• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

FloatOn

Holy mother of shit. Literally 80% of the people posting are arguing something else entirely...completely disregarding the OP, cause' apparently reading a few sentences is hard.

I agree OP. I'm not sure how much exposure Splatoon will get considering the platform it's on as well it's character design (Brilliant, but no mass appeal). Sunset Overdrive has the potential to reach a significant audience (Or at least commercial success for the XB1). Who knows what intentions Microsoft has for it though. Are they going to heavily push it, or are they just throwing it in to diversify their lineup / portfolio?

yeah this is pretty much derailed at this point. I suppose I could have made a less attention getting thread title and it would have earned a bit more thoughtful response. Thanks for tracking with me.

I like how the OP thinks that shooters are the only stuff that matters in the industry, I mean c'mon OP, creative gameplay/art only matters in these two games because other genres are unimportant?

In the last loooooooonnnng generation wouldn't it be safe to say that shooters were by far the most popular genre? Wouldn't you say that overall they eventually all blended together in a miasma of filling bars and shades of grey?

If either of these change those landscape trends even by a little bit I would consider that pretty damn important.

Colorful art style has and always will be around.

Also I have a feeling whatever Media Molecule is working on will be more important title for this generation. That combined with games like No Man's Sky, Wild, and The Tomorrow Children which will usher in a new era of "mid tier".

Splatoon was the kind of game Nintendo really needed in their library, but I am not sure how much of a ripple effect it will have.

ICPEE

1D2P
dead2.gif

Betty

Banned
Utter nonsense. Splatoon has some unique gameplay but neither of them are revolutionary or even that important.

If color and art design is so important, shouldn't Rime, No Man's Sky and Ori and The Blind Forest be included?

Then there's Mirrors Edge 2, which will easily flatten both the games you mentioned in terms of color and style.

fallingdove

I can't be the only person who thinks the art in Sunset Overdrive looks horrendous.

I am right there with you. I think it looks terrible. But then again, I feel like Art Direction has never been one of Insomniacs strong suits.

These games are far from important though. I would argue that the success of Indie games is much more critical to the industry than anything. While Sunset and Splatoon have a few creative characteristics, they are still derivative of mechanics we see in other games. With Indies, because of their budgets, they have the opportunity to inspire other games with truly original gameplay/art direction.

yeah this is pretty much derailed at this point. I suppose I could have made a less attention getting thread title and it would have earned a bit more thoughtful response. Thanks for tracking with me.

Yeah the more appropriate topic title could have helped. Not to say it's your fault, because people should really read what's in the OP, but as the TC you have to keep in mind the incompetency of whoever may be reading it. I mean, as a topic reader, i'll I make these mistakes too. I assume the vast majority of us will. Not trying to say everyone but me is stupid lol.

i hope some of these new games (not only referencing splatoon) which are a little bit different will inspire other developers not to bet on the same formula every time. but i fear it could only mean some cheap splatoon clones on Wii U etc.

Yeah the more appropriate topic title could have helped. Not to say it's your fault, because people should really read what's in the OP, but as the TC you have to keep in mind the incompetency of whoever may be reading it. I mean, as a topic reader, i'll I make these mistakes too. I assume the vast majority of us will. Not trying to say everyone but me is stupid lol.

Get off your high horse. OP is not difficult to understand, and a lot of people have addressed the fact that neither the art direction or creativity of these games is enough to make even remotely close to "the most important games this generation."

I think it's fine and fitting. Considering how young this generation is, early perception can drastically change what's greenlit by publishers for the next 3-4+ years (Hence, the importance).

This thread and a few others really indicate just how bad this place is getting when it comes to actual, intelligent discussion.

This thread and a few others really indicate just how bad this place is getting when it comes to actual, intelligent discussion.

Maybe because refuting the idea that these games are the most important games this generation because of their creativity and art style takes about two sentences?

Get off your high horse. OP is not difficult to understand, and a lot of people have addressed the fact that neither the art direction or creativity of these games is enough to make even remotely close to "the most important games this generation."

A ton of the comments ITT are trying to argue something that isn't even TC's point. Just read the thread... lol

People do know that Splatoon is a third person shooter, don't they - not an FPS like the OP mentions? Although I agree that it looks like an interesting and creative entry in the genre.

Sunset Overdrive I'm far less convinced about, however. I don't think it looks especially inventive, although it has a very lovely art style. My spider sense tells me that the mission design is going to be incredibly repetitive.

While Sunset and Splatoon have a few creative characteristics, they are still derivative of mechanics we see in other games. With Indies, because of their budgets, they have the opportunity to inspire other games with truly original gameplay/art direction.

Yeah, but the point to be made is, inspired is one thing...whether a publisher is willing to make more AAA aesthetically unique / creative games is the concern. Indies have that in spades.

I think it's fine and fitting. Considering how young this generation is, early perception can drastically change what's greenlit by publishers for the next 3-4+ years (Hence, the importance).

There are in fact people here who thoughtfully engaged with the topic. Perhaps respond to them instead?

I reread the OP, and I still don't understand the basis by which he/she makes this statement. This seems like another "I hate grey/brown shooters" thread. Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive aren't the only games that are colorful and different. There have been some already released, and there will be more released afterwards no matter how badly those could might flop.

Furthermore, even if these two games really were the only colorful/interesting shooters for years on consoles it is highly unlikely that either would have a big enough impact on the industry to call them, even potentially, the most important games of the generation.

It really is laughable OP. Sorry.

I really don't see how your two points make them the most important games of this generation. As a Ratchet and Clank fan, SO looks like familiar territory. Specifically in unconventional weaponry. It's just Insomniac being Insomniac. Artistically, sure they look cool, but is it gonna shake up the genre? Will every other third person or first person shooter suddenly adopt a colorful aesthetic? I highly doubt it.

phanphare

Banned
People do know that Splatoon is a third person shooter, don't they? Although I agree that it looks like an interesting and creative entry in the genre.

Sunset Overdrive I'm far less convinced about, however. I don't think it looks especially inventive, although it has a very lovely art style. My spider sense tells me that the mission design is going to be incredibly repetitive.

it's not a physics based puzzle game?!?! hype deflated...

FloatOn

Basically what I'm saying is:

- Shooters have been the same old shit for the past 10 years or so.

- Shooters have been the most popular type of game for the past 10 years or so.

- Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive represent a shift in more vibrant shooter design.

- If sucessful Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive may influence other shooters to

A) Utilize creative modes of travel

B) Utilize creative weaponry

C) Utilize a more interesting color scheme

Sorry this has been overly confusing to some of you.

Yeah, but the point to be made is, inspired is one thing...whether a publisher is willing to make more AAA aesthetically unique / creative games is the concern. Indies have that in spades.

exactly this.

Zarovitch

- Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive represent a shift in more vibrant shooter design.

I hope to see more crazy game. Games are not enough arcade like for my taste.

Interfectum

It's not confusing, it's just wrong.

There are already lot of creative shooters out there and these two represent more of that. They are hardly as important as you make it sound and their influence, even if popular, will be minimal at best.

joecanada

Maybe because refuting the idea that these games are the most important games this generation because of their creativity and art style takes about two sentences?

exactly. I don't see why the OP is getting angry about people "not reading the OP" ... it's right there.... game mechanics, art direction, style, etc... we get it... except very few people actually think this is the case.

People do know that Splatoon is a third person shooter, don't they? Although I agree that it looks like an interesting and creative entry in the genre.

Amen to that.

I think Splatoon has both creativity (In design), as well as the aesthetics. Sunset has the aesthetics. We'll have to see on the gameplay, and just how it's fast paced traversal mixes things up.

I'm really not a big Nintendo guy, but they've been quite impressive when it comes to the art / aesthetics of their first party this gen. Whilst Nintendo are generally creative, they tend to recycle their creativeness, if that makes sense. Splatoon just seems really out there....in a good way.

Cess007

Oh look, more people that didn't real the OP, how refreshing.

I read it. I still don't understand how we can determine the art direction of this game IS important to the generation.

If no other studios follows the colorful design, it won't matter. Maybe the title should be "could be the most", with emphasis in "Could" as we just don't know how influential the art design will be in this generation.

In the creativity side, traversal with grinding and stuff has been done before (Insomniac itself has done it before with R&C), as well as unconventional weapons and MP focused on dominating an area rather than just kill enemies.

What i mean is, that we should wait until we see their influence (not their sales) on the on-going generation to call them "important". I wish they succeed (if only to have more variety in the shooter genre; also, personally, yes, i do love the way Sunset Overdrive looks) but saying that they are the most important doesn't make sense to me.

fallingdove

The thing is though that if an indie is wildly successful with a specific type of gameplay, then publishers will be more inclined to create a game with similar aesthetics/mechanics in a AAA game - correct? Again, there is nothing particularly remarkable about what Splatoon or Sunset are doing that other AAA games haven't done previously (both aesthetically/mechanically).

hawk2025

exactly this.

It's not overly confusing. It's that you are describing Ratchet and Clank.

pastrami

exactly this.

I disagree. What about Mirror's Edge? Titanfall (say what you want about the game's aesthetics, the parkour and movement systems looks very good)? Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare? Hell, even COD:AW has some new interesting movement mechanics. The Borderlands games (color + combination of loot/RPG systems)? What about ARMA 3 and the mods it's spawned where people can literally just be paramedics who drive around in ambulances, responding to emergencies. Planetside 2? Massive multiplayer shooter that isn't exactly all brown/gray?

There's a ton of things going on with shooters, and I think it's foolish to point to Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive as the games that could be the game changers for this generation because the game has been changing since...well...forever. It's just that you haven't been paying attention.

exactly this.

So games like Vanquish, Warhawk, TitanFall and Transformers: War for Cybertron feel like typical shooters? Games like Borderlands, Mass Effect, Plants vs. Zombies and BioShock Infinite look like typical shooters? Why not mention Evolve as an important game for the shooter genre?

Because you have a grey/brown shooter complex. Not every shooter last generation was like that, and not every shooter this generation is like that.

collige

Banned
To me, it seems like both those games (moreso Splatoon) are just taking influence from one of the most important games from last gen: Team Fortress 2.

it's not a physics based puzzle game?!?! hype deflated...

Sorry, I didn't properly emphasise what I was trying to say. The OP says a couple of times that Splatoon is an FPS, but it's not; it's a third person shooter. So technically these two are in the same genre, albeit doing vastly different things.

I don't really know why you think this is some new vibrant shift in the shooter genre. Off the top of my head:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
TimeSplitters series
Team Fortress 2
Borderlands
Just Cause 2
Infamous series
Portal series
Mirror's Edge

All of these do a lot of what you're saying; most of them with a good sense of humour and an interesting art style too. COD and Battlefield may dominate the genre, but they're not the only shooters out there.

BasilZero

I doubt it OP

Both games are gonna be overshadowed by other games coming out around their time of release. Both will have some sort of impact but not to the point where they will be considered the most important in the generation.

I am also sure there will be other games that have evolved the fps genre as the post above has mentioned games like portal and borderlands.

These games might be the most important games for those type of games (i.e. Cartoony shooter fun games)

But as a whole for this generation.. I don't think they are. If Ubisoft can pull off The Division, then I think that would be the one of the most important games of this generation.. Or No Mans Sky.

Destiny was supposed to be the "game changer", but while it is a fun game to play, it definitely was not the game everyone was expecting.

-griffy-

Banned

Well, if we come right down to it, I'm not sure either of these games are doing anything all that new or special in any of these ways, which is why your declarative statement in the thread title is causing such distraction. Your reasoning doesn't really track with the thought.

Creative modes of travel - I'd argue Splatoon is far more innovative than Sunset Overdrive here. The fact that your ink opens up faster travel, and that ink is dynamic based on where your team sprays it on the environment, makes it undeniably unique. But so unique that I'm not sure it's a mechanic that could really be borrowed by other games.

SO is just really compiling things that many other games have already done many times into it's movement system in a (hopefully) slick way. We've seen rail grinding increasing movement speed in countless games, from Tony Hawk to Insomniac's own Ratchet and Clank series. Even other open world games like Infamous have used the mechanic as modes of character locomotion.

Creative weaponry - Splatoon doesn't seem all that creative on this front, as most of its weapons just seem like your usual weapons in a third person shooter with a slight "ink" characteristic.

Sunset Overdrive definitely has wacky weapons, but that is par for the course with Insomniac games, even in their "serious" games like Resistance, and the combinations of different items to make new crazy weapons against hordes of enemies in Dead Rising doesn't make SO feel particularly innovative on this front.

Colorful art direction - Splatoon isn't really all that different from any other Nintendo game in this regard, except it looks like it just has uglier art direction than their flagship games. It looks like a crappy kids cartoon on Nickelodeon from a character/environment design perspective.

Sunset Overdrive has a more cohesive "voice" to its style, but it doesn't look all that unique. Enemy designs look like amalgamations of things we've seen in games like Left 4 Dead's bloater and any other generic "monster" designs from many other games, from Far Cry's trigen to Doom 3's hellknights. Character design is kind of your usual punk/"attitude" look with cutoff denim vests and colorful shoes and bright logos that we've seen in things from Infamous: Second Son to even the player avatars in Rock Band. The most interesting thing they are doing visually is with their explosions, which is obviously borrowed from comic books.

Outside of that, nothing in the games stand out as particularly new or innovative. Splatoon is just another variation on team-based shooters, and Sunset Overdrive is another open world action game. That's not to say the games look bad or anything, they both look perfectly competent with great promise.

Certainly nothing that would make waves through the industry leading to direct inspiration among and outside their own genres, like your Halos or Uncharteds or Call of Duty 4s or Team Fortress 2s.

Begaria

People comparing SO with Infamous. WTF?

There are a lot of similarities in gameplay mechanics: grinding, third person shooting, traversal, quarantined cities as playgrounds, etc. They are certainly tonally different in terms of narrative and style, but mechanically you can draw a lot of comparisons.

Top Bottom