• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"

Dominate is a little strong to assume when their rival is launching at the same time and probably cheaper price point with the rumored subscription option with a console and features that are likely to be the same.

The next Xbox will kill the PS4 in NA (although I think Sony will end up with more marketshare than with the PS3), but I don't expect the next Xbox to do well overseas. Europe and Japan are Sony country. Launching the same year as Microsoft and without the 599.99 US dollars horror hanging over their head will do wonders for Sony.

Minions

Dominate is a little strong to assume when their rival is launching at the same time and probably cheaper price point with the rumored subscription option with a console and features that are likely to be the same.

I'd honestly be more shocked to see the Nextbox launch at the same time as the PS4, than to see a $499 starting price. Perhaps if Microsoft is "rushed" we have another RROD fiasco. I'd prefer both Sony and Microsoft to take their time. If these consoles launch with all promises and no "current" games or "current" software (IE. Gaikai) I feel like it will be lacking. I don't think a 6 month delay is going to sell a ton more consoles... especially if you make the "delayed" console more attractive. If anything it will cause the company that launched first to have worse sales and bad PR.

jaosobno

The next Xbox will kill the PS4 in NA (although I think Sony will end up with more marketshare than with the PS3), but I don't expect the next Xbox to do well overseas. Europe and Japan are Sony country. Launching the same year as Microsoft and without the 599.99 US dollars horror hanging over their head will do wonders for Sony.

I would say that Sony will do much better than Microsoft in Europe (with the exception of UK) and Asia, while UK and USA will be an interesting markets to observe.

I wouldn't count out Sony from USA just yet. PS2 was much more popular than Xbox in USA and X360 still slaughtered PS3 in sales. You never know when the tables can turn again.

And regarding my theory that NextBox will sell much less in Europe and Asia, it's quite simple; Microsoft's new console will most likely, just like X360, be very USA-centric. Most services will probably work only in few selected territories (dominant being USA), not to mention the fact that Microsoft locks out certain content if your reported location and IP address don't match (so you can't create an account with a fake address is your country is not officially Live supported - this is not the case with PS3 and most likely it won't be a case with PS4).

Let's not also forget that PS4 will not come with a $599 price tag (versus $399 Xbox). The two next gen consoles will in all likelihood be evenly priced so people won't be put off by Sony's pricing policy. There is also a small fact that, according to rumors, PS4 has an advantage when it comes to performance and Sony's marketing campaign for PS4 ("Greatness awaits") sounds epic (no more freaky babies/alien-faced people).

Of course, if Microsoft surprises everyone with greater Live support, less strict accounting policy (no country lockouts), etc., they might do much better worldwide, but so far I've failed to hear any rumors that things are developing in that direction.

jcm

Preparing everyone by softening the eventual blow. Smart move Sony. My bet is still 500 dollars for single sku, I doubt they'll do the multi sku thing, if so I don't expect any of them to be below 449.

They won't do tons. I'll bet money they do two though.

Glad we didn't bet money on the sku strategy, and glad you were wrong about the price. :)

Top Bottom