• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't have a problem investing $499 into a console that should have what could be around a solid 5 - 8 years of software support.

$499 all but guarantees slow penetration, which is very bad for the entire industry given how much they seem to be banking on PS4/Durango to rejuvenate the console market.

BadWolf

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't have a problem investing $499 into a console that should have what could be around a solid 5 - 8 years of software support.

You should have a problem because at that price market penetration will be difficult, which means a slower adoption rate and less games for you.

With a solid price there might be a chance to return of the PS1/PS2 glory days.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Just gimme a price so I can start the piggy bank motif.
You may not have a problem with paying $500, but tons of other people do.
If you start saving up from now, I'm sure you'd be fine.

The PS4 will come in three flavors.

$299 subsidized with 2 years of what ever the PS+/streaming service is.

$399 120 gig hard drive.

$499 250 gig hard drive plus download vouchers for games.

*All PS4 will come with the new PSEye

Sony will try and make money on over priced Hard drives, head phones and controllers

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Guess Sony will offer some subscription model as well. My guess is 499 $ without the subscription and 299 $ with some kind of subscription.

There is no way Sonyor MS are goingto release consoles without some kind of subscription models. Everything is bought on credit these days. Consoles won't be different. Apple and Samsung wouldn't pull their numbers if everyone would have to pay 599$ for their phone.

Endo Punk

Good move. Stupid Sony incurred all that loss and a year behind 360 only to be equally as powerful and twice as difficult.

Guess Sony will offer some subscription model as well. My guess is 499 $ without the subscription and 299 $ with some kind of subscription.

There is no way Sonyor MS are goingto release consoles without some kind of subscription models. Everything is bought on credit these days. Consoles won't be different. Apple and Samsung wouldn't pull their numbers if everyone would have to pay 599$ for their phone.

Uh, you have to buy cell phone service to use a phone regardless of contract or not. You don't need to buy PS+ or XBL to use a console.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I may be in the minority but I'm not encouraged at all by this news. All this really means to me as a consumer is a higher MSRP.

None of us have a clue how much it costs to manufacture PS4. Sony isn't saying anything except "no, we're not going to lose $200 a pop this time". Based on that, PS4 will be priced anywhere from $350 to $550.

Uh, you have to buy cell phone service to use a phone regardless of contract or not. You don't need to buy PS+ or XBL to use a console.

Right but I can't imagine not having XBL since MS keeps even simple stuff like Netflix behind the Gold membership. That's actually why my 360 is in the closet right now. PS+ isn't nearly as essential for PS3 owners which is why I can't imagine subsidizing working out as well for Sony as it might for MS.

Piggus

Lol at the $499 predictions. Probably the same people who thought the Vita would be $350+.

Where's the actual logic in thinking it will cost that much?

There's no justification to sell at 499 considering the specs and the fact that they're using off-the-shelf parts. As we saw with the Vita, such an approach leads to more affordable hardware. They weren't even taking a big loss on the Vita even at $250. I guess the hype of 8 GBs of GDDR5 has people false assuming that it's a really expensive part of the system.

Tenumi

Banned
$349 would be the perfect price, and would have me pre-ordering almost immediately. $399 would be alright, and anything above that would be iffy, at least in my opinion.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Look, I have no idea how their gonna pull it off but they'd be darn stupid to not sell the consoles with a subscription model. 500-600 $ is a lot of money many people are not willing to give away but 200-300 $ + a 20 $/ month contract for 2 years.... Sounds way more affordable for most people - me included btw.
They'd sell a shitload of consoles, I guarantee you.

Petrae

Yup I'm predicting $499. Which probably means slow adoption for a year.

I think that we'll see a similar (though somewhat higher) pattern to what we saw with Wii U. Typical early adopters will buy for Q4 and then sales will drop in Q1 2014, followed by a slow recovery in Q2. The generational transition will take place gradually, in phases. Price points-- along with available software-- will govern how gradual the transition is.

If Sony doesn't stay <=$500, though, it's going to be a tougher mountain to climb, especially with cheaper hardware options and more plentiful software for last-gen platforms. Even $500 might be a bit too high. $400 is what I believe to be the lowest viable price point to satisfy Sony's bottom line and make the platform appeal to the widest audience possible at launch.

Subsidies could help out here, but they will have to be well-advertised to educate consumers on the cheaper up-front buying option. I know many folks here aren't big fans of subsidies, but they do make for a more affordable entry point and can entice more people to jump in earlier.

I expect PS4 to cost $400 with a better SKU for $500.
Both will come with a big HDD since it cheaper to do so .
I also expect Sony to get a good deal on the GDDR5 with the amount they taking .

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Subsidies could help out here, but they will have to be well-advertised to educate consumers on the cheaper up-front buying option. I know many folks here aren't big fans of subsidies, but they do make for a more affordable entry point and can entice more people to jump in earlier.

The subsidized model will be the only one they market. $299* with a next gen Call of Duty will be all you hear from MS this holiday season.

Yawnier

Banned
You may not have a problem with paying $500, but tons of other people do.

I never said that other people would not a problem with that in the first place. I'm pretty much just speaking for myself here.

$499 all but guarantees slow penetration, which is very bad for the entire industry given how much they seem to be banking on PS4/Durango to rejuvenate the console market.

I never said that I wanted the pricepoint to be $499, fuck no to that but anybody expecting anything lower than a $399 pricepoint right at launch is just insane (and that is a lowball IMO). Just take a look at what the PS3 and 360 prices are in retail after 6 or 7 years now.

You should have a problem because at that price market penetration will be difficult, which means a slower adoption rate and less games for you.

With a solid price there might be a chance to return of the PS1/PS2 glory days.

On the third party side definitely yes I agree here, but on the first party side eh..... For example, do you think that Nintendo are going to pump out any less first party games in the relatively short term just because the Wii U is selling abysmally worldwide?

Cool I guess.

I have a gut feeling its going to be 499, although I think 399 is the perfect price point. 499 with a 500gig HDD.I think once they went 8 gigs of GDDR5 they threw caution to the wind and said fuck it, 499 it is.

Are people forgetting here that premium X360 launched with price tag of 399$ and was way more high tech for its time compared to PS4? I really don't see how 399 price point is that hard for Sony to reach for basic Model.

Loudninja

No reason really
At the time we developed PS3, we made a lot of in-house investments to develop the chip, the Cell chip. Development of the chip saw the silicon processing and all the facilities invested by us ourselves. But this time, yes we have a team working on chip development, but we already have existing technology to incorporate and also product investment and all the facilities will now be invested by our partners, other foundries, so we don't have to make all the investment in-house."
This is nothing like the PS3 situation.

KAL2006

Banned
$399 - Basic - Headset, 500GB, 1 Month PSN+
$499 - Premium - Headset, 1TB, PS Eye, 3 Months PSN+

PSN+ Instant Game Collection - DriveClub available for free for a year from PS4 launch day 1

People can't predict hardware prices on GAF for shit. I remember a lot of people thought that the Vita was going to be more than 300 dollars because of the hardware and the OLED screen. I predict the PS4 to be 399 dollars. It will not exceed 499 whatsoever.

People can't predict hardware prices on GAF for shit. I remember a lot of people thought that the Vita was going to be more than 300 dollars because of the hardware and the OLED screen. I predict the PS4 to be 399 dollars. It will not exceed 499 whatsoever.

Considering you need an overpriced memory card to play games, that wasn't far off. At launch, a wi-fi unit and an 8GB card was $295

Considering you need an overpriced memory card to play games, that wasn't far off. At launch, a wi-fi unit and an 8GB card was $295

Go back and read the threads. Some people had it as high as 400 dollars. Also, no one mentioned memory cards, but nice try. People were convinced it was another 599.99 US dollars debacle again. I was talking about the price of the actual hardware and I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Go back and read the threads. Some people had it as high as 400 dollars. Also, no one mentioned memory cards, but nice try. People were convinced it was another 599.99 US dollars debacle again. I was talking about the price of the actual hardware and I'm pretty sure you knew that.

I took what YOU said, $300, why are you trying to move the goal posts? As for the memory cards, nobody knew the astronomical prices of those things or that you would NEED them to play games when people were making guesses on the price of the Vita. The simple fact is, a memory card must be included when determining the price of the hardware, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PLAY GAMES WITHOUT ONE. The entry price for a Vita is basically $300, so in handheld terms it is basically another $599.99 debacle

Wynnebeck

Banned
I took what YOU said, $300, why are you trying to move the goal posts? As for the memory cards, nobody knew the astronomical prices of those things or that you would NEED them to play games when people were making guesses on the price of the Vita. The simple fact is, a memory card must be included when determining the price of the hardware, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PLAY GAMES WITHOUT ONE. The entry price for a Vita is basically $300, so in handheld terms it is basically another $599.99 debacle

Hindsight is always 20/20. People predicted it being some ridiculous price. It wasn't. Whether you feel it was another $599.99 debacle is irrelevant.

Spinluck

I'm still betting on $449 and $399. $349 would be a godsend, and would make the Wii U's life a hell of a lot hard, but I don't think they'd go that low. It would be amazing if they did, it will be just like what Sony did with the Vita's price announcement, except. They have a far better chance of capturing the console market again than the handheld market. But I think they're gonna be more concerned about Xbox 3's pricing than Wii U's current price.

The proprietary cards are bullshit, and the lack of on board storage is also bullshit. I'd say it was more of a "catch" than another $599 debacle, hyperbole much? But with that said, people predicted some outrageous prices for Vita and were way off. The hidden cost is irrelevant to that fact, that ,and usually hidden cost and consoles go hand in hand.

Believe in a standard $399 SKU, and a deluxe/premium $449 SKU, GAF, believe and it will happen.

Johnny

$499 with a camera and one month of Plus. $299 if you sign up for Plus at $15/month for two years. Both MS and Sony will have to make the camera mandatory this gen if they want it to take off.

Speaking of the sub model, can anyone here explain to me how does the $99 Xbox deal works like? What will happen if you didn't keep paying the sub? You just lose the ability to play online?

BadWolf

Sony is lucky in that their E3 conference takes place both after the 720 reveal and the MS E3 conference so they can plan accordingly and really screw over MS if they wanted to.

399 instabuy
499 instabuy

I don't even care, I just need all this next gen goodness.

I think those will be the two SKU prices.

Only way MS can sway me is to surprise with same specs and interesting first party IP. I have a feeling they'll have a hard time competing with Sony's first party games once E3 announcements are added in.

jaosobno

Basic pack: console+one controller+PS eye = $449 (it's possible it could be as low as $399 if Sony feels like sacrificing money per console in order to gain market penetration and cover losses with software attach rate)

Premium pack: console+one controller+bundled game+1 year PSN+PS eye = $499

Biker19

Banned
Don't complain. If you want something decent, you need to pay up. Don't settle for less just to want a cheaper price.

So true. There are people that always want something that's more powerful, etc., but then gets offended about the price tag when the price of the product isn't what they want it at.

"Sony should sell this console at $400 & take between more $100 to $200 losses! They did it before with PS3, they should do it again with PS4!", etc.

Sony can't exactly afford to do that again like they did with PS3. It will risk crumbling more than just their gaming division, but the company as a whole.

Top Bottom