• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Playstation Network Is Unprofitable

jonnybryce said:
Annihilation!

Nothing but dust remains.

The funny part is people see what they want to see, even if its largely delusional fantasy.

A lot of people simply would find it more "fun" if Kaz made some kind of statement saying "boo hoo boo hoo we are failing".

Even thought the original article says NOTHING of the kind about PSN profitability.

DOUBTERS? Go ahead google translate the original article. It will be a jumbled translation mess but it supports what I said. 11 year plan to profit for worldwide services, each phase of business keeps them in red while starting business.

Gen X said:
Be interesting to know how many DD full games have sold on XBL since they introduced them. Everytime I've seen the prices they are generally quite a difference in price from the retail versions. I understand they don't want to piss off the retailers by having cheaper prices.

But they should be cheaper. First let me say I'm not a fan of DD at all. That said though, if you're going to take away the costs of packaging, the cost of physically making a disc, the cost of shipping said product, and take away my ability to resell the product or lend it to some one, then you SURE AS FUCKING SHIT better charge me less for it. I remember when I wanted to finally pick up Assassin's Creed, it was new at Walmart for 20 bucks, and 30 bucks on XBL. That is just asinine to me.

Shin Johnpv said:
But they should be cheaper. First let me say I'm not a fan of DD at all. That said though, if you're going to take away the costs of packaging, the cost of physically making a disc, the cost of shipping said product, and take away my ability to resell the product or lend it to some one, then you SURE AS FUCKING SHIT better charge me less for it. I remember when I wanted to finally pick up Assassin's Creed, it was new at Walmart for 20 bucks, and 30 bucks on XBL. That is just asinine to me.

Agreed. Especially since on 360 you can fully install retail games and get the main benefit of the downloadable version.

snap0212

H_Prestige said:
Agreed. Especially since on 360 you can fully install retail games and get the main benefit of the downloadable version.
The main benefit is that you don't have to swap discs, though.

spwolf said:
i am more interested in their projections - 8x more revenue in 3 years? that has to mean a lot more full games available on PSN, i dont know how else they could raise the numbers so much.

I'll take a guess:

- More PSOne classics (Chrono just released in Japan, Front Mission 3 in the US, there are still a lot more classics that can/should come eventually)
- More game archives (Neo Geo just released, PC Engine should follow, Dreamcast is there - where's my Dreamcast storefront btw?)
- PSTwo classics are coming, I'd venture it'll be a mix of HD ports and just ports if/when it's not feasible to HD port it. Hopefully it'll have a storefront.
- PS3 titles, we have gotten more full retail PS3 games since PSN+ launched then we ever did before, I'm hoping that trend continues as I'd buy LBP and GTAIV if they ever put it up on US PSN
- More PSN only titles (obviously) including possible ports of famous XBL/WW/Steam only games.
- SOE got moved under SCE last year, so one think they might, and probably should, be doing is getting rid of Station and putting it under PSN infrastructure. Having all those Everquest, Everquest 2, soon to have DCUO, Agency, Free Realms, Everquest Next, PlanetSide Next, etc revenue from PC and PS3 subscriptions will surely be a cash cow.
- Qriocity is what they're really talking about here though, they are not just talking about PSN IMO. I'm guessing it'll be available on android, iphone, and other non Sony devices by 2012, so I take it they expect a lot of new paying customers and subscribers.

H_Prestige said:
I am baffled why Sony doesn't have more ps3 games on psn. MS has a bunch already on xbl.

They started it back in 2007 and then didn't put up anything until now, it was weird, but I think we'll see it more often, I'm hoping Dead Space and LBP will be put up on the Store early next year before their sequels are released. The good news is Activision (Prototype), Take 2(Borderlands), Ubisoft (AC, Rainbow Six 2 in EU), SCE (MAG, LBP in EU), SE (TRU) have all released PS3 games in the past 3, 4 months, I think EA is not opposed to it since they have done it before as well (Burnout, NFL Head Coach).

UntoldDreams said:
QRIOCITY for example is a HUGE undertaking. Larger than PSN gaming probably since it encompasses Music & Video both and that is NOT the PSN network infrastructure but a new setup.

I might be wrong, but I think Qriocity will have more than just Music and Video on demand. Ebooks and Comics will be integrated into it too, I believe.

yencid

AranhaHunter said:
They started it back in 2007 and then didn't put up anything until now, it was weird, but I think we'll see it more often, I'm hoping Dead Space and LBP will be put up on the Store early next year before their sequels are released. The good news is Activision (Prototype), Take 2(Borderlands), Ubisoft (AC, Rainbow Six 2 in EU), SCE (MAG, LBP in EU), SE (TRU) have all released PS3 games in the past 3, 4 months, I think EA is not opposed to it since they have done it before as well (Burnout, NFL Head Coach).
They released 5 just this month if you count PS2 HD ports

Mag
Borderlands
Prototype
prince of persia 2 & 3

yencid said:
They released 5 just this month if you count PS2 HD ports

Mag
Borderlands
Prototype
prince of persia 2 & 3

They are still just old games though. Sony needs to start putting up new releases day and date with retail.

Majine

Banned
H_Prestige said:
They are still just old games though. Sony needs to start putting up new releases day and date with retail.
I think Gamestop and alike have something to say about that.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Gadfly said:
What I found very surprising about this turn of event was that even though a lot of people complained about losing backward compatibility (when it eventually happened), few complained about Sony coming across as being hypocrites when back in 2006 they listed this as a big advantage for PS3 and ridiculed Microsoft every chance they got for lack of complete backward compatibility.

What this tells me is that if Sony ever decides to charge for on-line play, a lot of people will complain but few will remember how Sony every opportunity they got touted free on-line as the reason to get a PS3.

Sony did the same thing with their deafening proclamations about the importance of 1080p display output, even though

a) virtually no PS3 games (aside from some notable PSN examples) actually render at 1080
b) the 360 got 1080p output via free update shortly thereafter, and probably has nearly as many 1080p games by now (also a tiny number)

Both consoles have plenty of positives and negatives, but Sony's marketing with respect to their product offering has always seemed a little desperate to me, which is probably a consequence of the console's feature set being in an ongoing state of catch-up since it launched.

Durante

rudds said:
Sony did the same thing with their deafening proclamations about the importance of 1080p display output
At least they didn't claim that all games would be 1080p minimum.

(MS once postulated a 720p with AA minimum for the 360. Of course that was before releasing flagship titles in sub-HD without AA)

PSN may not be profitable, but all those consoles and all that software you sell because it's free are very profitable, so deal with it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mr_Brit said:
Edit: I think if Sony/MS offer a service with the perks of steam and the tight unification/integration for $30 a year next generation that they've got a winner as it gives people the best of PC gaming and Xbox live for a reasonable price which Sony have proven they need as you can't run a major unified network for free and expect profit.
Dedicated Servers? Nope.

-viper- said:
I don't even know why everyone wants other users to have mics. The first thing I do in any game is disable all voice communication. 99% of people who play games are fucking annoying. Instead I use Skype to talk to my friends when playing.

When online gaming is working well, and people (even strangers) are communicating - many games/genres became a lot more satisfying. While both XBL and PSN have issues regarding this - PSN struggles with it a lot more.

Banned
Tylahedras said:
PSN may not be profitable, but all those consoles and all that software you sell because it's free are very profitable, so deal with it.

No it isnt. Sonys game division has lost over 4 Billion dollars since 2007.

FLEABttn said:
If you're going to pay for online gaming, and you're going to use the "it's improved" argument, the online gaming needs to have improved. Leaving recorded messages and cross game invites aren't $30 per year in improvements, and paid peer to peer gaming is a backwards step.

I mean, shit, it's not like cross game invites didn't exist back in 2000. It was called AIM and it was called alt-tab.

:lol :lol I think there's just a fundamental disconnect between old PC gamers and new gen cnosole gamers. I remember playing shit loads of UT3 and Counter Strike online for free. I paid for XBL for about 2 years, but I cancelled it and I really don't mss it. I can't ever see myself paying for MP ever again. I'll just go back to the PC if that ever happens.

Piggus

McLovin said:
PSN has come a long way. Its pretty close to what the 360 offers, minus a few features.

I agree. I'm not renewing my Live subscription until some really good deal comes up. The fact that they charge AND plaster the dashboard with stupid ads is just bullshit. I haven't used any Live features that I can't already do on my PS3 for free.

demos demos demos!!!!!

minis and PSN games that do not have demos are not gonna get my instant money!!!
I will wait for others for their impressions before buying

Atomski

Shin Johnpv said:

So 3 or 4 dollars off? :lol Stuff being mass produced and mass shipped. The individual price of a single game is not so much. The price is mostly based on the content of the disk and the console tax (why most pc games are cheaper). This is what I find so funny about people clinging on to physical media.. your really just holding maybe 75 cents worth of material.

But you are right about them not keeping equal with retail prices. If it is cheaper to buy a game new retail then something is wrong.

tzare

Bumblebeetuna said:
Sega Dreamcast in 2000 had SegaNet which was $10 a MONTH.

If Sony wants to make PSN profitable, get a team to design it to be as fun and easy to use as Live and then charge for it, plain and simple. If PSN was anywhere near as good as Live then I would pay for it, even if paying for it does make every elitist tard on GAF cry.
the only elitist tards i see are those trying to justify a fee that allows them to get to an invite with two button presses instead of 4 and need to downplay PSN as it was something like friend codes :lol

I see almost nobody saying tan PSN is the better service. They say that is a nice service that is free and does what it was meant to be very well: buying games and playing online.

tzare said:
the only elitist tards i see are those trying to justify a fee that allows them to get to an invite with two button presses instead of 4 and need to downplay PSN as it was something like friend codes :lol

I see almost nobody saying tan PSN is the better service. They say that is a nice service that is free and does what it was meant to be very well: buying games and playing online.

i agree. nobody has to worry about locked away online gaming while buying a game on their PS3. buy a game, log in and play. no additional fees. i'm glad not every market in the world sees those fees as an acceptable practice.

BARKSTAR said:
I've always preferred the PS3 set up to the XBOX 360. The new menu system that came along to accompany the release of Kinect I think is even worse than the one before it.

You would be wrong. Here is a tale of woe...

I just wanted to buy Joe Danger. I first found the icon for it which took me to DLC for it but not the actual game (why they are seperate I can't tell you). Then you have to find the actual game hidden somewhere. I searched in Games of course, and it wasn't there. It was hiding under the PS3 tab (because PS3 games are not games or something).

Then when you buy it it tells me my credit card info is old..fair enough, but you have to leave the store to update the credit card info on the dash which is another pain. I do that succesfully, go back to the store find the game again, buy it and then that awful screen pops up where you are buying the trial and the unlock key confusing the issue. It then seemed like the tiny 64k download key went quick but then these two download bars come up for some reason and it was a damn horserace to see what non labelled bar finished first.

Finally I get the game but I have to back out the store again to start it because you can't play it from the message saying it is ready to play. So I start it up and try to play it and it says there is an update for it! WTF, I just bought a digital download game. The most recent version of it should be what the store is carrying not a non patched vanilla one.

jett

D-Member
tzare said:

And that's really all that matters.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not to mention the $10 extra these current gen games cost (that's extra $ in Sony's/MS's pocket). That should have covered whatever online fee for the respective manufacturers.

Warm Machine said:
You would be wrong. Here is a tale of woe...

I just wanted to buy Joe Danger. I first found the icon for it which took me to DLC for it but not the actual game (why they are seperate I can't tell you). Then you have to find the actual game hidden somewhere. I searched in Games of course, and it wasn't there. It was hiding under the PS3 tab (because PS3 games are not games or something).

Then when you buy it it tells me my credit card info is old..fair enough, but you have to leave the store to update the credit card info on the dash which is another pain. I do that succesfully, go back to the store find the game again, buy it and then that awful screen pops up where you are buying the trial and the unlock key confusing the issue. It then seemed like the tiny 64k download key went quick but then these two download bars come up for some reason and it was a damn horserace to see what non labelled bar finished first.

Finally I get the game but I have to back out the store again to start it because you can't play it from the message saying it is ready to play. So I start it up and try to play it and it says there is an update for it! WTF, I just bought a digital download game. The most recent version of it should be what the store is carrying not a non patched vanilla one.

- There's a search button
- Old credit card info is your fault
- Updates aren't mandatory

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
Not to mention the $10 extra these current gen games cost (that's extra $ in Sony's/MS's pocket). That should have covered whatever online fee for the respective manufacturers.

I wonder exactly what costs is Microsoft incurring from online play, because that's literally the only difference between Silver and Gold, isn't it? P2P online play. Nevermind that XBL is inundated with ads up your ass.

Metalmurphy said:

If I find Joe Danger I expect to see everything to do with Joe Danger, not fragments of it. DLC, media, and the Game itself should all take up the same place on the store.

I admit to the old credit card in my post, but backing out of the store is a terrible way to fix it.

Who doesn't want the most up to date version of the game they are buying?

I'm not the first person to point out that the entirety of PSN is a shambles of unconnected applications.

Sony needs to learn from Apple and build Services, UIs, and OS's for their gear that make sense and have a semblance of connectivity

Metalmurphy said:

+ background downloading (there are people NOT clicking this? Do you enjoy staring at the store for some time?). Pro-tip: If you don't like installing multiple downloads, choose the download before shut-down option which also installs all the stuff.
+ depending on the developer, games in the PS Store ARE already the updated versions.

btw your next quest is removing your cc data from your XBL profile, auto-renew ON

edit: ok, sorry but I have no idea how you had problems finding the game.

- full text search button > input "Joe Danger": Full game is the 7th result (first is the demo, then the trailer and DLC)
- "View all by title" tab > "J" > "Joe Danger": every item of Joe Danger available on the Store (including trailer and so on)
- "Games" tab > "PS3 Games" (btw, I guess you read it wrong and you clicked "Newest Games" first, of course it's not there) > "H-L" > Joe Danger full game

not sure how you found the DLC first, but I guess you went to "New Releases" tab > "New Joe Danger releases" (109th position as this is stuff from 3 weeks ago, please tell me I'm wrong and you didn't try to find it like this).
Even then, click the newest DLC and then choose "You May Like" by going to the right and there is a direct link to the full game.

RedStep

Jtyettis said:
Yea something seems very wrong with this math. Not sure how they could get anywhere close to that in two years with MS somewhere over a $1 billion with the subs and sales this year.

VVMf5.gif

GQman2121

Banned
I think the one major step for the service will be getting their huge library of PS2 games to download, to not only the PS3, but the PSP2. If that doesn't happen or hasn't been discussed yet, then they're fucking stupid, and deserve to stay in third place.

Top Bottom