• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to announce DriveClub release date 'shortly'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that March release date isn't true. There's no reason to release all three of their early 2014 retail games in the same damn month.

DemonNite

I guess Sony don't want the game to come out to early.
Right now demand for the Ps4 is so high that they sell everything they can produce. Sony probably wants the game to come out when demand goes down and need to be pushed again.

No, they're not that silly... the game required polish in certain areas and was delayed to get that polish. The delay was expected before the PS4 thirst became real

vpance

S¡mon;97556639 said:
And it's too bad people keep forgetting about Rime, Shadow Of The Beast and Eveybody's Gone To The Rapture.

#PS4HasNoGames

Short memory spans dude. I think we need some more teasers and CGI videos to remind us that they're still coming.

SkylineRKR

I don't see how March is a bad idea really. The crossover between #DRIVECLUB and Infamous isn't that big and pushing Driveclub further back than March doesn't make much sense either. And honestly they need to get as much quality stuff out there as they can against Titanfall.

I've yet to see Titanfall make a big impact, being an multiplayer only game and a new IP.

But if its the next MW1, then it doesn't matter if Sony is going to put 10 Driveclubs against it or nothing at all. They just need to secure the sequel in that case (which is likely as EA finally has its blockbuster inbetween BF in that case).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Since it was planned as a launch title, I think Sony wants to get this out as soon as they can. I don't think they are concerned about two games in March.

Situacao

After the disaster that was BF4's rushed launch, I think it's only good if Driveclub (or any other game, for that matter) gets delayed for further polishing/testing.

vpance

It's gotta come out in tandem with their VR HMD, but only after a stint of PR and previews. I think they'll unveil VR at E3 and have it come out with DC shortly after. So July.

nofi

You act as if the horribly compressed ten second videos aren't all that we've been getting. But hey, it's an upgrade from when they only released animated gifs of the game.

nonsense. i distinctly remember playing it for about 2 hours last June.

jett

D-Member
DriveClub+Infamous on March would compel me to buy a PS4.

With FM5 being a big success according to NPD, despite being rushed, I wonder how are they feeling at Evo/Sony about delaying DriveClub. :p Hope it works out for them.

Kyoufu

With FM5 being a big success according to NPD, despite being rushed, I wonder how are they feeling at Evo/Sony about delaying DriveClub. :p Hope it works out for them.

I wonder how Sony feels about GT6 being on PS3 instead of PS4.

stryke

I wonder how Sony feels about GT6 being on PS3 instead of PS4.

Being on ps4 would have helped but I do think their release timing was also a bit off. People buying next gen consoles want to buy games for them. If GT stayed away from that kerfuffle in Dec I think it would have done a bit better.

Edit: also for such a flagship title, it seems to me the marketing for it was pretty much non existent. To busy with ps4 I suppose.

Kyoufu

Being on ps4 would have helped but I do think their release timing was also a bit off. People buying next gen consoles want to buy games for them. If GT stayed away from that kerfuffle in Dec I think it would have done a bit better.

Edit: also for such a flagship title, it seems to me the marketing for it was pretty much non existent. To busy with ps4 I suppose.

Yup. Botched in many ways.

coldone

Let them make it a fall release. Take 6 months and get a good product out. I don't want Sony shutting down Evolution because it bombed in metacritic. I want them to be alive to make the next Motorstrom in 2016.

2014 Fall - Drive club
2015 Fall - GT7 (hopefully for vita too)
2016 - Motor storm super HD yaa!!!

Sony puts too much weight on Review ratings. So many great studios were lost.

Famassu

SCEJ is still floundering, Unit 13, Resistance Vita, Killzone has been been continually disappointing and now Evolution is having trouble getting Driveclub out the door.
Unit 13 is a great game, Resistance Vita wasn't developed by a team at Sony, Killzone Mercenaries is the best (single-player) FPS of 2013 and Evolution isn't "having trouble" getting Driveclub released. They were trying to RUSH DriveClub out for launch, now they got a few extra months and are not rushing it out (quite as much). That's not "trouble", that's just them getting a more normal development schedule for their game instead of the kind of rushed one that all launch games pretty much get.

After the disaster that was BF4's rushed launch, I think it's only good if Driveclub (or any other game, for that matter) gets delayed for further polishing/testing.

This is the most logical thinking. Drive club has one shot at being a fantastic game. Once they put it out there thats it.. It will have updates sure but nothing major. EVERYONE should be praising sony and evolution for having the intelligence to realize this and to take their time and make the best game they have and not just rush something out. Youre a moron if youre asking them to release a rushed game. Period

Seanspeed

Banned

DriveClub isn't Forza, though. Its a brand new IP with no name recognition going for it.

I have no idea why the game was delayed and cant even really begin to guess as to what the reason(s) was, so I'm just gonna have to assume they're not idiots and probably had some fair explanation for it.

DriveClub isn't Forza, though. Its a brand new IP with no name recognition going for it.

I have no idea why the game was delayed and cant even really begin to guess as to what the reason(s) was, so I'm just gonna have to assume they're not idiots and probably had some fair explanation for it.

Seeing videos of the game a month before ps4 lunch and seeing new videos a month after the ps4 launched the game improved a ton just from that couple months. They are definitely using their time wisely at least from the only videos we have.

just need them to reach that 60 fps bar...
just played Wipeout HD on my ps3 and framerate makes it look ten times better than other racer...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
No, they're not that silly... the game required polish in certain areas and was delayed to get that polish. The delay was expected before the PS4 thirst became real
We overcomplicate and raise conspiracy theories in our heads a lot don't we? Though, I do remember a comment where an exec said the delay worked out in their favorite when in comes to momentum.

Seanspeed

Banned
Seeing videos of the game a month before ps4 lunch and seeing new videos a month after the ps4 launched the game improved a ton just from that couple months. They are definitely using their time wisely at least from the only videos we have.
Usually when we see videos of games pre-release, they are from older builds.

I'm sure they are putting some polish onto the game while they still have it in the studio, but it already looked really great before(played it in person). I seriously doubt they have any major concerns over the visual quality. I say I couldn't guess at the reason for the delay, but I guess I should retract that and say I that I think graphics weren't a huge concern unless there was some stuff going on that we didn't see that wasn't working out. So the delay is probably for other reasons.

I mean, I guess if they think this is going to be some massive blockbuster series, they might want it to be as insanely perfect as they can get it, but I really don't think this semi-arcade racer is going to be that huge. I highly doubt that the decision to delay was taken lightly and probably wouldn't have been over something that minor.

jett

D-Member

It's true, but Forza kind of sells like shit normally. These are historic numbers for the franchise I believe, all due to being a launch title.

No it doesn't.

In the inevitable comparison to the other big racing franchise, it does. GT 5 alone has outsold Forza entire series combined LTD as far as I know.

Otherwise it sells a fair amount.

EDIT: Double checked that number...GT5 hasn't quite outsold it yet, but is only a couple million off or so....so probably won't, but my point still stands.

Let them make it a fall release. Take 6 months and get a good product out. I don't want Sony shutting down Evolution because it bombed in metacritic. I want them to be alive to make the next Motorstrom in 2016.

2014 Fall - Drive club
2015 Fall - GT7 (hopefully for vita too)
2016 - Motor storm super HD yaa!!!

Sony puts too much weight on Review ratings. So many great studios were lost.
I think it's usually sales that doom studios, not ratings.

Seanspeed

Banned
In the inevitable comparison to the other big racing franchise, it does. GT 5 alone has outsold Forza entire series LTD as far as I know.

Otherwise it sells a fair amount.
I don't understand how that's relevant. Its a tragedy Forza doesn't sell even better, sure, but it certainly doesn't sell like shit.

This idea that Forza 5 is selling in 'historic numbers' is wrong which follows that the presumption that its 'historic numbers' are from being a launch game is also wrong.

EDIT: Double checked that number...GT5 hasn't quite outsold it yet, but is only a couple million off or so....so probably won't, but my point still stands.
You don't really have a point. Or rather, you are missing what the 'point' is, no offense.

I hope it's soon like Feb or early March. I want the game to be great so don't mind the delays...but I'm itching like crazy for a good racing game as I'm not a fan of NFS series and GT wasn't released on ps4.

Chabbles

I hope it's soon like Feb or early March. I want the game to be great so don't mind the delays...but I'm itching like crazy for a good racing game as I'm not a fan of NFS series and GT wasn't released on ps4.

Well if we'r getting Outlast free on psPlus next month. March the earliest for Driveclub.

ScribbleD

The drought posts are really odd. This isn't a new thing. This is every console launch ever. If you buy a new console on launch don't be surprised when it takes 6-12 months before it has a decent catalogue of games.

Skeff

still think it's going to be 28th Feb on PS+ change over day. That'd be a 4 month delay and the game was looking great in November.

Sony's first party studios surely comprise some of the very best and some the very worst in the industry.

43689-Christian-Bale-dafuq-wtf-gif-4Vsk.gif

Well, Shadowfall and Knack were the worst games I played last year and TLOU was one of the best, so I don't think he's wrong.

I think there's a big difference between "worst played" and "worst made." Just because I only play decent games doesn't make the lowest rated one of those "the worst" developer in the industry.

Well, Shadowfall and Knack were the worst games I played last year and TLOU was one of the best, so I don't think he's wrong.

I couldn't enjoy Shadowfall as well, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game, it wasn't my type of game! There are plenty of gamers out there who are playing the multiplayer on shadowfall with utmost dedication!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom