• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Building a Hostage Crisis!!!!! (List of Games to Kickstarter)

0UIEaFC.jpg

Lmao

Sorral

My request is very cheap and I'll be a hostage until I get it! D:

Ace Combat HD collection please! I will pay the price!

ZoddGutts

If it means reviving old IP's and them getting AA type budget which being 2million KS goal and Sony throwing 2 million or so themselves is fine with me, better than not getting anything.

They've been building a list for ages, it's not necessarily a Kickstarter specific list. We also got Borderlands and Resident Evil on Vita through the list.

But please kickstart Skies of Arcadia Remake thank you.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
JET SET RADIO!

--

People are agianst this? What the hell?

It's not like there's gonna be a new games of these anyways. Atleast This make it possible!

AaronB

I would be upset if this completely replaced developers and publishers putting their own resources on the line trying to surprise us with games we didn't know we wanted. I think that's beyond unlikely, though.

In a more limited way, I think it's a positive thing if even large companies put up a project and essentially take preorders in order to gauge interest in particular projects, and get feedback. If only Nintendo would have put up a teaser for that Metroid game and seen the fan reaction, they would have probably would have realized they should go a different direction.

Melchiah

This is a fucking brilliant idea, since it'll put the decision of what games get developed in the hands of the customers, rather than shareholders, analysts and marketing execs.

I mean look at the Survival horror genre. That died of for years purely because it didn't pull in COD numbers, and the people holding the purse strings decided the consumer didn't want them anymore.

This is the best possible hope we have for a return of mid tier, niche games from the big producers, and that's fantastic.

Hear, hear! I find it hard to see, how this is supposed to be a negative thing in some people's eyes. It just seems like it's got much to do with platform wars, and trying to find something to complain about (ie. row against the current) after a succesful E3 event.

Not only that, but the fans directly contribute to the game's actual existence with their money. People paying for a concept, basically a bunch of artwork, snippets of renders, a couple musical tracks, is to publishers (who have become ever more cautious with their money the more end up going under or consolidating) a considerable endorsement for the title in question.

Publishers want mid-tier games. Unfortunately, their ability to produce such on their own has withered over half a decade ago. I would say their ability to produce concepts of any kind has withered, not least because finding out the public's tastes has become more difficult. They are simply unable to see which concept might become a good mid-tier title, and which should remain a small effort or, conversely, be transformed into a full-blown several-A experience. Crowdfunds are probably the most precise tool at their disposal.

If this approach makes fan favorite and innovative mid-tier games possible, that a board of directors (or a focus group) wouldn't necessarily approve, I'm all for it. Less safe releases made for the lowest common denominator.

Shengar

JET SET RADIO!

--

People are agianst this? What the hell?

It's not like there's gonna be a new games of these anyways. Atleast This make it possible!

People thought that this will set the precedent where big Companies like Sony will use kickstart to extort money for their future games.
In reality though, such scheme wouldn't work. Only old games with cult following that would be able to pull such Kickstarter campaign. If anything, this gives us, the fans, chance to not only revived old and buried franchise but also directly involved with its revival.

Huggers

The distaste at Kickstarting games boggles my mind. What's not to like? They gauge interest. The backers get cool shit. Awesome games that otherwise wouldn't get made, get made. It's win win

I'm enjoying all the concern over a simple declaration, how we went from "we're building a list" to this silly drama.

Nobody is forced to kickstart anything.

Pikma

Banned
Konami please fuck yourself and release your unused IPs. I need

BOMBERMAN!
I'll be dead before that even happens, those fuckers paid actual money (even though it must have been disgustingly cheap) to get Hudson Soft IPs and they did it with only one intention: to fucking bury them. So no, they won't let them shine all of a sudden, not that easily.

Eat shit Konami.

terrier

Seems a legit approach that may help bring back games that were dead. I can see also this being useful for les popular first party games. I'd love to see Motorstorm come back.

It seems a good way to leverage real interest in a product vs the internet buzz that is usually misleading.

I think more options to get the games we want instead of just your typical annual franchises is great for gamers. And 3rd parties should decide if want to partner for exclusivity, or not.

Disturbing trend.

Publishers lazily watching from the sidelines and latching onto whatever game is seen as even remotely popular because it's funded quickly doesn't seem like what Kickstarter was created for.

Pretty slimy of Sony.

Amazing how you can find a pattern within one single point of data. A datum pattern, if you would.

Terrell

OK, even I'm laughing at this and the thread title change. So at least I got some enjoyment out of all of this.

But if my only choices are to condone this practice or see a franchise I enjoy die, how can that be considered a fair choice, exactly?

It's like when developers do "test games", like Capcom using the DMC4 remaster to "gauge interest" in more DMC games... if I don't buy it because I'm not interested in a remaster or didn't like that particular entry in the series, I'm effectively being told that I don't deserve a new DMC game when that has nothing to do with why I didn't buy the remaster. How is that fair?

I see this as a similar scenario.

d58e7

This is awesome, I hope this gen continues to revive franchises that have been away for a while. I want to finally see chrono break. Come on Sony make it happen.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Why the thread change? someone explain please

Basically this:

It's extortion, a hostage situation. "Give us X dollars or you'll never see your favourite game again!" All that would be missing is for the Kickstarter to have a picture of the franchise hero with a beaten face holding up a picture of a recent newspaper to really bring the reality into the situation there.

And the fact that it's being discussed to happen again alone tells me everything I need to know about how this is going to turn out. What defines a "risky" idea for a game will be stretched thinner and thinner and thinner.

It's extortion, a hostage situation. "Give us X dollars or you'll never see your favourite game again!" All that would be missing is for the Kickstarter to have a picture of the franchise hero with a beaten face holding up a picture of a recent newspaper to really bring the reality into the situation there.

And the fact that it's being discussed to happen again alone tells me everything I need to know about how this is going to turn out. What defines a "risky" idea for a game will be stretched thinner and thinner and thinner.

Bwahahaha perfect

Top Bottom