• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Rewarding you for getting the Platinum now

xrnzaaas

Sony should allow us to use trophy images as avatars. It's such a shame they haven't implemented this feature yet.

I don't think that's possible. The avatars of other players are downloaded from Sony's servers when you check the friends list (they're not stored on your system permanently). This means the servers would get smashed if they had to manage tens of thousands of different ones.

Also some trophy images are more or less NSFW (or feature mature content of some sort) so someone would have to manage that.

I've only got the 5 platinums. 2 only recently. No emails and expect I won't get any since I never get emails unless to confirm I've added funds or bought something.

RocknRola

I got zero emails about platinums despite having some 15 or 16 (including HZD) because there is apparently an issue with their mailing system. I get confirmation on payments/purchases and nothing else really. :(

Devil

I seem to not get any emails by Sony in general for whatever reason (except payments), so I'd have no hopes myself to ever get such an reward.

I don't think that's possible. The avatars of other players are downloaded from Sony's servers when you check the friends list (they're not stored on your system permanently). This means the servers would get smashed if they had to manage tens of thousands of different ones.

Also some trophy images are more or less NSFW (or feature mature content of some sort) so someone would have to manage that.

Seriously doubt this is a technical limitation, trophylist syncing does the same anyways?

And they are not any more NSFW than those boobie cartoon avatars some companies push to the store every week.

LeFAIS

At this point I think its the psn accountd that are broken. I swapped emails between two accounts and the email that never recieved anything started having emails flying in. Meanwhile the other email stopped cold turkey

Yeah it's that probably, I've changed my email a ton of times and never got anything besides purchase confirmations. It's quite annoying really.

g11

It must be some opt in thing I never opted in for. 84 Platinums (including Bloodborne and Horizon) and I never got diddly.

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm italian and I've recived both Horizon and BB themes.
You have to check if you have agreed to recive e mail of advertise from Sony.

If you are not getting any emails for your platinum trophies you might have to enable promotional emails from sony. I got the Bloodborne platinum a few months ago but as soon as I enable promotional emails I received an email with the theme. Check you account setting to see if you have it enabled.

Make no sense that this is tied to this setting. This is not promotional, it's a reward! Grr, Sony, why.

Ive never platinumd anything.
Dont plan to until shit gets permanent rewards.
I have no interest in showing off virtual trophies that tell the world how much free time i have

Melchiah

If you are not getting any emails for your platinum trophies you might have to enable promotional emails from sony. I got the Bloodborne platinum a few months ago but as soon as I enable promotional emails I received an email with the theme. Check you account setting to see if you have it enabled.

I'm italian and I've recived both Horizon and BB themes.
You have to check if you have agreed to recive e mail of advertise from Sony.

I have them enabled, and I've gotten the Bloodborne theme, but still nothing for Horizon after platinuming it on the 6th of April.

Ouroboros

They should do this more for games. Unlock avatar pics or themes. I'd be more interested in getting platinum for the games I really enjoy.

This is what I am talking about!

This will get me to care about trophies and bring some real value to the games. Less DLC more free stuff.

datamage

If this was a thing for every game from day one, I'd actually have incentive to get trophies. As it stands, I have no incentive.

This was my thought since the release of the Xbox 360. Would have been nice for achievements/trophies to actually reward you with something. Then I might care.

laxu

I got zero emails about platinums despite having some 15 or 16 (including HZD) because there is apparently an issue with their mailing system. I get confirmation on payments/purchases and nothing else really. :(

You need to be subscribed to their newsletter spam to get the platinum rewards. I know, really annoying.

I've got platinum for HZD and Bloodborne but honestly the themes for either are not THAT great. I wish a bit more effort was spent on the Platinum themes so they would feel that extra bit special and worth playing for.

Kyoufu

You need to be subscribed to their newsletter spam to get the platinum rewards. I know, really annoying.

I've got platinum for HZD and Bloodborne but honestly the themes for either are not THAT great. I wish a bit more effort was spent on the Platinum themes so they would feel that extra bit special and worth playing for.

But I get emails for their newsletter but not for the platinum theme rewards.

Riddle me that!

tsab

Congrats OP! free stuff is always nice! :3
I haven't unlocked any Platinum yet, I was close with Heavy Rain back in the PS3 day but got tired.

Also Sony asking you to share your Platinum trophy reminded me this, which is kinda funny :p

Xbawks2.jpg

Orpheum

okay i have 2 platinums....Bloodborne and Shadow of mordor...didn't receive an e-mail. Reading this thread though, i might return to Horizon to get this theme, it's pretty neat

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I have 30 platinums myself, with Horizon being #31 pretty soon. Honestly, these little rewards are nice, but not to sound lame but i don't platinum games for any type of reward. For me, i enjoy the challenge of doing it and the satisfaction of getting it done.....and that's with not nearly enough free time as i'd love to have to game. Which to me, makes the achievement even more rewarding to me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's really great of them. I think trophies should've always had some kind of monetizing value where earning enough gets you 'credit' towards add-ons for that game. themes and avatar are a good start though.

ShyMel

Two or three months ago I received an email congratulating me on getting the plat for Infamous Second Son. I had gotten that plat back in August of 2015, so who knows when I'll get the Horizon email.

RedAssedApe

Banned
More games should do this. I remember a time when I though these type of rewards were going to become the norm.

I remember that a few games would reward you with free avatar items when you popped certain achievements on Xbox 360. Alas...

Falchion

I got the Horizon emails and was able to redeem the avatar, but the theme's code expired before the game even released so I'm not sure what happened there.

Kilau

So if you don't get the newsletter for whatever sony reason you probably won't get these either.

At least I haven't, 170 something plats and no emails.

Top Bottom