-par screens on their flagship phones.

I am convinced they used left over screens from the Z line. This is why they're garbage on Z1.

Ty4on

Which it had a smaller bezel. The Moto X is just two mm taller and half a mm wider with a bigger display. Seeing how great battery life is I wonder how the Moto X would do with that SoC.

rrs

Which it had a smaller bezel. The Moto X is just two mm taller and half a mm wider with a bigger display. Seeing how great battery life is I wonder how the Moto X would do with that SoC.

I'm guessing cooling reasons along with the battery are causing it to seem bloated. It also seems odd there's no buttons on the bottom like my similar sized HTC Evo 3D to fill in the void left.

Bishop89

Is it possible that the z2 will have this same size but with the resolution, battery life of the normal z1? I checked the z1 in stores and its fairly big :/ oh and that z2 rumour thread on gaf, is it still a rumour? Want to upgrade my phone after all these years (still got my galaxy s, original)

vivftp

The top bezel likely has to be that size to allow for the larger camera, and the bottom bezel is that size due to the omni-balance design so that it matches the top bezel. The benefit of course is that it allows them to put a relatively large battery in the phone for its size.

thuway

Speaking of bezels an easy way too alleviate bezel woes is to have a hardware home button so the user has more screen real estate.

Mario007

Speaking of bezels an easy way too alleviate bezel woes is to have a hardware home button so the user has more screen real estate.
Wouldn't match with the Omnibalance design then.

I don't know, I think the bezels are any large than iPhone bezels.

vivftp

Heh, there are times when I'm fumbling with my Z Ultra that I do wish I had a phone where I could effortlessly use it one handed. I think even something the size of the Z1 might give me the occasional issue with one handed use. If it weren't for the fact that I've now become so accustomed to a large screen phone, I'd snap this little baby up in an instant.

I do have some friends who might be looking to switch over from an iPhone though. Any word yet on if/when it'll be coming to Canada and if any carriers have picked it up yet? I haven't heard a peep about the subject yet.

Kiraly

This phone is getting great scores on reviews left and right.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1_compact-review-1037.php

http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phones/2014-01/sony-xperia-z1-compact

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/sony-xperia-z1-compact/4505-6454_7-35833437.html

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z1-Compact-Review_id3547

xperia-z1compact-battery.jpg

Gsmarena said:
It has finally happened - we have a proper compact flagship on our hands. Is it everything we hoped it would be? With pretty much no deal-breakers, this may as well turn out to be Sony's breakout star this year. The reason to become an ex-iPhone user. A supercharged droid you can wrap a single hand around. A message delivered loud and clear that the diagonal climb isn't the only way up.

EekTheKat

It looks like the current model is the D5503 - the AT&T compatible model should be the D5506, though from the looks of it they haven't made one yet.

This is just going by older Sony models ending in 6 being the most AT&T friendly, with LTE bands enabled (4 and 17).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So... Any way to get this on att?

If you buy from tmobile without a contract, will they unlock it?
Buy it unlocked from a 3rd party retailer.

Eventually, it'll be sold through the us Sony store, if you're ok with waiting.

vctor182

• Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400 CPU, 2 GB RAM, Adreno 330 GPU; Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset
  • 20.7MP autofocus camera with a 1/2.3" Exmor RS sensor and F/2.0 Sony G Lens; Info-eye, AR effects
  • Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA; Wireless TV-out
    GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
  • 16GB of built-in storage; microSD card slot
  • MHL-enabled microUSB port
  • FM radio with RDS

Can not ask anything more. I really want this.

Dazzler

Really want this phone, hoping someone brings it to Canada

I've been waiting for a compact premium phone

Can't understand why something like this hasn't been created before

Water

Very, very promising direction for Android phones.

I've never paid more than 250 euros for a phone; currently rocking a Moto G. But if I could get this form factor, a balls-out camera, and clean Android with fast updates, I'd shell out flagship phone money. I don't even care about performance other than camera.

But alas:
Moto G has a crappy camera.
Moto X has a middling camera.
Nexus 5 fails on form factor and has a middling camera.
Xperia Z1 Compact fails on the software front.

How about a compact Nexus phone for once? How about a Nexus phone with a great camera for once? Or both - say... a new Nexus based on the Z1 Compact?

Availability is a problem too. High time for Google to start selling devices through Play to all European countries. The Motos aren't available here (I had to import my G) and Nexus devices cost more than Samsung flagships due to not being sold through Google.

Zutroy

More reviews

Stuff 5/5
Specs or smallness? The Z1 Compact does everyone a favour and gives you both in one phone. That leaves just one last burning question: Why has it taken this long?
http://www.stuff.tv/sony/sony-xperia-z1-compact/review

Tech Advisor 4.5/5
We love what Sony has done with the Xperia Z1 Compact. Finally consumers have the choice to buy a high-end smartphone without being forced to use a large screen. The fact it's cheaper than most flagship devices makes it one of the best smartphones around.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3496052/sony-xperia-z1-compact-review/

TheGadgetShow 5/5
Sony's crafted the best 'mini' Android smartphone you can buy, and it's the first time we've seen a handset maker get a downsized flagship absolutely right - not to mention that it's a brilliant piece of kit on its own right too.
http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadgets/phones/sony-xperia-z1-compact

-----------------
Mine is out for delivery for today, but I've just realised it takes a microsim and not a nano. Gonna have to hunt one down.

longdi

Banned
i called it! this is the killer Sony phone we were waiting for, a real screen makes a whole lot of difference.

wished they released it sooner instead of Feb i have to wait for a few more weeks.

Tablo

Seems like a real winner of a phone. Sony finally realizing people want smaller flagships. Would love to see this running WP8 lol

Bishop89

How much lower is the battery compared to the normal z1?

Also, I need to upgrade my phone after having my galaxy s (original) all these years.

What kind of difference in battery life are we talking about here.

Not too happy about 720p, but the z1 is just too big and probably wont fit in my pocket lol

Zutroy

I've had a day with it now, and so far so good!

I'm still adjusting to android from ios7, but in terms of hardware it's a great solid piece of kit. Two minor issues with the hardware, the volume buttons are a bit flimsy and the top headphone volume seems quiet compared to the iPhone (I know it's not good for you, but I sometimes listen to music really loud!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom