• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice - New SCE Vita action game, May 10 Conference [Up: Ad Images]

Corto

omg omg omg...this is totally From Soft's design

I knew you would pick this hehehe The more I think of it the more sense it makes. From is now available as the PC port of Dark Souls is (unfortunately) Namco duty now. There is a will from Sony's part to make a direct sequel to Demon's Souls. (funny to see who posted first on that thread ;) And there's a need for a robust title, with some weight on public awareness, that could if handled in the right manner really make a difference for the platform. The problem is that it also has the potential to turn horrible. A Demon's Souls title with no From on Vita? DOA. A Demon's Souls title with a risk-reward mechanic of "sacrificing souls" to call other players to your co-op game, with From on board, and with Sony overseeing it. Gold.

That is one out of six games I listed.

Also, it has an 82 on metacritic, and almost all the major gaming news outlets gave it an 80 or better. Compared to the user review average of 4.2 (almost half of what reviewers gave it). So yeah, kinda qualifies as a falsely praised game by most critics.

I would also add GTA IV to that list. I could go on. In fact, this sounds like a good idea for a thread.

Post here instead.

Mondriaan

Seems like you just randomly listed games you dislike. Dragon Age 2 for example has a 79 rating on Metacritic.
No, he's naming games with good reviews that he disagrees with that coincidentally had huge marketing pushes and had positive reviews from publications very dependent on advertising because this is somehow relevant to Demon's Souls' positive reviews, particularly those positive reviews in the west that came at a time when it didn't look like the game was even going to be localized.

I also don't have much else to say on the subject, but sure, that sounds like a great topic for another thread.

Are the scans in the OP the only scans people are talking about?

Looks like Monster Hunter mixed with Demon's/Dark Souls to me. Like, take Monster Hunter and give the enemies a more twisted, Souls-esque design.

I'd say the art definitely isn't done by From Software, but is probably done by someone taking cues from From Software.

I'll go ahead and plunk this near the center of my radar.
Will wait for details with near-but-not-quite-frothing anticipation.

If this turns out to be From's Souls series, then there will not be enough Daniel Bryan YESYESYES gifs.

prwxv3

Why isn't this generating much buzz? With a huge amount of people complaining about Vita support dying this should get their attention.

Why isn't this generating much buzz? With a huge amount of people complaining about Vita support dying this should get their attention.
It's definitely a good sign and the fringes of info we have is exciting but we just don't know enough to go nuts yet. Once we find out who the developer is that will give us some indication of the quality.

Corto

Fear of disappointment and/or announcements of announcements oversaturation leading to target audience indifference until something more substantial arises.

7threst

Although it will get huge amounts of attention if it turns out to be Demon's Souls-related, it's still just one game, and a game we practically know nothing about yet. I mean, it's the least thing Sony could do, announcing a few awesome games to look forward to.

I feel like their investment would be better spent in something different and of a level that we haven't had on a handheld before (like Souls)

...making a MonHun / Pokemon style game would be like them trying to make their own Halo with Killzone / Resistance. It'd probably result in alright games, but they would ultimately fail in their aim. Aspire to be the big fish in the big pond, not the little fish in the big pond, pretending to be the big fish. (feeling shades of I am a dude playing another dude in that last sentence)

I feel like their investment would be better spent in something different and of a level that we haven't had on a handheld before (like Souls)

...making a MonHun / Pokemon style game would be like them trying to make their own Halo with Killzone / Resistance. It'd probably result in alright games, but they would ultimately fail in their aim. Aspire to be the big fish in the big pond, not the little fish in the big pond, pretending to be the big fish. (feeling shades of I am a dude playing another dude in that last sentence)
Pokemon is excellent but MH has a lot of terrible design decisions that Sony could capitalize on and make much better

Orayn

Are the scans in the OP the only scans people are talking about?

Looks like Monster Hunter mixed with Demon's/Dark Souls to me. Like, take Monster Hunter and give the enemies a more twisted, Souls-esque design.

I'd say the art definitely isn't done by From Software, but is probably done by someone taking cues from From Software.
If this is what it's actually like, and it gets localized... Well, time for Orayn to buy a Vita.

kyubajin

Damn, if this ends up being a Souls game I'll finally have a powerful reason to get a Vita. Will be following this closely.

Orayn

Pokemon is excellent but MH has a lot of terrible design decisions that Sony could capitalize on and make much better

Apart from some absurdly low drop rates on certain carves, I can't think of any design decisions in MH that are outright bad. Obtuse and not appealing to a large audience, perhaps, but not bad.

Visuals, Controls, Online functionality, hell for all we know they could make a better overall game entirely. We just won't know until they offically announce it, hopefully with a trailer and some gameplay.

MH Tri had considerable improvements in visuals and controls, though I agree that online play could still use some work. (Bigger lobbies, less HR grinding, and some form of drop-in/drop-out would all be nice.)

Ridley327

Apart from some absurdly low drop rates on certain carves, I can't think of any design decisions in MH that are outright bad. Obtuse and not appealing to a large audience, perhaps, but not bad.

Appealing to a large audience doesn't seem to be a problem for MH in Japan. I can't imagine that Sony is doing this game to help western sales, at least.

Alrus

We need a good competitor for monster hunter anyway so Capcom finally updates the damn game.

Well God Eater kinda sold well but then again the game was complete ass so I hope Capcom never takes inspiration from it.

Also the Visuals could be better (in term of texture and resolution) but the animation in recent MH is absolutely top notch and the monsters look great. The only improvement on control is make the second analog stick a real analog and not a simulated d-pad. Outside of that, most of the so-called jankiness in the controls are mostly deliberate and the game wouldn't be as good without them.

Kyoufu

Visuals, Controls, Online functionality, hell for all we know they could make a better overall game entirely. We just won't know until they offically announce it, hopefully with a trailer and some gameplay.

Controls are excellent. Not sure what you're talking about.

Orayn

Demon's Souls + Monster Hunter
I don't know how but just do it.

Souls style levels with mini-checkpoints and MH-style bosses at the end. Multiplayer lets you start with a party AND summon extra people as phantoms. A single "hunt" would be two hours of pure adrenaline.

C8uDD.jpg

Corto

Souls style levels with mini-checkpoints and MH-style bosses at the end. Multiplayer lets you start with a party AND summon extra people as phantoms. A single "hunt" would be two hours of pure adrenaline.

url]

Change two ours to one hour/45 minutes tops and you got a winner right there!

Orayn

Maybe separate things in such a way that you could do just a level or just a boss fight and still have an enjoyable experience?

Mondriaan

Tri's gate/city system is pretty bad. It's always great to be in a city with 3 people in a gate that's totally full and have one person who doesn't want to start a quest until the city has 4 people. It's also great to spend twenty minutes waiting for some people to return from a quest and then watch everyone leave the city after they return.

Those particular mechanics were okay ten years ago, but they've gone bad.

The tutorial section of the game is pretty awful. Make that shit optional.

Dizzying magically causing characters to sheathe their weapon is a terrible design decision. Combine that with overloading the sheathe button with the use item button and I don't know how many items I wasted because the same button does different things. Also, combine this with making incredibly lengthy actions such as using items uncancelable for even more hilarity.

The lack of polish in places does give the game its charm, though.

Kyoufu

Tri's gate/city system is pretty bad. It's always great to be in a city with 3 people in a gate that's totally full and have one person who doesn't want to start a quest until the city has 4 people. It's also great to spend twenty minutes waiting for some people to return from a quest and then watch everyone leave the city after they return.

Those particular mechanics were okay ten years ago, but they've gone bad.

The tutorial section of the game is pretty awful. Make that shit optional.

Dizzying magically causing characters to sheathe their weapon is a terrible design decision. Combine that with overloading the sheathe button with the use item button and I don't know how many items I wasted because the same button does different things. Also, combine this with making incredibly lengthy actions such as using items uncancelable for even more hilarity.

The lack of polish in places does give the game its charm, though.

Actually, the original version of Tri allowed up to 8 players in each city but I believe this was cut down to 4 in the western release to add Wii Speak support or something.

As for sheathing... I've never had that problem. Then again I don't frantically mash my buttons. You're doing it wrong tbh.

Alrus

Also, combine this with making incredibly lengthy actions such as using items uncancelable for even more hilarity.

That's perfectly deliberate. You might not like it but it's meant to force you to pay attention to the timing of your uses. I never really got the issue with the sheathe/item button, unless you mash it like crazy for some weird reason.

Orayn

That's perfectly deliberate. You might not like it but it's meant to force you to pay attention to the timing of your uses. I never really got the issue with the sheathe/item button, unless you mash it like crazy for some weird reason.

Great Sword users do have to mash it like crazy so they can re-sheathe at the first possible frame after a big attack, but that almost never causes problems for me.

Emitan

C8uDD.jpg

Remember when I said you were one of my favorite posters? THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHY

Mondriaan

As for sheathing... I've never had that problem. Then again I don't frantically mash my buttons. You're doing it wrong tbh.
Technically I know that I'm doing it wrong in Tri when I try to do an instant guard while standing over a gathering spot and end up gathering instead of unsheathing my weapon but it's one of those situations where I would rather blame the game.

Kyoufu

Technically I know that I'm doing it wrong in Tri when I try to do an instant guard while standing over a gathering spot and end up gathering instead of unsheathing my weapon but it's one of those situations where I would rather blame the game.

Honestly haven't had that issue. Do you press all three buttons at the same time? I think you'll gather if you hold R before pressing the two action buttons, maybe. I haven't done that personally.

MH is very deliberate. It may seem clunky to the common folk but it's deep like a Capcom fighting game. Capcom does one thing really well across the board and that's gameplay systems.

Wait, this is actually being developed by From? Confirmed?

Not confirmed at all.

V_Ben

Banned

C8uDD.jpg

That would be AMAZING. Chuck in 3G/Near ghosts of fallen players in your area and you have something special if done right.

Top Bottom