• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony NGP game screenshots (Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 & more) [Update 2: Uncharted Gifs]

I hope that touchpad durable.....worried about denting it perhaps with keys or something.
Guess its no less durable then the screen, but since I first saw it all i can think of is nicks and dings in it that could probably REALLY fuckup your gameplay if it uses that.

Gravijah

JackFrost said:
I hope that touchpad durable.....worried about denting it perhaps with keys or something.
Guess its no less durable then the screen, but since I first saw it all i can think of is nicks and dings in it that could probably REALLY fuckup your gameplay if it uses that.

It's going to come with the awesome soft case the PSP came with for a while. It has to!

KAL2006

Banned
JackFrost said:

The day I buy a Vita, I will also buy a hardcase, don't want to fuck up the sexy OLED sceen, or the back touchpad or the analog sticks.

JackFrost said:

I'll buy a case and something thin and transparent to cover the front screen, I don't want scratches/smudges on it.

Yoshiya

General Shank-a-snatch said:
I'll buy a case and something thin and transparent to cover the front screen, I don't want scratches/smudges on it.
If they go with decent hardened glass a screen protector isn't really necessary, unless you're intending to drag it across concrete. Modern displays are surprisingly durable.

Yoshiya said:
If they go with decent hardened glass a screen protector isn't really necessary, unless you're intending to drag it across concrete. Modern displays are surprisingly durable.

Fingers crossed for Gorilla Glass...

yeah cases are great and all, and I keep my 3DS in one of them club nintendo pouch thingees, I even got a extra one for the NGP(hoping it fits, if not maybe ill use a pillow case.....that thing looks BIG).

I really dislike the hard plastic cases,they add so much size wise that my psp went from semi portable to not portable with the case. That brings me back to my original problem....if it gets jarred with a key,or something similar will it dent and act like a stuck stick....the back looks like a thick hardish rubber that could be prone to dents.

Just me being paranoid. I dont use cases,screen protectors or any that and all my portables are fine up to date. Just a concern, regardless Ill own day one

StuBurns

Banned
I've never been a fan of using cases, this thing is pretty damn big as it, wrap it up and it's going to be massive. I'm sure it'll be a home only device for me, but I hope for the people commuting with it Sony are going all out making it close to scratch proof. I wonder about the sticks too, if they could damaged in a pocket etc.

I hope it gets a charging station too, it's a small benefit but it's very cool with the 3DS.

StuBurns said:
I've never been a fan of using cases, this thing is pretty damn big as it, wrap it up and it's going to be massive. I'm sure it'll be a home only device for me, but I hope for the people commuting with it Sony are going all out making it close to scratch proof. I wonder about the sticks too, if they could damaged in a pocket etc.
I hope that it is rather resistant to scratches and the like, but you never can be too careful. I agree with you on the sticks too simply because they stick out so much. I feel like a case is really necessary because there's no way it's going to fit in your pocket decently even without a case so you might as well put it in a case that you can carry around in a bag or whatever.

Yoshiya

The sticks are definitely the biggest durability concern. I can't think of a way they could make it safely pocketable short of making them detachable. That said, if you're putting something this large in your (inexplicably expansive) pockets you're probably doing it wrong anyway.

J-Rzez

Noxia said:
Soo Sony said the 3DS isn't a competitor because it's just an updated DS. Yet NGP is a more powerful PSP with an extra analogue stick and some strange touch panel. What are they brining that is new?

Touch screen, touch panel, dual cameras, tilt, fully usable analog sticks, and that's just the hardware that we know about. They probably consider 3G to be something big. We'll find out software features at E3 most likely. I'd say the NGP evolved a bit more from the PSP than the 3DS did from the DS, so that's probably their reasoning, though we don't know all details.

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought OLED screens had higher scratch and smudge resistance?

They'll probably have some special protection built in, but I'd get a case and screen protector on top of it. The case especially, as for example on my PSP, the framing got more scratched up than the screen ever did.

I still can't figure out why people have almost the train of thought, "Great it's almost like a console, thus all console games on the go", without realizing that nothing is stopping it from having quick quirky portable games as well. It's whatever the market dictates most likely will get the higher volume made.

Yoshiya

J-Rzez said:
Touch screen, touch panel, dual cameras, tilt, fully usable analog sticks, and that's just the hardware that we know about. They probably consider 3G to be something big. We'll find out software features at E3 most likely. I'd say the NGP evolved a bit more from the PSP than the 3DS did from the DS, so that's probably their reasoning, though we don't know all details.
Vita even has some potential as a web tablet, which is what I use my iPad for most when I'm carrying it about. Nintendo didn't attempt to compete on that front, which I feel further harms the 3DS value proposition. I can only carry so many things at once.
They'll probably have some special protection built in, but I'd get a case and screen protector on top of it. The case especially, as for example on my PSP, the framing got more scratched up than the screen ever did.
PSP screen (well, surface layer) was all plastic, right? The glass touch panel will surely be far more resistant to scratches. That doesn't do much for the inevitable smudging though.

I think if sales results are any indication, Japan agrees with Sony on the 3DS not being much of an upgrade.

Honestly even though I like 3D, and have a 3DTV. It's simply not a huge sell. I don't own a single 3d movie, nor have I used the glasses in like 2-3 months...

I think it's about content more than anything else, but with that said even though the 3DS has content that is natively 3D by default, I simply don't think the consumer is currently demanding 3D.

The NGP is a video generation back... they're trying to promise HD portable gaming. HD is already a known quantity and a success. I think SCE believes that the NGP is a natural evolution from the PSP. Most of the promises the PSP made for gaming, if not accomplished with the PSP could definitely be accomplished by the NGP with much better graphics and gameplay options with a second analog stick (not to mention sticks instead of nubs).

Even though it wasn't commercially successful I think Syphon Filter really delivered on what the PSP promised it could do. Upgrade the hardware and add analog sticks... I can only imagine what sort of results Sony Bend could get now. We're basically seeing it in Uncharted.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I wonder how usable the NGP would be holding it in the portrait position. Could be pretty cool for top down shooters, random touch screen games, or even just using the web browser.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's less the 3D, more the content.

The 3DS library is terrible right now, OoT and MGS3 are great games but they're old, they're not system sellers for most people I think. By the time the 3DS has a great line up (and it will have) the system will be cheaper and might have had a revision (the current system is pretty unattractive). It's a hard sell right now. I think Sony going for the throat with major releases at launch, a seemingly refined unit and presumably a competitive price, it seems less a leap at this point. But they could very easily fuck it up.

I just hope we hear about more/better launch titles.

Sure I'll buy Uncharted, but I doubt everyone is interested in that, and it would be nice to have more than one quality title to play.

Most of the other titles seem like fodder.

I'm really looking forward to see what EA and/or Capcom have coming out for the NGP.

J-Rzez

Yoshiya said:
Vita even has some potential as a web tablet, which is what I use my iPad for most when I'm carrying it about. Nintendo didn't attempt to compete on that front, which I feel further harms the 3DS value proposition. I can only carry so many things at once.

PSP screen (well, surface layer) was all plastic, right? The glass touch panel will surely be far more resistant to scratches. That doesn't do much for the inevitable smudging though.

Yeah, but Sony's browsers are shit though. They need to partner up with Google and get a proper Chrome for their devices. And there's nothing you can do about smudges, besides having a good surface that wipes clean easier.

Spiegel said:
Good stuff.

I hope they dont jam touch screen down our throats on this....
Couple little things I noticed.I hated the "customization" of HSG... All the better looking outfits dont give any +stats and its not really customization if everyone wearing exact outfits cause of these stats....wish you could use points to build up specific outfits. He did say 3G so that makes me happy. No manual cause you dont need one.....I dunno about that.
overall though this still my #1 game

Apparently toyama, team siren game director, will be' at e3 presenting his new game. Dunno if it's Vita related, but didn't feel opening a new thread just for it.

Mielke tweeted this, you can use that as source. I'm on iPhone and hotlinking with it is a travesty...

StuBurns said:
I think it's less the 3D, more the content.

The 3DS library is terrible right now, OoT and MGS3 are great games but they're old, they're not system sellers for most people I think. By the time the 3DS has a great line up (and it will have) the system will be cheaper and might have had a revision (the current system is pretty unattractive). It's a hard sell right now. I think Sony going for the throat with major releases at launch, a seemingly refined unit and presumably a competitive price, it seems less a leap at this point. But they could very easily fuck it up.

If SCE were to launch for anywhere in the price scheme of 200-250 dollars, it would be really bad for the 3DS.

The content you spoke of could end up going multi-platform, if the NGP is in the same price range as the 3DS.

With the DS you got some 3rd parties who simply didn't put their titles on the PSP. I'm not sure if it was contractual obligations with Nintendo, the PSP's lack of a touchscreen, or what, but the NGP having a touchscreen and if the price is in the right ball park, I think it will give the 3DS a lot of problems.

If Monday rolls around and the only advantage the 3DS has over the NGP is 3D capabilities, it's going to lose. Period point blank. One of the biggest problems the PSP had over it's life was the confusion the 3rd parties had. I think you would be hard pressed as a developer to suggest to your fans that "hey, we couldn't do this game without 3d capabilities." Especially when the 3DS can turn those capabilities off.

It's one thing for Capcom to release Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii when it has a much larger userbase, but the 3DS isn't in that position. The only thing it has right now is the slight time advantage (Which at least in Japan hasn't been fruitful yet) and perceived difference in price).

spats

°°ToMmY°° said:
Apparently toyama, team siren game director, will be' at e3 presenting his new game. Dunno if it's Vita related, but didn't feel opening a new thread just for it.

Mielke tweeted this, you can use that as source. I'm on iPhone and hotlinking with it is a travesty...

I saw that too.

Let me help you. :p

http://twitter.com/#!/jamesmielke/status/77379876885233664

.@k_toyama [Found it!] #hanedaairport He's got a sweet game to show you all this E3.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
°°ToMmY°° said:

That's good news. Good that Sony will have more Japanese games to show off than just The Last Guardian (please?) and Hot Shots Golf. Hopefully Gravity Daze is there as well.

KAL2006

Banned
galian beast said:
I just hope we hear about more/better launch titles.

Sure I'll buy Uncharted, but I doubt everyone is interested in that, and it would be nice to have more than one quality title to play.

Most of the other titles seem like fodder.

I'm really looking forward to see what EA and/or Capcom have coming out for the NGP.

I disagree (not sure if all the following titles are launch)
Sound Shapes is a interesting and unique game, can create your own levels and download other peoples levels
Hotshots Golf will be great, and offer tons of replay value from online play
WipeOut 2048 is going to deliver like most WipeOut games do, it also has online and cross play with PS3
Uncharted is probably the showcase title for Vita, and we are lucky to get it for launch
Super Stardust Delta is going to be the quick time killer when I am in the bus
Hustle Kings, I personally am not interested in this, but for Billiard fans this is great, it also has online and cross play with PS3

And thats not even including 3rd parties

Though I agree LittleDeviants and Reality Fighters look uninteresting.

J-Rzez said:

I still can't figure out why people have almost the train of thought, "Great it's almost like a console, thus all console games on the go", without realizing that nothing is stopping it from having quick quirky portable games as well. It's whatever the market dictates most likely will get the higher volume made.

I always felt screen protectors reduce some of the light coming from the screen, at least when I used my psp outside. I dont have one on my 3DS though, but it seems bright enough to use at least in sunlight more so than PSP. I guess OLEDs are good for outside? If so then Ill get a protector I think.

If one wanted a quirky portable games, why they spend in excess of $199.98 for a system to do that?

I wonder how long until we hear Final Fantasy Type-1 announced for NGP.

Square Enix has really been resting on their laurels the last couple years.

JackFrost said:
Good stuff.

I hope they dont jam touch screen down our throats on this....
Couple little things I noticed.I hated the "customization" of HSG... All the better looking outfits dont give any +stats and its not really customization if everyone wearing exact outfits cause of these stats....wish you could use points to build up specific outfits. He did say 3G so that makes me happy. No manual cause you dont need one.....I dunno about that.
overall though this still my #1 game

I think the problem is that touch screen gaming is such a huge feature for people who aren't really hardcore gamers.

The casual gamer, younger kids, older gamers...

touch screen gaming allows for a large audience to pick up and play games. It's something that the PSP was completely missing, which I think really hurt them.

I would say I hope this doesn't dumb down games, but allows you to still use button controls, and that the touchscreen is optional.

Look how the dumbed down fighting games for anime related titles like DBZ and Naruto. They want people to be able to play the game within 5-10 minutes. They also want a wider audience.

galian beast said:
I think the problem is that touch screen gaming is such a huge feature for people who aren't really hardcore gamers.

The casual gamer, younger kids, older gamers...

touch screen gaming allows for a large audience to pick up and play games. It's something that the PSP was completely missing, which I think really hurt them.

I would say I hope this doesn't dumb down games, but allows you to still use button controls, and that the touchscreen is optional.

Look how the dumbed down fighting games for anime related titles like DBZ and Naruto. They want people to be able to play the game within 5-10 minutes. They also want a wider audience.

Naruto is not dumbed down, its complex and intense, each one by Cyberconnect 2.

yencid

i think games like hot shot golf and hustle kings are the kind of games that benefit from touchscreen (well at least for me)

EDIT: naruto for the psp (ninja heroes 1) was amazingly fun. i would take my psp to high school and fight. There where around 10 people fighting, even the nongamers of the school would play. hell even the girls would play to see if they could beat the boys, very competitive, very fun. And im not even a naruto fan.

yencid said:
i think games like hot shot golf and hustle kings are the kind of games that benefit from touchscreen (well at least for me)

EDIT: naruto for the psp (ninja storm 1) was amazingly fun. i would take my psp to high school and fight. There where around 10 people fighting, even the nongamers of the school would play. hell even the girls would play to see if they could beat the boys, very competitive, very fun. And im not even a naruto fan.

They are absolutely the type of game that benefits from a touchscreen. I love that the NGP is giving the developers a ton of options for gameplay. It seems Sony really took the limitations of the psp to heart.

Dedication Through Light said:
Naruto is not dumbed down, its complex and intense, each one by Cyberconnect 2.

every character has the same button scheme. Its a very simple one, with few controls to remember.

Not saying anything bad about the game, but its not made like more complex fighters.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Lumines hinting on the Twitter lately, from Mielke and Q Entertainment, has been crazy obvious. Unless I'm totally misreading it.

Takao

Banned
Wanna talk complex anime based fighting games:

Super_Dragon_Ball_Z_Coverart.png

It's so deep that people are still learning new things about its fighting system 7 years after release. Not that surprising, since it's made largely by staff who created Street Fighter games (then again, most Dragon Ball video games do have staff who've worked on Street Fighter). Of course it sold like crap, and was ignored by fighting game fans because apparently Dragon Ball is too outrageous of a world to play a game in.

As well, we know Q has NGP devkits, and hinted at the possibility of having another launch game ala Lumines.

TheExecutive said:
They are absolutely the type of game that benefits from a touchscreen. I love that the NGP is giving the developers a ton of options for gameplay. It seems Sony really took the limitations of the psp to heart.

Thats exactly what I think theyre doing. We'll find out tomorrow though if they took price to heart.

If they put all the necessary elements they will really deliver a great system. I feel as though the PSP was really gimped despite how powerful it was considered when it came out.

It was 2004 and yet it still couldn't reach PS2 standards, which I feel most people consider a golden standard.

The NGP will pass that standard and come near enough to the PS3.

Some PSP games reminded me of PS1 games in their jaggedness. It was almost like the more they tried the more they failed. Some games looked beautiful though, but you couldn't help but think with the vast majority of console like titles, that you were playing a gimped version.

Truth is the PSP couldn't even properly emulate all PS1 titles simple due to the controls. That extra touchpad if it can act as L2/R2 in tandem with on screen touch controls perhaps we can get beyond those missing buttons, which honestly we don't use TOO often, but the complete lack of controls do create problems.

yencid

galian beast said:
every character has the same button scheme. Its a very simple one, with few controls to remember.

Not saying anything bad about the game, but its not made like more complex fighters.
which naruto are we talking about? the psp or the ps3 ones?

the psp ones *again, ninja heroes 1* are very much different when it comes to characters.

(unique moves i mean, its still a fairly simple game but every character has their own style)

Top Bottom