• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

kevm3

If the PS4 turns out to be PS Wii, then it'll be the first Sony console I'll skip out on. Great thing is that these aren't words from a main exec. I'm tired of motion gimmicks and other nonsense to lure casuals in. I almost hope the Move and even 3d crashes and burns so we don't have to deal with any more of these technologies. I'd rather Sony go with the Vita approach, aka very powerful, developer friendly hardware at a reasonable price to the consumers.

starmud

i thought we all agreed about next gen. less focus on hardware upgrades, more focus about the experience/interaction...

im over graphics whoring. i just want good games.

okenny

Banned
Mojojo said:
PS4 won't be about power, but Sony's new controller, the PYou

8wf8et.jpg

OMG :lol

I see this happening :( I imagine it will have front and back multi-touch LCD panels (you read that right... front and back LCD panels) and front and back 3D camera

Yaska

As far as I know, SCEE folks usually don't know a thing about anything that SCEJ or SCEA does. Seeing as the console is developed usually by SCEJ, we shouldn't worry about what some random SCEE guy says.

Wazzim

Banned
Oblivion said:
If both Wii U and PS4 are underpowered, I don't see much reason why MS would make themselves bleed more by going the high powered route.

Would be hilarious to see all 3 next gen. consoles be along the same power levels. :lol
MS has 360 for the casuals and their next console for the hardcore,the new xbox having more power than the others would be a great for them.

TheOddOne

MuseManMike said:
I don't think this is true. I think Sony will stick with pushing new technologies. I say this due to the specs of the Vita. The company's general philosophy seems to be intact.

I agree that both of the next gen consoles will have an incredibly emphasis on social media and the casual gaming audience. Facebook/Twitter integration standard and so forth. But, I like to think Sony will stick up for the core more than Microsoft and their console would reflect that.

I do see Sony trying to be profitable on each console sold very early on. Maybe 1 year of losses at the most. So the jump may not be to the 32 SPU beast people want.
I don't think that it works like that, because that would be their current strategy.

I'd be relieved if the system isn't drastically more powerful. Just means it will be cheaper and development costs will probably be lower.

Sony isn't all about targetting one specific group, even in a post wii world they're still not interested in making easier games that are thin on content for casual players.

Also no way in hell am I moving to PC gaming even if they do try to emulate nintendo. I like fighting games, action games, and JRPGs too much.

Thrakier

Kevin said:
Did somebody ring?

50500_332561550002_3894078_n.jpg

I think it's safe to say that if consoles don't upgrade their graphics (and so developers aren't really focusing on high profile graphics) that the glorious pc master gaming race will also suffer under this development.

lherre

Accurate
Gaborn said:
well yes, and by that logic Wii U will likely be the strongest system when it comes out so Nintendo is following Sony's playbook.

Depends on the difference in power between Wii U and Ps4/xboxwhatevernumberputhere ... if it's like wii/ps3-x360 then no, not the same than ps2-xbox/gc

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it's not much more powerful than the PS3 it would honestly have a very, very high chance of being weaker than the Wii U and a really irrelevant upgrade.

No clue why you would ever waste the money.

antonz

Wazzim said:
MS has 360 for the casuals and their next console for the hardcore,the new xbox having more power than the others would be a great for them.
No really it wouldnt be. They would have almost no dedicated support besides what they buy.

rdrr gnr

Instro said:
As impressive as the Vita is, its not exactly bleeding edge or anything. Off the shelf parts based on like 2009 architecture I believe? If anything its a return to the smart Sony who had hardware with a good balance of power vs. affordability. Not overpriced monstrosities that were stuffed with exotic hardware.

Anyway a leap as large as the jump from the previous gen to the current gen is not exactly feasible in the near future, so this wouldn't really surprise me. More to the point I don't see Sony building a $599 machine again, considering the power boost it got over the 360 turned out to be useless outside of exclusives. Better for them to moderately beats out the WiiU, thats easy to develop for and try to reclaim some of the ground they lost this generation.

That said I'm not inclined to believe anything from the OP, but something along those lines fits with my expectations.
Perhaps I should have clarified. I'm not talking about a brand new processor architecture or media format. I think we'll see the Cell again, and some variation of Blu-ray as well. What I meant to say is that we won't see a transition akin to the GC --> Wii (just in specs alone). In other words, it won't be a repackaged PS3 + slight alterations. It'll be it's own machine -- distinguishable from the PS3.

snesfreak

Banned
They probably don't want another "599 US Dollars" situation.
Mojojo said:
PS4 won't be about power, but Sony's new controller, the PYou

http://i56.tinypic.com/8wf8et.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wouldn't put it past them, not like they've never copied Nintendo before.

Fredescu

Zimbardo said:
i'm sticking with PC, so i couldn't really care less what sony or nintendo, etc. do.
What they do affects the limitations of big budget software development. Even The Witcher 2 was designed around the limitations of the 360.

kevm3

If it's not going to be significantly more powerful, what is even the point of releasing a new system? Just ride the PS3 out for another few years and release whatever gimmick that is supposed to draw the casuals in as an add-on. I love seeing cutting-edge technology in my new systems that make my jaw drop.

Gaborn said:
well yes, and by that logic Wii U will likely be the strongest system when it comes out so Nintendo is following Sony's playbook.
I genuinely have no clue what your point is. Are you saying that because the PS1 didn't remain cutting edge forever that it can't claim to be cutting edge? Again, the most comparable platform to the PS1 when you consider it's release date was the Saturn and..... it was way more powerful. PS2 was fine too albeit Xbox's crazy pricing strategy kind of hurt that perception that gen. PSP looked as good as any portable game on the market until very recently and Vita is in a similar situation even if it will likely be topped far sooner than the PSP was.

Momo

Banned
okenny said:
opposite?! How so?

"KKK on Dreamkast" sounds like a psychedelic racist podcast :(
No exotic hardware, easy to dev for. Seems like a real developers machine to me.

antonz

kevm3 said:
If it's not going to be significantly more powerful, what is even the point of releasing a new system? Just ride the PS3 out for another few years and release whatever gimmick that is supposed to draw the casuals in as an add-on. I love seeing cutting-edge technology in my new systems that make my jaw drop.
They tried that and move was DOA.

They need a new console that has the gimmicks to attract the casual and ladies there from day one

vocab

Thrakier said:
I think it's safe to say that if consoles don't upgrade their graphics (and so developers aren't really focusing on high profile graphics) that the glorious pc master gaming race will also suffer under this development.

lol

rdrr gnr

TheOddOne said:
I don't think that it works like that, because that would be their current strategy.
What do you mean? I thought there wasn't confirmation on whether or not Sony was taking a hit on each Vita sold?

Gaborn

lherre said:
Depends on the difference in power between Wii U and Ps4/xboxwhatevernumberputhere ... if it's like wii/ps3-x360 then no, not the same than ps2-xbox/gc

Huh? Your point was even though the PS2 was the weakest system of last generation it was released first, and significantly before the Xbox or GC. I think it's pretty nearly confirmed that the Wii U will be more powerful than PS3 or 360, assuming it is in fact then that would make it directly on point with Sony's PS2 strategy assuming in fact the PS4 and 720 are more powerful than Wii U. That is, release first and enjoy that advantage in wooing consumers.

Dennis

Banned
Why are people upset?

I get told over and over here that graphics don't matter and its gameplay that counts. I guess its only when the comparison is with PC that graphics aren't important but when the Sony and MS consoles go head to head suddenly its a different story.....

Pranay

MuseManMike said:
What do you mean? I thought there wasn't confirmation on whether or not Sony was taking a hit on each Vita sold?

In a latest interview, they are trying to sell at profit.

at topic

I dont expect a ps2 -> ps3 leap but i think the ps4 will be powerful but i hope the ps4 gets more games from japan :)

TheOddOne

MuseManMike said:
Still seems like their normal strategy to me, calculating when they will be profitable again. I don't know if they will go the same route with the PS4 though, because they lost most if not all of their profit from the PS1 & PS2 era on the PS3.

itxaka

Defeatist
Thrakier said:

Yep. This could lead to the dead of PC gaming...again.

rdrr gnr

TheOddOne said:
Still seems like their normal strategy to me, calculating when they will be profitable again. I don't know if they will go the same route with the PS4 though, because they lost most if not all of their profit from the PS1 & PS2 era on the PS3.
Right, that's what I was getting at. The PS3 lost ~$200 per unit sold off the bat, right? And finally became profitable sometime in 2009. They won't ever repeat that.
I'm just saying, I still think their next console will sell at a small loss very early on. This isn't including the offset from their eventual priced online service. So take that into consideration.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DennisK4 said:
Why are people upset?

I get told over and over here that graphics don't matter and its gameplay that counts. I guess its only when the comparison is with PC that graphics aren't important but when the Sony and MS consoles go head to head suddenly its a different story.....

haha, QFT.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can anyone find anything else inflammatory in this?

Sony Spain said:
3DJuegos: ¿Cómo te imaginas la nueva generación de consolas? ¿Mejores gráficos, nuevas interfaces de control o ambas cosas a la vez?

James Armstrong: Es difícil de decir ahora mismo. No creo que vayamos a tener una consola con muchos mejores gráficos que los que ofrece actualmente PS3. Considero que el futuro vendrá por ofrecer a los consumidores mejores experiencias y más accesibles. El objetivo estará en hacer que más gente se incorpore al mundo de los videojuegos y tratar de diseñar títulos para mujeres.

Realizamos bastantes estudios de mercado, y muchos nos dicen que a las jugadoras les gustaría disfrutar de una PlayStation como lo hacen los chicos. El problema es que no hay juegos para chicas, entonces es un aspecto a desarrollar, así como el mundo online o las descargas digitales, que también espero que evolucionen considerablemente en el futuro. Pero en términos de gráficos y de tener juegos visualmente mejores a los de hoy, creo que ahí no podremos esperar demasiado.
Source: http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/articulos/72/0/entrevista-james-armstrong-vp-sony-europa/

We had a lot of threads about how the Wii U has no online system thanks to various Nintendo Europe executives, so I want to see how deep a hole this guy can dig Sony.

Edit:

Yes, I think we can somehow interpret that last bit as focusing on digital downloads.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Can anyone find anything else inflammatory in this?

Source: http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/articulos/72/0/entrevista-james-armstrong-vp-sony-europa/

We had a lot of threads about how the Wii U has no online system thanks to various Nintendo Europe executives, so I want to see how deep a hole this guy can dig Sony.
Really all he says there is that via market research they have learned Sony ignores the female gamer too much. That for the future online will continue to evolve but that graphics will not be that big a change

I really don't think Sony Spain knows anything about PS4 .
If Sony Japan sometimes don't know what hell is going in there own building this don't really mean much.
Even if they go the cheap road and sell a system at 350 -400 you still be able to see a jump easy while they can still make profit.

lherre

Accurate
Gaborn said:
Huh? Your point was even though the PS2 was the weakest system of last generation it was released first, and significantly before the Xbox or GC. I think it's pretty nearly confirmed that the Wii U will be more powerful than PS3 or 360, assuming it is in fact then that would make it directly on point with Sony's PS2 strategy assuming in fact the PS4 and 720 are more powerful than Wii U. That is, release first and enjoy that advantage in wooing consumers.

You said that sony put the weakest system with ps2-psx because the launch n64 and xbox-gc, and you are comparing with Wii U launch. I think is not the same because althought Wii U will be more powerful than ps3-x360 I think the leap over the current systems is not the same that psx or ps2 brought, so (in my opinion) is not the same strategy because nintendo won't launch a "cutting edge" system (at least as far as I know and we saw).

But is only my opinion, not a fact.

Top Bottom