• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

daffy

Banned
Yeah... this is probably gonna be bullshit until Sony France weighs in.

Einbroch said:
What he meant:
We want the PS4 to be more innovative and to appeal to the widest audience possible. Of course the PS4 will be more powerful, but we want people to want our system because it's fun to play, not because it's a powerful machine.
Logic, it burns!!

Yeah sure whatever, everything has already been said in this thread, why the hell should they know anything about a new console that will be out in ~early 2013? Nintendo doesn't even know diddly-squat about the WiiU and it's bound to release next year ;)

If the PS4 isn't much more powerful than the PS360 (which I don't believe at all) and MS comes up with a beast, they'll be fucked so hard, they wouldn't be able to stand up anymore and that's a fact!

I for one will join the Master Race in October, they will help me survive until next-gen consoles hit in late 2012 / early 2013 or even later.

TheOddOne

MuseManMike said:
Right, that's what I was getting at. The PS3 lost ~$200 per unit sold off the bat, right? And finally became profitable sometime in 2009. They won't ever repeat that.
I'm just saying, I still think their next console will sell at a small loss very early on. This isn't including the offset from their eventual priced online service. So take that into consideration.
I even think they will not do the small loss early on, still too risky. With the Vita rumours about being profitable in 3 years, they will still go that route.

dwebo

VP of corporate bullshit?

To the sony exec, the ps3 is already the pinnacle of technology - Tretton basically said as much a few days ago. And that's the bullshit they're going to push while they still have the ps3 to sell, all the way up until they announce the ps4.

kevm3

DennisK4 said:
Why are people upset?

I get told over and over here that graphics don't matter and its gameplay that counts. I guess its only when the comparison is with PC that graphics aren't important but when the Sony and MS consoles go head to head suddenly its a different story.....

Graphics do matter. They don't matter in comparison to PC gaming because PC hardware can be updated much more frequently. Comparing a $300 - $500 machine that has been out for years to a $1,100+ dollar machine customized with all of the latest technologies isn't really a fair comparison. However, when waiting several years for a new breed of hardware, gamers will expect it to be significantly more powerful than the last revision.

In regards to 'it's all about gameplay', if that was the case, there would be no need for new hardware. We can stick with what we have now. And on another note, more powerful hardware can definitely have gameplay ramifications, whether it comes to player count (Battlefield 3 PC vs. consoles), physics and more.

If Sony is going to make a casual machine and implement some wiggly waggly, shakey, touchey gimmick to draw in people who don't normally play games, then they'll face the very risk of alienating the hardcore/noncasual crowd and leaving that to Microsoft while entering a territory that they are sure to lose, which is Nintendo with the 'innovative gameplay mechanisms.' That's not a great position to be in.

Momo

Banned
Nirolak said:
Can anyone find anything else inflammatory in this?

Source: http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/articulos/72/0/entrevista-james-armstrong-vp-sony-europa/

We had a lot of threads about how the Wii U has no online system thanks to various Nintendo Europe executives, so I want to see how deep a hole this guy can dig Sony.

Edit:

Yes, I think we can somehow interpret that last bit as focusing on digital downloads.
Naah nothing thats not stated in the op he just adds that they will strengthen DD

Sony can't afford to release another $600 console. Hell $400 would be pushing it. Everyone should set their expectations low for next gen and you'll never be disappointed.

Probably

antonz

This thread is priceless simply for the sheer meltdowns occuring at the thought Sony might be reasonable like PS1 and PS2 era

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
Really all he says there is that via market research they have learned Sony ignores the female gamer too much. That for the future online will continue to evolve but that graphics will not be that big a change
Momo said:
Naah nothing thats not stated in the op he just adds that they will strengthen DD
Thanks!

Corto

This pretty much falls in line with Jack Trettons comments earlier in the week when asked about PS4's power he said something to the effect that you can't get any more powerful than PS3 or some hogwash (also that it would not be here for a long time).

“Technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have.”

http://www.t3.com/news/playstation-4-release-date-not-for-quite-some-time-says-sony?=57725

It's not exactly surprising that Sony would want to emulate the financial success of Nintendo this generation or MS with Kinect.

itxaka

Defeatist
Title change is missing the Sony:trollface at the end.

Sony is trolling them fans.

I interpreted online as DD, let me read the grammar again. Be warned my Spanish is rustier than my Korean.

No, you are correct. Is the digital/online market that they talk about improving.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Momo said:
I interpreted online as DD, let me read the grammar again. Be warned my Spanish is rustier than my Korean.
Google Translate seems to come up with both digital downloads and online, so you're probably right.

Gaborn

lherre said:
You said that sony put the weakest system with ps2-psx because the launch n64 and xbox-gc, and you are comparing with Wii U launch. I think is not the same because althought Wii U will be more powerful than ps3-x360 I think the leap over the current systems is not the same that psx or ps2 brought, so (in my opinion) is not the same strategy because nintendo won't launch a "cutting edge" system (at least as far as I know and we saw).

But is only my opinion, not a fact.

I don't agree because the leap between the Wii and the Wii U if the Wii U is in fact noticeably more powerful than the PS3 is in fact very much comparable to the leap between psx-ps2, etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Corto said:
It's not exactly surprising that Sony would want to emulate the financial success of Nintendo this generation or MS with Kinect.

Then they go and sell Vita at a loss.

Whaaa...?

antonz

Kintaro said:
Then they go and sell Vita at a loss.

Whaaa...?
Except later statements after Kaz have elaborated they are aiming for break even or profitability day one. If they lose anything it will be chicken scratch that overpriced proprietary memory cards will make up for

Nirolak said:
Can anyone find anything else inflammatory in this?

Source: http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/articulos/72/0/entrevista-james-armstrong-vp-sony-europa/

We had a lot of threads about how the Wii U has no online system thanks to various Nintendo Europe executives, so I want to see how deep a hole this guy can dig Sony.

Edit:

Yes, I think we can somehow interpret that last bit as focusing on digital downloads.
"But in terms of graphics and games that visually better than those of today, I think there we can not expect too much."

That was that last line.

It kinda makes sense. The console that won this gen in sales also made money out of the gate. The current best selling console isn't really killing anything in the graphics department. I have been hearing for years that development costs are too expensive. Could a slightly more powerful next gen make things more profitable for not only the big 3 but for developers themselves? I can see how this is bad for core gamers who expect bleeding edge technology but is it bad for the industry as a whole?

Momo

Banned
Nirolak said:
Google Translate seems to come up with both digital downloads and online, so you're probably right.
On the positive side, it would be great to have a DD ecosystem at varied price ranges, we had quite the debate in the Phil Harrison/Apple thread yesterday regarding this. Now he doesnt state that this is what they will do, but for me "strengthening" DD means varied price points and a range of unique titles.

J-Rock

Banned
Very strange. Tretton had an odd comment about this topic too.

Jack Tretton said:
PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride. And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have.

This will be... interesting.

Coolwhip

Banned
It would make sense. Call of Duty fans wont rush to the store to get better graphics. Might aswell keep the cost low and not blow up development costs. And go for a different angle, like cheaper games with a steamlike service.

feel

Mojojo said:
PS4 won't be about power, but Sony's new controller, the PYou

http://i56.tinypic.com/8wf8et.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
This is amazing. :lol

[QUOTE=antonz]No really it wouldnt be. They would have almost no dedicated support besides what they buy.[/QUOTE]
PC visuals won't stop improving, some of the great PC devs sure would enjoy porting their games to a console and having them also look incredible there. A bunch of console developers would adore pushing it too and watching fans of their franchise's eyes melt at the sight of the new entry of a popular console series. And a bunch of WiiU/PS4 ports at 60fps on 1080p-native with good AA next to the limit-pushing games, would be nothing to complain about.

I thought most Gaffers where so happy about this gen. taking 10 years or more and there was absolutely no need for more power for a long time , a quote i never heard before in any gamers generation .

Well , Sony has finally listened to you ...........Idiots !

beje

Banned
So, if this finally happens to be true, will people eventually accept that this console generation is an out-of-whack anomaly in space-time that should never be repeated and that stuff was much better when each system (including PC) had a completely different ecosystem aside of the occasional multiplatform title?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Izayoi said:
They are making me really nervous.
What, do people think I'm joking?

You could totally make a tablet in 2013/2014 that's arguably more powerful than the PS3.

I hope no one liked buttons.

snesfreak

Banned
You know, I usually stay out of Sony threads but this one is just too hard to resist.
Sony can't afford another 599 US Dollars situation, but it doesn't have to be a tiny jump like the Wii either.
I know I know, the insane Nintendo fanboy being reasonable when talking about Sony? How the fuck did THAT happen?
Of course, I still hope the Wii U is more powerful, and beats the shit out of it.
But that's no surprise, right?
:teehee

Lebron

Nirolak said:
What, do people think I'm joking?

You could totally make a tablet in 2013/2014 that's arguably more powerful than the PS3.

I hope no one liked buttons.
icSwOa.gif

M.Bluth

I don't know.. I took Vita's power as a confirmation that PS4 will be a giant leap technologically from the PS3

Obviously not as big of a leap as PS2->PS3, but still would be a much bigger than what it seems to be expected here which is similar to the Game Cube->Wii that Nintendo had

panda21

Corto said:
"It's hard to say right now. I do not think we'll have a console with a lot better graphics than the PS3 currently offered. I believe the future will be to offer consumers better and more accessible experience. The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women."

- SCEE vice president of Spain/Portugal James Armstrong

why are people reading so much into this?

Izayoi

Banned
panda21 said:
why are people reading so much into this?
The fact that they're even hinting at it suggests that they may be trying to downplay expectations.

Though that could be just so they can come back and say "Ha, just joking! Check out this awesome hardware and how powerful it is!"

...Right? ;_;

J-Rock

Banned
CaseyTappy said:
So , Nintendo fans already mocking the PS4's power .

They took a hell of a beating in those Wii U threads. This will be entertaining.

Now, where did I leave my popcorn...

Instro

MuseManMike said:
Perhaps I should have clarified. I'm not talking about a brand new processor architecture or media format. I think we'll see the Cell again, and some variation of Blu-ray as well. What I meant to say is that we won't see a transition akin to the GC --> Wii (just in specs alone). In other words, it won't be a repackaged PS3 + slight alterations. It'll be it's own machine -- distinguishable from the PS3.
Oh well of course, the GC to Wii is a whole different story. The PS4 will at least use updated modern hardware, it just wont be as big a leap in raw power as what we saw last gen.

Top Bottom