• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Kinect-Like 3D Depth-Sensing Camera for PlayStation Consoles

DarkChild

Banned
Interesting...I have a feeling we're going to have more than causal next gen :)

It’s no secret that the Kinect is outselling the PlayStation Move by quite a fair margin, so Sony may be looking to come out with their own Kinect competitor that can actually sense depth and track subtle movements where the PS Eye cannot. A newly published patent has revealed that the company has begun work on a new 3D camera that could potentially be a part of the PlayStation 4.

Only just published, what’s most interesting about the patent is that is was originally filed last October – a full year after the Kinect launched and broke Guinness World Records for sales. Sony previously admitted they had looked into 3D cameras long before the Kinect was a reality, but decided against it in favor of a button-based peripheral – the PS Move. However, now that Move and PS Eye-creator Dr Richard Marks has published the new patent, it does certainly suggest that the company has once again started to look into such a system.

More at...
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...Depth-Sensing-Camera-for-PlayStation-Consoles

(can't link original source)

Globox_82

Banned
It nice to see people forget that sony created EyeToy, you know just like Kinect but much worse. Short translation same shit different package.

Web cameras where before EyeToy

Web cameras didn't have this:
EyeToy_Kinetic.jpg

Man, my TV is going to start looking like this:

sega-tower-of-power.jpg

with all the stupid gimmick add-ons that are going to be standard across all platforms and each are proprietary.

NeoGohan

Banned
they've actually had those patents for a few years now lol

They have like 2 different patents relating to something similar to Wii U that were done prior to E3.

everyone has patents.

there is a big difference between a patent and actually DOING IT

Hyuga

Banned
So it's "KINECT-like" instead of "upgrading their PlayStation Eye(-Toy) which they already have since the PS2 era"?

I couldn't care less who did what first, if Sony can "do kinect" better than Kinect, more power to them. However, I want Sony to innovate in some way for the next gen. Right now I'm not seeing it.

Takao

Banned
everyone has patents.

there is a big difference between a patent and actually DOING IT

I know that, dude was just joking on how long it would take Sony to file Wii U copycat patents. I was just making a point that they filed similar patents before Wii U was revealed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't want Kinect in any of my consoles. Sony please stop copying other companies.

It will never be just that. Kinect-like functionalities would actually enhance the Move possibilities as they provide extra information about player absolute position/distance/orientation so you don't have to guess that via Move tracking. ie Move alone can't tell the difference between moving to the side or just extending the arm to the side. Or between moving forward or extending your arm forward.

I see this as an upgrade of the "PS Eye-side" of the whole Move set up.

Afrikan

Well it didn't seem worth it for them to invest in that type of camera before....it worked out for Microsoft, which probebly resulted in Sony taking a second look....just because parts and software is probebly way cheaper now.

So next gen both motion setups will be similar, huh?

Kinect 2 will have a move like controller as an option.

PSEYE 2 will have a 3D camera, which will still work with older move controllers.

Alx

So it's "KINECT-like" instead of "upgrading their PlayStation Eye(-Toy) which they already have since the PS2 era"?

Why, yes, since a depth camera is a different technology from a regular 2D camera, and kinect is currently the reference in the matter.
Going from Eyetoy to PSEye/Move is an upgrade, going from 2D camera to 3D camera is a technology shift.

If they are really doing this, it better be as good as the next-gen Kinect's implementation and come bundled with the system, or else it will just be another unsupported accessory by the developers.

Even though I am not a fan of motion-gaming, I am interested in passive detection where the game changes based off of my facial expression or gestures without explicitly letting me know that I am affecting game. Combine that with some sort of vitality sensor implementation that I recall Sony also patented and it could make for some interesting experiences.

V_Ben

Banned
Sounds like the next generation of PSEye to me. If you're going to make a camera for your next gen system, you'd be mad to not put some kind of Kinect-esque functionality in there.

KAL2006

Banned
If they are really doing this, it better be as good as the next-gen Kinect's implementation and come bundled with the system, or else it will just be another unsupported accessory by the developers.

Exactly, whether Sony have Move or Kinect for PS4, or both, they better bundle it with the system, if they want developers to support the hardware. For example I think Move and Motion+ had so much potential, but we only seen a few interesting titles like Sports Champions and Red Steel 2.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds like the next generation of PSEye to me. If you're going to make a camera for your next gen system, you'd be mad to not put some kind of Kinect-esque functionality in there.

This. Eye is good, but make it like Kinect and its that much better. And combine it with Move and the navigation controller and you can a much better system.

Agent X

..or Move gets a beefier camera and it'll be the best of both worlds?

Nah. Combine Move and Kinect and you have the best of both worlds.

Yes, exactly. I even remember reading interviews with the designers of Move who admitted that there were some good ideas behind Kinect, but that it was ultimately an "incomplete" solution for gaming, and that you still need to have a physical controller with buttons for certain functions.

It will never be just that. Kinect-like functionalities would actually enhance the Move possibilities as they provide extra information about player absolute position/distance/orientation so you don't have to guess that via Move tracking. ie Move alone can't tell the difference between moving to the side or just extending the arm to the side. Or between moving forward or extending your arm forward.

I see this as an upgrade of the "PS Eye-side" of the whole Move set up.

That's a great way of describing the relationship between the camera and the motion controller.

Top Bottom