• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra (6.4'', 1080p, Snapdragon 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h45uTBGftkQ

6.4 inch 1080p Triluminos display
Snapdragon 800 processor 2.2ghz
2GB RAM
3000mAh battery
212 gram
6.5mm body
IP58 water and dustproof
Will work with a stylus

CNET hands on
I found the 6.44-inch full-HD Triluminos display to be stunning. The colors were vibrant and crisp, and Sony seems to have resolved the color shift issue first encountered with the Xperia Z. Like more recent Sony Mobile handsets, the Xperia Z Ultra uses onscreen menu buttons.

As a phablet, the Z Ultra will work with a stylus. While it doesn't come with one, the smartphone’s display is capable of taking notes using the built-in handwriting recognition tool. Interestingly, besides the standard capacitive stylus, the Z Ultra also lets you use a pencil or a metal pen to write on the screen, but it is not pressure sensitive, so it won't be able to detect if you're trying to draw a thicker line. You'll have to manually select your brush size in the Sketch app.

Powered by a 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, you can expect the Z Ultra to be blazing fast, and it is. Initial 3DMark figures revealed scores of 16,828 and 11,906 for the Ice Storm and Ice Storm Extreme tests, respectively. However, do bear in mind this is a prototype unit, and these scores are not final.

Xperia-Z-Ultra-%285%29_610x407.jpg

Xperia-Z-Ultra-%2811%29_610x407.jpg

Xperia-Z-Ultra-%281%29_610x407.jpg

13_xperia_z_ultra_black_group.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/sony-xperia-z-ultra/4505-6452_7-35798774.html

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/sony-xperia-z-ultra/

JordanKZ

Whilst everyone is right in saying this phone is stupidly huge. Those specs are insane. A 2.2ghz Snapdragon 800 is going to run circles around everything else.

Zaptruder

Banned
OK. Now that this humongous freakazoid phone is out of the way, they can announce their i1/Honami BEST SMART PHONE EVER*

*for this year only.

yogloo

I don't think it is apt to call our devices smartphones anymore. I think the term PDA is actually more suitable for them considering their capabilities.

Mario007

Xperiablog commentary:
It also includes X-Reality™ for mobile – Sony’s intelligent super resolution display technology which analyses each image and reproduces missing pixels to enhance quality for the sharpest videos.
Unlike many other smartphones Sony are targeting the business market with Xperia Z Ultra, with a super responsive screen and handwriting recognition that can be used with any pencil and selected stylus or pen (a capacitive stylus or metal pen with tip diameter over 1mm). Having an easy toggle keyboard is aimed at helping with multi tasking or one-handed use.

The handset weighs just 212 grams, and will be available in a choice of black, white or purple. It is expected to launch from Q3 2013 (although exact launch dates will vary depending on the market).

Other features include:
• Sony’s TRILUMINOS® Display
• A 6.5mm body
• The 8 megapixel camera features “Exmor RS for mobile”, HDR for both photos and film, and Superior Auto mode which automatically activates HDR and noise reduction when needed
• Sony have indicated that Xperia Z Ultra will include a free entertainment content offer, including a free trial of the Music Unlimited service (subject to availability).
• The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with HD voice, 2.2 GHz quad-core CPUs and 4G LTE
• Battery STAMINA Mode which improves the standby time by four times as it recognises when you’re not using your display and automatically turns off the functions you don’t need, while keeping the notifications you want.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/25/sony-ushers-in-the-next-revolution-the-xperia-z-ultra/

Looks like a beast.

Looks amazing. Being 6'4" and having large hands/thing fingers, these phone sizes are ok in my book. 4" phones look like fisher-price toys to me.

Any idea of the carrier support in the US for this or is Sony US sitting this one out too?

No carrier support in the US. Not even T-Mobile.

Will be sold unsubsidised via retailers, no pricing info yet, but it will be expensive. $699 is what I think it will be.

It will release on Bell and Rodgers in Canada.

Ashes

Banned
A shame it's going to cost as much a $500 smartphone and not $199 7 inch tablet. Otherwise, this would have been so bought. As a tablet.

Mario007

No carrier support in the US. Not even T-Mobile.

Will be sold unsubsidised via retailers, no pricing info yet, but it will be expensive. $699 is what I think it will be.

It will release on Bell and Rodgers in Canada.
This is the one part of the Sony strategy that still boggles my mind. Here's hoping Honami might change that somewhat.

And I thought I looked silly talking on galaxy note 2. The video shows a tiny bluetooth thingy so you don't have to slap that huge thing on your face, but.....

A shame it's going to cost as much a $500 smartphone and not $199 7 inch tablet. Otherwise, this would have been so bought. As a tablet.

Because that's what companies do. Give you nice things for little to no money...

Tempered Glass on the rear? Jesus, don't drop it, whatever you do.

I think it's soft plastic like the Tablet Z.

This is the one part of the Sony strategy that still boggles my mind. Here's hoping Honami might change that somewhat.

Don't count on it.

slider

How do people find the relatively pointy corners on the Sony phones? I only ask because it was mentioned as a negative on The Gadget Show last night!

this looks really cool. but doesn't sony experia phones have really poor battery?

Looks amazing. Being 6'4" and having large hands/thing fingers, these phone sizes are ok in my book. 4" phones look like fisher-price toys to me.

yeah, im wit ya. I love my Iphone 4s but my fingers cover the entire screen:(

Ashes

Banned
Because that's what companies do. Give you nice things for little to no money...

Ouch.

I hope it fails as a mobile device if they sell it for $600.

I was looking at the ipad mini the other day, and it always astounds me how they go from £250 something pounds to around £500 and something.

I'm 6'8" and feel the same way. I have a Lumia 920 and it feels tiny to me. My next phone is going to be at least a 6incher.

How do people find the relatively pointy corners on the Sony phones? I only ask because it was mentioned as a negative on The Gadget Show last night!

I like it it looks elegant. . Not a huge fan of roundness.

I have read some nice comments on the xperia skin but I prefer stock. My current note 2 was a gift. I promise myself my next phone has to be a nexus.

I'm 6'8" and feel the same way. I have a Lumia 920 and it feels tiny to me. My next phone is going to be at least a 6incher.

Well you've found your next phone I think!

It's about a million times better than the Galaxy Mega 6.3, and the Ascend. Hopefully you live in the civilised world and can get it from carriers at a subsidised price!

Polari

Those benchmarks are insane. By way of comparison, the US Galaxy S4 with a Snapdragon 600 hits around 12,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom