• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

Remember that little snippet about the PlayStation Store getting a “new look”? It’s here, if you want to refresh your memory. Well, it was all (naturally) true, and at a special press reveal this morning in London – Sony are currently showing it off to us.

Many PlayStation owners have (rightly) voiced their opinions on the current PSN Store – it’s a little confusing, it’s hard to find what you’re looking for and it’s generally quite slow, with some icons and sections failing to load completely.

The new store, which is apparently coming very soon (there’s PSN maintenance on Monday, which might be pertinent…) takes lots of comments and feedback on board, and aims to create a massively improved experience for everyone.

screenshot_17j5roa.jpg

screenshot_7-copyo1p4y.jpg

screenshot_18-copygnrww.jpg

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/10/11/sony-reveals-new-playstation-store/

lock/close if old

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is it just a SCEE thing or will it be rolled out across regions? I wonder because the different regions seem to manage these things themselves.

AHA-Lambda

It certainly looks better but the proof will be in the pudding it if it is laid out any better, faster or has a more elegant solution to looking through your download history.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on a web store too =/

And I'm sure SCEE will still be just as hopelessly incompetent as always :(

slider

Long overdue in my opinion. At first blush it seems... good.

My problems with the current UI are the various sub-sections leading to frustration, confusion and, eventually, tears.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
I wonder because the different regions seem to manage these things themselves.
Regions manage content and skins - but there's only one studio/team handling the store software (located in US).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This looks really good, IMO. Looks easier to navigate and hopefully, the banners will advertise the store's content in a much better way than the current set up. +1 like from me.

All they have to do is to make sure that EVERY game has screenshots or a trailer. That's the only thing I'd wish they focus on.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Looks good.

Now if it also includes a sorted download history view, it'll be useful too.
And a web interface so I can browse and buy things from my PC that will automatically download on my PS3. Imagine being at work when the store updates and being able to start the downloads on your PS3 at home so they're ready when you get home.

Shiloa

Well, I don't like it.

I have no problems at all with the look of the current PS Store. It's the download list and, stupid and incompetent sorting (see image above), lack of proper previews (even if they have them, they are awful), lack of details (size, format etc) that are the problem.

Korigama

Too much like 360's UI. Echoing the sentiments of missing the blue and having had more problems with the speed in the past than anything else.

I can't trust them to make it good. These are the same people that have had this for the past three weeks on multiple pages:

That's intentional. They did that to fix the problem of invisible tiles. Each of those is like a new folder and had different stuff.

Looks confusing at first glance, but will probably be functional once you "understand" the layout. Not sure why they don't just wait until PS4, doesn't make much sense to me to redesign it this late in the cycle.

OMG Aero

Hopefully this fixes the occasional problem of having to wait upwards of 5 seconds for button presses to even register.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fuzzy said:
And a web interface so I can browse and buy things from my PC that will automatically download on my PS3.
That'd be lovely. A store-page(or web) where I can view and manage a list of my purchases would be a godsend too (something sortable/organized that bundles DLC by products etc. not the god-awful download-list - with filters for different machines too please).

I mean aside for usefulness of it - how many people "don't" like to be able to view their entire library? It's one of defining features Steam holds over Consoles right now.

slider

I was trying to compile a list of all the sections and sub-sections they'd need...

Latest/new this week
PS+
Demos
Add-ons
minis
PS1
PS2
PSP
Vita
PS3/demos/add ons/full games
Search

Anything I'm missing? I'm sure there is but I'll still say it... based on that list it shouldn't be that difficult! And I'd absolutely be all for form following function...

Goldrusher

screenshot_17j5roa.jpg

screenshot_7-copyo1p4y.jpg

screenshot_18-copygnrww.jpg

I really like that last one.
It's close to what I suggested a while back, a page for each game, where it groups together everything related to that game.

In a guided tour of the store, Dumville showed-off grouped content, which brings together all content for any given title in one place, with links to demos, full games, DLC and themes.
Searching for Black Ops, for example, shows related screen shots, links to a demo and provides recommendations for other Call of Duty content.

There's also a better search feature, as well as more filters, such as "by price", which was needed badly:
The search function is now smart, so provides a reductive list of options as each letter of the search phrase is typed. Abbreviations and mis-spellings will also be covered, allowing users to search for MW3 or Mas Efect.
Filtering has also been improved, filtering is now possible by content type, but also by price and even by peripheral support.

Definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Cipherr

Goddamnit!

Someone post that stupid Dolan Duck comic where he walks into a building then walks back out empty handed.

Make the caption: "Everything was Metro".

Getting sick of everyone copying that style, I absolutely hate it.

I never got the complaints. Sure the current store interface is far from being a perfect interface. But compared to the 360 store post Metro update it's a godsend.

This looks like Metro.

nickcv

looks good! can't wait to try this out.

the current store is among the worst e-commerce i've ever used (user experience-wise)

FinalD

I can't trust them to make it good. These are the same people that have had this for the past three weeks on multiple pages:

From what I understand from the blog comments is that this was a quick fix to make sure all content would be available; they had some trouble with displaying lots of PS+ content in a single folder. Obviously they don't want to put too much effort into the old store since the new one is about to launch.

Anyway; new store looks good I guess. Hopefully I can search my downloads now. Last week I needed to redownload some Rock Band export packs not available in the store, having to go through my 1000+ downloads -_-'

Majine

Banned
I like it, but I hope they are also re-archiving stuff because the current system of how content is sorted is retarded.

Top Bottom