• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra (6.4'', 1080p, Snapdragon 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jourdy

Where did you order it? I'm looking to buy a Z Ultra shortly too. If you want a large-screened phone, then I wouldn't worry about the other upcoming "flagship" Sony. It might have a slightly better camera, but the specs will be otherwise similar, with a smaller screen. After using a Galaxy S3 for a year, and several tablets, I've come to the realization I would prefer a larger screen on my phone. So it's Ultra for me.

I'm not from the US, I just ordered it online from a retailer and I will pick it up in a few hours. Ill take pics of it when I receive it.

i1 is 5", it is a phone. ZU is 6.4", it is a phablet. They are both in different categories. Anyway, they share a common hardware platform, the specs are basically identical.

Thank you, that at least put me a bit at ease. I thought the i1 had a lot of major upgrades again. Nothing more irritating IMO than ordering a gadget then realizing it's old before you even get it.

Bread

Banned
holy fuck that thing is huge

i already feel like a tool with my gigantic razr maxx in the pocket of my jeans, i don't know where i'd put that thing.

antispin

New update just got pushed. .475, just stability and improved touch response.

All of the early reviews are stupid, but then I think Sony were stupid to put it on sale without final firmware. So they deserve what they get. However, complaints about the screen are absolutely 100% A grade bullshit.

Yup, agreed. I think they wanted to beat Note 3 to market and cut corners for it. Firmware is half-baked. Screen is gorgeous.

jourdy

Got my Ultra Z an hour ago.

Some shitty pics taken by my S4:

JYyrMjC.jpg

Side by side with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
oez8e34.jpg

First thing you will notice is how big it is. I mean, I researched about it online numerous times.. but still shocked me when I saw it in person. Fits in my pocket though, so it's fine. My concern is when I'm wearing jeans.. will it still fit?

Also, I am on the fence about removing the plastic shield on the screen and body. I was looking to buy a casing and a screen protector but was told there are none available yet. So, how do you guys protect this thing? It is very big, very easy for a klutz like me to damage it.

Radec

First thing you will notice is how big it is. I mean, I researched about it online numerous times.. but still shocked me when I saw it in person. Fits in my pocket though, so it's fine. My concern is when I'm wearing jeans.. will it still fit?

Well, since you already have it, why don't you try it for yourself?

:p

Some shitty pics taken by my S4:

Also, I am on the fence about removing the plastic shield on the screen and body. I was looking to buy a casing and a screen protector but was told there are none available yet. So, how do you guys protect this thing? It is very big, very easy for a klutz like me to damage it.

Sweet, how is the battery life compared to your other devices?

Brandson

You can try asking someone on Etsy to make you a custom-sized case based on an existing design for sale there. Most vendors there would be willing to do that. That's what I'm going to do whenever I get an Ultra. The flip cover in the Ultra promo video looks great though, but who knows what it is, or whether Sony will offer an official case like that.

I'm in Canada so would have to order the phone from the UK. Any ideas if this site is reputable? http://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z-ultra

jourdy

Can't order from Etsy. Shipping will be a problem for me.

So far, battery life has been so-so. Nothign special but not bad. Most of my battery consumption has been eaten away by the screen. Haven't really had enough time to assess but I will update this thread when I have come up with a conclusion.

The screen is its strongest suit. It really makes you want to tinker with the phone. Combined with the big size, watching movies and browsing the web is fun.

My only complaints:

THE CAMERA. I'm not sure if if it's my settings, but my experience with it has been total crap. I am comparing with the Note 2 and S4 - Pictures taken with the Xperia ZU are oversaturated. Taking pictures in low light produces very blurry edges. There are lot of settings, so maybe I haven't calibrated it fully yet. There seem to be lots of shooting modes, somewhat like my NEX-6. Also: No flash!

VOLUME. Seems pretty weak. Couldn't hear messages notifications at all when in busy places. For such a big phone, I would expect the volume to be much louder than it is. My S4 is much, much louder.

jourdy

Took pics a while ago

Color is more vivid than my Alienware 18's screen.
A2mImLP.jpg

AGAfHQ1.jpg

Side by side with Japanese aluminum coke can
yEQKKWi.jpg

jourdy

I tested what she did on that youtube video.
It does do that.

At 100% brightness and auto brightness off, the black is not a deep black and it does turn whitish when you look at it from certain angles. Upon using auto-brightness however, it does not seem to do that.

100% brightness doesn't look so natural either way for me. I always use auto-brightness with the scale at max. 100% brightness without "adapt to lighting conditions" produces faded looking blacks, it is very evident even in the settings menu.

Fezan

I tested what she did on that youtube video.
It does do that.

At 100% brightness and auto brightness off, the black is not a deep black and it does turn whitish when you look at it from certain angles. Upon using auto-brightness however, it does not seem to do that.

100% brightness doesn't look so natural either way for me. I always use auto-brightness with the scale at max. 100% brightness without "adapt to lighting conditions" produces faded looking blacks, it is very evident even in the settings menu.

more concerned about such a low contrast ratio

xclaw

Any current user reviews? I'm up for a hardware refresh and it's between this and the Note 3 but I'm swooning towards the larger screen of the Ultra because my main use of my current device is in the manner of a tablet.

satam357

Banned
Never one ever posted this:

Sony's Wi-Fi-only Xperia Z Ultra sees smartphone morph into tablet
By Sam Byford on January 21, 2014 09:27 pm

fi06-25_09-05-204_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Sony's Xperia Z Ultra exists on the very peripheries of what we might call a phone; its huge 6.4-inch 1080p display is great for some things, but using it to make calls or carrying it in your pocket every day might cause problems. To that end, Sony has announced a new Wi-Fi-only model of the device for release in Japan, and the press release refers to it throughout as a "tablet."

Beyond the removal of cellular radios, the Wi-Fi model appears to be identical to the regular Xperia Z Ultra, featuring the same 6.5mm-thick waterproof casing, 8-megapixel camera, and Android 4.2 software.

Sony hasn't announced whether this model will come to the US or elsewhere, but it'll be available in Japan this week for ¥52,000 (about $499). US customers can currently buy the LTE-equipped version for $649.99 from Sony, or a Google Play edition with stock Android for the same price.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/21/5332894/sony-xperia-z-ultra-wi-fi-only-model-announced

I guess that will be Sony's defacto 7-inch tablet, for now.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Is this thing out in the wild yet in Canada? I'm interested, but I want to see it first. Also - will it get Android updates regularly like the Nexus line of phones? I'm not too familiar with Sony's software support of its Android sets.

Fezan

Haha, that thing is not a phone...

Yeah but its great for entertainment. My room mate bought it and now a days a i do every thing on it from watching show to reading books . Really guys if money is not a problem its like best gadget to have while traveling. Camera is shitty tough

Is this thing out in the wild yet in Canada? I'm interested, but I want to see it first. Also - will it get Android updates regularly like the Nexus line of phones? I'm not too familiar with Sony's software support of its Android sets.

This has been out in Canada for a while now.

I bought the Xperia Z late last year over the Z Ultra for a couple of reasons, one was that the Ultra wasn't available easily at the time, and two the Ultra doesn't have a flash (which I realized I actively try not to use it).

Then I saw one in person (owned by a hot japanese girl to boot)

J0qVl0Y.jpg

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This has been out in Canada for a while now.

I've been out of the cellphone game for a long time - cool. Now to see if I can get it without a contract. Any idea on firmware support?

Edit: Just checked the carriers in my area and the cell phone distributors, nobody seems to have it?

Edit 2: Looks like it's exclusive to Bell. Sigh.

I really like the design on the Xperia range and I'll probably get one when my Galaxy S3 contract finishes in November, but goddamn a 6.4 inch screen is far too big for practical use.

iJudged

Banned
LTTP, just got this fucking thing for a steal. I am in love all over :) goodness this device is amazing.

Upgraded from, HTC one.

Someone please recommend me a good case, maybe with battery, and anything else I should be aware of?

Using t-mobile... Speed test
Download: 19.34 Mbps | Upload: 7.13 Mbps | Ping: 47 ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom