• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGAs Reveals [Use the new thread linked at the end of this one.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamibito

In honesty, Valve are the last company in the world you need to bitch at for not creating new IPs. Since Half Life 2, we've had Left 4 Dead and Portal, and two excellent sequels to both. Not to mention TF2 which is basically a brand new IP.

What? A new IP from Valve would be great, they haven't really had a new IP that's entirely theirs since Half-Life really. Portal came initially from a group of people from digipen right? And Left 4 Dead 1 was essentially a Turtle Rock game. A new IP from valve would be fantastic as long as it's not multiplayer focused, Half-Life 3 would be cool as well... I guess.

ArjanN

What? A new IP from Valve would be great, they haven't really had a new IP that's entirely theirs since Half-Life really. Portal came initially from a group of people from digipen right? And Left 4 Dead 1 was essentially a Turtle Rock game. A new IP from valve would be fantastic as long as it's not multiplayer focused, Half-Life 3 would be cool as well... I guess.

People bring that up all the time in Valve threads, even though it's still incredibly wrong. :p

MS will never start a "sneak peak" into next gen with something like Alan Wake, no way in hell. It's either Halo/Forza/Gears or some other massive new FPS IP.

It's probably more a question of what is actually ready to show. We've already seen next-gen games in Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 anyway. I also think Alan Wake (very cinematic action horror) is a pretty good fit for an event like this.

CG is pointless in a world with GTX 680s.

It's much easier to mock up a CG trailer than to have the actual game engine in a showable state.
Also, even if it's not technically CG early trailers usually tend to feature lots of in-engine cutscenes/canned animations/quick edits etc. so they're generally still not that representative of what the actual game will be like.

Squire

Banned
Are they going to stick Mark Hamill in the nosebleed seats again so they can make room for fake Youtube personalities and washed up jocks front and center?

We won't know until he tweets and whines about it like a fucking spoiled brat.

ArjanN

It'll probably be more of a shooter this time. I don't see them doing a straight platformer again. Not after the last one cratered at retail.

Even EA are not thatdumb. That'd be the most obvious mistake to make as it removes the only thing that makes that game stand out. If they want more mass appeal they should just put in more hand to hand combat or multiplayer modes or something.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Even EA are not thatdumb. That'd be the most obvious mistake to make as it removes the only thing that makes that game stand out. If they want more mass appeal they should just put in more hand to hand combat or multiplayer modes or something.
Oh, they won't remove the platforming. They'll just add more shooting. And then make a shooty trailer. With a header with something like "From the makers of Battlefield!" If they debut it at the VGA's.

Seda

9pQ84.png

RPGCrazied

Custom films? I know Telltales is doing a second season of walking dead, but it seems a bit early to show that off. King's Quest maybe?

Dabanton

By custom films are they just films done in engine with 'wacky' situations relating to their nominations like that Joker one they had for Arkham?

abundant

Probably the list of winners who will give their winning speech via a movie or something like that. You cant fool us jeff.

Who is he trying to fool? Custom films mean short skits done in-engine with the characters from the game. They've done this in past VGAs.

yurinka

My bets:
-Telltale : Best award stealed to Journey
-343 : Best 360 game, GOTY
-CoD : Best shooter, best join the US army ad
-Ass Creed : Best action/adventure
-Gearbox : best shooter that I'm not interested on it
-Mojang : best indie overrated game
-Arkane : best who the fuck are these guys?
-Bioware : Best trilogy ending
-Rovio : Best phone game that it's out of the interest of the traditional gamers
-more : Best stupid joke award
-Journey : Best PS3, but TGC offices doesn't have people to make a video (some of them went run scared of Sony)

So here you have some winners. Now the question is who is going to be on stage to get the awards? 343, MS, Doritos or Mountain Dew? Hope they have a game journalism ethics award for Polygon, a $750K prize fueled by MS and Pizza Hut.

Raven77

Do you guys realize that in a few short hours we may just finally get to see officially what next gen will look like???

SO EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no i'm not counting the Wii U, its power levels are not next gen)

Tagg9

Do you guys realize that in a few short hours we may just finally get to see officially what next gen will look like???

SO EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no i'm not counting the Wii U, its power levels are not next gen)

You do realize this is on Friday, yeah?

Cesar

Banned
Any chance we're going to see a new God Of War Ascension trailer? Besides the E3 demo we haven't seen anything from the campaign.

FStop7

Banned
Alan Wake was originally supposed to come out a month or two after the 360 launched. Maybe AW2 will be a 720 launch title.

Yeah, just a few hours.

I mean lets be honest, its like 36 hours away and I personally have been waiting 2.5 years to see true next gen! So a few hours is nothing.

To be honest, don't expect them to flat out say too much about next gen games.. if they do, awesome, but I expect just something like SW 1313 and vague hinting about it being on a new unannounced console. Then again, Destiny may show up, and it according to that old contract should come out for both the next gen Xbox and 360.. so maybe they will be a little less vague.

Green Yoshi

A Broken Sword 5 trailer would be nice, but that's unrealistic.

I think there could be new Beyond, The Last of Us and God of War: Ascension trailers.

Is Rockstar Games "Agent" still in development?

Am I the only one who understands that the term "next gen" logically means the generation after Playstation 4, Xbox 720 and Wii U? Since the Wii U launched, "this gen" is Wii U, Ouya, Playstation 4 and Xbox 720.

derFeef

Am I the only one who understands that the term "next gen" logically means the generation after Playstation 4, Xbox 720 and Wii U? Since the Wii U launched, "this gen" is Wii U, Ouya, Playstation 4 and Xbox 720.

Yeah I guess you are the only one. That said, next gen is just a term for upcoming hardware generation of consoles.

logical as that is , no one is gonna think of it that way for a good while.

Many any and all promo art for LoS2 is just like spoiler central for those who haven't beat the first. D: (I am one of these people...fucking electric puzzle)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's the definition of next gen that no one except pedants cares about. Everyone else just wants to see something that would pass as CG but is running in real time.

jaypah

That's the definition of next gen that no one except pedants cares about. Everyone else just wants to see something that would pass as CG but is running in real time.

yeah, it's like George Carlin. "fuck getting ON the plane, I'm gettin' IN the plane". Shit man, just show me some tessellated shit already.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
World-wide stream?! YES! Thank you, based-Geoff (cue pic of Geoff as a Mountain Dew/Doritos pope).

EDIT: Thank you mods who changed the thread title.

Phinor

Worldwide live streaming is fantastic, but sadly they've changed the schedule from last year so the event starts at 4am local time. So does anyone know if there will be some sort of archived video available? Preferably one you could access without having to open for example gametrailers.com front page (because that will very likely spoil the winners etc. in a matter of seconds).

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I just did the math and realised this thing goes down at 3am over here. This is messed up. Not sure I can pull an all-nighter for this..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom