• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

Qassim

You knew it was going to be an issue when you bought it, why buy it then whine about it?

Because it seems odd to completely ignore an entire games platform just because Sony made this ridiculous decision that seemed like something only the stupid would ignore (and therefore fix it).

Guys:

You can be annoyed by something and not think it is so bad that you'd ignore the entire platform because of it. I don't know why people keep saying "WELL YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE SYSTEM".

Also, if some random third party driver managed to disable the light via software extremely quickly - I don't think adding the option would be all that costly for a large company like Sony :)

I don't own a PS4 (yet) but hasn't anyone just taken out a screwdriver and disconnected the lightbar? It can't be that difficult, solves the light on the screen thing, and won't draw from the battery anymore.

Also, if some random third party driver managed to disable the light via software extremely quickly - I don't think adding the option would be all that costly for a large company like Sony :)

Some random third party driver creator doesn't have to worry about bricking a few million consoles, changes in the code require testing, I think they have more important things to worry about rather than whether a light can be turned on or off.

I can't believe people are flipping out so much over this light. Talk about first world problems.

That's what I think about most complaints I read on gaf and the internet in general, lol. Can you imagine our ancestors who literally struggled daily just for the day's calories? (Even some in the world today.) If they were brought forward to this time and saw us, as a whole, they'd probably kill and eat us, knowing they were doing the world a favor. :p

Allforce

What's strange is that the guy who made the program that allows you to use the DualShock4 for PC has options in there to manipulate the LED to any color you want, as dim as you want, or completely turn it off. Its a damn RGB slider setting in the menu and works flawlessly. I have mine set to a really dim bluish/green when it's on, it barely emits any light at all and just serves to let you know the controller is, in fact, on.

I got a bigger problem... when the flying fuck will NA see the Red and Blue DS4 controllers?

Did anyone ever tweet Yoshida about this?

Zemm

Good god just fucking deal with it, its a light it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of other things that need fixing or improving before enabling users to dim a fucking LED in a controller, get a sense of perspective. If it's such a ridiculous, world ending problem then take the controller apart and remove the LED.

When did gamers get so fucking whiny and entitled.

What a shit post. It's not like they'll have a full developer team taking up resources just to give people the option, it'll be a one or two person job whilst others work on other issues.

You just need some modding to get rid of those "small" issues.

Everyone should replace the battery with a Dualshock 3 one at first. Modding community discovered this week that its the same battery as DS3. A 1800mah work best. Its cheap on ebay, amazon e.t.c.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CA10-Replacement-1800mAh-Battery-for-PS3-Dualshock-Controller-/251399639291?pt=US_Video_Game_Batteries&hash=item3a889610fb&_uhb=1

UPDATE: DS4 battery 2000mah
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-2000mah-Sony-Playstation-PS4-Dual-shock-4-Controller-Battery-Charge-Cable-/201010967814?pt=US_Video_Game_Batteries&hash=item2ecd2ff506&_uhb=1

Optional proof of concept (to prevent Glare and keep motion capabilities):
Solder a little microswitch on the led to turn it off. Drill a small hole on the controller and put some hot glue (a microswitch similar to rapidfiremod on DS3)

mKklGuIATnrodNheICvn0Sw.jpg

Next level Modding option
Add a ragnarok for rapidfire
http://www.extreme-mods.com/Ragnarok-Playstation-4-PS4-Rapid-Fire-Mod-Chip_p_5508.html

Great PDF to follow for repair/modding
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Extreme-Mods/Ragnarok+PS4+Installation+Instructions+11-25-2013.pdf

Not to downplay the issue, but as a solution (for now), I have my controllers set to time out after 10 minutes. If I need to pause during Netflix, I just hit the ps button. It turns the controller on and takes you to the home screen while pausing the movie. A quick x x starts it up again.

I, too, have my controller set to time out after 10 minutes, so at least the light goes off after 10 mins if I'm watching a full movie or something.

However, I will say that I also find the "YOUR DUALSHOCK CONTROLLER HAS DISCONNECTED FROM THE PS4" notification that pops up, and the accompanying audio chime, quite annoying as well. There appears to be no way to turn this off either.

UrbanRats

Some random third party driver creator doesn't have to worry about bricking a few million consoles, changes in the code require testing, I think they have more important things to worry about rather than whether a light can be turned on or off.

Please.. all they need to do is acknowledge the issue and say they'll work on it.
And possibly be a little clear about it.

Having a infrared camera on the other end? Of course it would!

Out of that list, only giving ambient light effects wouldn't, though I'm not even sure what that means :p

Uh... no. Humans can't see IR light. Three of the things the light does, require you to see the light/color of the light.

1. tell if controller on. (You can see an IR light to tell whether your controller is on?)
2. tell which player the controller belongs to. (You can see different colors of IR light to distinguish between active controllers?)
3. give ambient light effects. (You can see an IR light flashing or changing color dependent on game-state and/or controller state?)
4. tracking controller (ir is enough)

Be aware, I'm not saying it's a great design, and I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to find it annoying - but you asked the question and I answered it.
Would a small, simple LED like on the DS3 have solved those three problems? Yes. But the DS4 doesn't have one. It has the lightbar instead. They designed it to be an all-in-one notification/tracking light.

I find it amusing all of you complaining and sony not giving a crap. funny shit.
And it is not the coding, it is the testing and interrupting what ever million times more important they have in their to do list.

Edit. Oh shit. When you read the question (did not give much thought to it before), ofcource sony will not disable the LIGHT from games. Person is not even asking for possibility to user to disable it. Sonys answer is still propably a no, but try to ask correct questions. yosp was right to answer no.

Qassim

You've written an awful operating system and awful software if such a change presents a danger of bricking. I'm well aware that it does take more time to make such changes as the official vendor over some third party hack, but if this is anything other than a trivial task - then Sony have REALLY messed up.

You've written an awful operating system and awful software if such a change presents a danger of bricking. I'm well aware that it does take more time to make such changes as the official vendor over some third party hack, but if this is anything other than a trivial task - then Sony have REALLY messed up.

Sony have said no, end of story.

Qassim

Sony have said no, end of story.

Right, that isn't the question. I'm well aware they've said no - that doesn't mean I'm going to start liking it.

As long as they're saying no, my opinion that it's a really, really stupid decision remains. It's not the end of the story for those of us that do have issues with it until it is fixed, even if it never happens - it'll just remain a constant source of annoyance.

Oppo

I predict that they will make the default brightness much dimmer, and have it brighten for games to do tracking. It makes sense.

They propably has to test everything they have done now for future update together with this minor update wich ofcourse they do not want to do now.
They do not want to extara worrys about qa now.
Edit: They would rather fit this minor update to fw after major one has passed qa and all. (This is all assuming they are doing some major shit now)

I predict that they will make the default brightness much dimmer, and have it brighten for games to do tracking. It makes sense.

I also hope they give ability to lower THE brightness of the LIGHT as temporary solution. And hopefully it is so dimm it barely uses power. There might be qa clause that demands light to be on atm.

The problem is that the light function is already written into both the OS code and also the various game codes. So you'd have to retroactively go back and make sure that turning off the light wouldn't do something unexpectedly bad with every game that uses it (which is most of them) and also making sure it doesn't do something bad with the various OS level notifications and stuff. It's more complex than just "turn it off". The PC mod doesn't really have that problem, because nothing there is already DESIGNED to use the lightbar.

Yeah, it is not like it would brake anything in the os. They have to test these things to pass qa.

The problem is that the light function is already written into both the OS code and also the various game codes. So you'd have to retroactively go back and make sure that turning off the light wouldn't do something unexpectedly bad with every game that uses it (which is many of them) and also making sure it doesn't do something bad with the various OS level notifications and stuff. It's more complex than just "turn it off". The PC mod doesn't really have that problem, because nothing there is already DESIGNED to use the lightbar.

But that's kinda the point. It's invisible to human, but IR cameras can see it, independently of lighting.

Mos of the stuff you describe can be done by one or two IR lights blinking in known frequencies.

Being invisible to humans defeats the purpose of the light. The light isn't visible to notify the MACHINE of anything, it's to notify the USER.

Uh... no. Humans can't see IR light. Three of the things the light does, require you to see the light/color of the light.

Be aware, I'm not saying it's a great design, and I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to find it annoying - but you asked the question and I answered it.
Would a small, simple LED like on the DS3 have solved those three problems? Yes. But the DS4 doesn't have one. It has the lightbar instead. They designed it to be an all-in-one notification/tracking light.

Oh, Okay, you mean the user having those features XD

I totally misread you, I think you meant that this list couldn't be done on a system level, and not as a input for the user.

Okay then, move along :p

But that's kinda the point. It's invisible to human, but IR cameras can see it, independently of lighting.

Mos of the stuff you describe can be done by one or two IR lights blinking in known frequencies.

PS4 doeas not come with camera. Ir would work only for tracking (with camera ofcourse).
Edit. ok, understanding reached.

Being invisible to humans defeats the purpose of the light. The light isn't visible to notify the MACHINE of anything, it's to notify the USER.

Sorry for the confusion, I though you are citing examples of features the lightbar provided for the console (like for instance, the console knowing which player has a certain controller) that a IR light couldn't.

kick51

Banned
That's what I think about most complaints I read on gaf and the internet in general, lol. Can you imagine our ancestors who literally struggled daily just for the day's calories? (Even some in the world today.) If they were brought forward to this time and saw us, as a whole, they'd probably kill and eat us, knowing they were doing the world a favor. :p

Some of their sympathy-impaired peers probably said "hey bro, stop caring about our inconveniences, the neandtherals didn't even have language. Psh, #evolvedprimateproblems." And everyone probably looked at him like he's being a pain in the ass for no reason, then asked him what a hash tag is.

Yeah, it is not like it would brake anything in the os. They have to test these things to pass qa.

How do you know that? When you put the console in standby with the controller plugged in, the lightbar flashes orange. If you've turned it off, how do you know that it would/wouldn't affect standby in some unforeseen way? That's just the first example that comes to mind off the top of my head. There may be several others.

Remember that they never intended for you to turn the lightbar off. Doing so would have several unintended consequences.

kick51

Banned
How do you know that? When you put the console in standby with the controller plugged in, the lightbar flashes orange. If you've turned it off, how do you know that it would/wouldn't affect standby in some unforeseen way?

Remember that they never intended for you to turn the lightbar off.

People build tacky electronics with LEDs, then shamefully remove them after they realize how terrible they look, every single day

People build tacky electronics with LEDs, then shamefully remove them after they realize how terrible they look, every single day

We are talking about a tacky LED that's been programmed into a device at the OS level AND programmed into much of the software that OS uses.

:)

What I'm saying is that short of a controller redesign, it would have to be a SOFTWARE switch. That software would have to play nice with every other piece of software that is trying to use the light for the various and sundry purposes the light is used for. Not all of them are coded by Sony. It would be an issue, maybe a small one, but one that would take time and effort.

Marleyman

Banned
To me, I think they built this in because they may have wanted to bundle in the camera at some point but abandoned that idea to get $100 cheaper. Now, it is there but serves no real purpose due to the Eye not being mandatory.

Is there a technical reason that might prevent them from dimming the light? I can understand that they might not want it to be off as it's the only indication that the controller is 'on', and I understand that it needs to be bright when it is being used as a Move-style controller, but when it is just being used to show that it is 'on', a good compromise would be to add the option to dim the light. Is there such thing as an LED than can't dim?

Is there a technical reason that might prevent them from dimming the light? I can understand that they might not want it to be off as it's the only indication that the controller is 'on', and I understand that it needs to be bright when it is being used as a Move-style controller, but when it is just being used to show that it is 'on', a good compromise would be to add the option to dim the light. Is there such thing as an LED than can't dim?

Yes.

No idea if the DS4 would have any problem dimming or not, but just as a yes/no question, yes there are LED's that are not built to/installed in a way that they can dim.

How do you know that? When you put the console in standby with the controller plugged in, the lightbar flashes orange. If you've turned it off, how do you know that it would/wouldn't affect standby in some unforeseen way? That's just the first example that comes to mind off the top of my head. There may be several others.

Remember that they never intended for you to turn the lightbar off. Doing so would have several unintended consequences.

I am not saying something may not work, just that making it work is not the biggest hassle. (This assumes they do not use the leds for anything more than providing light)

To me, I think they built this in because they may have wanted to bundle in the camera at some point but abandoned that idea to get $100 cheaper. Now, it is there but serves no real purpose due to the Eye not being mandatory.

This is still wrong wether you like its features or not.

Tratorn

Yes.

No idea if the DS4 would have any problem dimming or not, but just as a yes/no question, yes there are LED's that are not built to/installed in a way that they can dim.

It should be possible on the DS4, Yoshida tweeted about that some time ago.

Jipazidi ‏@Jipazidi 9. Dez.
Surely the next firmware update will let us turn the DS4 light off @yosp?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 9. Dez.
@Jipazidi I doubt it

Jipazidi ‏@Jipazidi 9. Dez.
@yosp :( one day?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp
@Jipazidi option to dim it would be nice, I think

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/410146907093495812

Yes.

Well that is surely the only reason why they'd be against the idea, if they only have the option of turning it off completely.

However, I recall my Move controller being able to dim significantly in certain lighting conditions (it would change brightness whenever you recalibrated it with the camera), so I'd expect the same kind of LEDs to have been used here...

I am not saying something may not work, just that making it work is not the biggest hassle. (This assumes they do not use the leds for anything more than providing light)

Well it depends on whether you think system/power/game notification and status is just "light" or not.

The lights are being used by the console and it's games. That's the point. It's not just a light.

I'm fine with the light bar eating my battery, but the option to turn it off would be nice. What's the light bar used for anyway? To interact with the camera the way Move does?

Top Bottom