• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

KingJ2002

they're probably running demos in house and realizing the games dont have a huge leap compared to ps2 to ps3... so might as well downplay the graphics and focus on the experience... ala nintendo.

i expect microsoft to do the same.

okenny

Banned
hamchan said:
With the way Microsoft is heading with Kinect and Nintendo with WiiU, I predict the jump from PS3 to PS4 probably will be smaller than previous generational jumps but Sony will still have the strongest system tech wise compared to the other two.

People keep saying the way MS is heading with Kinect but how does this translate to future hardware. If nothing else, wouldn't Kinect suggest MS's commitment to advanced technology? Isn't "Kinect = Casual" so "Low tech = Casual" therefore "Kinect = Low tech" a logical fallacy?

rdrr gnr

I don't think this is true. I think Sony will stick with pushing new technologies. I say this due to the specs of the Vita. The company's general philosophy seems to be intact.

I agree that both of the next gen consoles will have an incredibly emphasis on social media and the casual gaming audience. Facebook/Twitter integration standard and so forth. But, I like to think Sony will stick up for the core more than Microsoft and their console would reflect that.

I do see Sony trying to be profitable on each console sold very early on. Maybe 1 year of losses at the most. So the jump may not be to the 32 SPU beast people want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think it would be awesome if the next generation of consoles from Sony and Microsoft weren't all that much powerful. It would be a big boost for PC gaming! By late 2014, even basic systems with integrated graphics will probably be as powerful as the PS3/360 if not more.

Someone made the analogy (Engadget? Ars?) that in the early 90's all the hardcore PC gamers were getting pissed that these "casual-friendly" consoles were starting to take up all the shelf space in Software Etc & Babbages, etc.

20 years later and we're seeing the cycle all over again: Only this time hardcore console gamers are lamenting all of these casual-friendly iOS & Facebook games, etc

Massa

It'll be the best tech that can fit in a box for $249/299 at the time they launch it.

They're not making a $800 system this time, obviously it won't be a huge jump from the PS3. Selling a new generation based on "better graphics" is destined to fail anyway.

Momo

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Has a terrible frame rate. Couldn't get into it.
Let's play Tetra Master and Triple Triad. I heard some dude made the Final Fantasy card games into standalone PC games.

Good, keep development costs down and all that. We'll never get Japan back if there's another drastic leap.

Of course this guy probably doesn't know shit, so we should wait and see.

GreekWolf

hamchan said:
With the way Microsoft is heading with Kinect and Nintendo with WiiU, I predict the jump from PS3 to PS4 probably will be smaller than previous generational jumps but Sony will still have the strongest system tech wise compared to the other two.
Absolutely. In the same manner than PS2 was technically more proficient than Xbox and Gamecube. lol

No one has a clue what next-gen will offer, which is part of the fun/intrigue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fredescu said:
Number of active Steam accounts isn't a bad start, and at 30 million it would put it at last place.

But, as you say, that's just a starting point.

antonz

MuseManMike said:
I don't think this is true. I think Sony will stick with pushing new technologies. I say this due to the specs of the Vita. The company's general philosophy seems to be intact.

I agree that both of the next gen consoles will have an incredibly emphasis on social media and the casual gaming audience. Facebook/Twitter integration standard and so forth. But, I like to think Sony will stick up for the core more than Microsoft and their console would reflect that.

I do see Sony trying to be profitable on each console sold very early on. Maybe 1 year of losses at the most. So the jump may not be to the 32 SPU beast people want.
Vita is not some marvel of technology. Its straight up Cell phone technology. Vita is the perfect example of The new Sony based on the last financial meeting. No more exotic expensive stuff. Off the shelf components to save dough

WAWAZA

disappointed.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This guy is a genius. Lower expectations for new hardware to the point till they can't get any lower. Kind of like how the Vita $249 price point was amazing since people were assuming outrageous numbers like $399. If they kept hammering on it's affordability before E3 nobody would be totally shocked by the $249.

Why tip your cap about anything on the console at this point? Saying it's infinitely stronger than the PS3 doesn't do anything boost PS3 sales.

rdrr gnr

antonz said:
Vita is not some marvel of technology. Its straight up Cell phone technology. Vita is the perfect example of The new Sony based on the last financial meeting. No more exotic expensive stuff. Off the shelf components to save dough
Right. But it's still a powerful piece of tech in comparison with what's available on the portable market today. If Sony completely abandoned the emphasis on powerful devices, I don't think the specs would be what they are.

I also clarified that concessions would be made.

okenny

Banned
So if this comes to past, can we assume that Crazy Ken's legacy is dead? I thought the PS Vita suggested that his spirit still lives on.

lherre

Accurate
Gaborn said:
LOL... no.

People are really ignoring history. Why is everyone acting like Sony is some bleeding edge technololgical giant? Look at the PS2, it was by FAR the weakest system. Playstation? Weaker than the N64 (though of course it used a superior medium for it's games).

Ps2 and psx were the strongest systems out when they come out to the market ... (well psx and saturn not too much, but ps2 is more powerful than DC). Remember than N64, xbox or gc came later.

Kevin said:
Did somebody ring?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50500_332561550002_3894078_n.jpg[/img]

PC development is somewhat bound by the lowest common denominators (consoles), Sony following Nintendo's lead would only reinforce the bottleneck on the PC.

ciD_Vain

Ooh wow, i didn't really expect this to come from Sony. I don't really see this working too well for Sony, but we'll see when the time comes I suppose.

With how much they seem to be pushing Vita's cross compatibility releasing a monster spec ps4 may just kill off a big selling point for the handheld. Kinda makes sense that the next system still be somewhat near the ps3 I'd think.

Gaborn said:
LOL... no.

People are really ignoring history. Why is everyone acting like Sony is some bleeding edge technololgical giant? Look at the PS2, it was by FAR the weakest system. Playstation? Weaker than the N64 (though of course it used a superior medium for it's games).

Those systems also came out a year to a year and a half prior to those "More Powerful" platforms. Playstation and Playstation 2 were far more powerful than the systems that preceded them. Would you really say the Playstation was in any way comparable to the 3DO or Jaguar? The Saturn came out at the same time and look at the difference between the two of them (In Before "Saturn did 2D Better").

As for the topic at hand I'm not really too concerned with his comments. European execs from any of the major companies seem to know very little solid information about R&D occurring overseas on any new projects and the idea that they'd reverse their strategy after the Vita seems very unlikely, that's more reassuring we'll see a solid leap than anything else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AAK said:
Damn, PS4 might possibly come before TLG and Vesus13!

I wouldn't place a wager on it, but in the most generous of scenarios Sony could announce the PS4 at E3 '12 and have it on shelves by the end of the year. Also, said console releasing before Versus is all but assured. :p

Instro

MuseManMike said:
As impressive as the Vita is, its not exactly bleeding edge or anything. Off the shelf parts based on like 2009 architecture I believe? If anything its a return to the smart Sony who had hardware with a good balance of power vs. affordability. Not overpriced monstrosities that were stuffed with exotic hardware.

Anyway a leap as large as the jump from the previous gen to the current gen is not exactly feasible in the near future, so this wouldn't really surprise me. More to the point I don't see Sony building a $599 machine again, considering the power boost it got over the 360 turned out to be useless outside of exclusives. Better for them to moderately beats out the WiiU, thats easy to develop for and try to reclaim some of the ground they lost this generation.

That said I'm not inclined to believe anything from the OP, but something along those lines fits with my expectations.

The M.O.B

This is some M.Night Shyamalan type twist here.

Will be hilarious if all 3 next consoles are basically at the same power level.

Momo

Banned
okenny said:
So if this comes to past, can we assume that Crazy Ken's legacy is dead? I thought the PS Vita suggested that his spirit still lives on.
The Vita is like the opposite of Krazy Kens design philosophy.

Also How cool would it be to see Krazy Ken go to Sega to do Kombat against Sony by launching Dreamkast II 4D Ken style.

Gaborn

lherre said:
Ps2 and psx were the strongest systems out when they come out to the market ... (well psx and saturn not too much, but ps2 is more powerful than DC). Remember than N64, xbox or gc came later.

well yes, and by that logic Wii U will likely be the strongest system when it comes out so Nintendo is following Sony's playbook.

Gaborn said:
LOL... no.

The PS3 and 360 were both gigantic leaps technology, and both very much in line with bleeding edge technology - and frankly I don't think that lends itself to another similar leap. When the PS3 especially was "future-proofed" (remember that?) it all but guaranteed either an unrealistically long life cycle or it guaranteed a considerably smaller technical leap. That just is the way it works to keep development costs for games halfway reasonable.

Yup, compared to the success of the previous Playstations, especially the PS2, the PS3 was a failed experiment of higher performance and higher price. If they're smart, they'll try and beat the Wii U price point by $100 and try and pack as much power into that budget as they can, possibly at a loss at first like the Vita (the lack of any sort of screen or other such gimmick will definitely help alleviate costs, assuming we get a more traditional console).

A massive power leap is not necessary. A modest bump which will allow all games to run natively in 1080p while maintaining a smooth frame rate would be fine.

Even the top PC games of today are able to be replicated to some end on the current consoles, and I think there are a couple of reasons for that - diminishing returns, but also the necessity to contain budgets. It's sensible to allow games to be developed without bankrupting more publishers, so I think that as much as anything is going to ensure that we see a smaller bump and larger gap between console generations.

Put it this way - N64 vs PC 2002 or Xbox 360 vs PC 2011. There's been a huge, huge narrowing of the chasm which used to exist.

mujun

Seems like an unlikely direction for the company that brought out the PS3 and Vita. Both technical beasts that they are.

Wazzim

Banned
I bet Gabe is sitting in his chair right now doing nothing but smiling and looking at those words "not much more powerful"

NeoUltima

VP of Spain/Portugal? I'll take what he is saying with a grain of salt. Probably just his personal speculation.

PSVita certainly is not a super 'casual' machine anyway, so Sony doesn't seem to be heading in that direction.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
amstradcpc said:
If true Microsoft will get my money this time.

If both Wii U and PS4 are underpowered, I don't see much reason why MS would make themselves bleed more by going the high powered route.

Would be hilarious to see all 3 next gen. consoles be along the same power levels. :lol

okenny

Banned
Momo said:
The Vita is like the opposite of Krazy Kens design philosophy.

Also How cool would it be to see Krazy Ken go to Sega to do Kombat against Sony by launching Dreamkast II 4D Ken style.

opposite?! How so?

"KKK on Dreamkast" sounds like a psychedelic racist podcast :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's going be a modest bump, but there will be no PS3/360 again. At best, the systems will be on par with PC 2010-11.

Top Bottom