• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

lherre

Accurate
Gaborn said:
I don't agree because the leap between the Wii and the Wii U if the Wii U is in fact noticeably more powerful than the PS3 is in fact very much comparable to the leap between psx-ps2, etc.

But the difference between wii/x360-ps3 is not comparable like ps2/xbox-gc (systems that share same generation).

Corto

Nirolak said:
ps4logovu5v.png

I'll wait about 25 more posts then update the OP with the actual translation from Lince.
I'm not convinced the guys with the Killzone avatars translating skills are superior to the websites who ran the stories, but what do I know. I failed Spanish :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
daviyoung said:
No. Unless you're appealing directly to a biological need, women will no more favor one product over a man. Other than pandering to 'girls love pink and boys love blue' there is no way that focusing your design on one gender is ever going to be a successful strategy.

The widest reaching videogames have all be androgynous (The Sims, Mario, Zelda, Rock Band, World of Warcraft, even Farmville) while those that go for the stereotypes tend to be go out of fashion very quickly.

Girls want to play everything boy's want to play. Parents don't know this so they still won't let their daughter play with Action Man instead of Barbie.
Fully agreed. People are often surprised that I'm the one in the relationship who plays more JRPGs and my partner exclusively plays WRPGs. They see a pile of games on the floor and go "oh she likes Final Fantasy?" and my meek reply is "that's for me..." and then they go into the study and find a whole heap of PC RPGs sitting near her desk.

What developers need to realize (and a huge reason why Nintendo have always been popular with both sexes) is that you can't try and pander to a single sex and expect success. Make a game fun without the unneccessary trappings that try to attract to a certain crowd and you'll attract both spectrums.

Dennis

Banned
Akira said:
PS4 will be at least as powerful as current PCs, which are already quite a bit more powerful than the PS3. It's a non-issue, really.
Its a non-issue because that scenario exits only in your mind.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
I know this kind of argument goes over like a lead balloon on this forum, but how much more powerful can a video game system be than a little bit more powerful than a PS3? When it's connected to a television set that's limited to 1080p? When you've reached 1080p and 60fps, what's left to do?
PS3 is nowhere near 1080p and 60fps for complex games. Lot's of room for improvement next gen.

Replicant said:
You mean the same Microsoft with only 3-4 first party IPs to the point that their E3 game winners are multiplatform games? No thx!

And I like Sony's diversity and offerings too.
Live offers exclusives and diversity. The last Sony retail exclusive that was a system seller was MGS4, just sayin'.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Corto said:
I'm not convinced the guys with the Killzone avatars translating skills are superior to the websites who ran the stories, but what do I know. I failed Spanish :p
But he's from Spain and so is the guy who agreed with his translation. :p

The link back even says they used google translate.

Jay Sosa

- SCEE vice president of Spain/Portugal James Armstrong

rofl

But besides that I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, they'd save a lot of money and most people like me for instance are happy with current graphics (rather gimme constant fps and better AI).

CaseyTappy said:
I thought most Gaffers where so happy about this gen. taking 10 years or more and there was absolutely no need for more power for a long time , a quote i never heard before in any gamers generation .

Well , Sony has finally listened to you ...........Idiots !

So true. Whenever there was a "we need next-gen, nao!" from PC gamers console people were "wait a second, look at Uncharted 3... 10 year plan!"

Now it backfires. So much backfires :D

Corto

Nirolak said:
But he's from Spain and so is the guy who agreed with his translation. :p
All I know about language is that it's highly subject to interpretation, and interpretation is highly subject to bias :p

Go ahead:)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Corto said:
All I know about language is that it's highly subject to interpretation, and interpretation is highly subject to bias :p

Oh I'm definitely leaving the original in too.

It's worth debating anyway.

tafer

Lince said:
after reading the original interview in Spanish I'm sorry to say the thread title is misleading, James Armstrong is carefully using words to not downplay current PS3 gfx power and states that their next console will focus not only on graphics but on a better online experience and delivering games for girls as they have found through some market research that girls want to own/play Playstation consoles but they think most of the games available are just not particularly enjoyable to them.

In no way he hints at the PS4 as a platform 'barely more powerful than PS3', every native Spanish speaker will read the interview as 'the focus won't be on graphics this time around', but of course they will be delivering powerful hardware again if PS Vita is anything to go by.

He also reminds us that the focus of the Playstation family is different than Nintendo's hardware:

..., pero tampoco hay que olvidar que Nintendo se dirige a un "target" distinto. La marca PlayStation siempre se ha caracterizado más por atrapar a "jugones" y "casuales", mientras que Wii es un producto mucho más familiar. Entonces yo creo que hay sitio para todos.
(jugones="Hardcore"?)

I think we can stay calm... at least for now.

Lince

Banned
Corto said:

lol... yes I'm sporting this Killzone 2 avatar, but that doesn't prevent me from being Spaniard :p

Corto said:

come on... there's no bias when in the interview he never refers to the PS4 as a platform 'barely more powerful than PS3'.

Instro

tafer said:
He also reminds us that the focus of the Playstation family is different than Nintendo's hardware:

(juguetones ="Hardcore"?)

That word sounds way cooler than "hardcore".

Lissar

Reluctant Member
lowrider007 said:
Imagine Sony gave Naughty Dog the task of making a game that appeals to women, already I've found that women find Uncharted quite appealing and enjoyable compared to other 'core' offerings on the market, if anyone can do it Sony can, I don't think were going to see Sony's best talent making 'party games for girls', I think (or rather hope) they will be a little bit more mature about it.

Thing is, focusing on making a game for *insert demographic* doesn't usually work out. They usually end up focusing too much on a stereotype (even subconsciously) and that will affect the game and potentially make it a lesser product. Even if it is a really good dev, it is not a good mind set to begin a project with. That's why I would much rather see a diverse group of people in the design team than telling already existing devs to make games for certain demographics. I think we could get much more interesting games that are designed BY a woman than ones that are designed FOR women. Or any other group out there.

lherre

Accurate
Corto said:

Lince's interpretation is fine, i'm spanish too, and I think the same about the interview.

Armstrong doesn't know anything about the power of ps4, he believes that sony will focus in other things besides power and gave examples of it (like women market).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Gram Negative Cocci said:
So true. Whenever there was a "we need next-gen, nao!" from PC gamers console people were "wait a second, look at Uncharted 3... 10 year plan!"

Now it backfires. So much backfires :D
I actually think a 10 year plan would be great.
Games and the industry place too much importance on bleeding edge graphics. The focus should be on expanding gaming and getting a fixed-spec standard into as many homes as possible over a ten year generation. The film industry's mass support for the VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray formats should be the model. Yeah, PCs will be much more capable, but so what? It would be much better for the industry to go for mass adoption than the niche that's willing to shell out for the latest hardware. And as the generation goes on, more and more baseline PCs would be able to handle the console spec.

Lissar said:
Thing is, focusing on making a game for *insert demographic* doesn't usually work out. They usually end up focusing too much on a stereotype (even subconsciously) and that will affect the game and potentially make it a lesser product. Even if it is a really good dev, it is not a good mind set to begin a project with. That's why I would much rather see a diverse group of people in the design team than telling already existing devs to make games for certain demographics. I think we could get much more interesting games that are designed BY a woman than ones that are designed FOR women. Or any other group out there.
Very true.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
daviyoung said:
No. Unless you're appealing directly to a biological need, women will no more favor one product over a man. Other than pandering to 'girls love pink and boys love blue' there is no way that focusing your design on one gender is ever going to be a successful strategy.

The widest reaching videogames have all be androgynous (The Sims, Mario, Zelda, Rock Band, World of Warcraft, even Farmville) while those that go for the stereotypes tend to be go out of fashion very quickly.

Girls want to play everything boy's want to play. Parents don't know this so they still won't let their daughter play with Action Man instead of Barbie.

I'm not saying games should be made to appeal 'specifically' to woman, I agree that games that are androgynous are more successful which is why I used Uncharted as an example, I think with a few tweaks a game like Uncharted could come very close to a title that 'could' appeal to both sexes equally, I don't think we need to have 'cartoony' androgynous games just to get women on board with gaming, I think we need a bit more maturity injected into this goal, and I don't agree that "Girls want to play everything boy's want to play.", not atm anyway, yes of course your going to find more women or girls that are interested in titles that we deem more suited to men in this day and age and certainly on a forum like this, but generally speaking that is not the case, not from my observations anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lissar said:
Actually, Naughty Dog is a better example of what you're talking about than what lowrider007 is, since their creative director is Amy Hennig.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope (and will presume for the moment) that this man was speculating out of place.

Just lately Tretton's comments about Vita and needing to offer high end experiences on new hardware, along with Vita's approach, made me hopeful Sony would continue to push my hardcore/techie buttons going forward.

I dunno, we'll see how things pan out, but these comments don't seem particularly authoritative.

Pranay

at nirolak

..., pero tampoco hay que olvidar que Nintendo se dirige a un "target" distinto. La marca PlayStation siempre se ha caracterizado más por atrapar a "jugones" y "casuales", mientras que Wii es un producto mucho más familiar. Entonces yo creo que hay sitio para todos.

(juguetones ="Hardcore"?)

i think you should add this as well to op and title

Krev said:
I actually think a 10 year plan would be great.
Games and the industry place too much importance on bleeding edge graphics. The focus should be on expanding gaming and getting a fixed-spec standard into as many homes as possible over a ten year generation. The film industry's mass support for the VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray formats should be the model. Yeah, PCs will be much more capable, but so what? It would be much better for the industry to go for mass adoption than the niche that's willing to shell out for the latest hardware. And as the generation goes on, more and more baseline PCs would be able to handle the console spec.

You want mass adoption?

Get one console out there. Not three. We need one console future just like with Blu-Ray players and TVs. Make it uberpowerful, shaming PCs but make it one standard hardware. Get Nintendo on board for controller, Microsoft for online backend and Sony for hardware.

Narag

You want mass adoption?

Get one console out there. Not three. We need one console future just like with Blu-Ray players and TVs. Make it uberpowerful, shaming PCs but make it one standard hardware. Get Nintendo on board for controller, Microsoft for online backend and Sony for hardware.

That'd price it out of mass adoption range.

kevm3 said:
If Sony is going to make a casual machine and implement some wiggly waggly, shakey, touchey gimmick to draw in people who don't normally play games, then they'll face the very risk of alienating the hardcore/noncasual crowd and leaving that to Microsoft while entering a territory that they are sure to lose, which is Nintendo with the 'innovative gameplay mechanisms.' That's not a great position to be in.

Quoted for truth. While you could cater to the casual crowd with a cheap PS3.5 with some innovative controls or whatever right from the start, a PS3.5 won't cut it for hardcore gamers (in the long run).
A powerful PS4 with a decent price point, will attract the hardcore hungry for some new graphics out of the gate and will be able to sell to the casuals in the long run.

Fredescu

daviyoung said:
Girls want to play everything boys want to play. Parents don't know this so they still won't let their daughter play with Action Man instead of Barbie.
Your overall point about developing games for everyone is true, but this particular point isn't. There are differences between the male and female brain, and these bear themselves out in a lot of different ways. Brain Sex is a good read on the subject if you're interested.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You want mass adoption?

Get one console out there. Not three. We need one console future just like with Blu-Ray players and TVs.
That's exactly what I had in mind actually.

daviyoung

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I don't agree that "Girls want to play everything boy's want to play.", not atm anyway, yes of course your going to find more women or girls that are interested in titles that we deem more suited to men in this day and age and certainly on a forum like this, but generally speaking that is not the case, not from my observations anyway.

Well, Uncharted is androgynous.

And girls love fighting games, anything where they get to kick the crap out someone. That's a fact.

Corto

Lince said:
after reading the original interview in Spanish I'm sorry to say the thread title is misleading, James Armstrong is carefully using words to not downplay current PS3 gfx power and states that their next console will focus not only on graphics but on a better online experience and delivering games for girls as they have found through some market research that girls want to own/play Playstation consoles but they think most of the games available are just not particularly enjoyable to them.

In no way he hints at the PS4 as a platform 'barely more powerful than PS3', every native Spanish speaker will read the interview as 'the focus won't be on graphics this time around', but of course they will be delivering powerful hardware again if PS Vita is anything to go by.

I'm curious though, what is your exact translation of the OP.

If you would be so kind.

bigswords

Akira said:
PS4 will be at least as powerful as current PCs, which are already quite a bit more powerful than the PS3. It's a non-issue, really.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA I'll take a ban bet. LoL powerful as current PCs.

Corto

lherre said:
Lince's interpretation is fine, i'm spanish too, and I think the same about the interview.

Armstrong doesn't know anything about the power of ps4, he believes that sony will focus in other things besides power and gave examples of it (like women market).

Can any of you Gaf spanish speaking population offer an alternate translation? Just so we could get a better idea of your version of the wording?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
daviyoung said:
Well, Uncharted is androgynous.

And girls love fighting games, anything where they get to kick the crap out someone. That's a fact.

It's close, but don't agree it's completely androgynous, but I guess that's a subjective point, either way, my point still stands, I think we need more games based on Uncharted's design philosophy, a mature title that appeals to both sexes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Nirolak said:
Actually, Naughty Dog is a better example of what you're talking about than what lowrider007 is, since their creative director is Amy Hennig.

I actually had no idea, but that's good to know. I'd really like to see a lot more variety of people in creative positions in game development than what is there currently. Not just women of course, all groups.

Momo

Banned
bigswords said:
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA I'll take a ban bet. LoL powerful as current PCs.
I don't think anyone means as powerful in raw numbers, but will be able to output similar levels of A.I., physics, draw distances, IQ etc.

You can do more with less on a console.

tafer

Lissar said:

Same with all those Japanese developers trying to appeal to western audiences...

I don't get it..

I'm spaniard as well and I know the OP translation is pretty accurate:

"It's hard to say right now. I do not think we'll have a console with a lot better graphics than the PS3 currently offered. I believe the future will be to offer consumers better and more accessible experience. The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women."

If we're talking about which translation is the right one in this matter, that is the accurate one.

daviyoung

Banned
Fredescu said:
Your overall point about developing games for everyone is true, but this particular point isn't. There are differences between the male and female brain, and these bear themselves out in a lot of different ways. Brain Sex is a good read on the subject if you're interested.

There are always studies that try and to prove or disprove the power of social conditioning at early ages. One of these studies is commissioned nearly every year. It's obvious that men and women are 'wired' differently, that would come under biological need, but there's no real reason to expect taste in entertainment to be so gender-specific.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
tafer said:
Same with all those Japanese developers trying to appeal to western audiences...

That's another thing that really, really gets me. I hate all this focus group development. It's so sterile. The best games I've played obviously came from passionate people. It really shows when people believe in an idea, or when they're just doing what they're told.

Corto

intheinbetween said:
I don't get it..

I'm spaniard as well and I know the OP translation is pretty accurate:

If we're talking about which translation is the right one in this matter, that is accurate.

Interesting...

J-Rock

Banned
So is this guy and Tretton talking out of their asses or is there some kind of shift in philosophy behind the scenes?

daviyoung

Banned
lowrider007 said:
It's close, but don't agree it's completely androgynous, but I guess that's a subjective point, either way, my point still stands, I think we need more games based on Uncharted's design philosophy, a mature title that appeals to both sexes.

You're right, but how many women actually play Uncharted as opposed to watch someone play it? I think it's minuscule compared to those that actively participate in other games.

Top Bottom