• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra (6.4'', 1080p, Snapdragon 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Tron

I've had it for about a week now. It's nothing great. Manages a day. On stamina mode and allowing for Gmail and Whatsapp pushes, I get around 12-14 hours but screen on time is typically around the hour mark. If I push the screen time, then battery drops fast.

Thanks a lot. That doesn't sound that great :( BTW big phone? Ha! I use a Galaxy Tab 7.7 :D

darkwing

ok is this opposite day ?

olvh.jpg

iy2z.jpg

lphi.jpg

Xperia z Ultra screen vs macbook retina screen

woah

Seems over-saturated but vastly, vastly better than previous Sony smartphone screens. Hopefully Honami and so forth start packing this display quality because past Sony flagships have been packing mediocre screens.

Fezan

Seems over-saturated but vastly, vastly better than previous Sony smartphone screens. Hopefully Honami and so forth start packing this display quality because past Sony flagships have been packing mediocre screens.

just looking at the first screen you can see retina has more over blown colors

Mokubba

You can probably use your press pass from work, they won't know any better!

The pencil uses a new type of technology, it's not commercially viable for tablet screens just yet. Expect it in next year's Tablet Z II though.

Can't wait to see Honami but Zomq mentioned the Xperia Tablet Z II earlier. I already have an Xperia Z so this is what I'm looking forward to, even though it probably won't be out till next year.

The viewing angle comparison was left out:

XZU-v-HO_3-640x480.jpg

XZU-v-HO_4-640x480.jpg

Same or better viewing angles when compared to the HTC One.

I've seen the screen in real life, it really does have to be seen to appreciate how amazing it is. So far ahead of every other phone or tablet, if review sites complain about this one, then I really don't know what they want other than some kind of stupid marketing term like "Retina" or "S-LCD3".

From what I know the screen for i1 is better, higher contrast ratio and slightly wider viewing angles. The screen I saw on the prototype blew me away, and the guy who showed me said it was the final prototype before mass production, so they should be using the same quality panel (two I think, AUO-AHVA-IPS and JDI-AH-IPS). I don't know the exact specs, but I think it is around 1900:1 CR (the same as what is going into the next iPhone supposedly) 90% CR up to 160 degrees off angle and super low response times and low input lag.

As for the Tab Z II, might be late November, just a refresh though, won't bring any new features, just APQ8074 and Android 4.3 out of the box, possibly using the same panel type as the Ultra and i1. Tab Z will go down to $399/£329 to compete with the iPad 2 price point.

Fezan

I've seen the screen in real life, it really does have to be seen to appreciate how amazing it is. So far ahead of every other phone or tablet, if review sites complain about this one, then I really don't know what they want other than some kind of stupid marketing term like "Retina" or "S-LCD3".

From what I know the screen for i1 is better, higher contrast ratio and slightly wider viewing angles. The screen I saw on the prototype blew me away, and the guy who showed me said it was the final prototype before mass production, so they should be using the same quality panel (two I think, AUO-AHVA-IPS and JDI-AH-IPS). I don't know the exact specs, but I think it is around 1900:1 CR (the same as what is going into the next iPhone supposedly) 90% CR up to 160 degrees off angle and super low response times and low input lag.

As for the Tab Z II, might be late November, just a refresh though, won't bring any new features, just APQ8074 and Android 4.3 out of the box, possibly using the same panel type as the Ultra and i1. Tab Z will go down to $399/£329 to compete with the iPad 2 price point.
SO will it have s800 or same s4

|ync

When might we expect this honami to be available in NA?

Are we talking end of this year? End of next year?

I have no idea how long these devices take from announcement to release.

neo2046

Same or better viewing angles when compared to the HTC One.

any news about honami mini ?

any news about honami mini ?

Just rumours.

This is what I have heard so far, but is subject to change.

4.3" 720p AH-IPS (same tech as ZU), Triluminous.
~1.9GHz S800
2GB RAM
16GB+microSD
~2600mAh
9mm thickness
"Sense of Quartz" I think this means the sides are cut to 45 degree angles which makes the phone easier to handle
Metal and glass construction
IP58
Omnibalance design, top and bottom bezels are about 12-14mm, side bezels are 2mm
Stereo speakers, similar to i1 in design, but one on the top as well now instead of L/R being next to each other on the bottom.

No word on the camera, I figure they will use the same 20.7MP 1/2.3", but it could be too big. There is a 16MP 1/3.07" sensor in reserve, so that could be used instead.

antispin

The screen is the best aspect of this device. Both size and quality. Can't go back. Followed by the overall design. Performance takes a close third.

Just rumours.

~1.9GHz S800
2GB RAM
16GB+microSD
~2600mAh
9mm thickness
"Sense of Quartz" I think this means the sides are cut to 45 degree angles which makes the phone easier to handle
IP58
Omnibalance design, top and bottom bezels are about 12-14mm, side bezels are 2mm
Stereo speakers, similar to i1 in design, but one on the top as well now instead of L/R being next to each other on the bottom.

No word on the camera, I figure they will use the same 20.7MP 1/2.3", but it could be too big. There is a 16MP 1/3.07" sensor in reserve, so that could be used instead.

If I could get a Google Play Store version of that phone, that just might bring me back to Android

Mario007

If I could get a Google Play Store version of that phone, that just might bring me back to Android
Honestly Sony's UI is very close to stock with only graphical changes that help to create a sense of consistency in the UI which stock android currently still lacks.

Lo-Volt

That's definitely too big for my pockets, but I always have a soft spot for Sony's slabs. It's light years ahead of what Sony Ericsson used to put out, and that might be all that's needed for 'enough' people to pick this monolith and make it a success like the Xperia Z. If I were in the market for an Android phone, I'd look it up (the Z, not this thing that makes the One look like My First Smartphone).

Mokubba

Thanks for the info.

Any chance of them using a aluminium back and frame like the i1 and an increase to IP58?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just rumours.

~1.9GHz S800
2GB RAM
16GB+microSD
~2600mAh
9mm thickness
IP58

Sounds good.

neo2046

Just rumours.

~1.9GHz S800
2GB RAM
16GB+microSD
~2600mAh
9mm thickness
IP58

thanks ! sound good.
4.5" screen is even better though
and hope 9mm thickness means the battery is removable

XZ and the the rumored Honami spec are a little big to me
because personally I prefer a phone that can handled by one hand
I also prefer a better battery life rather than larger screen
If not the Xperia ZR's screen quality and ROM size, I have already bought the phone

Honestly Sony's UI is very close to stock with only graphical changes that help to create a sense of consistency in the UI which stock android currently still lacks.

It's not just stock Android I want. I want to get the latest OS updates without my carrier mucking with it and dragging their ass on releasing it OTA.

edit:direct updates from google or bust!

Chinner

Banned
to be fair, the screen on the Z/ZL are beasts and are really competitive. its just the viewing angles that let it down.

Mario007

It's not just stock Android I want. I want to get the latest OS updates without my carrier mucking with it and dragging their ass on releasing it OTA.

edit:direct updates from google or bust!
Oh right, I get what you mean. I think Sony is doing some experiments with AOSP on some of thier devices. In fact I think Tablet Z got 4.3 like a day after it was announced if you were running AOSP on it.

when is this coming out? I've been wanting to change my phone for a while, should I wait for Honami instead? at first I thought this seems too big, but after playing around with Note 2 that my relative have, I think I'm okay with the size as long it's pocketable.

is Honami specs supposed to be big upgrade from XZ Ultra?

catmincer

when is this coming out? I've been wanting to change my phone for a while, should I wait for Honami instead? at first I thought this seems too big, but after playing around with Note 2 that my relative have, I think I'm okay with the size as long it's pocketable.

It's out. Some of us have it already. :)

Akira

Honami is similar with its Triluminos screen, S800 chipset, 2GB RAM, IP58 waterproof rating, and 3000~ mAh battery. The big difference is that the Honami will have a much better camera and of course it will only have a 5-inch screen (which means better battery life).

jourdy

Im thinking of getting one tomorrow. I was planning on waiting for the LTE version but I cannot seem to resist buying now!

If Note 3 comes out with some groundbreaking stuff.. that would suck.

Im thinking of getting one tomorrow. I was planning on waiting for the LTE version but I cannot seem to resist buying now!

If Note 3 comes out with some groundbreaking stuff.. that would suck.

It won't. The international Note 3 will use the same S800 chipset, but the design will be the same fugly Samsung plastic.

jourdy

SERIOUSLY?

I just finally ordered the Z Ultra and then I learn there's a newer flagship!
I thought Z Ultra is the flagship phone! Gotdoim!

Brandson

SERIOUSLY?

Where did you order it? I'm looking to buy a Z Ultra shortly too. If you want a large-screened phone, then I wouldn't worry about the other upcoming "flagship" Sony. It might have a slightly better camera, but the specs will be otherwise similar, with a smaller screen. After using a Galaxy S3 for a year, and several tablets, I've come to the realization I would prefer a larger screen on my phone. So it's Ultra for me.

Anyone know if the SBH52 companion handset comes with the Ultra or do we buy that separately?

SERIOUSLY?

i1 is 5", it is a phone. ZU is 6.4", it is a phablet. They are both in different categories. Anyway, they share a common hardware platform, the specs are basically identical.

I realize this thing is insanely impractical, but goddamn it looks so good.

The idea of unlimited LTE on a screen like that is just too tempting.

New update just got pushed. .475, just stability and improved touch response.

All of the early reviews are stupid, but then I think Sony were stupid to put it on sale without final firmware. So they deserve what they get. However, complaints about the screen are absolutely 100% A grade bullshit.

Fezan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom