• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Single-Player Impressions & Gameplay

0racle

I never played a splatoon game before, I have no reference to the original and its length. What can I realistically expect from the single player?

Anteo

I never played a splatoon game before, I have no reference to the original and its length. What can I realistically expect from the single player?

A small campaing, and a great final boss. The game is more about the online multiplayer than singleplayer really.

maxcriden

Eurogamer have their thoughts as well. They say the campaign is around 6 hours long.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-11-splatoon-2-single-player-review

How long would they say the first one is? Like do they say this one is longer?

First one probably took 6-7 hours for me to 100%. Probably would've been a little less if I went for the hidden item the first time through a level. No idea if this game will have a hidden collectible in each level also. It was great fun though and as someone said above the final boss was amazing, one of the best in years. If you ever get a chance to play through the first game's SP I definitely recommend it.

DNAbro

Eurogamer have their thoughts as well. They say the campaign is around 6 hours long.

When it all comes together - and there are some pretty devious challenges later on in the campaign I can't go into too much detail on - it's the measure of any other single-player Nintendo action game in recent memory, all topped off by the greatest credits sequence there's been in many a year

I'm so curious what this is. I wonder if the writer played Nier Automata because it's whole ending credits sequence was one of the most brilliant things I have played.

Come on now...Splatoon is a successful new ip...it's not that big.

I am curious if this has enough single player content to buy at launch.

It's almost beginning to rival Dragon Quest in Japan, it's most certainly that big at least over there. And it sold almost 5 million units on a dead console with an install base of 13 million. For its first installment.

Splatoon 2's sales potential is enormous.

Come on now...Splatoon is a successful new ip...it's not that big.

If by "not that big" you mean "the 15th-ish highest-selling title Nintendo released in the last six years." (After Pokemon, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life, and Luigi's Mansion 2.)

Being up there with Smash and Animal Crossing in terms of sales is an incredible feat.

DNAbro

If by "not that big" you mean "the 15th-ish highest-selling title Nintendo released in the last six years." (After Pokemon, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life, and Luigi's Mansion 2.)

Being up there with Smash and Animal Crossing in terms of sales is an incredible feat.

It's also the biggest new IP in Japan since Yokai Watch I believe and the biggest new console IP since the "Wii" series also in Japan. One of the few console games to even reach a million sales in last few years.

Splatoon was an overwhelming success and 2 is going to probably be one of the best selling games on the console.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow for some reason I thought the game coming out this month was a Splatoon Deluxe edition similar to MK8 for the Switch. I had no idea they were calling this Splatoon 2. Holyshit man I am hyped and obviously way out of the fucking loop

Blunoise

so whats that item beside the scroll, is that info for the salmon, which I believe will end up as the real villain towards the end of the game.

Its time for the squids and octopus to be friends once again. it would awesome if you see DJ octavio and grandpa dance together for the finale showdown against the salmon

Mezoly

Oh wow That's more than I thought. I think that cemented my purchase decision. I was buying it for multiplayer anyway but I usually only play 10 hours of multiplayer games before I get bored so extra single player hours is an awesome bonus.
Obviously you can't quantify game worth by hours played but I haven't played the first one so I don't know what I'm getting into. I'll try to find time for the splatfest this weekend.

Not the longest thing in the world (maybe 5-6 hours for a straight first playthrough), but generally filled with ideas and great level design and bosses and pretty good replay value.

samred

We're passing on a formal writeup at Ars for now because of how limited the preview embargo is. I posted this in the meantime at the Tweeters:

S8FDjmn.png

XDMGAwt.png

MLVkSJ4.png

And I otherwise wholly concur with dark1x's DF analysis, based on the content we are and are NOT allowed to share thus far.

Oh, and the button-tapping music mini-game is awesome, but I haven't spent enough time on it to see if/what it might unlock. normal and hard button-tap challenges (Parappa-ish but with some nice "2/4 buttons at once" tweaks).

Ridley327

We're passing on a formal writeup at Ars for now because of how limited the preview embargo is. I posted this in the meantime at the Tweeters:

And I otherwise wholly concur with dark1x's DF analysis, based on the content we are and are NOT allowed to share thus far.

Oh, and the button-tapping music mini-game is awesome, but I haven't spent enough time on it to see if/what it might unlock. normal and hard button-tap challenges (Parappa-ish but with some nice "2/4 buttons at once" tweaks).

That's clearly great news if you were so difficult to convert in the first place to heap such praise at it now.

Falchion

Nice, I really want to play through the story of the first before I get 2 but it's way too expensive to be worth it. Nintendo needs a Gamers Choice or something with older titles priced at $20.

Steiner

Banned
Here's my preview for WWG.

It's pretty extensive, and I had to stop writing before I got carried away and went into review territory. I touched on a few points there, but feel free to reach out with questions and I'll answer if it's within the bounds of the emargo.

A note I made in the preview about ink (one of my favorite upgrades):

...Even the ink looks much better.

I'm serious. Looking at all of the beautiful ink and flying colors in the original Splatoon was such a psychedelic pleasure, and Nintendo has made the ink in Splatoon 2 even more alluring by adding in these granular, triangular sparkles. I'm not even sure how to describe them. The ink looks a bit like that pretty blue whitening toothpaste you've seen with all of the shining flakes inside of it. In the picture below you can vaguely make out the shining bits I'm describing, but in-game they really do add a mesmerizing layer of life and texture to your ink. I found myself slowly tilting the camera to shine the light across my ink at different angles -- I felt like a kid staring at an oil spot in the street. It's a neat artistic addition that, while seemingly arbitrary, makes the game even more beautiful in motion.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Eurogamer said:
There's a bit more confidence in how Splatoon 2 carries itself, and a bit more craft to its levels. There's a bit more focus, too - whereas last time out it felt like some sweet, half-formed spin-off to Super Mario Sunshine, this time out it feels more like the real deal. Splatoon 2 offers a single player adventure that's as deftly made as any mainline Mario game, an elegant exercise in taking a simple mechanic - in this instance shooting colourful jets of ink - and stretching it to near breaking point. The ingenuity and engineering on display here are something to savour.

Eurogamer said:
When it all comes together - and there are some pretty devious challenges later on in the campaign I can't go into too much detail on - it's the measure of any other single-player Nintendo action game in recent memory, all topped off by the greatest credits sequence there's been in many a year.

I seem to have splat myself

Steiner

Banned
I seem to have splat myself

No shit, fam. I'm STILL getting hyped butterflies in my stomach reading other peoples' impressions and thoughts. It's such a special game.

BE WARNED, though. Even though this game is awesome, GAF has been known to hype things up to impossibly high levels; levels that can't be lived up to. You should be really excited about Splatoon 2 and everything it does (and does well), but try to keep your slate as blank as possible and leave room to be surprised as the single-player campaign unfolds! I think you'll have more fun that way, as opposed to starting every single stage on the edge of your seat and constantly waiting for THE moment that the game knocks it out of the park.

Relax and play this with an open and curious mind like you did with the first Splatoon, and you're going to be really happy.

NateDrake

I think going into the campaign blind will do people wonders. The preview embargo was surprisingly limited, but for good reason: the campaign has some awesome things that shouldn't be spoiled. It sucks for outlets since it was very limited in terms of what we could show and discuss, but it allows the players to experience the game without feeling like they witnessed all the spectacle and wonder of the game's campaign mode.

I think going into the campaign blind will do people wonders. The preview embargo was surprisingly limited, but for good reason: the campaign has some awesome things that shouldn't be spoiled. It sucks for outlets since it was very limited in terms of what we could show and discuss, but it allows the players to experience the game without feeling like they witnessed all the spectacle and wonder of the game's campaign mode.

Maybe it's because I just stopped right after the cutoff to write my piece, but I hardly felt limited. A lot to talk about in those first three worlds, and a lot of differences from the first game as well.

After seeing how well that worked for Breath of the Wild I think it's a good idea for any Nintendo game to go in without seeing too much. In that way I kinda like how limited the previews are.

Leatherface

I just want to know if the final boss in Splatoon 2 single player mode can possibly top the one from the original, which was one of the most epic and amazing boss fights of all time! :eek:

J@hranimo

Banned

Oh man, that's exciting! Glad to hear.

Also thanks for uploading Turquoise October. That song is the most Jet Set Radio-esque song and I needed to hear the full thing before release lol. Now the wait will be less painful.

So what I'm getting from these previews:

- The Level design is pretty solid stuff that's worthy of a Nintendo Developer
- There's a lot of Replay Value between new collectibles, upgrades and 9 different weapon types and stage timer.
- The Length isn't hugely different from the original outside that replay value.
- Boss Battles are good and an improvement over the predecessor in overall complexity
- The Intro is a bit slow but levels ramp up in complexity well enough
- The Hub areas have been expanded upon with involving the gimmicks from all the stages like that of the first game only more complex than before which is a good progression. In addition to hiding more secrets and challenges here.
- Also, the rhythm minigame is an enjoyable if shallow romp.
- The Writing is also generally sharper since Marie is awesome.
- Octoling levels also seem much improved since they're more non-linear in progression and Octolings have more varied set ups and attack patterns.
- The final upgrade for the Hero shooter also looks nonsensical.

It seems like a reasonable SMG to SMG2 sequel progression to me. Content seems reasonable overall, no terribly obvious weaknesses, novelty is obviously less notable, but when the dust settles it seems Splatoon 2 lands stronger than many single player shooter campaigns (of Multiplayer based shooters of course) as well as its predecessor.

phanphare

Banned

media blackout it is!

Top Bottom