• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra (6.4'', 1080p, Snapdragon 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antispin

How are screen viewing angles ? Screen better than or comparable to HTC one or S4.?
Also how does graphite pencil work on screen ? With lag or without Lag ?

The viewing angles are amazing. You can practically read text with line-of-sight parallel to the screen. There is some minor loss of contrast when moving the screen sideways. I haven't seen a screen this good in another device.

Haven't tried the pencil thing. But I think that's bound to be little more than a gimmick. No palm rejection, for example. And I would be surprised if it doesn't lag; even the Note 2 does.

Edit: the camera performance and speaker output disappoint me. Mar and otherwise excellent device.

Yep, the ZL (bleh I wanted the purple Z :/) came to Rogers and I believe Bell.

The Z (and ZL) is now available on Bell. And you can get a purple one too.

I think the Honami has a great chance to come out on Bell, at least. Bell and Sony seem to be heavily involved with each other right now.

catmincer

The viewing angles are amazing. You can practically read text with line-of-sight parallel to the screen. There is some minor loss of contrast when moving the screen sideways. I haven't seen a screen this good in another device.

Haven't tried the pencil thing. But I think that's bound to be little more than a gimmick. No palm rejection, for example. And I would be surprised if it doesn't lag; even the Note 2 does.

Edit: the camera performance and speaker output disappoint me. Mar and otherwise excellent device.

How bad is the camera? Is it as bad as the one on the Z?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
But it's so big and pricey.

I'd have to try it in person, but by the time it comes out, there might be some Nexus 5 info. Why is choosing a phone so difficult?

I love how there isn't one shot of it in the ad being held to the ear like an....actual phone. Probably because of how stupid it would look.

dom-joly-phone.jpg

televator

Da fuq? I actually lol'd pretty hard when I realized that what pretty much is a tablet was being marketed as a phone in the video. I.... okay... If this is a trend.... I welcome the situation of people inevitably putting this up their ear in public... It'll surely put a smile on my face. :)

So far it's tracking similar to Note 2 for me. Day one impressions: excellent screen, thin, sexy, crappy speakers, decent daylight performance for camera, poor low-light, inoffensive UI. Miss some TouchWiz features though, calling from the lockscreen, for example. The screen is unbelievable though. Much better than the Note 2 and the iPad 3. Two devices that I use a lot. Or used, in the case of the Note 2.

Blazing fast too!

There's a big software update coming out in the middle of September for the Ultra, around the same time the i1 is released iirc. That should fix a lot of the niggles you have right now. Did you get the .471 update yet? It improves the capacitive touch response to pen inputs.

antispin

How bad is the camera? Is it as bad as the one on the Z?

I've read that it's better but mainly because ZU isn't aggressively processing the capture. Same sensor as the S4 and Z. Low-light is very noisy and badly artifacted (that's a word now), in general.

There's a big software update coming out in the middle of September for the Ultra, around the same time the i1 is released iirc. That should fix a lot of the niggles you have right now. Did you get the .471 update yet? It improves the capacitive touch response to pen inputs.

Yeah, the one that adds xreality too. Should align well with the Note 3 announcement. I know there's an update out right now but I haven't been able to get it OTA.

hirokazu

Pretty soon these Android folk are gonna make phones that are bigger than tablets. It's a race to see who can make the most ridiculous oversized phone and still find buyers.

catmincer

Pretty soon these Android folk are gonna make phones that are bigger than tablets. It's a race to see who can make the most ridiculous oversized phone and still find buyers.

The device is still very thin and the dimensions aren't too bad, it's just... tall.

vivftp

Well Honami is just the internal code name, and zomg mention i1 is also an internal code name.

Whatever it'll be called, that will be my next phone. It'll be a wee bit thicker than the Z Ultra, but it'll pack quite possibly the best quality camera on any Android phone.

Also for those who want a better camera on the Z Ultra, I have to imaging Sony will find a way to make those external lens/sensor units that're rumored work with the Ultra. If so, you have the potential to have THE best camera on any phone attached to your device. It will lose its appealing slim form factor though, of course.

Well Honami is just the internal code name, and zomg mention i1 is also an internal code name.

Whatever it'll be called, that will be my next phone. It'll be a wee bit thicker than the Z Ultra, but it'll pack quite possibly the best quality camera on any Android phone.

Also for those who want a better camera on the Z Ultra, I have to imaging Sony will find a way to make those external lens/sensor units that're rumored work with the Ultra. If so, you have the potential to have THE best camera on any phone attached to your device. It will lose its appealing slim form factor though, of course.

I like the name xperia i1, I read it as Xperia I Want. :)

vivftp

Ok, that confirms it.

That "phone" is too big for me. It looks good, but it is not practical. I work in a trade. I cant be lugging around what is essentially a tablet at this point.

I hope the Iphone 6 won't get any bigger. I need something compact.

Sony is building a mini version of Honami that is meant for users who want a more compact device. It'll be every bit as powerful as the Z Ultra and Honami, but in a much smaller package. I don't think we have accurate screen sizes yet, but 4.3" has been tossed about. Unlike all of these other "mini" Android phones being launched, this will be a true flagship-level device instead of one with watered down specs.

Last I've heard on it though, it won't be making an appearance until Q1 2014.

Sylver

Banned
iPhone 4S was the perfect size, bigger is horrible.
I hope Apple launch kind of itineration with that size and actual features.

Zeppu

Man these companies are so stupid to create these devices which no one at all wants because the iPhone 4 size is perfect. Gaf told me so. How stupid. Look at the note, it looks like they're calling with a brick. Cause it's a phone geddit? All phones do is call. No one needs a big screen because you don't use the screen when calling and the only point of having a smartphone is to call. That's why they're smartphones. Good ol' dumbphones couldn't call. What stupid companies.

Somnid

Man these companies are so stupid to create these devices which no one at all wants because the iPhone 4 size is perfect. Gaf told me so. How stupid. Look at the note, it looks like they're calling with a brick. Cause it's a phone geddit? All phones do is call. No one needs a big screen because you don't use the screen when calling and the only point of having a smartphone is to call. That's why they're smartphones. Good ol' dumbphones couldn't call. What stupid companies.

Well yeah. You can get 4G tablets for a lot less in many large sizes. A phone is a more portable variant that carriers allow to have voice data. That's pretty much it.

jourdy

Tempted to get the Xperia Z Ultra but was told by the seller it is not LTE capable?
Also no flash?

Is this true?

Tempted to get the Xperia Z Ultra but was told by the seller it is not LTE capable?
Also no flash?

Is this true?

The LTE version (C6803/6806) will not be out for another month. Only the HSPA+ version has gone on sale early in parts of Asia.

It doesn't have a flash. Most people don't seem to care though.

jourdy

The LTE version (C6803/6806) will not be out for another month. Only the HSPA+ version has gone on sale early in parts of Asia.

It doesn't have a flash. Most people don't seem to care though.

Thanks for the clarification.
I don't care about flash, but LTE is a huge factor for me.

Might wait for the LTE version.

antispin

Can some owner please make a comment on battery stamina.

I've had it for about a week now. It's nothing great. Manages a day. On stamina mode and allowing for Gmail and Whatsapp pushes, I get around 12-14 hours but screen on time is typically around the hour mark. If I push the screen time, then battery drops fast.

On the whole, I'd say, it's as good as the Note 2. Maybe slightly worse.

My feedback on the device in general:
- Great screen, device feels great in the hand in general. Looks sexy
- Forget one-handed use. It's not possible. You also feel anxious holding it in one hand, especially when travelling
- The camera has improved just a tiny bit after an update but it's still a noise-fest indoors/in poor light. Outdoors performance in bright light is better, but meh overall
- The UI is good. Not offensive
- The UI and software in general is not very power-user friendly. I miss a lot of TouchWiz features: dial from lockscreen, a rich SMS client, and a rich video client -- are absences woefully felt. The video player doesn't support subtitles or sorting of any manner. Sheesh. Codec support seems solid though, so that's a relief. Other power-tools such as a rich clipboard, jumping directly to a system setting section when long-pressing notification drawer shortcuts, are also missed.
- Been having some random lockups about once per day
- Device gets fairly warm around the camera area
- Call voice quality is hit or miss. Sometimes, it comes in great, other times muffled
- WiFi reception is about the same as Note 2's. Maybe a tad better
- PC software is pretty good. MUCH better than Kies, although I do miss KiesAir

I think the Sept update will bring many UI improvements. I remember seeing videos in which the video player's audio and brightness could be controlled using gestures on-screen, for example. Let's see.

Has a lot of promise for sure. I hope Sony pushes the software stack. ATM, it feels basic.

Would I recommend it right now? No. Wait until Oct/Nov. The Note 3 might push its price down, it will have an update software suite, and its accessories will be out and about too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom