• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't be the only person who thinks the art in Sunset Overdrive looks horrendous.

Why put those games above such titles like No Man's Sky or Star Citizen?

They are just as colorful and creative as well as being far more ambitious.

Splatoon has potential to be another Smash depending on how Nintendo promotes the multiplayer but that along with SO are far from being called important GotG this early in.

This is the type of game that could be very important for pushing the envelope for game world size and scope. It may not live up to its lofty ambitions but it's certainly one of those games that is attempting to push us to the next stage of simulated experiences.

Silky

Banned
Then you must be a young man. COD2 was a very important an popular game. It was the peak of the Medal of Honor era shooters, which in their day were the most popular FPS out. COD2 was a launch games on the 360 and a first for a game typically associated with the PC. I don't think any of that was missed by Insomniac who was developing Resistance at that time. Hence their sci-fi shooter went back to the 50s and suddenly looked a lot like a WW2 shooter.

So going by your last post, you think that a sci-fi shooter set in the 50s isn't exactly a unique thing because CoD 2 exists?

Noooooottt because in that time frame H2 was still an incredibly popular console shooter, or--and this is a wild idea--that Insomniac generally wanted to change their direction with Resistance because 'they' wanted to? Like with Fuse?

Synth

Captain Toad is more important than either of them. An A+ platformer without a jump button.

I probably need to just educate myself on this game... but in the spirit of true laziness, I'm just going to ask you.

What makes it a platformer in this case?

Begaria

The cars function as jump pads. Why? Because they need to for gameplay purposes, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Now how many games do that? Even in stuff like Jet Set Radio, when you see a car... it's a fucking car. I appreciate just how much Sunset Overdrive is willing to accept that it's a game, and things aren't required to match the expectations we would have of their real-life counterpart. Infamous, Tony Hawk, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Jet Set Radio etc... simply wouldn't do these things.

I can't remember a game like it that let me bounce on cars, etc.

I haven't played Second Son (only played some of the original Infamous), but I'd be very surprised if what you're describing bare any real similarity to my example. The top of the cars aren't just some platform with some flexibility, They are legitimately jump pads... like jumping on a spring in Sonic. You can't stand on the top of one for example.

It's complete nonsense, but the game does it anyway, because it's the best purpose they could find for cars you can't drive.

I'd equate the cars in Sunset Overdrive as trampolines rather than "jump pads". The cars in the inFamous games function as "launch pads" - you don't continuously bounce like you do in SO, but they can be used to give you propelled movement.

For some examples, here's a couple of ways you can utilize the cars in inFamous 2 to gain some height:
http://youtu.be/A3HG4Hbo9bA
http://youtu.be/wLbOxfp_A7g

And in inFamous: Second Son, there's a built in power to launch right off of vehicles:
http://youtu.be/7kOBQMPn6iU?t=46m14s

So while it's not quite the same as the trampoline effect in SO, inFamous still utilizes cars in interesting methods to increase your traversal methods.

No, and they wont even be most important games in the months they release..

Looking at the games of November, Sunset Overdrive doesn't look to have much competition in terms of "important" games.

And Splatoon doesn't have a release date more specific than "2015" yet.

So your post is very presumptuous.

Then again, it depends on how we define "important."

Mihos

Gold Member
I can't be the only person who thinks the art in Sunset Overdrive looks horrendous.

Reminds me of those 'TO THE EXTREME!" games of the 90s.

Splatoon just looks like Nintendo they had a genre they needed a checkbox in.

Neither one interest me, really.

Xane

Don't forget Star Citizen.

Almost the whole gaming industry is looking up to them curiously hoping they won't fuck up as they're trying a one-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

Sunset Overdrive really is the game that makes me consider getting an xbox one. There just isn't enough other stuff on the console for me personally since I already have a PS4. I really hope it does well though. It looks fun as all hell and we need more color and silly fun in the industry.

Almost the whole gaming industry is looking up to them curiously hoping they won't fuck up as they're trying a one-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.
That game scares me. I know it probably won't but if that game, by some act of God, turns out to be bad I feel like the backlash will be something fierce.

You're right it should be on the list.

What? They're just third-person shooters?

"Oh no the games industry is going to fail me if they don't start producing TPSs with an aesthetic that appeals to me!!!"

Something like No Man's Sky and the public's reception to that is more important, if it catches the eye of the Minecraft crowd who don't need to kill and receive instruction to enjoy a game.

SerTapTap

With that case I just hope no one starts thinking it's some sort of standard or reliable thing that indies should be expected to do.

nynt9

Grimløck;135552940 said:
sunset overdrive, while potentially awesome, looks like a mishmash of your popular, over-the-top action games such as ratchet and clank, dead rising, infamous, jet-set radio, etc. nothing i have seen demonstrates novelty.

I agree. While I think that it's nice that they're trying to go with a less-used art style, the traversal methods aren't completely unique, unlike Splatoon.

"Most important" is a ridiculous overstatement, especially for SO.

-griffy-

Banned
l mean, certainly more games could use unique art styles, but most important games of the generation? Might be a wee bit of an overstatement there. Neither game is even out yet, for all we know they could be completely derivative, boring games with colorful art.

Way too grand of a statement to make about games before release. It's not even something you can really accurately determine until the generation is over, to be frank.

Synth

I'd equate the cars in Sunset Overdrive as trampolines rather than "jump pads". The cars in the inFamous games function as "launch pads" - you don't continuously bounce like you do in SO, but they can be used to give you propelled movement.

For some examples, here's a couple of ways you can utilize the cars in inFamous 2 to gain some height:
http://youtu.be/A3HG4Hbo9bA
http://youtu.be/wLbOxfp_A7g

And in inFamous: Second Son, there's a built in power to launch right off of vehicles:
http://youtu.be/7kOBQMPn6iU?t=46m14s

So while it's not quite the same as the trampoline effect in SO, inFamous still utilizes cars in interesting methods to increase your traversal methods.

I guess "trampolines" isn't a bad description... you could refer to springs in Sonic games as those too I guess. I personally preferred the use of "jumps pads", as much like Sonic you don't require any significant downforce for them to send you flying. If there's a platform 1cm above the spring/car and you walk onto it, you go flying still. You can stand on a trampoline on the other hand. It's not an important distinction though I guess lol. When I say jump pads, I'm basically thinking of Quake 3 Arena style pads.

The Infamous stuff you show is interesting, but the cars themselves behave in a way that isn't far removed from what I would expect. Your character causes the car to launch, and then you use to upwards momentum to reach higher. The car in this case could have been all sorts of solid objects, and this logic would still make sense. These movements are really your character's ability's rather than a property of the cars themselves. The actual cars function as standard, very believable vehicles/objects.

Holy mother of shit. Literally 80% of the people posting are arguing something else entirely...completely disregarding the OP, cause' apparently reading a few sentences is hard.

I agree OP. I'm not sure how much exposure Splatoon will get considering the platform it's on as well it's character design (Brilliant, but no mass appeal). Sunset Overdrive has the potential to reach a significant audience (Or at least commercial success for the XB1). Who knows what intentions Microsoft has for it though. Are they going to heavily push it, or are they just throwing it in to diversify their lineup / portfolio?

Important? Maybe, though I wouldn't say they're likely to affect that much in the grander scheme even if they're rather successful.

The most important? Hell no.

bahaha. What is this madness? Two mediocre games at best.
A Playstation guy shitting on a Nintendo game and an XB1 exclusive.. Huh.

Just kidding. But seriously, it's pretty safe to say that at least Splatoon will quite likely get mostly good or very good reviews. You might not like it and that's fine, but it does seem quite innovative in its genre and the gameplay seems interesting and well functional so far.
Sunset Overdrive looks fairly innovative too. And no, not because of the colors but because of things like the gameplay and the humor.

Chobel

I like how the OP thinks that shooters are the only stuff that matters in the industry, I mean c'mon OP, creative gameplay/art only matters in these two games because other genres are unimportant?

v0yce

pttLJEK.jpg

MOAR COLOR!!!!!

Peltz

Obviously, this is going to differ heavily from person to person but, to me, neither game is really important in the grand scheme of the industry even if they look like cool games.

To me, Final Fantasy XV has far more "weight" on it's shoulders and it's reception (either negative or positive) will have more bearing on the AAA landscape than any other game.

I actually felt the same thing about FFXIII last generation. It's perceived shortcomings really shaped the way we view the current AAA landscape. Imagine if it were universally praised... I think we'd see a more even blend of western and Japanese AAA influence and experimentation on consoles these days.

No other game has quite as much riding on its shoulders with perhaps the exception of Zelda U and/or No Man's Sky.

Dezben

Banned
I realized i'm still new here but sometimes I kind of feel like GAF is like a contest to see who can make the most self-important thread topics or something.

zruben

Banned
Sunset Overdrive will be important... it will sell like pancakes thanks to the heavy marketing campaign.

Splatoon will suffer the fate of every Nintendo game that isn't Mario or Zelda. Top quality stuff, totally ignored and selling like shit.

Cess007

Shouldn't we wait until both games are released (and people actually have the chance to play it plenty) in order to label them important?

Top Bottom