• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

Vespene

More like Playstatino 3.5

weinerproblim.jpg

All trolling aside, I think Sony is too tech oriented to just do a marginal upgrade, but who knows. One thing's for sure: the original Wii route only leads to a short console lifespan.

With both Consoles struggling for years to compete with something much weaker at a lower price point, developers constant complaining about development costs and Sony nearly damning themselves with that launch price this seems like an obvious move for next gen.

Everyone launch with a slightly stronger, lower priced system with better support out of the gate from developers already familiar with the architecture. It just makes sense from their standpoint. Especially with how well both consoles are doing know with very old hardware.

J-Rock

Banned
Izayoi said:
The fact that they're even hinting at it suggests that they may be trying to downplay expectations.

Though that could be just so they can come back and say "Ha, just joking! Check out this awesome hardware and how powerful it is!"

...Right? ;_;

45802-32025.jpg

Akira

PS4 will be at least as powerful as current PCs, which are already quite a bit more powerful than the PS3. It's a non-issue, really.

kitch9

Banned
Thrakier said:
I think it's safe to say that if consoles don't upgrade their graphics (and so developers aren't really focusing on high profile graphics) that the glorious pc master gaming race will also suffer under this development.

I would guess the hardcore gamer would embrace the PC market more, whilst MS, Sony and Ninty fight over the birds who want to wiggle their hips to a cute teddy bear and twinkle music.

Suits me, I've just hooked up my PC to my 50" TV and to be frank 1080p gaming is just sublime.

Even stuff like Black Ops looks INSANE!

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
I know this kind of argument goes over like a lead balloon on this forum, but how much more powerful can a video game system be than a little bit more powerful than a PS3? When it's connected to a television set that's limited to 1080p? When you've reached 1080p and 60fps, what's left to do?

I'm sure the PC gamers can come up with a whole laundry list of irrelevant technical minutiae that the average person wouldn't even be able to notice, but it's not really going to make anyone run out and buy a PS4. Most gamers probably have their Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to HDTVs with the composite cables that came with the system.

If you can't see the diminishing returns, you're in the vast minority. At least you'll always have PC games.

Having PS4 running its games in 60 fps @ 1080p in FULL 3D MODE would already make it 3-5 times more poweful than PS3.

Imagine God of War 3 or Killzone 3 at that settings. And I mean NO frame drops and full 60 fps in 3D (that makes 120fps in 2D, right?).

Jesus, GAF is taking its crazy pills

oh god the PS4 might be slightly stronger than the ps3

oh god

I should hope that the majority of people screaming and wailing about this were part of the glorious PC master race before this generation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
panda21 said:
why are people reading so much into this?
You're right, he is being too optimistic for a tablet.

They need to cut down on polys to save on power, and they want it to be thin, so it'll probably come in a bit under the Vita.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
gundamkyoukai said:
As i said do people really think this guy has any idea about PS4 lol.
The only people might know something are SCEJ and maybe some devs .
Listen to your inner spirit. PS4 will be a tablet.

Izayoi

Banned
Nirolak said:

They need to cut down on polys to save on power, and they want it to be thin, so it'll probably come in a bit under the Vita.
Hahaha.

Seriously though, if ends up even remotely like a tablet I'm going to be really upset with you. :(

snesfreak

Banned
Nirolak said:

Oh man, this is great. :lol

Nirolak said:

PS4 to be a tablet and also have a smartphone version.
Well once you can hook it up to a tv and use a dual shock i don't mind lol.

Corto

If this comes to fruition, I don't see MS going the highroad and releasing a console beast either. There would be absolutely no point as the games it got would be dumbed down to accommodate ports to the other consoles... and of course... well... Kinect.

evangd007

So the PS4 is going to be ascended super saiyan and not perfect cell?

This is a realistic expectation though. There's no way they'll be able to get a state-of-the-art graphics card in a set-top box that draws under 200 Watts.

Vespene

Nirolak said:

What I fear is a market where the consoles are so different in terms of power and interface that it will become a fragmented mess.

Already developers depend on a multiplat format to make money on 3rd party software. If this delicate balance is altered with drastic platform diferences then 3rd parties will suffer.

Lince

Banned
after reading the original interview in Spanish I'm sorry to say the thread title is misleading, James Armstrong is carefully using words to not downplay current PS3 gfx power and states that their next console will focus not only on graphics but on a better online experience and delivering games for girls as they have found through some market research that girls want to own/play Playstation consoles but they think most of the games available are just not particularly enjoyable to them.

In no way he hints at the PS4 as a platform 'barely more powerful than PS3', every native Spanish speaker will read the interview as 'the focus won't be on graphics this time around', but of course they will be delivering powerful hardware again if PS Vita is anything to go by.

Perfect times to pull that sword from stone , reclaim the hardcore throne and release the 16 core, 8 Ghz Sega Excalibur in 2013 !

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
As a big Playstation fan I am honestly not worried, this is Sony guys, look at the Vita, they are still a very tech orientated company that likes to impress, it's just now they are doing it a little bit more intelligently/cost effectively.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GT Vespene said:
What I fear is a market where the consoles are so different in terms of power and interface that it will become a fragmented mess.

Already developers depend on a multiplat format to make money on 3rd party software. If this delicate balance is altered with drastic platform diferences then 3rd parties will suffer.
But you see, if the 3DS, Vita, iPhone, iPad, Wii U, and PS4 all have touch screens, we can just make every game use 2D clip art and be controller by touch only.

We can even port the games to PC and play them with only a mouse.

Angry Birds has been downloaded over 250 million times, and Cityville is over 100 million active users. Clearly the future is upon us.

speedpop

Momo said:
What if PS4 is built into an HDTV?
Sounds like a great idea, but Sony already shift HDTVs. Why give the consumer the chance to be buying a TV and a console rolled together when you can shaft them proper and make them pay more for separate products?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Every time I see a game company say they're going to design titles "for women", it makes me nervous. Mostly because this usually means that it is a group of old guys deciding what women want. I'd much rather see a diverse group of people developing games that they think are going to be awesome. Give more chances to the unusual in hopes that it will catch on, rather than going with the safe bet.

But obviously even though they say "women" I'm not really in the group that they're aiming for, so I can't really speak for that group.

Momo said:
What if PS4 is built into an HDTV?

I think this is the future of the console, as opposed to cloud computing. Eventually consoles will just be built into your HDTV....one less device in your living room, less clutter.

Instro

Nirolak said:
But you see, if the 3DS, Vita, iPhone, iPad, Wii U, and PS4 all have touch screens, we can just make every game use 2D clip art and be controller by touch only.

Angry Birds has been downloaded over 250 million times, and Cityville is over 100 million active users. Clearly the future is upon us.
Nirolak is descending into madness as this thread progresses.

Neo C.

<3 this thread.

Anyway, Sony fans are still going to stay and have fun with PS4, whether it's a 3x, 5x or a 10x leap.

speedpop

Instro said:
Nirolak is descending into madness as this thread progresses.
It's hardly madness when he speaks the truth. The future of "console" gaming is portability.

duk said:
shift to social and less powerful gaming

sigh, ugh, blehz, pukes, etc
That's where the money is being made. If you wanted power and eye candy in gaming, you would've been playing on a PC for the last 15-20 years.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Lissar said:
Every time I see a game company say they're going to design titles "for women", it makes me nervous. Mostly because this usually means that it is a group of old guys deciding what women want. I'd much rather see a diverse group of people developing games that they think are going to be awesome. Give more chances to the unusual in hopes that it will catch on, rather than going with the safe bet.

But obviously even though they say "women" I'm not really in the group that they're aiming for, so I can't really speak for that group.

Imagine Sony gave Naughty Dog the task of making a game that appeals to women, already I've found that women find Uncharted quite appealing and enjoyable compared to other 'core' offerings on the market, if anyone can do it Sony can, I don't think were going to see Sony's best talent making 'party games for girls', I think (or rather hope) they will be a little bit more mature about it.

Izayoi

Banned
duk said:
may MS save us all, but who knows kinect 2.0 to power social gaming ugh
You can bet that Microsoft is going to shoehorn some kind of awful Kinect bullshit into the 720. I have zero hope for it.

Vespene

Nirolak said:

I do imagine a future where the consoles are the controllers and they just stream video to the TV. Playing iPad games through AirPlay on your HDTV is just around the corner. Having two screens will ultimately make the system more expensive to manufacture, and will lead the manufacturer to cut down on specs just to accomodate the costs of touch screens.

Pranay

Lince said:
after reading the original interview in Spanish I'm sorry to say the thread title is misleading, James Armstrong is carefully using words to not downplay current PS3 gfx power and states that their next console will focus not only on graphics but on a better online experience and delivering games for girls as they have found through some market research that girls want to own/play Playstation consoles but they think most of the games available are just not particularly enjoyable to them.

In no way he hints at the PS4 as a platform 'barely more powerful than PS3', every native Spanish speaker will read the interview as 'the focus won't be on graphics this time around', but of course they will be delivering powerful hardware again if PS Vita is anything to go by.

Felt the same when i read it.

speedpop said:
Sounds like a great idea, but Sony already shift HDTVs. Why give the consumer the chance to be buying a TV and a console rolled together when you can shaft them proper and make them pay more for separate products?

They need to hit that part of the market that isn't going to upsell to a whole new item though. Think about it, there's a bunch of people who would baulk at a whole new item they see as largely pointless to them, but would pay a premium for a Bravia with "the lot"; that is, on-board gaming and blu-ray.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Sony needs to do this. Anything else would be leaving money on the table.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Mobile technology is accelerating so rapidly that it won't be too long before Sony and Nintendo merge their handheld and console lines.
At that point, the jump in power will be less than what we're used to with a new generation, but we'll manage.

Who would honestly complain about a tablet/controller console that could be plugged into a TV and give you 1080p/60fps graphics? Wait, stupid question. I forgot how much people fear change.

Vespene

Krev said:
Mobile technology is accelerating so rapidly that it won't be too long before Sony and Nintendo merge their handheld and console lines.
At that point, the jump in power will be less than what we're used to with a new generation, but we'll manage.

Who would honestly complain about a tablet/controller console that could be plugged into a TV and give you 1080p/60fps graphics? Wait, stupid question. I forgot how much people fear change.

I think the iPad 3 will be a big step towards this. It will probably be capable of around 300dpi and when blown up to TV, it hits the 1920x1080 HD mark.

daviyoung

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Imagine Sony gave Naughty Dog the task of making a game that appeals to women, already I've found that women find Uncharted quite appealing and enjoyable compared to other 'core' offerings on the market, if anyone can do it Sony can, I don't think were going to see Sony's best talent making 'party games for girls', I think (or rather hope) they will be a little bit more mature about it.

No. Unless you're appealing directly to a biological need, women will no more favor one product over a man. Other than pandering to 'girls love pink and boys love blue' there is no way that focusing your design on one gender is ever going to be a successful strategy.

The widest reaching videogames have all be androgynous (The Sims, Mario, Zelda, Rock Band, World of Warcraft, even Farmville) while those that go for the stereotypes tend to be go out of fashion very quickly.

Girls want to play everything boys want to play. Parents don't know this so they still won't let their daughter play with Action Man instead of Barbie.

Sinoox

Banned
If it's not going to be more powerful don't even bother making a new one. Just give us something external like the Xbox has Kinect.

lherre

Accurate
Lince said:

Yes. Totally agree with this.

Maxrunner

Akira said:
PS4 will be at least as powerful as current PCs, which are already quite a bit more powerful than the PS3. It's a non-issue, really.

LOLLOL, really?? c'mon please....My current pc will probably still be better than ps4...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lince said:

stop making sense.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Maxrunner said:
LOLLOL, really?? c'mon please....My current pc will probably still be better than ps4...
In terms of raw power, sure, but it won't be putting out graphics as good as what you'll see on the PS4, for a number of reasons.

evangd007 said:
So the PS4 is going to be ascended super saiyan and not perfect cell?

This is a realistic expectation though. There's no way they'll be able to get a state-of-the-art graphics card in a set-top box that draws under 200 Watts.

Meanwhile the Xbox 720 has reached Super Saiyan 3

Top Bottom