• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Single-Player Impressions & Gameplay

Maiar_m

I'll not have the chance to play the multiplayer but I wonder if the solo campaign is enough this time around to justify the price.

LotusHD

Banned
EDGE 10 this time? Not 100% sure about this one. Probably a 9 again.

ARMS got a 9, so yea it should probably get a 9 at least. It going higher depends on whether they felt it doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the first game, or if they felt that it is indeed "sequel-worthy", or that this is Splatoon fully realized, or something along those lines lol

From the NintendoWorldReport article "Callie seems to delight in laying down filthy bread puns during the course of the battle."

Story spoiler or probably just a mistake and they meant Marie?

They meant Marie. Callie was on Team Rice during that Splatfest and wouldn't make bread puns.

Also these callbacks to the first game are fantastic.

B00TE

I'm super eager to be able to use other weapons on stages now
after beating them once
, I loved the remixed amiibo stages in the first game but hated that they were locked behind em (even though I was lucky enough to get the 3-pack at launch).

Waji

After seeing how well that worked for Breath of the Wild I think it's a good idea for any Nintendo game to go in without seeing too much. In that way I kinda like how limited the previews are.
If only it could hbe possible with Xenoblade 2 as well...

When a game as little to no chance of being bad, I always wish I could avoid most "spoilers" even light.

noshten

The main thing about Splatoon's SP is that it's a tutorial for onlineplay that was hampered by the ability to use only a single weapon. Having majority of weapon types available in the sequel, having more nuanced platforming options and enemies can definitely prepare you to a certain degree for TurfWar and Ranked.
Personally I had the girl amiibo and played the final boss with a charger a bit before trying to master the weapon and I believe it helped. So I'd recommend new players to experiment in the SP before jumping into the online matches, the most important thing in Splatoon is finding the weapon that compliments your playstyle. Buckets, Gals, Chargers, Shooters, Duallies, Rollers, Brushes, Splatling and Blasters all provide a great variety of play options. Each weapon has a varied requirement in terms of map awareness, aim, platforming/movement, zoning, coverage etc so the campaign this time will be able to prepare new players much better for the online matchmaking.
There is also specials and sub abilities to learn and eventually you can get into the gear perks but those aren't really important in the beginning since it will take a while to build up a wardrobe

I might still be willing to buy it even though I'll miss out on the mp.

I'll not have the chance to play the multiplayer but I wonder if the solo campaign is enough this time around to justify the price.

I don't understand these comments- do you mean you'd seriously buy the game just for single player even though 90% of it is multiplayer? I mean, I guess if you live in a country/area where online gaming is impossible then just playing the single player is better than nothing, but man, you'd have to REALLY love Splatoon to want to pay full price for the fun but unessential single player campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fYiJZ1ej-8

This video spoils the whole
octo samurai
fight.

The
Octo Samurai
boss fight looks freaking great and seems wonderfully different from a Boss that Nintendo generally likes to make (which is usually dodging the boss and hit the weak point to get to the next phase). Here it's far more traditional but it seems like it nails the idea especially with the roller, where you have to take into account making escape routes in order to take on the boss's attack patterns which can be quite complex at times.

The first boss was the more Nintendo esque fight but generally more complex than anything in the previous game (besides the final boss of course) and it looked great presentationally as well.

And man the boss intros in this game are so hype.

Please tell me that the variety in boss design and quality is retained throughout the campaign. Because so far this is a great step up over the bosses in S1 which while they were cool, don't really hold a candle to the duel like Flavor of second boss here or the eccentricity of the first boss.

Maiar_m

I don't understand these comments- do you mean you'd seriously buy the game just for single player even though 90% of it is multiplayer? I mean, I guess if you live in a country/area where online gaming is impossible then just playing the single player is better than nothing, but man, you'd have to REALLY love Splatoon to want to pay full price for the fun but unessential single player campaign.

Well, these comments do question whether the 10 remaining percent of your equation are worth a buy or not, they're not signing a blank check for the game out of any love for it.

If these 10% are still 15h+ of very good platform shooting (?), then yeah I'd still consider it a worthy purchase because the game does look fun. If it is indeed just a warmup mode to teach you not to suck when actually playing the 90% multiplayer meat part of it, I won't purchase, having no friends to play with and not being generally into online modes.

Splatoon 1's solo mode was praised but described as too short to warrant a full-price purchase. There's a chance Splatoon 2 could appeal to solo player even marginally if the campaign length is a bit more padded. I still wouldn't knock the game if it didn't.

Top Bottom