• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"

Piggus

So can anyone tell me why they think it will be $499 other than "lol GDDR5"? Because that price makes absolutely no sense whatsoever given the hardware.

Sony says they don't want to take a major loss and people start talking about 349.99? Really?

So can anyone tell me why they think it will be $499 other than "lol GDDR5"? Because that price makes absolutely no sense whatsoever given the hardware.

For some reason people can't seem to figure out that hardware costs are not the only thing that goes into a console's price. Manufacturing, shipping, and storage alone are other ontributors to the price. I don't think it will be 499 necessarily, but the total costs to put on store shelves will probably be somewhere around there.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So can anyone tell me why they think it will be $499 other than "lol GDDR5"?

Because, when have you ever bought a Sony home console under $500 at launch? Besides the PS1 (costo, $300).

ape2man

but that costs a lot to make. i saw that 8bg of gddr5 is $300 to make. thats pure costs

there's a table floating around the net of the production costs of ram in video cards.

Piggus

Because, when have you ever bought a Sony home console under $500 at launch? Besides the PS1.

The PS2 was $299.

The PS3 was the only system over $499 due to MANY of the components being entirely custom-made. The Blu-Ray diodes were a huge problem in particular. There is nothing in the PS4 that would drive up costs in the same way. Even the PS2 was more cutting edge for the time.

but that costs a lot to make. i saw that 8bg of gddr5 is $300 to make. thats pure costs

there's no way Sony is paying that much for it. Buying it in such mass quantities will drive the costs down and the wholesale price is likely much lower than $300 to begin with

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The PS2 was $299.

The PS3 was the only system over $499 due to MANY of the components being entirely custom-made. The Blu-Ray diodes were a huge problem in particular. There is nothing in the PS4 that would drive up costs in the same way. Even the PS2 was more cutting edge for the time.
I could have sworn that the ps2 launched at 299

I'm Canadian, PS2 was +500 with tax, (it was also a dvd player, so people bought it, just like PS3). I'm betting it will be 449-499.
Sure there's no Blu-ray high costs this time around, but I don't expect under 449. NO WAY!

It seems Americans forget that we (Canada) weren't always the $uperpower we are today.

Piggus

Profitability right out the gate.

Doubt it. Much more important to give the system a big head start and allow it to become well-established in the market rather than start off slow. The price was a major factor in the PS3's slow start. They're not going to repeat that.

there's a table floating around the net of the production costs of ram in video cards.

It doesn't cost nearly that much. GDDR5 is not new tech.

Why do people always talk about the PS3 being $599 when the lowest SKU was $499?

Not that it was untrue of course, but it seems weird to point out the highest SKU.

prag16

Banned
You don't know that. We don't have a BOM yet obviously, and contrary to popular belief the BOM is far from the whole story. I'd be very surprised if any $499 SKU is profitable. $399 flows the red ink with gusto. I obviously don't know for sure either but that's what I would expect.

Johnny

I'm Canadian, PS2 was +500 with tax, (it was also a dvd player, so people bought it, just like PS3). I'm betting it will be 449-499.
Sure there's no Blu-ray high costs this time around, but I don't expect under 449. NO WAY!

It seems Americans forget that we (Canada) weren't always the $uperpower we are today.

No one's using Canadian dollar amounts in this thread.

ape2man

Now that's just straight up false.

i think i was a bit off.
Could not find my old table here is the new one.

gpuq3280ufv.png

Can some one calculate the rate of growth 8gb would cost.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
i think i was a bit off.

I doubt scaling older GDDR prices from a few years back is going to be meaningful.

A 2GB vs 4GB GTX680 MSRP is a $20 difference right now, so I expect Sony is getting their memory for $50-$80. They should get pretty good prices by making long term agreements for huge bulk amounts.

HyperionX

I doubt scaling older GDDR prices from a few years back is going to be meaningful.

A 2GB vs 4GB GTX680 MSRP is a $20 difference right now, so I expect Sony is getting their memory for $50-$80. They should get pretty good prices by making long term agreements for huge bulk amounts.

It's about $80-100 difference right now on most websites. I've yet to see any evidence that GDDR5 is getting cheaper.

I'm pretty sure that PS4 is going to be in the $500-600 range at launch, excluding any sort of contract subsidized models. If they're not planning to lose large amounts of money at launch then $400 should be out of the question.

THE:MILKMAN

i think i was a bit off.
Could not find my old table here is the new one.

gpuq3280ufv.png

I have posted that graph before. Thing is we don't know how accurate these estimates are and on top that the graph I think is at least 2 years old.

One possibly interesting point (or not) is that it lists the 6950's 8 2Gbit chips (2GB) at $36.90 vs $18.45 for 8 1Gbit chips (1GB) for the 6850.

Could this mean 8GB of GDDR5 (4Gbit chips) costs the same for Sony has the "original" 4GB RAM using 2Gb chips? Or at least cost reduce to that level quickly?

CrunchyB

Summary:

We have Sony people saying "It will be very affordable", "It will be very powerful" and "We won't take major losses"

I'm guessing at least one of those three won't be true.

Adjusted for inflation, the PS3 was $680 at launch (20GB SKU was immediately discontinued and near impossible to find, it doesn't count).

I'd love to think there will be a $399 SKU, as it would be the first giant launch-to-launch generational price drop since Saturn->Dreamcast, and one of the few generational price drops period, but I just can't be that optimistic.

My guess is $449 is the absolute cheapest we will see a PS4 launch SKU and I am expecting $499 (and possibly just a single SKU).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Weren't they gonna make a deal with an ISP?

I'm thinking they're both(Microsoft and Sony) going to offer their systems for $299 plus two years of Internet service. It's a great way to "win" the PR of pricing, without actually having to lose money.

Zertez

I know the PS3 had a bad launch, but I would hope every company tries for the same thing. Planning on taking major losses on a product launch is a horrible business model and quickly kills any company that makes it a habit. If an up and coming project is set to incur major losses, you would hope the company would have enough common sense to pull it before it becomes a money pit to throw away money. I know MS is a big culprit of this bad philosophy as well. I would hope if I ever have a company of my own, I would release products that are set to make a profit on release or at worse incur a small loss the first few quarters. I guess that is why I dont have a successful company, Im missing something in the big picture.

Key2001

Where is that from? Even if you double the price of the highest chip ($6.07/chip) on that 2011 chart it only comes out to $194.24. I doubt that it is near double the 2011 price of the chips found in the 6970. My guess is that it is around $8 or less per chip.

Assuming Sony is going with Hynix.
Hynix [H5GC4H24MFR-T3C] 4-Gbit GDDR5 Chip (Mass Production Q1'2013)
PS4 (8GB) Price ??? [H5GC4H24MFR-T3C] Sixteen 4-Gbit GDDR5 Chips

Hynix [H5GQ2H24MFR-T2C] 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chip (Mass Produciton Sep'2010)
6670 (1GB) Price $99 Four 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips ($4.61 per chip in Q1'2011)
6950 (2GB) Price $299 Eight 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips ($4.61 per chip in Q1'2011)
7750 (1GB) Price $109 Four 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips
7770 (1GB) Price $159 Four 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips
7850 (2GB) Price $249 Eight 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips
7870 (2GB) Price $349 Eight 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips
7950 (3GB) Price $449 Twelve 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips

Hynix [H5GQ2H24MFR-R0C] 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chip (Mass Produciton Sep'2010)
6970 (2GB) Price $369 Eight 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips ($6.07 per chip in Q1'2011)
7970 (3GB) Price $549 Twelve 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips

Hynix [H5GQ1H24AFR-T2C] 1-Gbit GDDR5 Chip (Mass Production Q2'2009)
6850 (1GB) Price $179 Eight 1-Gbit GDDR5 Chips ($2.31 per chip in Q1'2011)
6870 (1GB) Price $239 Eight 1-Gbit GDDR5 Chips ($2.31 per chip in Q1'2011)

Hynix [H5GQ2H24AFR-R0C] 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chip (Mass Production Q4'2011)
7790 (1GB) Price $149 Four 2-Gbit GDDR5 Chips

In Q1'2011 the [H5GQ2H24MFR-R0C] was the top tier GDDR5 chip offered by Hynix.

HyperionX

Ya'll are crazy, nothing in the PS4 screams $499 minimum. It'll be $399 and $499.

Except for that part where they said they're not going to be losing money at launch...

Xbox 360 was basically the same thing as PS4 at launch, and they lost buckets of money at $399. And that was 2005 dollars. Unless they plan on cutting something out, this going to be an expensive machine.

Key2001

Except for that part where they said they're not going to be losing money at launch...

Xbox 360 was basically the same thing as PS4 at launch, and they lost buckets of money at $399. And that was 2005 dollars. Unless they plan on cutting something out, this going to be an expensive machine.

They said they won't be taking a major loss. They will still be taking a loss, it just won't be on the level that the PS3 was.

People are seriously thinking $399? No chance in hell. This thing will be $450 minimum. If they are already saying they are not going to take losses this thing will be ~$500.

People are seriously thinking $399? No chance in hell. This thing will be $450 minimum. If they are already saying they are not going to take losses this thing will be ~$500.

First of all, you have no basis for your claims. We don't know if the Playstation camera will be in every console, for one. That would increase the price by quite a bit. We don't know how much money it costs to make the new controller. We do know, however, that Blu Ray technology is cheaper. We do know that this thing isn't going to have the ultra expensive Cell processor in it. We do know that they're using cheaper, off the shelf parts. So there is no indication that this console is going to approach 500 dollars. This console has a much better chance of being closer to 399 than it does 499.

Where is that from? Even if you double the price of the highest chip ($6.07/chip) on that 2011 chart it only comes out to $194.24. I doubt that it is near double the 2011 price of the chips found in the 6970. My guess is that it is around $8 or less per chip.

Assuming Sony is going with Hynix.

In Q1'2011 the [H5GQ2H24MFR-R0C] was the top tier GDDR5 chip offered by Hynix.

Yep. RAM gets cheap fast especially at bulk prices. manufacturers couldn't keep up speed wise with processors, so they worked on making it cheap so you could throw tons of it in systems to negate speed issues between [processor <- cache <-main memory]

Bsigg12

First of all, you have no basis for your claims. We don't know if the Playstation camera will be in every console, for one. That would increase the price by quite a bit. We don't know how much money it costs to make the new controller. We do know, however, that Blu Ray technology is cheaper. We do know that this thing isn't going to have the ultra expensive Cell processor in it. We do know that they're using cheaper, off the shelf parts. So there is no indication that this console is going to approach 500 dollars. This console has a much better chance of being closer to 399 than it does 499.

So the custom AMD CPU/GPU is off the shelf? It certainly won't total anywhere near the PS3 because R&D costs there were stupid as all hell and it showed. The tech here is still custom and upfront will cost a bit for Sony for the first 1-2 year but they'll fall much quicker. The fact is both systems will be priced higher than a lot of people will like because its typically the gaming side that buys at and close to launch. Both the PS3 and 360 are thriving 7 and 8 years respectively into their lifetime which is insane in console gaming. The statement however leads me to believe they will avoid the $599.99 but it won't be below $449.99 to make sure they are only losing a little per console while dropping the price of the PS3 again.

Wolfie5

They said they are not planning to take a major loss. Sounds to me like they are still planning on taking a loss, but just not a major one. Question is, where do they draw the line? What do they consider to be a major loss?

I think there will be a $399 SKU.

Loudninja

Again Yoshida said this after the reveal:
When asked if the company was prepared to compete with other consoles and hit a more favorable price, Yoshida said that Sony's decisions to use custom AMD hardware instead of its own proprietary Cell architecture has allowed it to save on R&D and production costs.

"The architecture choice we have made this time around has allowed us not to invest to create dedicated factories and conducting factories and things like that — so that helps in order for us to provide an affordable price to consumers."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost

I guarantee you they'll take a loss in the NA market and price the PS4 slightly higher in the European and Asian markets to get back that money. The true money is made in software and they know that.

They said they are not planning to take a major loss. Sounds to me like they are still planning on taking a loss, but just not a major one. Question is, where do they draw the line? What do they consider to be a major loss?

I think there will be a $399 SKU.

The PS3 was some ridiculous $900 something to produce so even at $600....god damn. Cell and Blu Ray were a real bitch in the cost department.

The PS3 was some ridiculous $900 something to produce so even at $600....god damn. Cell and Blu Ray were a real bitch in the cost department.

Exactly. And people really should look at the Vita and its pricing to get a good idea. When the Vita was announced countless people on GAF said it would be 300-400 dollars because of the tech and the screen. A few people thought that it might cost more than that. And then Sony comes out and announce their price point any everyone is shocked. Like I said earlier, I expect two SKUs and neither of them will surpass 499.99.

I can't wait. In just one month, the price will surely be revealed, and I'll click the confirm your order button on Amazon. Can't wait for that feeling.

Top Bottom