• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea's President's Approval Rating hits record low: 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laieon

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/11/116_217549.html

President Park Geun-hye's approval rating has plunged to 5 percent ― the lowest for any South Korean president in modern history ― amid a swirling scandal involving her confidant Choi Soon-sil.

According to a Gallop Korea survey released Friday, her approval rating has fallen by 12 percentage points from last week's approval rating to 5 percent.

For those of you who aren't sure what this is about, check out this link.

Kusagari

I'm pretty sure you could be on video offering children as a blood sacrifice and not hit a number this low in America.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm pretty sure you could be on video offering children as a blood sacrifice and not hit a number this low in America.

For real, I don't think even Nixon dropped below the 20s.

HariKari

Is there no way to remove her from power? That sort of vulnerability would normally have rivals trying to take advantage.

I'm intriged, I read about SK president issues, but it seems way too farfechted to be real.
Please, can anyone summarize the reasoning behind her (lack of) approval?

I'm actually curious who the 5% are who go "Well, ok so she was being pupated by a cult and had zero personal agency on anything in her life ever, but-"

She worst then Obama? With all these "Thanks Obama ...." Comments people make, blaming him for everything....I wouldn't have thought someone was worst ...

She worst then Obama? With all these "Thanks Obama ...." Comments people make, blaming him for everything....I wouldn't have thought someone was worst ...

For real though Obama usually sits around 50% on these things, which is about as good as you can get when half the US believes he's involved with the tier of shit the South Korean President really, truly is.

What percentage of the population is part of the cult? =P

NlHr81y.gif

WOWWW that's freaking low hah. What's the lowest any of our Presidents have got to? I'm curious as to how a President can be so damn disliked, save being someone like the Kim Jong Un, which would never fly here anyways.

Edit: I forgot about that Cult thing that was supposedly going on. I really need to read about that lol.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Holy shit haha
This much sounds like a joke, but it can easily take a terrifying turn. There has been much speculation about the "missing seven hours," where the president's whereabouts were completely unknown for seven hours in 2014 during the Sewol ferry disaster. Rumors are now running rampant that Park Geun-hye was attending a memorial shamanistic ritual for Choi Tae-min, who passed away 20 years ago on the day of the ferry disaster. The more lurid version of the rumor says that Park's government actually sank the Sewol to offer human sacrifice for the dead cult leader. As ridiculous as these rumors are, Park Geun-hye's behavior forces even reasonable people to think, maybe.

lazygecko

WOWWW that's freaking low hah. What's the lowest any of our Presidents have got to? I'm curious as to how a President can be so damn disliked, save being someone like the Kim Jong Un, which would never fly here anyways.

But Kimg Jong Un has a 200% approval rating!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is fucking insane. Like, there are crazy corrupt leaders everywhere, but this is the first time I think anyone has seen a country's leader being nothing but the completely brainwashed puppet of a con man.

I'm intriged, I read about SK president issues, but it seems way too farfechted to be real.
Please, can anyone summarize the reasoning behind her (lack of) approval?

A few choice quotes from the article:

Choi Soon-sil owned Park Geun-hye just as much as her father did. Peddling the presidential influence, Choi extorted tens of millions of dollars from Korea's largest corporations. When they found a small and profitable company, Choi's cronies would straight-up steal it, threatening the owner of the company with the company's destruction and personal harm. More importantly, Choi effectively controlled the presidential power. Every day, Choi would receive a huge stack of policy briefs from the presidential residence to discuss with her inner circle--an illustrious group that included Choi's gigolo (no, really) and a K-pop music video director (I'm serious.) Choi would receive ultra-confidential information detailing secret meetings between South and North Korean military authorities. Choi would receive in advance the budget proposal of more than $150 million for the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism, and distributed them to her friends' projects. Choi went around saying North Korea would collapse by 2017 according to the spirits that spoke to her, and the Park Geun-hey administration may have set its North Korea policy based on this claim.

For years, Park's aides complained about the mysterious off-line person to whom the president would send her draft speeches--when the drafts returned, the professionally written speeches were turned into gibberish. We now know that one of Choi Soon-sil's favorite activities was to give comments on the presidential speeches. Even the famous Dresden speech, in which Park Geun-hye outlined her administration's North Korea policy, had a number of markups from Choi Soon-sil. The aides who dug too deep into the relationship between Park and Choi were dismissed and replaced with those close to Choi, to a point that Choi's personal trainer became a presidential aide. No, really. I wish I were joking.

Rational people can expect that a corrupt politician may steal money for himself. They can even expect that he may steal for his family. But no one can expect that a corrupt politician would steal money for a daughter of a fucking psychic who claimed to speak with her dead mother.

This is fucking insane. Like, there are crazy corrupt leaders everywhere, but this is the first time I think anyone has seen a country's leader being nothing but the completely brainwashed puppet of a con man.

A few choice quotes from the article:
Rasputin springs to mind.

Wait, aren't the South Koreans like our allies and stuff? How could such a shit show be allowed? That quote sounded ridiculous. How is this Choi fellow been allowed to do this? Unless it was all kept under the rug from the US but I find it hard to believe.

squall23

Wait, aren't the South Koreans like our allies and stuff? How could such a shit show be allowed? That quote sounded ridiculous. How is this Choi fellow been allowed to do this? Unless it was all kept under the rug from the US but I find it hard to believe.
What does being an ally have to do with anything? Outside powers don't have and should not have any say on who a country elects as it's leader.

Because if it doesn't directly affect Uncle Sam, the current administration will sweep it under the rug.

What does being an ally have to do with anything? Outside powers don't have and should not have any say on who a country elects as it's leader.

Latin America on the 70's.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So the president relied on a cadre of personalities and hangers-ons to provide policy directly to the office itself.

Off-topic but I'm worried for the American presidential election.

Hell, if they said the sacrifice was necessary to sate God's anger at gay marriage, they'd probably poll around 35% in a general election.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
......................What the fuck? You not only think the US does control other democracies, you think they definitely should?

*backs away slowly*

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I highly recommend reading the second link in the OP, the full details are absolutely fascinating and bizarre. S.Korea has a long history of terrible leaders but she is just another level in that she is very clearly completely under the sway of Choi Soon Sil.
It would be like finding out Obama was being told what to do by some random cult leader.

qcf x2

Edit: I forgot about that Cult thing that was supposedly going on. I really need to read about that lol.

We're about to find out.

RainForce

Banned

This isn't even the worst thing other allies have done/are involved in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The last time I was in Korea, a few of my friends were complaining a lot about her. I'm interested in what they have to say when I go back.

Boney

Banned
Thanks a ton for the second link. It's a great run down

5% is crazy though. Here in Chile our President's approval is below 20% I believe, amidst political scandals concerning both major parties and followed from a tax reform that has crippled growth and a bananas university tuition reform. But 5% just boggles the mind.

Thanks a ton for the second link. It's a great run down

5% is crazy though. Here in Chile our President's approval is below 20% I believe, amidst political scandals concerning both major parties and followed from a tax reform that has crippled growth and a bananas university tuition reform. But 5% just boggles the mind.

25%

tax reform that has crippled growth and a bananas university tuition reform

lol

Boney

Banned
Finished reading and holy shiiiiiet

Their loss for electing the daughter of a dictator I guess.
Oh don't get me wrong. I think the tax policy is completely sound and elite circles pulled all of their money stifling the economy to boycott and hope for the next elections to be favourable. I'd even go much higher with the top 10% and even have a bracket that tackled the 1% which is obscene in any way or form.

The education reform is crap though. They made a half assed plan in order to win the electorate. Instead of investing on municipal schools that were crippled during the dictatorship thst pulled all of the budget dedicated to them, she's focusing on higher education without the infrastructure to have the professionals this country needs. The way it was before 2010 had much bigger issues of course but here they are adhering to an impossible schedule.

It's quite off topic but I just wanted to make sure you know I'm no facho jaja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom