• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony shares rally on hopes it could see the best profit in 20 years

samar11

This is really good to hear, I remember during the ps3 days the entire company was losing a ton of money. Some were even saying they wouldn't last this long.

On Friday after the market close, Sony raised its earnings outlook for the fiscal year ended March 31. It said operating income would be 285 billion yen ($2.6 billion), up from a previous forecast of 240 billion yen. Pre-tax profit is expected to come in at 250 billion yen, up from February's forecast of 196 billion yen.

Article link
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/24/sony-shares-earnings-guidance-forecast.html

I dont have any shares but a healthy Sony means PlayStation brand will continue existing :D

The movie division needs to be set straight, but Sony has had a great comeback the past few years overall.

Mobile & Movies were Kaz's fail-points.

Doubly so for mobile since it was one of his big 3 pillars that he hoped Sony could become a core business, but unfortunately we know what happened with Xperia... =(

Iacobellis

The movie division needs to be set straight, but Sony has had a great comeback the past few years overall.

Right, especially in the camera division. Their Alpha line is quickly growing and has pretty much become a third option among Canon and Nikon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Everytime there is a thread like this, we have to pull out that old thread predicting what the big 3 would be like this gen from last gen

samar11

Everytime there is a thread like this, we have to pull out that old thread predicting what the big 3 would be like this gen from last gen

Can't find the thread but I remember people saying there wouldn't be a PS4 because Sony wouldn't be around.

Trojan

Mobile & Movies were Kaz's fail-points.

Doubly so for mobile since it was one of his big 3 pillars that he hoped Sony could become a core business, but unfortunately we know what happened with Xperia... =(

In fairness, there's a long line of once-prestigious companies that have been dunked on from mobile ventures. Microsoft, Amazon, Yahoo, Motorola, HTC, the list goes on. It's an extremely tough market to crack unless you're focusing only on software that is not an operating system named iOS or Android.

EDIT: Forgot to add Amazon to list of mobile's sacrifices

They're have try to do something with them. Kaz has to see them as a money drain.

Then again, I think Smurfs is doing decent.

Spider-man: Homecoming will do amazing figures

Edit: plus the Spider-man game. Actually, Spider-man, Horizon, Uncharted, TLOU... they have some heavy hitters now. I see all these doing 7-10 million+. That crazy when you actually think about it.

18dwfvh3dp9ejgif.gif

amn36.gif

Futureman

In fairness, there's a long line of once-prestigious companies that have been dunked on from mobile ventures. Microsoft, Yahoo, Motorola, HTC, the list goes on. It's an extremely tough market to crack unless you're focusing only on software that is not an operating system named iOS or Android.

I hope MS can do something with a Surface Phone. Would be cool to have 3 viable options. Even if they could just get around 15% marketshare they would get most of the big apps.

Sony should scrap their cell phones lines and just launch one flagship phone.

Their movies keep bombing though :

I say it every quarter: They need to let both the movie business go and their phone business. Spin them off and sell them. Others can probably manage them better anyway.
For too long Sony has been a hydra whose own heads try to bite each other off.

I say it every quarter: They need to let both the movie business go and their phone business. Spin them off and sell them. Others can probably manage them better anyway.

They've at least seemed to finally get their budgets under control. So, it at least seems like recent movies have been making some money even though they don't have any mega hits.

Trojan

I hope MS can do something with a Surface Phone. Would be cool to have 3 viable options. Even if they could just get around 15% marketshare they would get most of the big apps.

Agreed, it would be good to have a third OS competitor that's tied to a great piece of hardware. I believe Windows Phone topped out around 5% market share. The app ecosystem is a huge hurdle and there are only a few companies the size of MS that can go head-to-head against Google/Apple and make a dent.

Dan_in_Japan

Neo Member
Grim thought, but I wonder if the market is starting to price in a potential North Korean war and it impacting Samsung going forward.

AmuroChan

It's been impressive to see the turnaround that Sony has made in the past few years.
I remembered reading articles that there's a good chance Sony could go bankrupt in two years, and that was from a couple years ago. Fixing their film division will be a tough nut to crack for Kaz though, as they don't own that many valuable film IPs, compared to the other major studios.

Yjynx

Err hell no. Previouly Mobile division was one of the star performer and Gaming+TV division was the one that people wish to sell.... Look at it now.

Selling movie division are wet fanboy dream for a lot of hidden reason. Not gonna happen. James Bond and Spiderman universe going to make them lots of Money. And Kaz is personally involved in the restructure of Movie division nowadays.

duckroll

"The primary reasons for the upward revision in the segments that are anticipated to improve are expected decreases in amortization of deferred insurance acquisition costs and other costs in the Financial Services segment and lower costs than anticipated in February in the other segments, particularly Semiconductors."

Doesn't sound like the upward revision has much, if anything, to do with gaming?

D.Lo

Can't find the thread but I remember people saying there wouldn't be a PS4 because Sony wouldn't be around.
PS3 lost billions. We can never know how much because the whole profitable tail of the PS2 (and PSP) was buried in PS3 losses. It's not about the company health, it's about shareholders telling them to kill unprofitable ventures. PS4 has now made money, they made a bunch of better moves (and both MS and Nintendo made the stupidest possible moves), but another PS3 type money pit would have been the end of it, so that perspective five years ago would not have been stupid.

"The primary reasons for the upward revision in the segments that are anticipated to improve are expected decreases in amortization of deferred insurance acquisition costs and other costs in the Financial Services segment and lower costs than anticipated in February in the other segments, particularly Semiconductors."

Doesn't sound like the upward revision has much, if anything, to do with gaming?
Some investor said a few years ago Sony were a great insurance/finance company with unprofitable electronics and movie arms dragging them down.

It's too bad about the mobile division. I really liked the Xperia Z line. My OG Xperia Z is still working fine after 4 years when several newer phones from other manufacturers have bit the dust.

Still, good to see them really making a comeback in cameras and TVs. The Sony 4K TVs provide great bang for buck, easily the best in their price range.

I'm glad I bought a shitload of SNE ADR when it was ~9 bucks a share. Now, if they could only dump SPE and either dump or reduce some of their electronics and TV division, then I'll be a really happy camper.

kaiyo

It's been impressive to see the turnaround that Sony has made in the past few years.
I remembered reading articles that there's a good chance Sony could go bankrupt in two years, and that was from a couple years ago. Fixing their film division will be a tough nut to crack for Kaz though, as they don't own that many valuable film IPs, compared to the other major studios.
They need to get their games to movie rolling. And use their anime licenses to make live action movies.

It's too bad about the mobile division. I really liked the Xperia Z line. My OG Xperia Z is still working fine after 4 years when several newer phones from other manufacturers have bit the dust.

Still, good to see them really making a comeback in cameras and TVs. The Sony 4K TVs provide great bang for buck, easily the best in their price range.

Their mobile division is make (small) profits now.

samar11

A healthy Sony is a healthy Playstation division though? Move it to off topic discussion if you feel it doesnt belong in the gaming section. lol

duckroll

They need to get their games to movie rolling. And use their anime licenses to make live action movies.

If you want them to make less profit, sure.

A healthy Sony is a healthy Playstation division though? Move it to off topic discussion if you feel it doesnt belong in the gaming section. lol

I'm must commenting that this particular upward revision has nothing to do with the gaming division! Which means, this piece of news does not mean Playstation as a business performed better than expected in a significant way for this period. I don't care where the thread is on the forum, it's Sony. :p

Pein

Banned
It'd be nice if they could get their mobile division right, I don't understand how sony can't get their phones on carriers over here in the U.S.

People finance their phones, yet the only way it seems to get a new sony phone is buying an unlocked version outright.

Sony makes running a phone division look like an incredibly hard thing to do. I don't even understand why they release so many regional varients. They would surely save a lot of money by consolidating. Make one phone, maybe two different models. Two colors max, one storage size.

That's it, no midrange, no lowend. Just try it, and put all your resources into it. Nearly stock Android, newest Snapdragon chip, a revamped design as good as your past stuff. Don't do anything weird, keep the headphone jack, USB-C, allow microSD cards, wireless charging. Put a fingerprint sensor somewhere reasonable

And maybe hire someone to manage your camera software so photos don't look like shit

They're have try to do something with them. Kaz has to see them as a money drain.

Then again, I think Smurfs is doing decent.

Smurfs will probably make a few million bucks when it's all said and done (including merch and blu ray/VOD/dvd sales). The only movie that has done really well for them so far was RE, thanks to China and - to a lesser extent - Japan. Their two current main movie franchises, RE and Spiderman, are heavily tied to 3rd party owners. That is, they can't make all the money on those franchises that they could in say Ghostbusters or Bad Boys. They also lost the license to Bond and will have to rebid to keep making them.

They've at least seemed to finally get their budgets under control. So, it at least seems like recent movies have been making some money even though they don't have any mega hits.

Not really. Underworld bombed. Life bombed. Passengers bombed. Smurfs may break even. RE did relatively well. It's a race to the bottom between Paramount and Sony to see which one sucks more ass. Lionsgate is currently beating both of them in NA which kinda puts things in perspective.

Err hell no. Previouly Mobile division was one of the star performer and Gaming+TV division was the one that people wish to sell.... Look at it now.

Selling movie division are wet fanboy dream for a lot of hidden reason. Not gonna happen. James Bond and Spiderman universe going to make them lots of Money. And Kaz is personally involved in the restructure of Movie division nowadays.

They don't have the Bond license right and will have to bid, high, to get it again as 5 studios are bidding for it. Spiderman will make money. Homecoming 2 will make money. Their little wet dream of a spideyverse will fail, especially if they have to reboot spiderman yet again. And more than any other franchise, it's a big ass risk when they put up 200MM plus marketing on something that they can only make money off the theatrical run and home video sales whereas Disney will make money regardless on merchandising. Kaz definitely needs to "restructure" the movie division by calling Leslie Moonves and seeing what he's offering for SPE.

Top Bottom