• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice - New SCE Vita action game, May 10 Conference [Up: Ad Images]

It's better they get From to make a Vita Souls game. Obviously MH would be the prize but beggars can't be choosers.

Except West would greatly prefer Souls like game instead of MonHun - it's extremly interesting how franchise noone cared about apart from small fanbase sudenly got so important for western gamers when it became 3DS exclusive ;)

Not liking those images from Famitsu. They look awful. Doesn't look anything like a Souls game so my interest in the Vita has returned to zero.

Yes, graphics are awful, they seem more PSP-like than Vita. They don't have even AA and they seem sub-HD.

So, seriously, we are discussing how the game looks only with some enemies concept arts?

Man, I love the title of this game, it totally sounds like it would be the name of some metal band. I approve and I can't wait to see more. My Vita is in serious need of some attention lately...

Mondriaan

Not liking those images from Famitsu. They look awful. Doesn't look anything like a Souls game so my interest in the Vita has returned to zero.
I like the art direction, but the images look more like concept art than anything else.

My recollection is that the general reaction to the initial images of Demon's Souls was pretty poor. I thought that the game had an absolutely fantastic trailer, and was a little surprised that most of the reactions here seemed to be about how poor the frame rate was. Mostly I had been impressed by how different a direction SCEJ was willing to go so I'm pretty willing to cut them a fair amount of slack as far as whether or not any of their new games should look like another existing game.

West loves The Souls games and dont give a shit about Monster Hunter
Critics in the west tend to love games with solid mechanics that don't engage in excessive hand-holding/tutorials and tell their stories through atmosphere, environmental cues, and short snippets of conversation rather than through blocks of text in a quest description and minutes of unskippable cinematics. It's not always the case that critical acclaim converts into sales, but it's nice when it does.

Huh? Resistance, Daxter, Jak & Daxter Frontier, Syphon Filters, God of Wars, SOCOM's, MotorStorm, Pursuit Force etc.

Jeanne d'Arc is Level 5, Badman is Acquire.

Japan is more oriented towards smaller budget portable game experiences, while SCEA/SCEE are more focused on bigger budget console experiences. Seems to be a nice combination. But I wished SCEJ would make a couple ofb igger games, like AAA RPGs.

Uh, what? Yeah, Level 5 and Acquire developed those games, but you know that list you just posted? 3 of them were developed by Ready at Dawn, 1 was developed by High Impact, 2 SOCOM's were developed by Slant Six and the first Pursuit Force was developed by Bigbig Studios (pre-Sony buyout).

But that's irrelevant anyway. Sony funded and published all those games from the very beginning, so they should get credit for them. And unless you've got inside sources, we have no clue if SCE Japan Studios are developing Soul Sacrifice themselves anyway.

SCEE I actually think have a decent idea of the market. They developed Invisimals, which revived PSP sales in Europe, and came up with Minis and the comic store.

But I don't see how anyone could defend SCEA's contribution. They treated the PSP like it was the red headed stepchild of the family. Just look at the games they released on the PSP and PS3. The PS3 has all their top developers and a number of new IPs but what did the PSP get? A couple of Syphon Filter's that received little marketing and a bunch of spinoffs, most of which weren't even developed by their series usual developer. Oh and they were reportedly quite resistant to the very idea of Minis. Is it any wonder why the PSP completely died in the US while it did really well in Japan and decently in Europe?

saichi

Except West would greatly prefer Souls like game instead of MonHun - it's extremly interesting how franchise noone cared about apart from small fanbase sudenly got so important for western gamers when it became 3DS exclusive ;)

maybe but why would Sony advertise an announcement for a game announcement in Famitsu for a game that's target at west? Do west gamers suddenly read Famitsu? This is obviously something for Japan.

Better question: why wouldn't they advertise it if it's their next big game for Vita ?

SCEJ develops game for Worldwide audiences so why wouldn't they they advertise it on home turf ?

Well the ad is in Famitsu and MH dwarfs Souls' Japanese sales, if not worldwide sales, so like I said for Sony MH is the prize. Second best would be a Souls game, a distant last would be some crap MH clone.

Alrus

That's kinda not true though... Souls is obviously more popular than MH in the west but MH sold decently enough not to be qualified as a game the west "doesn't give a shit about".

Drek

Critics in the west tend to love games with solid mechanics that don't engage in excessive hand-holding/tutorials and tell their stories through atmosphere, environmental cues, and short snippets of conversation rather than through blocks of text in a quest description and minutes of unskippable cinematics. It's not always the case that critical acclaim converts into sales, but it's nice when it does.

You do realize you're talking about the same "critics" who think games like Uncharted 1/2/3, Mass Effect 2/3, Dragon Age 2, etc. deserve the best ratings in the entire industry, right?

Anyhow, I hope this is a PSO style multi-player hack n' loot game. Ideally not made by From.

From should be making Demon's Souls 2 on the Vita, plain and simple. Brand it as such and drive home the point that you're fixing the fuck up of not bringing Demon's Souls to the US in the first place. Sony should strike a deal with From to make the Demon's Souls franchise a handheld exclusive and not step on their toes with Dark Souls on the consoles. It would be an excellent partnership.

Slime

Banned
I could see this being a Monster Hunter clone with Souls-esque dark fantasy imagery, designed to draw on both fanbases. But I don't think it's a From game.

theBishop

Banned
It's hard to say much without at least knowing the developer.

This could be From Software developing a SOULS game with more action and added Monster Hunter influence (e.g. Awesome). Or it could be the long-awaited return of Rengoku (e.g. Less Awesome):

box-l.jpg

306_rengoku_the_tower_of_purgatory_2.jpg

The artist renderings look promising enough.

Massa

You do realize you're talking about the same "critics" who think games like Uncharted 1/2/3, Mass Effect 2/3, Dragon Age 2, etc. deserve the best ratings in the entire industry, right?

Seems like you just randomly listed games you dislike. Dragon Age 2 for example has a 79 rating on Metacritic.

Mondriaan

800k and 1m is not a huge difference. Neither is 84 vs 89 metacritic score.
Presumably this is about there being many more wiis than ps3s and the difference in the amount of marketing for these games. Word of mouth was a huge factor in the marketing for DS and I think that the PS3 being region-free was a factor.

The scores don't do a good job describing what critics were saying about DS. IIRC they were raving about the online while I don't think anyone highly praised Tri's online- more like they noted that it was there.

gogogow

Uh, what? Yeah, Level 5 and Acquire developed those games, but you know that list you just posted? 3 of them were developed by Ready at Dawn, 1 was developed by High Impact, 2 SOCOM's were developed by Slant Six and the first Pursuit Force was developed by Bigbig Studios (pre-Sony buyout).

But that's irrelevant anyway. Sony funded and published all those games from the very beginning, so they should get credit for them. And unless you've got inside sources, we have no clue if SCE Japan Studios are developing Soul Sacrifice themselves anyway.

I was only saying SCEA had a decent output too and had spend more budget on their games. The problem was probably the marketing and or type of game.
Bolded part: Yeah, I don't know, but I didn't say anything about it anyway...

U

But I don't see how anyone could defend SCEA's contribution. They treated the PSP like it was the red headed stepchild of the family. Just look at the games they released on the PSP and PS3. The PS3 has all their top developers and a number of new IPs but what did the PSP get? PSP completely died in the US while it did really well in Japan and decently in Europe?
Historically, the West never cared much about developing handheld games. Look at the Nintendo DS it was hugely succesful, but I really can't name any Western game that sold extremely well on it, but I can name dozens of Japan made/Nintendo made games. SCEJ failed to deliver games with universal appeal (yeah, I hate that word, but it's true in this case), so most of their games sold okay-ish in Japan and did nothing in the West. So both SCEI and SCEA/E are the problem.

sublimit

Banned
I like the promotional art.
The title is also very intriguing since it sounds a lot like Demon's Souls...too soon to tell though.

watershed

Banned
If this game is a monster hunter clone with a magic/fantasy focus and a DS look I could see it being a really big hit for the vita. It'd be great to see some new life injected into the vita and to see Sony take the Monster Hunter concept and put their own twist on it.

Defuser

Just because it has souls in it means From software? I'm guessing Namco have been outsourcing Soul Caliber to From all these while!!

Drek

Seems like you just randomly listed games you dislike. Dragon Age 2 for example has a 79 rating on Metacritic.

That is one out of six games I listed.

Also, it has an 82 on metacritic, and almost all the major gaming news outlets gave it an 80 or better. Compared to the user review average of 4.2 (almost half of what reviewers gave it). So yeah, kinda qualifies as a falsely praised game by most critics.

I would also add GTA IV to that list. I could go on. In fact, this sounds like a good idea for a thread.

yankee666

I like the game Art a lot. It seems that SCEJ is trying to push this game really hard, i mean 6 page ad for just the reveal date, thats huge.
I hope that in the conference day we can get a lot of more info, like developer, director, art artist, type of game, online? ................and maybe a demo (LOL).

Top Bottom